Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
For me, heroes completely ruin the battlefront games. Any time one pops up, it goes from a reasonably fun shooter to “now everyone else gets to eat poo poo for a while”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chglcu posted:

For me, heroes completely ruin the battlefront games. Any time one pops up, it goes from a reasonably fun shooter to “now everyone else gets to eat poo poo for a while”

Same except it's me picking the hero and I die instantly

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

chglcu posted:

I only played a bit but I managed to wreck most hero runs on hoth by riding on one of those abominable snow monster things and *pew* *pew* them to death.

They take it seriously.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

elf help book posted:

I think I understand, I don't play games like that, thank you both

Basically instead of spending your points earned throughout a match on a tank or an air vehicle, you spend them on being darth vader.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Funny enough, BB-8 was the hero I hated running into the most. Tiny, fast, hard to hit, and he has a special ability where he goes into a "spin it to win it" state, flailing everywhere with cables.

Most other heroes run into issues with walkers, flamethrowers, and, on certain maps, air support.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kly posted:

Jeez i just bought this during the steam sale

Same. I already had it the non-complete edition on Origin, but I was willing to pay $14 or whatever for the extra content and to not have to use pissing Origin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kly posted:

Jeez i just bought this during the steam sale

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
If you hook your steam waitlist through isthereanydeal.com, they've had a breach and you need to change your steam password.
I use it to check for freebies and deals.

I haven' heard anything from them, but saw a post in the Steam thread.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

OgNar posted:

If you hook your steam waitlist through isthereanydeal.com, they've had a breach and you need to change your steam password.
I use it to check for freebies and deals.

I haven' heard anything from them, but saw a post in the Steam thread.

Heres the email they sent out

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

OgNar posted:

That's not what that email says, at all. The breach was specific to itad and entirely on their side. Attackers were able to bypass the steam login and enter your itad account, they did not get any steam password info.

And frankly, given how people reuse passwords this is a good example of why steam sign on is useful. itad messed up the implementation so only they are affected, if they messed that up they're also capable of messing up direct sign in, which would be more likely to expose a password.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Well good, just misread then.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

elf help book posted:

I think I understand, I don't play games like that, thank you both

I'm pretty sure that description is wrong. It's just skins - when you are playing a match you get points from doing things (kills, revenge, captures, dying, etc). When you respawn you can either be one of the four main classes or you can spend those points and play as a specialty unit like a rocket trooper, tie fighter, or Bossk. Bossk, Vader, Yoda etc all cost the most to use and there can only one active at a time (and limits on how many total). There's also a mode where everyone plays as hero units so you can enjoy zapping people with lighting bolts.

There's nothing to buy in real money that impacts the game. You might be able to accelerate leveling up characters with real money but I'm not sure, and just playing the game will eventually unlock all abilities,

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zachack posted:

I'm pretty sure that description is wrong. It's just skins - when you are playing a match you get points from doing things (kills, revenge, captures, dying, etc). When you respawn you can either be one of the four main classes or you can spend those points and play as a specialty unit like a rocket trooper, tie fighter, or Bossk. Bossk, Vader, Yoda etc all cost the most to use and there can only one active at a time (and limits on how many total). There's also a mode where everyone plays as hero units so you can enjoy zapping people with lighting bolts.

There's nothing to buy in real money that impacts the game. You might be able to accelerate leveling up characters with real money but I'm not sure, and just playing the game will eventually unlock all abilities,

At Battlefront 2's release, you had to unlock each of the individual hero units like vader/yoda/etc. Either by grinding for credits in game (apparently taking 40 hours to earn enough credits for the most expensive ones like Vader), or by buying real-money lootboxes.

At some point they must've patched the game to rework the lovely unlock system.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Same except it's me picking the hero and I die instantly

Yeah, I never played battlefront 2 but I played enough battlefront 1 that I thought I was okay at the game, whichever team I was on didn't have a worse chance of winning from me being there, but everyone who grabbed a hero thingie seemed to kill a poo poo ton of people unless I did it and died like twenty seconds in.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I never played battlefront 2 but I played enough battlefront 1 that I thought I was okay at the game, whichever team I was on didn't have a worse chance of winning from me being there, but everyone who grabbed a hero thingie seemed to kill a poo poo ton of people unless I did it and died like twenty seconds in.

