Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I don't think anyone would have said the Apple Watch series 0 was a great product and was pretty obviously going to get better because it was so flawed. Same as buying the OG iPhone, awesome product with huge flaws that would be fixed. The initial M1 laptops aren't going to be quietly forgotten in the next update like the Apple Watch.

I think the only way the M1 would be dropped quickly is if there's a HUGE gap in the current instruction set that the M2 fills and Apple doesn't want to use software to get around, which seems highly unlikely since Apple has been building their own chips for a long time. Now the M2 computers might get a huge redesign that might make you jealous but I don't see Apple dropping macOS support in two years. Honestly, they really can't if they want to show the longevity of Apple silicon laptops is the same as the Intel ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I bought an M1. From my perspective MacOS is a pretty stable mature OS and Apple’s ARM chips have been developed for a while, it wasn’t a new product category like the iPhone or the Apple Watch so I can’t see it being dropped right away. I could be wrong but whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The problem isn't that it's gonna get dropped or have failures, the problem is that it's a tweaked ipad chip thrown in a macbook shell and the M1X is gonna come out in 3 months and blow it out of the water.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Or it will be like the iPad Air 2 and just keep trucking for five or more years and be just fine.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

No because the original Rosetta (PPC->x86) was gone in 10.7.

Quackles posted:

Not really. Your best bet is either VM an old macOS or - if it's a Mac OS 8-9 application - SheepShaver, which will happily emulate Mac OS 9. (So it's basically a specialized VM...)

Cheers. A pity but I suspected that'd be the answer! Unfortunately it's OS X-based. Time to dig my semi-busted PPC iMac out of the wardrobe and see if it's saveable haha.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

The problem isn't that it's gonna get dropped or have failures, the problem is that it's a tweaked ipad chip thrown in a macbook shell and the M1X is gonna come out in 3 months and blow it out of the water.

The “M1X” is also going in laptops nearly twice the price.

If you get mad that your $999 M1 MacBook Air has been usurped by the revised M1X $1700 MacBook Pro then I don’t know what to tell you.

(I personally don’t think the jump from M1 -> M2 is going to be as great as the current Intel -> M1 we are in the middle of)

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 7, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

~Coxy posted:

I'm fairly sure you can make a big multi-selection of photos and then drag them into a new folder in the Finder window and they will be copied in it.

They will, but does it maintain the originals, edits, metadata, etc?

eg, if I take a photo, crop it, colorize it, whatever, then do that export method.. can I reimport it and reverse all those edits back to the original?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the corona quid posted:

I bought an M1. From my perspective MacOS is a pretty stable mature OS and Apple’s ARM chips have been developed for a while, it wasn’t a new product category like the iPhone or the Apple Watch so I can’t see it being dropped right away. I could be wrong but whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hasn't it been an open secret for years that MacOS has been cross complied for ARM within Apple with every revision? Apple SoCs, MacOS on ARM and Apple Silicon are all mature products that have probably been worked on together for YEARS.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

FCKGW posted:

The “M1X” is also going in laptops nearly twice the price.

If you get mad that your $999 M1 MacBook Air has been usurped by the revised M1X $1700 MacBook Pro then I don’t know what to tell you.

(I personally don’t think the jump from M1 -> M2 is going to be as great as the current Intel -> M1 we are in the middle of)

They’re already trouncing the Intel models with entry level models, I’m not really going to be mad if the 16inch pro is that much better but yeah I can’t se them doing a massive step so soon, I think when we get round to the better iMacs and the Mac Pro that’s when there’s going to be another huge step.

