Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Post edited. My thought process was that of ironlung's, but yall are right about the etiquette.

And I've been in these circles for like two decades too, so I shouldve known better anyway.

That said, I sure hope it starts snowing here in appreciable quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The system that was hanging out over the green mountains moved on and the inversion we had for the last four days is finally over. Sure was pretty while it lasted.

Pics are left and right of the ridge line going north from Mt.Ellen with Camel's hump peeking out of the clouds in the distance.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

For some reason I’m less mad at tourists today. Weird.

Ordered some Armada trace 88s for my wife this week, should be able to get a full touring set up together for her next week. In other skiing wife news, when we thought it was going to be an actual 12” powder day yesterday I suggested maybe she take her snowboard so she could really enjoy it and she rejected the idea and took the skis. So I think it’s really happening for real this year.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Spime Wrangler posted:

it's totally unlikely but also common courtesy when someone gets you a hookup, just like it's common courtesy to let people who are new to prodeals know the etiquette when pushing the boundaries a bit. that's all I was going for.

The simple fact that you have access to a pro deal or hookup or whatever at brand x is not supposed to be some big secret but yeah, I guess running around posting about it on the internet is not the greatest idea. If you say "I have a hookup with brand x and I got item y for z dollars" that might raise some eyebrows, but the reality is that pro deals are pretty common, people brag about getting them all the time, and nobody really cares.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 7, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Yeah saying "I have a prodeal" is one thing at totally fine, but saying "my sister's boyfriend's uncle's buddy is letting me use his prodeal" is another and a bit like blowing up somebody's spot. Keeping how you got it to yourself is still the kosher thing to do. Unless it's actually yours of course.

ANYWAYS was pissing rain on the local Vancouver mountains on Monday and tuesday. I'm just fed up with global warming, I tell you hwat.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 7, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

stratdax posted:

Yeah saying "I have a prodeal" is one thing at totally fine, but saying "my sister's boyfriend's uncle's buddy is letting me use his prodeal" is another and a bit like blowing up somebody's spot. Keeping how you got it to yourself is still the kosher thing to do. Unless it's actually yours of course.

ANYWAYS was pissing rain on the local Vancouver mountains on Monday and tuesday. I'm just fed up with global warming, I tell you hwat.

Did you just miss today? I was up and it was awesome, like a spring day with solid powder areas.

But every other day looks terrible. It was melting by late afternoon, and it'll freeze solid overnight

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ante posted:

Did you just miss today? I was up and it was awesome, like a spring day with solid powder areas.

But every other day looks terrible. It was melting by late afternoon, and it'll freeze solid overnight

I bailed out today after seeing it rain last night...and caught the guy clearing the snowstake on the Cypress webcam and it was concrete.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

actual 12” powder day yesterday I suggested maybe she take her snowboard so she could really enjoy it and she rejected the idea and took the skis. So I think it’s really happening for real this year.

What a traitor! haha. That is good that she is committing though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey dudes - I went boarding on the 28th, first time this season. I haven't been an avid snowboarder in many many years; for the last 3 years or so I generally only go 1-3x per season.

Anywho, my calf and knee for my rear leg that I use to push/skate around with from lift to lift is still kinda sore/stiff. Like the very top of my calf right up to the back of my knee area. First few days after boarding any time I'd get up after sitting for a short period I'd have to hobble around with a limp because it was hard to bend the knee.

I get that I haven't really used those muscles since I went boarding for the '19-'20 winter season, but WTF? Is this common? I'm not even that old, only 30. Are there some exercises or stretches I should try? I was thinking of going again this weekend, kinda hoping just using the muscles more will help instead of make it worse :shrug:

At this point I don't really feel "mobily impaired" and I can walk/rock climb just fine, but if I sit for an extended period of time with my leg stretched out/sit cross legged it's a little stiff to move at first.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

What a traitor! haha. That is good that she is committing though.

