Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Short Cuts and realized how much of it P.T. Anderson ripped off for Magnolia.

One hundred percent of it?

DeimosRising posted:

i tend to agree but otoh, the beer hall putsch was also a joke carried out by incompetents and amateurs and look what they went on to accomplish

Sure but what's the point of the S.A. when those guys can simply become cops or judges or politicians? It's not like any of them will get in trouble for it. Beer Hall Putsch is ominous because Hitler and a few others actually went to prison. All these people fanning themselves and fainting on TV really do the public a complete disservice when just last month they were making excuses for why ICE still exists or snapping at people who dared to say you should give the police one dollar less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well if I'm being generous to Anderson, which I'm inclined to be because I love his films, I might make the argument that Magnolia is more of a response to Short Cuts rather than just an imitation. I feel like the characters in Magnolia learn more, have more important revelations, and I come away from the movie with more hope than I went into it with. Short Cuts is more of a gut punch. Best example is the "acts of God" that take place at the end of both films, the one in Short Cuts seems to have the opposite purpose as the one in Magnolia.

These are all my very initial thoughts on having only seen Short Cuts the one time, so I may feel differently when I watch it again.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sure but what's the point of the S.A. when those guys can simply become cops or judges or politicians? It's not like any of them will get in trouble for it. Beer Hall Putsch is ominous because Hitler and a few others actually went to prison. All these people fanning themselves and fainting on TV really do the public a complete disservice when just last month they were making excuses for why ICE still exists or snapping at people who dared to say you should give the police one dollar less.

Oh absolutely, like the ultimate line that cannot be crossed is federal property damage but all the actual, real violence before that was fine. The prison thing is a good point - Hitler and pals got to go stew and plan and organize. Which is why America just never lets political prisoners out at all.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Is Jonathan Pollard free? That dude was the best, he approached an Admiral in the Aus Navy and said "wanna buy secrets" so that dude called the government and was all "America is trying to do a really awkward obvious sting on me to root out leaks please call the CIA and tell them I'm a good boy" but no, that's just Pollard bein' wild for free

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

Is Jonathan Pollard free? That dude was the best, he approached an Admiral in the Aus Navy and said "wanna buy secrets" so that dude called the government and was all "America is trying to do a really awkward obvious sting on me to root out leaks please call the CIA and tell them I'm a good boy" but no, that's just Pollard bein' wild for free
I hope this old man's crude scribbles answer your question.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I hope this old man's crude scribbles answer your question.

:patriot:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh this weird SMG rec is on Amazon if you can't watch YouTube on a TV and have amazon, too

It's pretty bananas! Editing to make you wild and more movies should spend half their time meandering Thai canyons

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 8, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Oh absolutely, like the ultimate line that cannot be crossed is federal property damage but all the actual, real violence before that was fine. The prison thing is a good point - Hitler and pals got to go stew and plan and organize. Which is why America just never lets political prisoners out at all.

We see how America treats people it deems to actually be threatening, all these geeks combined would not get half the scrutiny of a Leonard Peltier or Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

God drat Bringing Out the Dead is underappreciated as gently caress. I first saw it over 20 years ago when I was a silly high school kid and thought it was kinda meh. Rewatched it last night, and it's incredible.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

God drat Bringing Out the Dead is underappreciated as gently caress. I first saw it over 20 years ago when I was a silly high school kid and thought it was kinda meh. Rewatched it last night, and it's incredible.
YES, real good. One of the handful of films where Cage going buck wild is essential to the plot instead of just seasoning.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah. It definitely feels as if it were someone’s first script, right? Ambitious but highly constructed, a little too much artifice, a little too slick and clever, lacking a human quality that would come from a touch more naturalism. But it goes in a way that very few pictures dare.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah. It definitely feels as if it were someone’s first script, right? Ambitious but highly constructed, a little too much artifice, a little too slick and clever, lacking a human quality that would come from a touch more naturalism. But it goes in a way that very few pictures dare.

That's a great way to describe it. It does almost feel like an amateur film made by a seasoned pro. Like if Cronenberg made Scanners today.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's what I get from most of Scorcese's films, honestly- he's got this endless reserve of enthusiasm for the act of making movies that means you'll always get something crazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's a great way to describe it. It does almost feel like an amateur film made by a seasoned pro. Like if Cronenberg made Scanners today.

