Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I didn't say that cause in the incel mindset, hookers don't count, and i don't think we see any evidence of him actually sleeping with his fiancee.

He has an affair with the drugged-out wife of his co-worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Travis Bickle is a proto-incel

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
He’s married to Cameron Diaz somehow but John Cusack in Being John Malkovich has major incel energy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Travis Bickle is a proto-incel

At least in the case of Bickle he has the excuse of being traumatized and probably having PTSD from him military service. Modern incels are typically well off people who actually have a lot going for them in life and they just can't accept that there might be on aspect of it that might not come easy to them. They're much more petulant and arrogant than Bickle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

POC incels are complaining specifically about sexual access to white partners and would consider dating or sleeping with someone non-white a downgrade.
The most pathetic loving people, jesus christ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The most pathetic loving people, jesus christ

Ask a black incel why he doesn't like or isn't attracted to black women and you'll basically get uncut Turner Diaries poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Y'know, I dont know why I would balk at the idea of POC white supremacists, given that i worked with one for a few years. (She wasnt an incel, just a normal seeming black woman who had apparently decided at some point to let her sexual fetish for racism run her whole entire life.)

To bring this kinda back towards movies, when reading through ur-incel Rodgers manifesto years ago in an SA thread, I remember thinking that if you wrote a character with the combination of "genuinely incredibly pathetic" and "utterly convinced of their own greatness" as ER had, audiences would reject it as being too over the top and unbelievable.

Are there any movies that go into a character like that? He couldnt hold a do nothing job for more than one day, or actually speak to a woman, but he was convinced he was the Ultimate Gentleman, and so blessed by the universe that his ticket not winning the lottery was a robbery, an affront to how the world was supposed to work.

I would say the sadistic boy king character from the early seasons of Game of Thrones comes close.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Eggnogium posted:

He’s married to Cameron Diaz somehow but John Cusack in Being John Malkovich has major incel energy.

Ooh and like major "i'm an incredible genius too good for a normal life" vibes too,

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
joker is basically the incel movie they were waiting for

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The definition of White also expands beyond Caucasian people. Some Asian/Middle Eastern people consider themselves white too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

joker is basically the incel movie they were waiting for

It still makes me laugh that places like io9 convinced themselves that there would be dozens of mass shootings across the country because of the Joker, and then were devastated when nothing happened.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Man. Remember when theater shootings were a thing before movie theaters ended because of the plague.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mycot posted:

Man. Remember when theater shootings were a thing before movie theaters ended because of the plague.

Anecdotal but both of the local Cinemark's are selling out of private showings daily

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I worked across the parking lot from the theater where the batman shooting happened.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've not seen either screen version, but presuming they're faithful to the book, Harold Lauder from The Stand has strong incel energy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The definition of White also expands beyond Caucasian people. Some Asian/Middle Eastern people consider themselves white too.

The US government's official definition of White is the native peoples of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

I worked across the parking lot from the theater where the batman shooting happened.

Your avatar makes it look like you're smugly proud of this fact.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyAl posted:

I did that crazy Batman Trilogy deal where Begins and Dark Knight were shown before Rises... got out at like 2-3am and my phone pinged with news like WTF

Karloff posted:

I've not seen either screen version, but presuming they're faithful to the book, Harold Lauder from The Stand has strong incel energy.
Iirc he bones down with Nadine and his acne clears up/gets in moderate shape. Incel to Proud Boy, basically.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I love the part of the book where it describes that he is actually an intelligent guy with a lot of potential. That he could have gone down a path of kindness and he would have been respected by people and loved, but he just couldn't let go of his self-absorbed bitterness and it hosed everything for him. I suspect that's true of a lot of people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

I did that crazy Batman Trilogy deal where Begins and Dark Knight were shown before Rises... got out at like 2-3am and my phone pinged with news like WTF

Iirc he bones down with Nadine and his acne clears up/gets in moderate shape. Incel to Proud Boy, basically.

same thing happened to me except my mom didn’t know what theater I was at since that one was only 30 mins away from me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chairman Capone posted:

It still makes me laugh that places like io9 convinced themselves that there would be dozens of mass shootings across the country because of the Joker, and then were devastated when nothing happened.