Haha, yeah. It's for fairly specific reasons to her situation, to be fair. A big part of it was realizing how much of a pain in the rear end it would be for her to snowboard with the kids, now that they're getting on skis this winter for real.

The other part is that pretty much everyone that we know up here or even semi-regularly get out there with is on skis (in large part because a lot of them are friends of mine from racing in college), and there are many situations and areas at Squaw and Alpine where traversing is valuable.

For example, a huge amount of terrain to climber's right of summit chair at Alpine:

And then at Squaw, it's pretty common for Headwall to be on wind hold, but Siberia to be open. On a lot of days, patrol will open the "reverse traverse", where you can take Siberia and then traverse climber's left under the palisades with a small skate/hike across and up to the top of Headwall to access all of the terrain to climber's left of it, which is really great stuff and tends to hold snow really well during and after windy storm days

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oh yeah man. I am just giving her a hard time. I enjoyed boarding at squaw but skiing was a bit easier getting around.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

Honestly I don't know where the line sits. The stay at home order requires that short term rentals / hotels are only open for essential workers, and forbids non-essential travel. I don't know if there are more specific guidelines as to what constitutes travel, and I'm certainly not qualified to draw a line.

However, without drawing that line I think it can reasonably be said that going from Tahoe City or Truckee to Squaw is not "travel", and that going from SF to Squaw is. Is it travel to come from Auburn or Grass Valley over the pass? I don't know. There are also other weirdnesses, like, the state border is pretty concrete and people coming in from out of state are supposed to quarantine, etc. But Reno is close, and driving from Reno to Squaw is very arguably not "travel" (I know there are many folks working at ski areas up here that commute from Reno, and in the beforetimes I would frequently go down to Reno for grocery shopping and other errands). Stateline and South Lake Tahoe are a more absurd example.

One thing that is clear though is that short term rentals are not supposed to be happening, but absolutely are.

I don't want it to seem like I'm mainly upset about this because of lift lines at resorts; if they shut things down entirely and I didn't get to ski at all, I would accept that and understand. But I also have more limited outdoor recreation options living here than folks coming in from out of town do: everything is covered and snow and ice here.

And now apparently the state is saying 120 miles is the limit to how far people should be traveling. Seems further than I’d expect, but at least it is something. So technically Sacramento is barely within range for Tahoe resorts, and Mammoth should totally empty out!! Right? ...Right??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mammoth is not very busy right now, presumably cause there’s barely any snow. I’ve been up here at my moms condo all week but jokes on me cause I’ve had too much work to do anyway so I’ve only skied 90 minutes this week. (We brought all our food for the week so we don’t need to go to the grocery store or any other public indoor space in town)

There are definitely other out of town people here in non-rental units but it is nothing like even an average mid season weekend in a normal year. I’ve not been close enough to anyone to overhear conversations about “back at the hotel” like French did at Squaw.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Over the last 4 weeks, the majority of people at snowbird have been from california.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Alright, I just got a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 after a proper fitting. $599 for the boot, $723 out the door, including better ski socks and a moldable (and now molded) set of inserts to compensate for the fact that one of my feet is sort of hosed and has a bony protrusion at the ankle after a sprain in 2009.

I am stoked to try them out, probably Monday (I have a weekday pass only this year). I left my beat up Elan 888's there to get the bindings adjusted, and, for the first time in my life I checked "Type III". I am not an amazing high speed skiier, but I've been doing this poo poo for 33 years and generally when I get off the lift my first thought is "how hosed up can I get in the woods on some untouched powder?". Even though I tend to take glades pretty slowly, with "Type II" binding settings, twice last year I had a ski pop off after coming down off of a fairly small ( < 2') drop, so, that makes me think it's time to tighten up my bindings, and then be a bit careful about not wrecking my knees.

Walking around the shop in the boots, especially after the molded heel supports and internal molding had been heat fitted, kind of blew my mind just because it's the first time in my life I've walked around in ski boots and not been in some amount of pain and discomfort as a result of a not that great fit.