It's been a while since I played, but usually this just comes down to map knowledge (like a lot of FPS games). Heroes can get killed fast when caught with their pants down out in the open (or by an opposing vehicle or something). Once you know the map, you know the places where you can jump out and get a few kills and then jump back into cover. Having said that, even when I knew the maps this happened to me as Darth Vader every single time I picked him.

Also, a lot of people just collect kills and never really help their side take any objectives and pushing an objective can often get you killed quick if your team doesn't have your back.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

At Battlefront 2's release, you had to unlock each of the individual hero units like vader/yoda/etc. Either by grinding for credits in game (apparently taking 40 hours to earn enough credits for the most expensive ones like Vader), or by buying real-money lootboxes.

It was pretty quick - they removed the unlock system when the removed loot boxes. I think that was less than a month after release?

All characters and vehicles are accessible from the start, but there’s still a leveling system where you unlock weapons and minor ability modifiers as you play.

I found the ground combat a bit too janky for my tastes, but the starship modes were my go-too chill multiplayer for the better part of a year. Once you get into a grove it’s immensely satisfying to pop target after target and weave through debris. The maps can be extremely unbalanced, so you have to be okay with never winning certain maps and just seeing how far you can get.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The Vancouver Titans are giving out free copies of Overwatch along with 200 OWL tokens. Offer appears to be valid for Canadian residents only, but I'm sure there are ways around.

https://contests.vancouvertitans.gg/

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Stickman posted:

It was pretty quick - they removed the unlock system when the removed loot boxes. I think that was less than a month after release?

All characters and vehicles are accessible from the start, but there’s still a leveling system where you unlock weapons and minor ability modifiers as you play.

I found the ground combat a bit too janky for my tastes, but the starship modes were my go-too chill multiplayer for the better part of a year. Once you get into a grove it’s immensely satisfying to pop target after target and weave through debris. The maps can be extremely unbalanced, so you have to be okay with never winning certain maps and just seeing how far you can get.

They changed from lootboxes to XP around a year after launch. The 1-month change was getting rid of the ability to buy lootboxes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

New free game code for casual/hidden object games from Big Fish Games: FREEGAME294489

Reddit thread with some links to recommendations.

There's also a couple new IndieGala Freebies that I don't think have been posted:

Desert Child
Scrap Garden
Super Trench Attack
Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting

...plus some terrible looking stuff

TheAnomaly posted:

They changed from lootboxes to XP around a year after launch. The 1-month change was getting rid of the ability to buy lootboxes.

I guess I got in late enough that I misremembered! It's good that it's fixed now, though - it sounds like it would have been absolutely obnoxious before that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The official EA response defending the lootbox grind system is still the all-time most downvoted comment on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/?context=3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

webmeister posted:

The official EA response defending the lootbox grind system is still the all-time most downvoted comment on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/?context=3

2800 comments to that and I assume the majority of them are some version of "gently caress you."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
why don't you kids love surprise mechanics

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
paying for a game and then paying to skip to the end boss god what a complete lame-rear end generation of kids coming up

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

TheAnomaly posted:

Whoa there. They’re not lootboxes, they’re :toot:~SuRpRiSe MeChAnIcS~ :toot:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

Whoa there. They’re not lootboxes, they’re :toot:~SuRpRiSe MeChAnIcS~ :toot:

Here's a brand new article, in case anyone expected them to stop peddling that unbelievable bullshit;

https://cogconnected.com/2021/01/fifa-ultimate-team-gambling-peter-moore/

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I just found this out, but for anyone else wondering, Crying Suns is a fancier i.e. better FTL. It's definitely worth the pickup IMO, but I know some people just aren't into that kind of game.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Crying suns is weird so far for me. Played through the first 2 chapters and its pretty easy so far even though im playing on normal. Enemies are all gimmicks so they get predictable as you go through the chapter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Little Nightmares, a neat puzzle horror game, is free (Steam key) for EU people (or for anyone who fakes an EU address) at Namco's website.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Buller posted:

Crying suns is weird so far for me. Played through the first 2 chapters and its pretty easy so far even though im playing on normal. Enemies are all gimmicks so they get predictable as you go through the chapter.