Tbf that was mostly because a retired police officer had been repeatedly making media tours saying it was going to happen because he thought the aurora shooter had dressed as the joker despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Joker inspired nerds to dance on stairs, Frozen 2 inspired a machete fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Joker inspired nerds to dance on stairs, Frozen 2 inspired a machete fight.

And Slenderman inspired attempted human sacrifice by little girls.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How about one of the more cursed sentences in recent memory?

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1347628476409524225

"Eli Roth's Borderlands movie"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Blanchett seems to be taking roles that promises her a good time but Hart will attempt to steal the show but fails (and just have people asking where Dwayne Johnson is)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oh no, not Budapest!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Blanchett seems to be taking roles that promises her a good time but Hart will attempt to steal the show but fails (and just have people asking where Dwayne Johnson is)

In the third Jumanji movie Hart easily stole the movie from Dawyne Johnson because the director forced him to do a Danny DeVIto impression.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Your avatar makes it look like you're smugly proud of this fact.

Nah I just think about it sometimes.

Your avatar makes it look like you're cooking a scheme up to defeat "Kirby"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Borderlands movie" is already a cursed enough phrase, jfc. I liked those games cuz of the gameplay, but everything that involved dialogue or characters or "jokes" or loving IDEAS (outside of point gun and shoot at bad thing) was loving cancer-inducing.

"Eli Roth's Borderlands movie featuring Ryan Reynolds" would have be the full horror im expecting
He can voice the fUnNy RoBoT

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Borderlands movie" is already a cursed enough phrase, jfc. I liked those games cuz of the gameplay, but everything that involved dialogue or characters or "jokes" or loving IDEAS (outside of point gun and shoot at bad thing) was loving cancer-inducing.

"Eli Roth's Borderlands movie featuring Ryan Reynolds" would have be the full horror im expecting
He can voice the fUnNy RoBoT

Claptrap is great you shut your face hole.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Claptrap was really uhhh....really "funny"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The thing is that Borderlands can be a good setting. I felt like Telltales' Tales from the Borderlands did a pretty good job even though I don't really like the main games. You get rid of about 90% of the terrible monkey cheese humor and lean into the stuff about it being a horrifically over the top corporate dystopia, and keep Claptrap to just a few minutes so it hits right, and it can be a pretty good dark comedy. I, uh, don't think Eli Roth's the right person for the job though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah Borderlands is fine when Gearbox isn't the one making it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Len posted:

Claptrap is great you shut your face hole.

I too love having a shrill voice scream Reddit memes at me for 40 hours.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The thing is that Borderlands can be a good setting. I felt like Telltales' Tales from the Borderlands did a pretty good job even though I don't really like the main games. You get rid of about 90% of the terrible monkey cheese humor and lean into the stuff about it being a horrifically over the top corporate dystopia, and keep Claptrap to just a few minutes so it hits right, and it can be a pretty good dark comedy. I, uh, don't think Eli Roth's the right person for the job though.

The DLC can also have decent writing, with the Tiny Tina DLC in 2 and the Krieg DLC in 3 coming to mind. They both have fairly similar stories, so I guess just do the movie about dealing with grief.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrBling posted:

How about one of the more cursed sentences in recent memory?

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1347628476409524225

"Eli Roth's Borderlands movie"

"kevin hart"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1347999216363315201

clownass could have hosed on a pile of gold in fort knox but no

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

"kevin hart"

Kevin Hart can be really good. He can also be the worst thing in any movie. It really seems like a toss up in which one you get from movie to movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Honestly surprised she didn't try to adopt her fake autobiography about hiding from terrorists in Zambia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I constantly get vibes of Helen Heyer from "V For Vendetta" from that lady.