Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone watched Sweet Home on Netflix? Pretty great in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

Watching Enemy of the State(HBO Max), and it's one of those late 90's movies where you look back on it and the cast is just absurd, and not always in a good way. The CIA hit squad? Jake Busey, Scott Caan and Barry Pepper. The CIA surveillance expert that gets like 7 minutes of screentime? Jack Black. The surveillance team? Jamie Kennedy AND Seth Green. Who would ever cast both of those guys? Guy who shows up and drives Will Smith around for about 2 minutes? Gabriel Byrne for some reason.

It goes on and on. I'm not even mentioning Tom Sizemore, or John Voigt.

I had a friend in High School that got obsessed with that movie. He refused to look up and wore a hat all the time just like Gene Hackman because he didn't want the satellites seeing him.

He also would rub his index finger because he was obsessed with the movie Sniper and in it Tom Berrenger mentioned how constantly rubbing your finger makes it more sensitive and easier to fire a gun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I like thinking of enemy of the state as a sequel to the conversation, it's also one of those late 90s movies where they went all in on the tech of the day (like minidiscs for example) that no one ends up using a few years later.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Basebf555 posted:

Watching Enemy of the State(HBO Max), and it's one of those late 90's movies where you look back on it and the cast is just absurd, and not always in a good way. The CIA hit squad? Jake Busey, Scott Caan and Barry Pepper. The CIA surveillance expert that gets like 7 minutes of screentime? Jack Black. The surveillance team? Jamie Kennedy AND Seth Green. Who would ever cast both of those guys? Guy who shows up and drives Will Smith around for about 2 minutes? Gabriel Byrne for some reason.

It goes on and on. I'm not even mentioning Tom Sizemore, or John Voigt.

Been a while since I watched it and was trying to remember Sizemore's part. Then it shortly dawned on me he was the mafia guy. Quite the flexible actor.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone watched Sweet Home on Netflix? Pretty great in my opinion

I really enjoyed it... For the first 5 episodes. And then it very clearly ran out of budget.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its also looking back with current knowledge. Of the actors listed in the post, Jack Black, Jaime Kennedy, Scott Caan and Jake Busey were all pretty much still nobodies when Enemy of the State was filmed.
Yeahh, I was hoping somebody would point out the stupidly obvious. It's not that older movies just had more stacked casts. 🤣 Time does this to a lot of movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeahh, I was hoping somebody would point out the stupidly obvious. It's not that older movies just had more stacked casts. 🤣 Time does this to a lot of movies.

Oh absolutely. My point wasn't that the late 90s had more stacked casts than other eras. Actually more like the opposite, you had pretty weird actors like Jake Busey and Seth Green and Jamie Kennedy and here they are in 1998 getting like, actual speaking roles in a big blockbuster Will Smith movie. It seems bizarre looking back on it that these guys were cast. The surreal feeling is only increased when you see an actual legit good actor in Gabriel Byrne show up for a blink and you miss it cameo.

Seriously, what other movie has Green, Kennedy, AND Jack Black, let alone a (mostly) serious Tony Scott thriller.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can finally rewatch Enemy of the State because technology has advanced to the point of making the 3D rotating security footage somewhat plausible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

I can finally rewatch Enemy of the State because technology has advanced to the point of making the 3D rotating security footage somewhat plausible.

Not gonna lie, all this talk about it and I totally added it to my watchlist.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That episode of MST3K always stood out to me because I genuinely enjoyed the movie and was one of the few that I've rewatched a couple times without the MST3K treatment.

My dad was offended when the MST3K movie came out because that was his favorite movie as a kid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love the Metaluna Mutant design but the movie’s then-status as this untouchable classic was so unearned. It’s average at best, which is why it made such good fodder for MST3k.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ugh, it has some charming moments but The Brand New Testament on Prime just feels like Amelie B-Sides and not in a good way.
I guess I'm saying it's full of the sort of tedious cheap and easy attempted profundities that Jean-Pierre Jeunet would pass on.
This is kinda what happens when your movie was written by an 50 something year old Belgian guy (not too unlike the God of the movie).
woah did you know you have lascia ch'io pianga and la mer playing inside of you??? isn't that just like, so moving??

I'm jaded so I guess this probably blew some people away.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
"History of Swear Words" on Netflix is pretty amusing especially if you want to see some more Cage swearing, despite probably targeting 13 year old boys. It's short.

edit: someone on imgur described it as "basically VH1" so yeah

Glottis fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Netflix users, does anyone else think the group shot they use to advertise The Good Place makes Kristen Bell look like she's 70?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Netflix users, does anyone else think the group shot they use to advertise The Good Place makes Kristen Bell look like she's 70?
I think Netflix chooses between multiple thumbnails based on what they think you'll be interested in.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

I think Netflix chooses between multiple thumbnails based on what they think you'll be interested in.