The balance seems off to me. Normal squadrons do like 3-7 dps, with some unspecified bonus against one of the other rock-paper-scissors ship types (fighter/drone/frigate). But sometimes you randomly find as loot (or buy for ~150 scrap in a shop), a cruiser that does between 23 and 30 damage per shot, with a 2 or 3 tile attack range when every other ship can only attack 1 tile away. :wtc:
They can't hit stuff that's directly in melee range but just a single lovely mk1 ship can run interference to stop enemies getting close while they keep firing the artillery for 3x more damage than anything else in the game. Or just send out 2-4 at once and have them shoot each others' blind spots.

The most fun battleship to play as so far was the scrapper one that starts with squadrons of nothing but suicide-bomber drones, though.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The balance seems off to me. Normal squadrons do like 3-7 dps, with some unspecified bonus against one of the other rock-paper-scissors ship types (fighter/drone/frigate). But sometimes you randomly find as loot (or buy for ~150 scrap in a shop), a cruiser that does between 23 and 30 damage per shot, with a 2 or 3 tile attack range when every other ship can only attack 1 tile away. :wtc:
They can't hit stuff that's directly in melee range but just a single lovely mk1 ship can run interference to stop enemies getting close while they keep firing the artillery for 3x more damage than anything else in the game. Or just send out 2-4 at once and have them shoot each others' blind spots.

The most fun battleship to play as so far was the scrapper one that starts with squadrons of nothing but suicide-bomber drones, though.

Played crying suns and finished it. The scrapper ship is definitely awesome, but drops off sharply after act 3-4. The quality of enemy ships just outstrips your ability to replace suicide bombers.

The artillery cruisers are legit incredible. They only start to get hard countered by the last two acts, where capital ship class weapons easily pick them off.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saoshyant posted:

Little Nightmares, a neat puzzle horror game, is free (Steam key) for EU people (or for anyone who fakes an EU address) at Namco's website.

Well, I imagined this was for a limited time, but it's not even been 24 hours. It's gone now. Hope whoever wanted it got it.

vvvvvv ah, I missed that, just saw the out of stock sign.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 13, 2021

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Well, I imagined this was for a limited time, but it's not even been 24 hours. It's gone now. Hope whoever wanted it got it.

They're showing this notice on the site:

quote:

The promotion "FREE Little Nightmares” has fallen victim to its success!
The game is temporarily unavailable, but will be back in stock tomorrow and the promotion will continue until 17/02!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tomorrow is Battlefront on Epic

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Indiegala has added a couple new free games, don't know how recent these are as I haven't checked the site recently:

Super Trench Attack

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2033458/movie480.webm?t=1447362735

Desert Child

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256737989/movie480.webm?t=1544490872

Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHClXB45tg

Also, there are some other games that weren't on the list the last time I checked, but all seem to be games that were previously available like Xmas Shooting Scramble, Theatre of War, BorderZone, etc.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I love how everybody in that first game dies with their pants down

and here's an entertaining review for Corrosion. Seems like an okay game that might really sour people with some awful puzzles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUysB0Bszg

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Why is that bad man shooting monkeys in sailor hats?
:mad:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
By far the best part of Crying Suns has been the story. Makes me want to dig out some old grand science fiction books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snail Information posted:

By far the best part of Crying Suns has been the story. Makes me want to dig out some old grand science fiction books.

Elon Musk is currently trying to remake The Moon is a Harsh Mistress except on Mars.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Remember when space fiction was a genre? DOris Lessing owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

They've put the second batch of keys up now