Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Artix posted:

Everything has gone exactly to plan, and we're definitely not scrambling for a third-string plan to beat Malpercio. Definitely not.

So, the secret to defeating Malpercio is smuggling tons of non-native species into Kaffaljidhma so that one shut-in can raise you a mighty army of ducks and bunnycats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Artix posted:

Part 38: The Sanctum of Malpercio
Part 39: A Moment of Respite

And with that, we are now completely caught up. Everything has gone exactly to plan, and we're definitely not scrambling for a third-string plan to beat Malpercio. Definitely not.

I know it's not the first time we've heard the track, but for whatever reason I really like the use of guitar version of The True Mirror when you fight Kalas. And I really like how much more...exaggerated? his attack animations are in this fight.

I really like the whole sequence in the sanctum in general, even if it goes way longer than I remembered it going. I don't even mind how Malpercio looks, I always thought it was supposed to look kind of off considering it's basically a Frankenstein's monster god.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I meant to say something a ways back, but yeah, Sakuraba can actually be good when he's not on the Tales/Star Ocean autopilot.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I do really think that Kalas is forgiven way, waaaaay too easily.

Dude does the bare minimum of repentance, barely more than a "Hey sorry I tried to end the world for my own vanity, we cool?" and they forgive him like immediately.

But hey, that's part of the charm of Baten Kaitos to me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 40: The Labyrinth of Duhr

The labyrinth is a lot less intimidating than it seems, aside from the starting area, there's only a couple splits and they all dead end very quickly. There isn't even a boss!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Well, I took a look at the card lists to make sure I was remembering things correctly, but it seems I may have suffered a small lapse in memory. A small one. Tiny, really. I could have sworn that, past a certain point, whenever Xelha or Mizuti picked up a new tier of finisher, the other would pick up a finisher of the opposite element shortly afterwards, making sorting out their decks a simple matter of using their three strongest finishers, and dividing the elements up accordingly. As it turns out, either there's been some omissions in the card list, or I misremembered and things aren't as cut and dry as I'd previously recalled.

Splitting the elements between them is still absolutely worth doing though, because being able to ignore card elements and focusing entirely on the numbers is very strong. Get those increasingly ridiculous Straight mults nice and easy.

Also, the other fun thing you have to do when you get Kalas back? You need to go through and root out aaall of those burnt out Solar Sabers, because Kalas can't have good light-element swords without them having some kind of awkward drawback.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Artix posted:

Part 40: The Labyrinth of Duhr

The labyrinth is a lot less intimidating than it seems, aside from the starting area, there's only a couple splits and they all dead end very quickly. There isn't even a boss!

Not even drawing your video game map on graph paper smdh

Also I got unreasonably annoyed when you failed to use Mizuti's level 5 finisher on camera when you had the chance, then unreasonably relieved when you did it later in the video.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 41: Gemma Village

Following our escape from the harrowing labyrinth, we're getting some R&R in Mizuti's home base. There's not much going on here, but for once that might be a good thing?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Nice to know Mizuti truly is just a massive chuuni.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I love that joke with Mizuti's text bubble name, it's very powerful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love the way this village looks. Give me crazy and colorful designs any day of the week.

Also I think Kamroh is a normal-sized person sitting in a giant throne that makes him look like a weird large fat guy. When they were trying to cast the sealing spell on Malpercio, he had normal proportions at least.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mizuti is now the best character

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mizuti is now the best character

Mizuti has always been the best character.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 42: Capella, the Garden of Death

Capella could have been so much worse than it actually is, but let's not let it off the hook just because it's only two screens long. Those are a miserable two screens, after all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why do the skeletons have the Xbox 360 logo on their shields?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They were early adopters of the Xbone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

They were early adopters of the Xbone

:golfclap:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Despite my best efforts to abandon long-running projects we just haven't had a chance to record since our session fell through last week. Got everything up to the endgame sidequests recorded and I'll have a poll out for those in uh, two-ish videos time? Somewhere thereabouts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay so the next time we'll be able to record is probably some time next week, so in the meantime I'm gonna get started on recording the endgame. The next two videos will cover the remainder of the Children of the Earth's plot, and after that, we'll be in the big endgame sidequest hunt. Kalas's is mandatory, but the others can be taken at your leisure, up to and including skipping them entirely (do not do this, they have Class 6 items for everyone among other goodies). I'm opening the floor to you guys to decide the order we tackle these bad boys in, and you can vote here. I'll close this once we get the next video out and we'll do them in order of votes. I am not going to reveal whose sidequest is which, but they should be fairly obvious.

See you next week!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 43: Zosma, Tower of Stones

Sorry about the delay, folks! We're back, just in time to tackle the best dungeon in the game. I hope everyone is ready for the greatest block pushing puzzle ever made.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't notice if you said it in the video, but the final layout of floor 4 is a reference to QBert :eng101:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 44: Algorab Village

We've escaped from the Tower of Zosma, only to run face-first into Malpercio himself. It'll be fiiiiiine, what's the worst that could happen?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Aw; I understand the reasoning behind not using Mizuti in that fight, but there are a bunch of voice clips/animations and two photos that you can't get anywhere else in the game.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Like I said earlier, Kalas doesn't get to have good light-element swords that don't have some kind of annoying drawback.

