Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

rath posted:

It's 0.26. They rebranded magic resist to willpower.

:psyduck: But why. What is the actual point of doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does sound a bit nicer and more atmospheric.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

rath posted:

Oh, hello.

This is why I refuse to play crawl anymore, the new trap mechanics are absolute horseshit.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

:psyduck: But why. What is the actual point of doing this.

I've always thought it was weird that magic resist didn't resist magic, just a subset of it. That being said the new name feels weird too. Not sure if there's a good solution to that one.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

changing ‘MR’ for clarity is something I agree with, but then it’s posted alongside spoilery weirdness like ‘non-minotaur gauntlet monsters function differently than all other monsters in the game’ and i get irritated.

oh and i just remembered they axed spectral weapon which was cool and good, and turned it into a brand limited to wooden weapons and artifacts. internal frowning intensifies.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 6, 2021

rath
Apr 25, 2005

What did they do to my boy Orc2, mainline devs have gone too far this time!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that a comment on how it's now contiguous? It's fine, if less fluffy.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
Nah just complaining about all the monsters camping the stairs. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an artifact pearl dragon scales until this game, are they pretty rare?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rath posted:

Nah just complaining about all the monsters camping the stairs. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an artifact pearl dragon scales until this game, are they pretty rare?

A +6 slaying bonus... nice. I had a typical run of Crawl end on a Ziggurat mummy floor. Don't know why I bother wasting my time trying to Zig without Lich form but I couldn't find a book with it in it after getting 14 runes and clearing Zot. Never again, Butchy. Never again.

rath
Apr 25, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

A +6 slaying bonus... nice. I had a typical run of Crawl end on a Ziggurat mummy floor. Don't know why I bother wasting my time trying to Zig without Lich form but I couldn't find a book with it in it after getting 14 runes and clearing Zot. Never again, Butchy. Never again.

Would be nice if I could wear it, getting punished for OpFi memes. I've never felt strong enough to try a Zig but I guess I should just start blendering some characters into them to get the experience.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

MayCauseDrowsiness posted:

I'm enjoying Gooncrawl, but then I find this:

Was this a mistake? The AC boost from +4 to +8 makes it much more useful, but Regen+++ feels like cheating. And it has RMsl on top of all that.

Did you wind up using it for the duration of the game? My experience with vanilla crawl was that people almost never used any of the unrand robes/skins. You tend to die in crawl from a series of very unfortunate rolls. Not having guaranteed damage reduction at all makes that a much more likely occurrence even if the rest of the time it has little impact. This was the reason for adding 4 AC and Regen. RMsl just saves a couple permanent MP since almost any character can maintain it in gooncrawl.

The crappier the original unrand, the less likely I was to have experience with it and therefore I may have pooched a few of those. The point of comparison for artifact redesign was I wanted the unrands to be as compelling as an average-ish randart, but not more compelling than a good randart. With robes an additional comparison is made to transmutation forms. This is difficult to balance because Statue Form and Dragon Form in particular come with some pretty stark disadvantages. The idea is there should be a meaningful decision as to whether or not to use the unrand over something like randart/maxed-out dragon armor or statform.

The danger in doing this is that in balancing for mid and late game as well as trying to keep relevancy in extended, when players can be expected to have access to sInv, RMsl, forms, FDA, GDA, etc., is that it may overpower the item for early game. Zhor is a really good example because the metabolic englaciation has low spell power and can be resisted by one level of rC, so it dies out in effectiveness pretty severely after Lair. In retrospect this is a bigger deal than I thought after seeing how many people play Archaeologists. I'll admit that was a flaw in my reasoning and I wouldn't be opposed to lowering the regen on this item.

