Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was looking to pick up a pack of Caribbean Food Delights Spicy Beef Patties to replenish my stock when I hit Costco this past weekend, and was crestfallen that they were nowhere to be found. Can anyone let me know if they're still available locally?

Yeah, I mean, I could buy packs of two at the store, but why buy two when you can buy ten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ShowTime posted:

Costco has been getting a lot of keto diet stuff, if that's your thing. I imagine it's been in other, more popular locations for maybe a year now, but even my small town Costco is getting stuff i've only seen screenshots of until now. I just found these egg sandwiches that are just egg, turkey sausage and cheese. Even before the diet turned into a fad, it was always the best place to go if you were on that diet and now that brands are hoping on the fad to make money, you can find a lot of things you used to have to make yourself. They have this pancake and waffle mix that is perfect for making lots of different baked goods. Grain free granola, no sugar added yogurt, dried cheese, etc.

The problem is that half of this stuff (not just at Costco) is not really Keto friendly. They are just using it as a sales keyword. Read labels. If your daily carb goal is 20-30g your not going to eat something that has 15g per serving for a snack.

I saw that pancake mix and i can't remember the carb count but a serving was 2 pancakes. (of course they don't say what SIZE pancake) and then your going to want to add syrup or something to it, who eats plain pancakes...

They had a brownie mix too. Serving size was 1/9th of the pan and was 15g of carbs if I remember right.

TLDR: Most of their KETO stuff is not really keto friendly.

However the white box KETO ice cream bars are 2g NET carbs per bar and are awesome!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the packaged food industry desperately fought atkins way back when and itll have to fight keto now. higher the carb content the higher the profit margin, in basically a linear way

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Midniter posted:

I was looking to pick up a pack of Caribbean Food Delights Spicy Beef Patties to replenish my stock when I hit Costco this past weekend, and was crestfallen that they were nowhere to be found. Can anyone let me know if they're still available locally?

Yeah, I mean, I could buy packs of two at the store, but why buy two when you can buy ten?

They've been coming in and out of stock at our local one (DC Metro area) for the past couple months now. One trip they won't have them, then in another week or two they're back. Just seems to be luck of the draw.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
We just bought two of the steel storage garage shelves. $50 after discount each. Excellent storage solution if you need a 5 tier shelf. You can even build it in a way to make for a workbench.

They had plenty, and I wouldn't be surprised if people aren't buying them as fast cause of how heavy they are to put on a cart.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Midniter posted:

i bought some at my local store a few weeks back so probably just out of stock. im kinda tired of them at the moment but they are pretty good especially if i take time to use the oven

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Geodude posted:

We just bought two of the steel storage garage shelves. $50 after discount each. Excellent storage solution if you need a 5 tier shelf. You can even build it in a way to make for a workbench.

They had plenty, and I wouldn't be surprised if people aren't buying them as fast cause of how heavy they are to put on a cart.

Dang these are on sale? I perpetually need them as I turn my basement into a Costco.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

StormDrain posted:

Dang these are on sale? I perpetually need them as I turn my basement into a Costco.

They're already sold out in our state. I'm sure the depot will get more eventually but yeah, $10 off is nice. I got two last year when they were even cheaper.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
They’re $58 on sale from $68 but they’re nice shelves. My area was sold out but got another batch in today and I ran and got three of them.

The one thing I don’t like is the vertical beams sorta have two chunks and they just have a plastic bit that goes into the folded metal and prevents it from walking off horizontally. It is fine when stationary and when there’s some weight on it but they are a pain in the rear end to set up or move around.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Ordered Michelin tires on Christmas day, they arrived last week, made an appointment to have them put on today. No issues with timing, tire center manager was great, took about an hour tops. Put me down for a good experience getting tires at the 'co.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Does that Atkins diet work? I dont trust the packaged food industry to keep me safe.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BONGHITZ posted:

Does that Atkins diet work? I dont trust the packaged food industry to keep me safe.

You will never, ever get an unbiased take on this.

The one thing that is ALWAYS true though:

EAT. LESS.

How you consume less calories is up to you, but that is what needs to happen. It's also a lifestyle change, hence why diets never actually work. You have to change how you eat, permanently, in order to see actual change.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

BONGHITZ posted:

Atkins/Keto works well but you should avoid eating their pre-packaged foods, especially their snacks. I dropped 55 pounds in 6 months about 10 years ago by going strict 20 g carbs/day and walking 7 miles a day. It will kill your appetite which is good. You need to watch your cholesterol on this diet as well (have a protein powder shake instead of bacon and eggs every morning, for example, and eat lots of fiber/veg). I gained most of the weight back about 7 years later.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BONGHITZ posted:

KakerMix posted:

You will never, ever get an unbiased take on this.

