Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
is sarcoidosis linked to burn pit exposure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

There are tradeoffs. I pay AT&T $57 for 6GB...I rarely approach it and I also get rollover so I usually have about 10GB available. But TM has restrictions like SD streaming on their unlimited plan, which I don't have to deal with. It's pretty subjective as far which is a better deal, but TM doesn't have a magenta plus plan for a single line, and that's all I'd be interested in.

Magenta plus isn't listed on the website for a single line, but they have no problem adding it. It's an extra $15/mo though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AFStealth posted:

Magenta plus isn't listed on the website for a single line, but they have no problem adding it. It's an extra $15/mo though.

Good to know, if I ever lose my current plan/pricing. I'm paying slightly less than that now. lovely they don't put it online though, I probably would've switched a couple years ago.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Hello! I don't know anything about veteran benefots, but my partner has a friend who's been out of the marines for about five years now. He doesn't have insurance (he and his girlfriend are looking at getting him insured under Covered California). I know he is suffering from depression and has had suicidal thoughts/ideation, according to his girlfriend. The tl;dr we got (again, I know nothing about the VA) was that he needed a note from a doctor verifying he has physical problems stemming from his service to get covered by the VA and that his mental health problems didn't qualify. He doesn't know where to start especially since he doesn't currenlty have insurance and I was hoping someone might have some pointers. Sorry to not have more helpful details.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

bartlebee posted:

his mental health problems didn't qualify.
This is not true afaik. I can't really answer this decisively, but I'm sure if he contacts the local VA hospital and explains the situation he'll get help at least.

I don't know about how it works, but https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/ serves this exact purpose.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He needs to enroll for VA medical care at the local VA medical facility. They will still take care of him. I didn't claim my mental health poo poo until 6 or so years after I got out. I already had disability for my back, so it made the process easier for me, but they never denied me service for mental health from discharge, and the most I paid was like $8/mo for all the medication (a decade ago, it might have gone up).

Hell, my brother has no ratings, didn't set foot in a VA until a decade after his discharge, and now gets his type 2 wilford brimleys meds from the VA, without outside health insurance. Pays a pittance compared to paying for insurance, which he can't afford. They take his income into consideration, but after accounting for his flock of children, he pays poo poo.

Tell him to go, in person if needed. Call the local VA medical center, ask to enroll, and request a mental health consult. Once he has evidence building up from several appointments, contact DAV or another veterans representative services and file a claim.

If he's having suicidal ideations, he might benefit from just walking into a VA ER and checking in to mental health for a week or two.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 20, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had a good initial phone call with my PCP yesterday and blood work done this morning. Was in and out of the small clinic here and on to other Friday errands. Then again my only chronic issue is gout, needed the blood work before she'd prescribe for that, so not exactly a difficult patient

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Went into VA yesterday for an exam. They were gonna put me under anesthesia, have 3-4 surgeons examine me, form opinions, wake me up and discuss. Instead I woke up and they did surgery anyway even though I made it clear I did not consent to anything outside of an exam and they agreed and assured me nothing would be done. Sent me home that day (after 9 hours or so total) with a JP drain tube and some pain meds. They had to rip a wound vac out of me before I left that they put in wrong and seemingly for no reason. No post care instructions for going to bathroom and bandaging myself up again. I called the Gen surgeon on call, no answer. Called triage nurse who yelled at me and then told me to get two mirrors. Don't have two mirrors, so I was instructed to drive to the store and buy 2 mirrors. Then the doorbell rang and she said, verbatim, "maybe whoever that is has a mirror you can use."

My in-home nurse decided not to come today because she didn't feel like it. My VA notes apparently say they told my dad what to do but he said they didn't at all.

Who the gently caress do I call to complain in the morning, patient advocacy? There's 0 reason to have done a procedure and I was lied to, on top of that I asked to be admitted but since I was all loopy they basically tricked me into going home. I'm still not 100% clear headed yet and in considerable pain.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Go to a real hospital if it gets worse.

Patients Advocates and call your congresscritters office now.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Go to a real hospital if it gets worse.

Patients Advocates and call your congresscritters office now.