I mean, Bringing Out the Dead was directed by Scorsese.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We see how America treats people it deems to actually be threatening, all these geeks combined would not get half the scrutiny of a Leonard Peltier or Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Yankee freaks dropped bombs on that black power group in Chicago and killed a bunch of families, probably not gonna shoot any of these guys kids

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hell yeah The Magic Christian is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2zTnOJ94I

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Peccadillo posted:

Yankee freaks dropped bombs on that black power group in Chicago and killed a bunch of families, probably not gonna shoot any of these guys kids

Most of the surviving members of MOVE are still in prison to this day, meanwhile shitheads like Tom Metzger die in their homes surrounded by their grandkids.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Robert Seth Hayes died a few days after being released from prison, during the height of the film Black Panther’s popularity, and these fucks were using his picture in marvel movie collages without even knowing who he was or that he had died.

It was beyond infuriating.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
RIP Michael Apted :(

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Spatulater bro! posted:

Thank you for reminding me I bought that movie recently, I remember watching it about the same time as you did and I havent seen it since, all I really remember of it is Cage doing a Cage, it taking place entirely at night (my favorite trope!), and being enraptured by it as I watched.

This isnt TVIV, but I've also been whiling away my empty night-shifts by re-watching Oz, it didnt occur to me twenty years ago just how ridiculously insecure Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary was. I remember it being a hard-hitting prison-drama that wasnt afraid to use the word oval office and show wangs and have dudes kissing each other, older me is just enjoying a silly soap opera (with wangs and dudes kissing each other).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no. I actually like The World is Not Enough

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watching Bring It On, whatever happened to Kirsten Dunst? I don't remember her being in anything after Spider-Man 3.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

C-Euro posted:

Watching Bring It On, whatever happened to Kirsten Dunst? I don't remember her being in anything after Spider-Man 3.

Melancholia was 2011? And she was in Hidden Figures a few years ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably hit that age where Hollywood discriminately stops casting women between being a young woman and an elderly woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda assumed she just didn't let Harvey Weinstein rape her so she was black listed.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

C-Euro posted:

She's pretty brilliant in Marie Antoinette and Fargo season 2. Her performance in Melancholia was fantastic.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Ah man :(

I really need to rewatch the Up series, especially since I haven’t seen the most recent one yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't seen anything mentioned in these past few posts other than Hidden Figures which would explain it!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Simiain posted:

Thank you for reminding me I bought that movie recently, I remember watching it about the same time as you did and I havent seen it since, all I really remember of it is Cage doing a Cage, it taking place entirely at night (my favorite trope!), and being enraptured by it as I watched.

This isnt TVIV, but I've also been whiling away my empty night-shifts by re-watching Oz, it didnt occur to me twenty years ago just how ridiculously insecure Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary was. I remember it being a hard-hitting prison-drama that wasnt afraid to use the word oval office and show wangs and have dudes kissing each other, older me is just enjoying a silly soap opera (with wangs and dudes kissing each other).

Oz is so goofy. It’s genuinely great at its best, but some of it is mind bogglingly stupid (aging pills) and it’s never boring.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

She has flipped between doing indie movies - usually with Sofia Coppola, surprising no one - and doing whatever midbudget studio pics get made. It’s not exactly fun to be in gigantic blockbuster movies, and she cashed in good on the Spider-Man films so it’s not like she needs the work.

She paused her career to have and raise a kid with Jesse Plemons after doing Midnight Special and Hidden Figures, though. That’s why she’s been gone recently.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

I kinda assumed she just didn't let Harvey Weinstein rape her so she was black listed.

This comment is a bad comment. The whole concept of rape is the lack of consent and you might not have intended this but the language you're using sounds victim blaming.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I, Butthole posted:

I met him a few times. He was a very nice man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

This comment is a bad comment. The whole concept of rape is the lack of consent and you might not have intended this but the language you're using sounds victim blaming.

Harvey Weinstein tried to do something with her and she said no and through luck, fate or physical ability was able to make that no stick and her reward for that was she had fewer jobs available to her.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Need a Pain & Gain style depiction of the karaoke coup. Robert Pattinson as zip tie guy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/chiweethedog/status/1347779970085502976

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/jourdayen/status/1347666234117152768?s=20

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

C-Euro posted:

She rules in Fargo.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cameo posted:

She paused her career to have and raise a kid with Jesse Plemons after doing Midnight Special and Hidden Figures, though. That’s why she’s been gone recently.

Didn't know about this, what a cute couple! :swoon:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The movie where who whats now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TrixRabbi posted:

The movie where who whats now?

holy gently caress the plot synopsis on this is a roller coaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Heart_Is_(2000_film)