The one thing that is ALWAYS true though:

EAT. LESS.

How you consume less calories is up to you, but that is what needs to happen. It's also a lifestyle change, hence why diets never actually work. You have to change how you eat, permanently, in order to see actual change.

This. Burn more calories than you eat.

AAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL fad diets are a form of calorie restriction. There is no magic way to trick your body into burning certain types of calories.

They work for sure. But guess what. If you want to eat Keto for the rest of your life then go ahead and do it. Otherwise once you turn to your regular eating it was all worthless.

Learn to eat healthier and to not over eat and you'll live a balanced life. If you do those fads and want to keep the weight off you're going to have to learn how to eat better anyway (which almost no one does so they put the weight back on).

This pisses me off to no end.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's absolutely calories in/out and 99% of the problems are that when they have to guess people wildly underestimate how much they're actually eating. The first bullet point in YLLS weight loss threads was "get a food scale" because that's the only way to be sure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BONGHITZ posted:

I don't know about Atkins, it seemed like eating gobs of red meat afaik, but I can say Keto actually worked for me very well. Extremely well It's taken me 2+ years off Keto and eating total garbage again to slowly edge back some of the weight I lost on it and I need to get back on but Keto is sort of hard because there's a pandemic going on and doesn't lend itself well to rare-grocery shopping because it needs a more constant supply of fresh veggies, cheese, eggs, chicken, etc. Once pandemic is over and it's easier just to make a quick grocer run I'll prob get back on it.

Keto is also cool because it fucks with your taste so like cauliflower starts to taste sweet like candy after awhile. And your appetite definitely changes some for the better. It primarily mostly works because you end up watching a bit more what you eat than shoving whatever garbage into your gaping gullet, and being more forceful with mental restrictions, but still the low-carb portion of it also is useful even if tertiary but it's a good mental hard-limit

And yeah don't do pre-packaged food for keto for the most part.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 5, 2021

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Apparently NYC Costcos don’t have liquor :smith:

But that $1.50 hot dog was everything it was cracked up to be, though :unsmith:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Paul MaudDib posted:

They’re $58 on sale from $68 but they’re nice shelves. My area was sold out but got another batch in today and I ran and got three of them.

The one thing I don’t like is the vertical beams sorta have two chunks and they just have a plastic bit that goes into the folded metal and prevents it from walking off horizontally. It is fine when stationary and when there’s some weight on it but they are a pain in the rear end to set up or move around.

Yeah I have two in the garage and two in the basement, I think I can put two more to use though. My wife has a whole classroom of stuff from when she was a teacher that needed to be stored safely off the ground. And I've got a stack of car stuff I need to manage until it gets put on the cars.

I'm not a hoarder, it's just stuff I can't bear to part with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stimulus spent

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Haven't tried them but

The sauce on the Hakka noods was pretty thin and I was surprised that I didn't need to add anything, but this here stuff looks like angel hair and I could see it just sticking together and being unpleasant.

I guess. I'm just really happy with the Hakka.

Besides all that, thanks for the tire tips! I wish I knew more about my car in general but you guys rule.

Okay, so these loving guys are great but they take a special effort.

You have to boil them then strain them of all the water, toss it up and down in the strainer, then add diced up green onion and if you want to go the extra mile some pan fried spinach. Don't use the entire sauce packet, fill your bowl with noodles then drizzle sauce to taste.
Chinese hot pepper sauce is really good with it as well as pulled chicken breast.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of diet... Tried the frozen italian meatballs for dinner (in the air fryer at 400 for 7 minutes). Came out great and tasty.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FogHelmut posted:

Stimulus spent

:yeah:
my first stimulus was spent on this guy

Extremely good buy. I think the instructions said to expect 30 hours of assembly time and it took every minute of that.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
Ngl, want to hang out and smoek w33d in that

Golden Corral Massacre
Sep 8, 2008

Martman posted:

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to noods, but what's so bad about the tainan noodles? I found them simple and pleasant; they're not blowing my mind but they also don't feel as aggressively oversalted as a lot of brands and leave me feeling just fine after.