I also thought about linking the artifact powers to XL, so the skin for example could have XL/3 or 1+XL/10 regen or something like that. Just turned out to be too hard to code processing expressions in the artifact loading code, for me anyway.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serephina posted:

Is that a comment on how it's now contiguous? It's fine, if less fluffy.

once again i'm left wondering, why would you do this? why make this change?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Araganzar posted:

In retrospect this is a bigger deal than I thought after seeing how many people play Archaeologists. I'll admit that was a flaw in my reasoning and I wouldn't be opposed to lowering the regen on this item.

I've seen a tremendous amount of Archaeologist player ghosts in playing on Kelbi. People really like their artifact box, huh? :shepface:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Victory Position posted:

I've seen a tremendous amount of Archaeologist player ghosts in playing on Kelbi. People really like their artifact box, huh? :shepface:

I almost exclusively play them because that cracker jack box is awesome and kind of sets up the rest of your game based on what pops out.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

im only missing vampire archaeologist before i'll have won every race archaeologist combo in gooncrawl

sure wish gooncrawl had at least simplified-state vp though, playing them is just... ughhhh

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Archaeologists of Gozag for the ultimate lootbox experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jazerus posted:

once again i'm left wondering, why would you do this? why make this change?

They where shrinking all branches since there was a lot of low-threat fodder going on, and Orc's disconnected-stairs theme doesn't work with only 2 levels. I can understand it, but I did prefer the old way.

edit:

Araganzar posted:

Did you wind up using it for the duration of the game? My experience with vanilla crawl was that people almost never used any of the unrand robes/skins.

Good logic imo. Fun fixedarts are always welcome, as long as they don't carry a character into Zot by themselves.

I like to think of Sil, that had a lot of fixedarts that most could be used all game, but the dev had the goal of 'the player should be able to forge their own, better stuff' which allowed for quantity-over-quality with the artifacts, and a focus on being quirky rather than big numbers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 9, 2021

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Serephina posted:

They where shrinking all branches since there was a lot of low-threat fodder going on, and Orc's disconnected-stairs theme doesn't work with only 2 levels. I can understand it, but I did prefer the old way.

Should’ve just cut an extra two off of Lair and let Orc stay three or something. Even with the small set of enemies, I always found Orc more fun to play than Lair, and that poo poo used to go on for ages and ages of slaying sheep and running from hydras.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly Lair is just a big brain check, you either know how to deal with hydras and spiny frogs, and you live, or you don't know how to deal with them and you die. Honestly the only two real threats in lair barring some surprisingly OOD uniques.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Best purchase of my life, just got 3 un-id'd acquirement scrolls for $69. Nice.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly Lair is just a big brain check, you either know how to deal with hydras and spiny frogs, and you live, or you don't know how to deal with them and you die. Honestly the only two real threats in lair barring some surprisingly OOD uniques.

Runner-up mention goes to manticores, who are also a source of frustration in the Shoals.

rath
Apr 25, 2005

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Best purchase of my life, just got 3 un-id'd acquirement scrolls for $69. Nice.

Nice.

Victory Position posted:

Runner-up mention goes to manticores, who are also a source of frustration in the Shoals.

I forgot how badly Shoals can blender an AC based melee character until recently.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

rath posted:

I forgot how badly Shoals can blender an AC based melee character until recently.

One really nice thing about Ashenzari is that you can count on being at lv. 4 piety by the time you reach Shoals, meaning that you're filled with the clarity to shrug off being mesmerized.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

For me the sign I'm in trouble is I get beat to crap by blink frogs. Doesn't seem bad but it's basically multiple Orc Warriors with 14 speed and high EV. I can't count the number of times I thought I could rock Lair and suddenly I'm teleporting away from 4 frogs and a snake.

rath posted:

Shoals is a range vs AC check. You have manticores, javelineers, aquamancers with 3 different 3d18-3d23 damage spells, water nymphs with a 3d17 unavoidable smite. Guaranteed damage reduction doesn't apply to ranged or spell damage so if you limped through lair with a big AC and low EV the bell curve on your damage suddenly changes dramatically. DMsl makes a big difference if your branch or version has it.