Followup thought / question: I am going back tomorrow, to pick up my stuff, and also get our 4 year old fitted for rentals. My plan with her is just to walk around flat parts of our property and then MAYBE try to learn to snowplow down a gentle grade that's only ~10-15' long. The place I ski has a ski clinic for kids 4-6, "no experience required", and so what I want to do this year is just get her comfortable enough with the whole idea, that in a year, putting her on skis and then giving her to a stranger and saying "okay honey, go learn how to not die!" will be less scary for both of us.

Does anyone have any tips on just generally getting a small kid used to wearing real boots and skis? Last year we had her try strap-on things that went over her boots once, and she sort of got the idea, but they had way too much movement in them to be too useful.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Steve French posted:

And now apparently the state is saying 120 miles is the limit to how far people should be traveling. Seems further than I’d expect, but at least it is something. So technically Sacramento is barely within range for Tahoe resorts, and Mammoth should totally empty out!! Right? ...Right??

Expecting people to abide by stay at home orders with zero enforcement is idiotic. They need to enforce the order if they it to be obeyed or close the reason people are traveling.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Followup thought / question: I am going back tomorrow, to pick up my stuff, and also get our 4 year old fitted for rentals. My plan with her is just to walk around flat parts of our property and then MAYBE try to learn to snowplow down a gentle grade that's only ~10-15' long. The place I ski has a ski clinic for kids 4-6, "no experience required", and so what I want to do this year is just get her comfortable enough with the whole idea, that in a year, putting her on skis and then giving her to a stranger and saying "okay honey, go learn how to not die!" will be less scary for both of us.

Does anyone have any tips on just generally getting a small kid used to wearing real boots and skis? Last year we had her try strap-on things that went over her boots once, and she sort of got the idea, but they had way too much movement in them to be too useful.
Your plan sounds fine but isn't 100% required. I just took my kids at around 4 years old and threw them into regular half day group lessons/camp (eventually full day) for kids since I'm not a skier. The first few times I did stick around the periphery of the kids learning area just to watch a bit. The instructors at those are super used to dealing with tiny kids and at the camps we went to were great.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

asur posted:

Expecting people to abide by stay at home orders with zero enforcement is idiotic. They need to enforce the order if they it to be obeyed or close the reason people are traveling.

Yeah to be honest I expect this to do nothing to reduce travel over 120 miles, and to actually increase travel under 120 miles because people will now feel they’ve been given permission to do so

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s an odd number and the only distance that made sense to me is that it’s 119 miles from SF to Monterey

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A snowboarder fell off a high traverse at Whistler yesterday and died after a 20m fall off a cliff.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Spwrozek, I’m in the process of putting these Karakoram bindings on my board and, I gotta say, I can see this being a problem when it’s packed with ice. Do you just silicone the poo poo outta yours?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

A snowboarder fell off a high traverse at Whistler yesterday and died after a 20m fall off a cliff.

In bounds? I’m trying to remember where there’s a traverse that sketchy.

Content: our shovels and probes and beacons arrived and we picked up our rental skis for tomorrow! Going to hit a small fire break just as a shakedown run to see if I can stand touring in my boots and if my wife likes going down hill enough to justify skinning up. I’m not gonna sleep tonight, I’m so excited!

The skis are G3s with the magnets and they’re pretty cool. With the bindings in walk mode and the brakes tucked away you can hold the skis horizontally by just one ski and the magnets will keep them together. Very neato, I hope they license the patent when they get it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Like, magnets in the base?