I agree. The noodles are finer and thinner than Maruchan-style ramen. It’s a nice mouthfeel, kind of like angel hair pasta vs spaghetti. I’m wondering if people prepare the Tainan noodles like they would with regular ramen, adding the sauce/seasoning packet to the noodles and all of the water that they’ve been cooked in. You’re supposed to drain these almost all the way, and then add the sauce packet. They’d be really, really bland if you didn’t drain first.

DNK posted:

No one mentioned this — probably because they’re still on their first purchase of it — but buy the 2-pack of Saran / plastic wrap. The wrap itself is maybe only slightly superior to other brands, but the dispenser / housing for the wrap is completely game changing.

Seriously, does Costco have a patent on the box design? It’s ridiculous how ownage that is compared to any other plastic wrap.

edit: it comes in a 2-pack so you can give one to a friend to convert them.

The dispenser is great, but the wrap itself is the best I’ve ever used at home. Try, for example, wrapping a glass weed pipe in it. It sticks and forms perfectly to the glass. Now try that with some Saran or Great Value wrap. It’s going to gap and sag. You will never get the same kind of stink-resistant seal that you will with Costco wrap.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Trastion posted:

The problem is that half of this stuff (not just at Costco) is not really Keto friendly. They are just using it as a sales keyword. Read labels. If your daily carb goal is 20-30g your not going to eat something that has 15g per serving for a snack.

I saw that pancake mix and i can't remember the carb count but a serving was 2 pancakes. (of course they don't say what SIZE pancake) and then your going to want to add syrup or something to it, who eats plain pancakes...

They had a brownie mix too. Serving size was 1/9th of the pan and was 15g of carbs if I remember right.

TLDR: Most of their KETO stuff is not really keto friendly.

However the white box KETO ice cream bars are 2g NET carbs per bar and are awesome!

I'm very well versed in it. I've been eating this way for a couple years now and research everything. I read everything about the diet, the research that goes into and sometimes test things myself, monitoring my own glucose levels while i'm testing something. I know what is good, what isn't and what still needs to be researched. I also completely agree with you that most things labeled keto are not keto. It's up to you to read the ingredients and do the research. Turns out, some things labeled that way actually are, or can be if you eat them the right way.

That pancake mix is fine. I didn't see the brownie mix. It's made with almond flour and coconut flour. I don't use it to make pancakes, I used it to make a sort of muffin top or a make almost like a cornbread I put sugar free jelly on (it exists and uses erythritol, which is basically the best sugar alcohol you can find). You can also find a sugar-free syrup that is also fine, but i'm not a fan of syrups.

As with all things, it's about moderation. Candy is technically "keto" if you only eat a piece of it. Using your brownie example, you'd be perfectly fine eating a serving of it and having 15g of carbs as long as you only ate bacon and eggs for the rest of the day. The problem is, some people can't stop at 1 serving of a brownie, or don't measure it out and eat 2 or even 3 servings. No to low sugar and carb diets are beneficial for a lot of reasons and it's better to just say you limit your carb intake then to say you are keto, usually. Less of stigma. It also isn't the diet for everyone and I don't recommend it to anyone, really. I let them do the research themselves and if they have questions, I answer them.

I can answer questions about specific products if anyone has questions. Just link me to the item or post the ingredients.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have been on a not quite Keto diet prescribed by my doctor at a weight loss clinic. Low carb (50g ish carbs) and high protein (120g protein) along with some medication. While I can see that a good portion of the snack food labeled Keto probably isn’t, Costco does have some good low carb stuff. The Kirkland protein bars are really good, at least the brownie and cookie are. The peanut butter variety is a little off.

I will also chime in that the pancake mix is pretty good. The bag says two 4 inch pancakes is one serving. A little on the small side, but not super tiny. I found that putting some cream cheese on them works out really good to counter the slight grittiness of the almond flour. Before this diet, I would put peanutbutter on pancakes occasionally, but that doesn’t work great here, just a little too much grit.

I only found it in one Costco, but the Oak Brook Costco had Bake Believe sugar free chocolate chips which are really good for snacking. One Tablespoon is one net carb (9g carb, 5g fiber, 3g ethryol). While that’s not a lot of chips, it tastes just like dark chocolate and is a nice snack at the end of the day. A large bag was super cheap at like 32oz for $9.

I have had the brownies before. If I recall, it is 1/9 of an 8x8 pan, so it is a pretty big brownie. But to make the carb count, it was a lot of fiber and sugar alcohol. It was okay tasting, but I think it gave me some digestive issues.