Most MR-based bad situations in Shoals you can teleport away from. I recommend a hair trigger on this, with the open floor plan and fast water movement it's super easy for a situation to turn unsalvageable quickly. One trick if you need to bug out quick is you can't blink out of a mesmerize situation but you CAN blink to a square where the mesmerizer can no longer see you and then you are free to blink away or otherwise act. It can save your life if you're going to die in 2 turns and fog is likely to block your egress. Also, Silence breaks mesmerize.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a guy who plays dumb AC characters, I find Shoals to be really fun. Absurdly dangerous, but in a good way that really keeps you on your toes during the quiet times, and forces you to pause and think about your tools during the hectic times instead of just mashing tab. The flip side of this is that it's very dense and draining, and needs chill easy areas to compensate. Hive was great at this, I suppose the closest we have now is orc/lair?

As an aside, this is why I can't play Cogmind for days on end. Gives me stress!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i will forever stan hive as a chill break branch where you just smash bees and load up on delicious food

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hive is were i die stupidly to wasps and drowning

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I think I'm sensing a pattern in this particular run.

edit: Okay, this is the seventh randart weapon I've found. This is getting ridiculous. There's randart crystal plate mail sitting in a shop on an earlier floor as well.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 15, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Jazerus posted:

i will forever stan hive as a chill break branch where you just smash bees and load up on delicious food

That’s right, ignite poison. Fire fire fire burn burn burn

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

lol they made frozen ramparts break when you move bc of course they did, cant have people having FUN

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hope crawl kimchi doesn't port that over, that's dumb as poo poo lmao. it basically requires you to be in melee range of monsters anyways so i don't see what the issue is with the spell.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Johnny Joestar posted:

i hope crawl kimchi doesn't port that over, that's dumb as poo poo lmao. it basically requires you to be in melee range of monsters anyways so i don't see what the issue is with the spell.

it also had the restriction of being unable to cast it again until the old one expired, which seemed like a good balance to me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Yeah, hive was a fun bit of flavor that was usually just smashing bees but could still be a challenge, and nothing was really gained from removing it!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

it also had the restriction of being unable to cast it again until the old one expired, which seemed like a good balance to me.

also the fact that it was basically restricted by the geometry around you and you had to hope the monsters would cooperate depending on if you had an enclosed area to funnel them into or not. making it so the caster has to stand in place is dumb as poo poo and i don't know if i'd want to bother with it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Conjure Flames still works, even though it's not smite-targeted any more, so can't really see the point as to why you can't freeze the walls as you walk along.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm not sure what I did but my screen is the wrong size now. The text bottom is cut off and the health and map are cut off on the side of the screen. I've tried refreshing the screen and using ctrl +/- to move around the screen size. Any advice?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Man, first time to Zot. Got to Zot:5, mobbed to death by orb guardians + killer klowns at the end.

I had an amazing fight with Tiamat. Didn't even realize what was happening until I was twelve ways to hosed. Eeked out a victory but then got overconfident when I read that Tiamat is the toughest thing you'll face in a three rune game. Seemed true too, I waltzed my way from Zot:1 to Zot:5 just going o-tab-o-tab-o-tab. hosed myself.

Still, farthest I've ever gotten.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah even if you can just mash tab through most of zot, Zot5 can mess you up.

I've lost more characters to being careless around orbs of fire than I care to admit.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Speaking of, I've been playing 0.25 but what is the gooncensus on the best version of Crawl to play? Gooncrawl doesn't want to work for me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Johnny Joestar posted:

also the fact that it was basically restricted by the geometry around you and you had to hope the monsters would cooperate depending on if you had an enclosed area to funnel them into or not. making it so the caster has to stand in place is dumb as poo poo and i don't know if i'd want to bother with it.

It would’ve been cool if they balanced it by changing the ratio of open to close dungeon floors. Might have had other effects, idk