I wonder how many old rusted nails / iron fillings / iPhones are going to start coming to the surface of ski runs if everyone has those

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's still G3 glue and not Pomoca. Get that adhesive game on point and I'll get on board, even if I must wonder about magnets and how they work

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

G3 glue will ruin a perfectly good afternoon

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Eejit posted:

It's still G3 glue and not Pomoca. Get that adhesive game on point and I'll get on board, even if I must wonder about magnets and how they work
There's an ICP meme that I need to somehow work in here.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I just saw in a news article this description of the area:

quote:

A Whistler snowboarder has died after falling approximately 20 metres off a cliff near the Peak chair.

The man, in his 20s, fell off the traverse to West Bowl at approximately 10:20 a.m. on Jan.7.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Content: our shovels and probes and beacons arrived and we picked up our rental skis for tomorrow! Going to hit a small fire break just as a shakedown run to see if I can stand touring in my boots and if my wife likes going down hill enough to justify skinning up. I’m not gonna sleep tonight, I’m so excited!

The skis are G3s with the magnets and they’re pretty cool. With the bindings in walk mode and the brakes tucked away you can hold the skis horizontally by just one ski and the magnets will keep them together. Very neato, I hope they license the patent when they get it.

Yeah, the high traverse into West Cirque from what I've heard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Spwrozek, I’m in the process of putting these Karakoram bindings on my board and, I gotta say, I can see this being a problem when it’s packed with ice. Do you just silicone the poo poo outta yours?

I have never really had a problem and the new system is supposed to be better than the old. When the snow is sticking though I have found the puck style (spark/voile) seem to build up along the pucks as well. I think a spray silicon would work but I think it would wear off quickly with use. I just keep this scrapper in my pocket at all times. It is super handy.

https://www.rei.com/product/814694/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Official day 1 of on snow training for the ski team was a huge success (kids have already been free skiing or attended Christmas camp elsewhere). Have about 112 kids on the team this year despite COVID and we ran screening and got them up and back safely. Super happy with the day. But I had no time to ride since I had to do admin stuff. Celebrated with a drink at the end of the training day.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I think I probably just need to get better at it but thanks for the rec on the brush. The bindings are definitely a lot more responsive than my beat up old Salomons, and I’m putting my first day on these new boots so it’s an adjustment.

Ivanka and Jared are in town this weekend and tomorrow sounds like a nice sunny day for some uh, celebrity spotting.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 9, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HookShot posted:

A 6 story fall is terrifying to think about

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I think I probably just need to get better at it but thanks for the rec on the brush. The bindings are definitely a lot more responsive than my beat up old Salomons, and I’m putting my first day on these new boots so it’s an adjustment.

Ivanka and Jared are in town this weekend and tomorrow sounds like a nice sunny day for some uh, celebrity spotting.

Spray them with snow for me if you see them

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Eejit posted:

Are G3 skins that bad? Or just the glue they use? Didn’t have any trouble with them today other than it was extremely sticky if I didn’t use the skin saver.

Overall, our first tour was a success! My boots are comfy enough when loosened off for touring and I skied a 177 without much trouble. Definitely need to work on my powder skiing though.

Going to rent a split board next time we go out so I can compare and see what works best.

It’s me, the idiot who fell for no good reason and is struggling to get up.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’ve used G3, BD, and Voile skins and G3 is the only one that left glue on my board. Like, a lot of glue. And I took good care of them, use the skin savers, etc.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Are G3 skins that bad?

garbage garbage garbage

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Edit: nvm

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I keep seeing reports of ridiculously long (hours) lift lines at Northstar and Heavenly. Squaw today was... fine? 5ish minutes?

How is it that Vail/Epic has a reservation system and IKON doesn’t, and yet Vail resorts are the ones with absurd overcrowding?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Don't worry about your skins my guy, lots of people have G3 skins and are very happy with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

I keep seeing reports of ridiculously long (hours) lift lines at Northstar and Heavenly. Squaw today was... fine? 5ish minutes?

How is it that Vail/Epic has a reservation system and IKON doesn’t, and yet Vail resorts are the ones with absurd overcrowding?

I’m pretty sure the “capacity” here is just the maximum number of people they’d normally let up.