I personally think them locking down the number of displays speaks volumes to me in terms of the direction they’re heading for the product range. If you want more USB ports, access to stuff like an eGPU and a lot of monitors then you’re going to be paying $$$$

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the corona quid posted:

I personally think them locking down the number of displays speaks volumes to me in terms of the direction they’re heading for the product range. If you want more USB ports, access to stuff like an eGPU and a lot of monitors then you’re going to be paying $$$$

I think it was more of "our current stuff only supports 2 monitors because it's an phone/tablet derivative, let's just get this out in the wild and we'll add more for the next revision"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still have a first-gen Apple Watch :saddowns: None of the features of the new ones seemed important and it works fine

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Being able to look at my watch and see what time it is seems like a pretty important feature of a watch but maybe I'm just different like that. :shobon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I turn my wrist to look at it and the display turns on

Do the new ones not require you to do that? Witchcraft

E: if I wake up in the middle of the night and I want to know what time it is I reach out and groggily hit the table it’s charging on with my fist, like man has done for centuries

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

PRADA SLUT posted:

They will, but does it maintain the originals, edits, metadata, etc?

eg, if I take a photo, crop it, colorize it, whatever, then do that export method.. can I reimport it and reverse all those edits back to the original?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Being able to look at my watch and see what time it is seems like a pretty important feature of a watch but maybe I'm just different like that. :shobon:

you're supposed to turn the watch on

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

gariig posted:

I don't think anyone would have said the Apple Watch series 0 was a great product and was pretty obviously going to get better because it was so flawed. Same as buying the OG iPhone, awesome product with huge flaws that would be fixed. The initial M1 laptops aren't going to be quietly forgotten in the next update like the Apple Watch.

I think the only way the M1 would be dropped quickly is if there's a HUGE gap in the current instruction set that the M2 fills and Apple doesn't want to use software to get around, which seems highly unlikely since Apple has been building their own chips for a long time. Now the M2 computers might get a huge redesign that might make you jealous but I don't see Apple dropping macOS support in two years. Honestly, they really can't if they want to show the longevity of Apple silicon laptops is the same as the Intel ones.

Yes the m1 is actually a mature product, the OG iphone and apple watch were very slow and the software was very limited to match it. The m1 is fastest low power cpu you can buy today and probably even a year from now (amd and intel might be slightly faster but will use > 2x power). I expect apple support to go even longer on AS, my 2012 mac mini got 8 years, I expect my m1 to get at least 10.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The MBA going fanless to me at least indicates that entry level products are going to maintain a pretty close relationship to the phone and tablet chips for the foreseeable future. It wouldn’t have made a whole lot of sense to go their own way on chips and then deviate significantly for their niche product like Macs and lose economies of scale with R&D.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Data Graham posted:

I turn my wrist to look at it and the display turns on

Do the new ones not require you to do that? Witchcraft

E: if I wake up in the middle of the night and I want to know what time it is I reach out and groggily hit the table it’s charging on with my fist, like man has done for centuries
Nope, the 5 introduced enough battery and efficiency stuff that the screen is now always on but dimmed when you aren’t looking at it.

It does still turn the screen off when it’s charging but the whole ‘wake up the screen by banging the table it sits on’ thing is still valid :haw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

franco posted:

Cheers. A pity but I suspected that'd be the answer! Unfortunately it's OS X-based. Time to dig my semi-busted PPC iMac out of the wardrobe and see if it's saveable haha.
Any chance you could decompile it to source and remake as intel native?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo screen time is like hella broke.

This is on an M1 MBP.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yo screen time is like hella broke.

This is on an M1 MBP.

You’re just browsing SA and tweeting too much, step away for a bit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

You’re just browsing SA and tweeting too much, step away for a bit

AFAIK I’m not even logged into Twitter in this Mac.

What does the ⚠️ mean? It’s on a few of the apps. I assume it means not M1 native? I can’t find anything that says what it means.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Isn't there already a mac hardware thread?

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for step by step guides to customising your ZSH profile? I want to customise the prompt on terminal but all of the old guides talk about Bash profiles which I don't think works with the current defaults.