Some breakfast stuff works out nice. The occasionally have eggwich which has eggs for a bun around sausage. Riced cauliflower makes a passable rice substitute, and Costco sells large frozen sacks of 1lb microwaveable pouches.

And then there is the usual stuff like meat, eggs, bacon. It’s been helpful to have a Costco membership on this diet.

/edit: found a pack of brownie mix, 3 net carbs a brownie (27g, 15g fiber, 9g sugar alcohol). So pretty low for a 2.5x2.5inch brownie.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 7, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I had a stressful day of sitting at home and watching the news, so I think I might treat myself to a little drive to church to pick up some food.
It will not be my first chicken bake of the year. :ssh:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Orvin posted:

I have been on a not quite Keto diet prescribed by my doctor at a weight loss clinic. Low carb (50g ish carbs) and high protein (120g protein) along with some medication. While I can see that a good portion of the snack food labeled Keto probably isn’t, Costco does have some good low carb stuff. The Kirkland protein bars are really good, at least the brownie and cookie are. The peanut butter variety is a little off.

And the protein bars one of those things i'd stay away from unless you practice moderation. Tapioca starch does impact blood glucose levels as well as whey protein. You are fine on your macros, but you could be eating more than you think.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I love the keto freaks because I'm t1 diabetic and there's SO MUCH sugar free and low carb food now. I do not understand choosing to be miserable about desserts, but I'll happily benefit from the insanity.

In ham related news I ate approximately four pounds of pig tonight on accident by standing next to a jamon with a knife in one hand. Just casually tossing ham in my face without thinking was a terrible idea and I don't regret it one bit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Alarbus posted:

Ordered Michelin tires on Christmas day, they arrived last week, made an appointment to have them put on today. No issues with timing, tire center manager was great, took about an hour tops. Put me down for a good experience getting tires at the 'co.

Free rotation and balancing to boot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I stopped getting tires at Costco because any time I needed anything done it was a 2 hour ordeal every time.

I envy you people who live with Costco’s that aren’t always swamped.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the morimoto ramen kicks, i just had the tokyo chicken with some of the pre-picked rotisserie chicken from the cost company and the furikake seasoning from trader's joe.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fizzymercy posted:

I do not understand choosing to be miserable about desserts, but I'll happily benefit from the insanity.
eh you don't feel miserable skipping out on dessert. it's also about realizing you probably don't have willpower to not just go eh "eh its a slice of cake, what can be the harm *gobbles half the cake and 5-lbs later*. oh hey those trader joes dark chocolate peanut butter blueberry bites sound good right now, let me grab a box it'll be fine *gobble*.. low carb diets are good about giving you just that extra oomph to skip that stuff and help self-enforce. keto really did work very well for me and i loved being on it (after 2-3 weeks anyways, first 2-3 weeks were miserable). i generally did feel a lot better too and lost a good amount of weight that i've only recently put back on because of quarantine/covid letting me eat like garbage again and it's super hard to do constant fresh-shopping. definitely want to start up again though soon.

FCKGW posted:

I envy you people who live with Costco’s that aren’t always swamped.
:same:

benefits of lucking in buttfuck branson missouri i guess

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Are tablets covered with the extended warranty stuff? I bought a couple Galaxy Tab A's for my kids a couple years ago. One is locked up and Samsung support couldn't get it working. It is past the 1 year warranty so if I want to send it in to get repaired I have to pay.

Does this fall under the extended warranty stuff for using the Costco Visa? I am planning on making a lunch time run to the service desk. I don't have the receipt but i know they can look that up in the system.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Probably? They'll definitely be able to tell you when you're at the service desk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Touchscreen tablets are specifically called out as NOT being part of their extended warranty program.

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

FCKGW posted:

Touchscreen tablets are specifically called out as NOT being part of their extended warranty program.

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Crap. Figures.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Trastion posted:

Crap. Figures.

Check your credit card for extended warranty protection

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

strangehamster posted:

Check your credit card for extended warranty protection

Unfortunately it is the Costco Citi card and that is what we are already talking about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I went yesterday and dropped about $400 just on food pretty much and got talked into upgrading to an executive membership, lol.

They went hard on me, I guess some post-xmas push. Just gotta ensure I get the difference refunded if it doesn’t pay the for it with the costcobucks.

I hate the layout at my costco because it makes a post-shop dog and soda not worth the hassle of re-lining up to get in.