Will do. Gonna try and get a hold of whatever paperwork they had me sign yesterday, because I'm sure there's some clause in there to gently caress me over but I'm not gonna let this poo poo go. I figured it was PA but wanted to be sure.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, patients advocate is for when you don't want to step on toes too hard. Congresscritters are for bringing in a hammer, unless your congresscritter sucks.

Honestly, if you're not seeing improvement, you might go check into a real hospital anyhow to find out what they hosed up.

You'll need to go to the VA to get copies of paperwork if you don't have a MyHealthEVet account. Records department, usually buried in the basement. Patients Advocate can get it for you, though. If you don't have a myhealthevet account, sign up for one while you're at the VA so they can verify you on the spot.

I don't know if it will do any good, but you might consider contacting your local DAV rep, too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 6, 2020

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You'll need to go to the VA to get copies of paperwork if you don't have a MyHealthEVet account. Records department, usually buried in the basement.

Release of information is the only place that will release records, even if you are asking for your own records.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I thought you could view records on myhealthevet? I'm not the most familiar with it so thank you for chiming in.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Ziji posted:

Medical malpractice by the VA

That sequence is hosed up beyond my words. If that was a civilian practice you could probably sue the gently caress out of them for operating on you without your informed consent, not sure what your options are with the VA.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Basically get a veterans benefits lawyer and sue for 100% plus legal fees, maybe a small cash payout.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought you could view records on myhealthevet? I'm not the most familiar with it so thank you for chiming in.

You can view them and print them on myhealthevet but if you are looking for something that isn’t added yet, release of information is where you go inside the building.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Sarah posted:

You can view them and print them on myhealthevet but if you are looking for something that isn’t added yet, release of information is where you go inside the building.

Thank you I'll call them first thing in the morning.

Edit: finally spoke to a surgeon, it was an emergency surgery and not something they just randomly decided to do. So I guess that makes it better in my eyes and not some wild malpractice thing. It still loving sucks and doesn't excuse their piss poor after care (my nurse service might get cancelled now because of them), but at least it wasn't some cowboy poo poo in the OR where they just decided what they were gonna do without consulting me on purpose. It would have helped if they gave me proper discharge paperwork and/or explained it to me though. Crisis averted I guess.

Ziji fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 7, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So getting settled into our new location I had a phone call with my new VA PCP, blood draw, and got my RX from the Doc and all is good.

I am going to be starting a new job Tuesday and will be back using BCBS. I consider myself a man of modest intelligence but having read the VA's page here (https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_va_other_insurance.asp) I feel no closer to understanding how the VA works with private insurance.

Would someone mind helping me out with this one, please and thank you?

Edit: After looking at the differences in plans with BCBS and VA, my real question is that BCBS charges a co-pay of $150 for urgent care visits whereas VA is free for the first three and $30 after. I was just trying to figure out how that interacts.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 14, 2020

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Logging onto tricare-overseas.com to submit claims for mental health that I've been paying out of pocket for while living in Germany, I decided to look into what coverage I actually have and this showed:

I never changed anything, so is there a reason that Tricare Plus With Tricare for Life expired? Or is Tricare Plus with Retired Select better? I'm medically retired at 70%, was retired in April of 2015, so I'm also not sure why the listed coverages start in 2017, but it also appears to expire today for some reason?

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 14, 2020

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Hey can someone help me with This VA disability pay versus drill pay thing and also explain it like I’m 5. I’m 30% rated and also drilling O3/8 years. My understanding was that the VA would pay me for the days that I’m not in BA but now I’m seeing it as more of an either or situation. Either I get disability pay or I get drill pay? Is that right?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You can’t receive pay from the Army and VA on the same day, AFAIK it usually makes more sense to lose a few days of VA pay.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Flying_Crab posted:

You can’t receive pay from the Army and VA on the same day, AFAIK it usually makes more sense to lose a few days of VA pay.

Okay so I’m not getting paid for the two days I’m on IDT or BA, so I miss out on 2/30 days worth of disability pay, per month roughly?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

Okay so I’m not getting paid for the two days I’m on IDT or BA, so I miss out on 2/30 days worth of disability pay, per month roughly?