And if one happens to be wondering, yes, maskless Mizuti has her own portrait cards, and if you're some kind of insane 100% completionist you need to spam cameras at her and hope you manage to proc the rare(which I vaguely recall is supposed to be worth all of the money, but that's neither here nor there).

As for Big Mal, the HP drain can be a pain in the rear end, but it's at a manageable level you can muddle through.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is Baten Kaitos Origins in the cards :v:, or is that too far off to consider right now? I'm loving this ongoing nonsense plot that's straight out of tabletop roleplaying. Just loads of "making crap up as we go" and not stopping to care how well it holds together.

Edit: Crap, did our JRPG team just lose the entirety of the Imperial Japanese Regalia? Sword/mirror/sphere combo sounds like it.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 5, 2021

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NGDBSS posted:

Is Baten Kaitos Origins in the cards :v:, or is that too far off to consider right now? I'm loving this ongoing nonsense plot that's straight out of tabletop roleplaying. Just loads of "making crap up as we go" and not stopping to care how well it holds together.

The remainder of the game is actually quite short. We have a plot dump next video, followed by the character-specific side quests, maybe another plot video? I'm not 100% on how that's gonna shake out, and then the final dungeon.

As for BKO, I have gone back and forth a couple times on it and the answer is "Never say never but probably no." To make a long story short, it falls into the same bucket as Darksiders 2 where I don't like a lot of the mechanical changes they made (even if they are objectively better in a game design way) and more importantly, I've never finished it because I just outright don't like it as much as the original. Music fuckin slaps though, The Valedictory Elegy might be my favorite Sakuraba song ever.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the reaction to the weird things and the great Namco cameo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
While we're talking about Sakuraba bangers, Supreme Ruler of the Nine Heavens from this fight might be my favorite boss music in all of games? It's at least in the conversation-
https://youtu.be/eK5cRPzYa2w

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I have to agree, while managing individual decks may look like a lot of work at first, it's pretty simple once you know how to build them right; whereas with Origins having everyone share the same deck just felt weird. Ended up just putting it down at one point and never going back.

I mean the point I put it down was Holoholo Bird, and my GC memory card vanished at some point afterwards, but still.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 45: Larikush's Confession

We're back from dealing with the Children of the Earth and turned loose in the sky, at least for now. The Doc has letter for us though, promising some truly shattering revelations. They are...not, to put it mildly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 46: The Celestial Alps

We're off to the mountains to find out what Georg has left for us in the world's dumbest inheritance bequest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Even as a teen I was wondering what the point of this section was, other than to give closure to the Imperial thread of the story. At least the new winglet gives Kalas a cool pre-boss animation?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 46.5: A Teaser of What is to Come

This is...not an update. Not really, anyway. This is where I WOULD have polled to see which sidequest we were doing but I uh, already did that. So this is the little bit of context that gets us from what Kalas was doing to the start of the next video, where Lyude is up to bat first.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 47: The Phantom Goldoba

Our first stop on the grand sidequest tour is Mira, or more specifically the Trail of Souls. Lyude won't be happy about it, but no one seems to care what he thinks regardless so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, Lyude, you're still here. Forgot about you.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
A 9->1 straight is called a Sunset Straight, and gives something like a 225% bonus. 1->9 is a Sunrise Straight and gives a 255% bonus. You can do very silly amounts of damage if you pull one off.

I also want to say that any straight that starts or ends with a 9 gives a larger bonus than a straight that doesn't, but my memories on that are a bit hazy.

As for setting them up, it still takes some luck for everything to line up, but you can make them far easier to get if you use little to no armor cards, as few support cards as you think you can get away with, and prune out weaker attack and finisher cards when the opportunity presents itself, as stronger cards have more numbers. Animation speed also plays a part; Lyude has significantly more time to plans things out than Savyna, for example. Building a deck so you don't have to worry about opposing elements cancelling each other out also helps, but I've already talked enough about Xelha and Mizuti in the past.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

Oh, Lyude, you're still here. Forgot about you.

The nice thing is, Lyude will never be important to the plot again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 48: Nihal Desert

One war criminal down, one to go as we head for Alfard for Savyna's sidequest. This area has an...interesting gimmick which probably goes on a bit long, but at least it's not very difficult if you know where everything is from the start. If not...well, I can imagine this would be a lot less fun.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
And thus Savyna can truly begin the process of self-forgiveness; a long, hard road fraught with much recrimination and introspection, but an ultimately necessary journey if she's ever going to fully move on.

And she'll have plenty of time to focus on it from the bench she's going to be sitting on for the entire rest of the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, Savyna probably would've been off my bench more often if she didn't attack lightning fast.

Literally every other character gave me some time to think mid-combo, with her it's just rush rush rush. And it's not like she gets anything to make up for that drawback.