It's a bit confusing because a lot of stuff out there seems to tell you to install iTerm and Oh My ZSH but that seems a bit overkill as ZSH is now the default shell on Mac OSX and I do I really need a whole theme manager to do what Bash used to do in terminal?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sri.Theo posted:

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for step by step guides to customising your ZSH profile? I want to customise the prompt on terminal but all of the old guides talk about Bash profiles which I don't think works with the current defaults.

https://scriptingosx.com/2019/07/moving-to-zsh-06-customizing-the-zsh-prompt/

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks, got it looking just how I wanted (although turns out there are a lot of places you can save settings). There's a couple of other things I'd love to get set up on Mac OS if anyone knows some good resources.

1) Set it up so the downloads folder automatically moves completed downloads to another folder (in my OneDrive). I don't want to just change settings in individual apps because it's kind of a pain and somethings just don't work well with on on-demand folders

2) How to set up defaults for youtube-dl. I want to set up an alias so I don't have to type out youtube-dl each time and to have the videos go to a specific folder. There's a bunch of stuff I want to pull off twitter these days.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Sri.Theo posted:

Isn't there already a mac hardware thread?

It's a bit confusing because a lot of stuff out there seems to tell you to install iTerm and Oh My ZSH but that seems a bit overkill as ZSH is now the default shell on Mac OSX and I do I really need a whole theme manager to do what Bash used to do in terminal?

Oh My Zsh is pretty awesome though, and you can ignore/overule the theming.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I'm using this method to Time Machine backup a few Macs on my home network to the same external drive attached to my Mac Mini. It's nice because I can limit them all to a few hundred GB so they won't take over the entire disk.

Is there any way to back up the Mini itself to that same external drive? What method should I use?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've been working from home and sharing my PowerPoints in presentation view over Teams. I have my 2013 rMBP on Mojave (10.14.6) and an external monitor. I disabled showing the notes because I don't care about that and would much rather be able to see something useful. Doing this leads to my Mac mirroring the display instead of extending it.

Is this the case for everyone? Is there someway I can fix this because it's absolutely ridiculous.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I think this is gonna make me go crazy. Screen time is obviously messed up and reporting use even if the app is just open and the Mac is sleeping but why is it showing Twitter as the most used app when it’s not even installed??

I 100% never installed it or logged into Twitter on this machine. The use stats are from this machine only so it’s not getting the number from my phone or something.

I just checked the activity monitor and it doesn’t show Twitter on the list.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 8, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any really cool notable apps to get for the m1 that weren't previously available for Macs?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

any really cool notable apps to get for the m1 that weren't previously available for Macs?

The awful app lol

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

The awful app lol

lol that rocks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Overcast if you like podcasts, MyNoise if you want more erudite commentary than what can be delivered in a podcast

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A few of my puzzle iOS games work on the M1 which is pretty cool.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo I didn't even think about games, wonder if Dream Quest works. And good call on the podcast thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about games, wonder if Dream Quest works. And good call on the podcast thing

Yeah it says it does work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it says it does work.

blessed, any other cool games

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I think this is gonna make me go crazy. Screen time is obviously messed up and reporting use even if the app is just open and the Mac is sleeping but why is it showing Twitter as the most used app when it’s not even installed??

I 100% never installed it or logged into Twitter on this machine. The use stats are from this machine only so it’s not getting the number from my phone or something.

I just checked the activity monitor and it doesn’t show Twitter on the list.

My guess would have been it's counting your phone or ipad version of the app, but I just re-read your post and saw the part about it being from your machine only. Do you know that for sure? You're not signed into any iCloud account at all?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I bought monument valley aeons ago and never got around to playing it on the phone, it was pretty neat to go through it on the M1 Mac

Unfortunately Rovio delisted all their games from the Mac App Store, so I can't play Bad Piggies on Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

My guess would have been it's counting your phone or ipad version of the app, but I just re-read your post and saw the part about it being from your machine only. Do you know that for sure? You're not signed into any iCloud account at all?

I’m signed into my normal iCloud account and I’ve specifically told screen time to only count this machine. I’m 100% not signed into Twitter or have it on this machine.

Like it’s on my phone but this is my use for the week

It’s also not on my iPad.

The only reason it’s bugging me is because if there is an app running 24/7 like that I’d like to know what it is.