It's actually 4/30 because they track it based on UTA count/ active duty day count. They won't actually not pay you the disability, you'll get a letter from the va after the end of the fy saying that the guard/reserves reported you did x number of duty days and it should match the total performance fy xx block on your last les for the fy. Then they'll reduce your disability payment going forward to offset the debt if it's not huge.

If it's big like it's going to be for me because I came on orders to deploy last month they still won't stop the disability pay and they'll send me a letter in a few months wanting all the money back right now.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
If anyone ever has to go to the Detroit VA: don't. Go to a different one. Currently admitted here until TBD because of their piss poor excuse for surgical care, infection, etc. They try to send me home every single day but admit theres no way I can be cared for on my own / at home. Just beware this hell hole.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I haven't searched the thread because there's a lot, question is anyone have experience with their VA priority group for health care being bumped? I eclipsed income for the all expenses covered with 0% disability by 850 and the woman I talked to regarding questions about being moved to group 8, the reduced cost group, didn't help answer anything (very surprising, I thought VA staff would be helpful and engaged). According to the site I should be good to go for reduced cost since my income is lower than the max for all costs covered + 10% but who loving knows, nobody I spoke with on their end was helpful or even offered information beyond what I found online.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

maffew buildings posted:

I haven't searched the thread because there's a lot, question is anyone have experience with their VA priority group for health care being bumped? I eclipsed income for the all expenses covered with 0% disability by 850 and the woman I talked to regarding questions about being moved to group 8, the reduced cost group, didn't help answer anything (very surprising, I thought VA staff would be helpful and engaged). According to the site I should be good to go for reduced cost since my income is lower than the max for all costs covered + 10% but who loving knows, nobody I spoke with on their end was helpful or even offered information beyond what I found online.

You need to fill out a means test form and turn it in to the VA. I am not sure where who to turn it in to in person.

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-10ezrfill.pdf

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Got my rating of 80% yesterday after waiting 10 months. Are there any specific benefits for a percentage like that besides VA Healthcare?

Also I plan on doing follow up appointments for my conditions claimed and have heard if you aren't seen frequently enough you can lose your rating. Is this true and if so how often is often enough appointments wise? I ask because with my new job I won't be able to take time off for appointments for at least 6 months.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Out of curiosity, did you file right away at separation?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Godholio posted:

Out of curiosity, did you file right away at separation?

I was on track to file while in during the 180 day window but the VSO i went through screwed up and didn't submit my stuff and told me they did. So I ended up outside the fast track window and had to do my compensation appointments once I got out. Its been almost 10 months and finally got my rating.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I will be doing my final retirement physical next week. Once it is complete, I will be off to file a disability claim with the VA. I notice that there are several veteran's service organizations that assist with claims. I have tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and am certain I will have both a DOD and VA disability rating, which makes me think I am eligible to use DAV, VFW, American Legion or whatever else.

I am leaning towards the DAV since the local dude came to the retirement seminar and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. However, I want to make sure that there is no benefit to using another VSO that I am not tracking. Also, any general advice on how to prepare for this is welcomed. I am in completely uncharted territory but I suspect I have enough things seriously broken that I am looking at a high percentage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
DAV.

They handle more claims and often have reps chilling at the hospitals. I'd go with them first.

I used VFW for my initial claim and it was more headaches than it was worth. The doctor they lined me up to see wound up trying to bill me directly, so they were sending me a bill back to their own (the doctors offices') address for years before I knew what was going on and wrecking the poo poo out of my credit.

DAV hasn't hosed up for me once, and I used them for both my increase in 2013 and my IU claim this year.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I used Amvets and they were top notch. Also if you have injuries while on active duty, a line of duty investigation is really valuable when dealing with the VA. It's just a sworn statement saying you got broke and others know about it.

Get copies of your medical records if you haven't already. When you submit your claims through the VA, list everything. You may get a zero percent on something but at least it's documented so 10 years from now when it's really bad, you'll have a trail.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I had good success with my county's VSO, but I didn't have a complicated claim.

Whoever you go with, make an appointment now as there can be a significant wait. Your first action with any VSO will be assigning them as a rep and filing notice for claim. The VSO will submit both to the VA which will start your clock for back pay.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2020

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to go with the DAV since they look like they know what they are doing. I appreciate everyone's input. Here's to hoping this goes relatively smoothly.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Also, echoing complain about every single thing that is wrong about your body and mind. Sleep apnea, tinnitus, etc.

I didn't mention knees because I was going through a Fed civilian hiring physical and didn't want to get denied for a job. Guess whose knees were denied because there was nothing in his record.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
There are a couple different ongoing lawsuits pertaining to discharge type that seem to be getting some traction.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/army-to-weigh-upgrading-less-than-honorable-discharges-11605720688

If you know any veterans with bad paperwork, it might be worth their while to see if these settlements apply to them.

Edit: Text behind paywall:

The Army will reconsider thousands of cases of soldiers who left the service under less-than-honorable conditions, part of a sweeping class-action settlement announced Wednesday that could allow for expanded access to federal and state veterans benefits.

The settlement, negotiated by the Yale Law School Veterans Legal Services Clinic, forces the Army to reconsider thousands of veterans’ appeals to have their discharges upgraded, citing underlying mentalhealth issues, like post-traumatic stress disorder, that led to their departure from the service.
“This settlement is going to prevent former soldiers from going through the horrible traumatic experiences like I did,” said Kris Goldsmith, an Army veteran who appealed several times before the Army upgraded his discharge to honorable and who now advocates for others making similar appeals. “This is the Army catching up with reality.”

The Department of Veterans Affairs referred questions to the Army, which didn’t respond to a request for comment. When soldiers leave the Army, they can be given an honorable discharge or a number of other less-than-honorable discharges, including dishonorable. Once discharged, veterans can appeal to the Army for an upgrade, specifically if they claim PTSD, sexual trauma or other mental-health problems contributed to bad behaviors that caused them to be discharged.
A less-than-honorable discharge, also known as a bad-paper discharge, often prevents veterans from getting federal and state veterans benefits including health care and GI Bill benefits. The type of discharge can also hurt them when they apply for jobs. 11/18/20, 22:46 Page 2 of 4 “This is a tremendous milestone because it changes the process for all veterans,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.) a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. “These measures are not selfenforcing. We need continued oversight.”

In 2014, then-Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel directed all branches of the military to give consideration to appeals by veterans claiming PTSD or other mental-health issues as they sought upgrades. Mr. Hagel noted that mental-health conditions often aren’t fully diagnosed until years after leaving the service. Each branch of the military handles its own discharges and appeals for upgrades. The class-action settlement applies only to the Army, but the Yale clinic has a similar lawsuit ongoing with the Navy, said Andrew DeGuglielmo, an intern with the clinic.

The lawsuit will immediately affect more than 3,000 veterans whose upgrades weren’t given proper consideration since 2011 and which will automatically be reconsidered. Any appeals since 2001 that have evidence of mental health-related issues will be invited by the Army to request an upgrade. The service will also implement new annual training for discharge review board members and will provide more information about the process to veterans seeking upgrades. Mr. DeGuglielmo said the clinic estimates that between 50,000 and 100,000 veterans in total were likely discharged under conditions that could be affected by this settlement or by ongoing legal efforts by the clinic.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 19, 2020

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Anyone remember the Burn Pit Registry? I just got a call for a exam in a couple weeks at the VA, apparently they are being scheduled now, years later. It is for research and not ratings although it is being done through Comp and Pension.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MonkeyWash posted:

Anyone remember the Burn Pit Registry? I just got a call for a exam in a couple weeks at the VA, apparently they are being scheduled now, years later. It is for research and not ratings although it is being done through Comp and Pension.

That happened to me around a year ago or so. They're just really slow.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I'm on ebenefits trying to apply for a DAV representative... but there are literally dozens choices them at my local DAV. All same address but with different phone numbers.

Which one do I pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Call their office and they'll likely assign you someone. Tell the person they assign you to what stage you're at, and that you'll be putting them down as your rep.

I would call first just to make sure they're not caught off guard when papers with your name and one of theirs turns up on their desk next week. Also so they don't assign you to someone out sick or on vacation.

You don't have to do this and can just pick a name, but a little forethought goes a long way, and a heads up wouldn't hurt for the reps.