Yep. Since I tend to watch almost everything Netflix doesn't know WTF to do with me. Might all flip over to the hot girl shot because I watched something that horny dudes watch, then the next day flip to all men because I watched something popular with middle-aged women. It's fun.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You would have to post a picture of the thumbnail

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:rip: shared cultural space. I know hyperpersonalization is just a different flavor of capitalism and mass media forcing everybody to watch the same poo poo was equally bad but I kinda miss it

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
This is a weird moment in history to start HBO's Rome for the first time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

JaneError posted:

This is a weird moment in history to start HBO's Rome for the first time.

Never a bad time!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finished up Cobra Kai. What a darn good goofy show.

I was amazed that Johnny didn't screw up his girlfriend situation at the end.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
:same:

I was 100% expecting him to gently caress that up entirely.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lotta Werner Herzog on Prime rn...Wasn't a huge fan of Woyzeck (Kinski's face is amazing and there are some good lines but the play is whatever), Stroszek was nice mostly for the first chunk and ending...
I definitely recommend The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser based on the true story (kinda) of a "foundling". Also features Bruno S, like Stroszek...it's really a shame he didn't do more movies...there's a real quality to him.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Strozsek is, among other things, a legit great "death of the American dream" film

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

lotta Werner Herzog on Prime rn...Wasn't a huge fan of Woyzeck (Kinski's face is amazing and there are some good lines but the play is whatever), Stroszek was nice mostly for the first chunk and ending...
I definitely recommend The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser based on the true story (kinda) of a "foundling". Also features Bruno S, like Stroszek...it's really a shame he didn't do more movies...there's a real quality to him.

Yeah, that's basically my opinion of Woyzeck, it's definitely my least favorite of their collaborations. I recall liking Cobra Verde more, although I think a lot of that was also just due to Kinski's weird face.

In terms of the Prime offerings, Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly are also rad. And Bad Lieutenant, but everyone already knows that. Stroszek is ok too, I guess.

But my all time Herzog fave is The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, which is only 45 minutes and freely available on youtube/vimeo. La Soufrière is another great short one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the Warrior recommendations here, I’m halfway through season 1 and loving it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just watched Birds of Prey on HBO Max. I liked it a lot! Washed the bad taste of WW84 out of my mouth, at least. It's kind of the movie I had expected Suicide Squad to be: colorful, energetic, and full of random DC comics people I don't know aside from Harley Quinn.

Also, if there are any pro wrestling fans here: all I could think of with Huntress was Bayley's heel gimmick and it made me laugh every single time; I loved it.

Last thing: Ewan McGregor was phenomenal.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The History of Swearing went up on Netflix a couple of days ago. Nic Cage as the host is very good and self aware. It's a little bit unfocused and you can tell they maybe didn't always have a lot to say about each word. Episodes are a short (these days) 21 minutes so it doesn't drag.

And I jumped on that Warrior train a few days ago. Good poo poo!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

surf rock posted:

Just watched Birds of Prey on HBO Max. I liked it a lot! Washed the bad taste of WW84 out of my mouth, at least. It's kind of the movie I had expected Suicide Squad to be: colorful, energetic, and full of random DC comics people I don't know aside from Harley Quinn.

Also, if there are any pro wrestling fans here: all I could think of with Huntress was Bayley's heel gimmick and it made me laugh every single time; I loved it.

Last thing: Ewan McGregor was phenomenal.

Hahaha oh dear, it's true, I had more fun with that movie. I should give it the rewatch it deserves.

I also got me Disney+ and have been re-watching/and watching the X-men movies. The old ones had their own charm, and are still enjoyable even if some effects have aged bad. The new ones? Oh...god, so bad. I didn't watch Dark Phoenix in theaters and...jesus...what a mess, I won't say much but that many people were right about how you can see that Jennifer Lawrence didn't want to be in those movies. Only First Class and Days of Future Past are salvageable, the rest are absolute burning trash.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alright I did The Expanse, extremely good. I'm glad I watched from the beginning, I did *not* remember huge swaths of plot. Also now instead of hating Amos, I'm completely sympathetic to the guy who smashed all the asteroids into Earth.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Thanks to whoever recommended zerozerozero on prime. The first episode was decent from the get go and it's steadily ramped up from there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm completely sympathetic to the guy who

Really? I wanted to smack the poo poo out of him and his kid. I liked the Belter separatists in the first few seasons.

As far as likeable bad guys, I thought Burn Gorman's portrayal of Murtry in S4 was a bright spot. I wish they had found more ways to get him and Amos in a staredown; the one scene they had together was the best of the season.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's a travesty that Twin Peaks on Netflix has the "skip intro" button.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended zerozerozero on prime. The first episode was decent from the get go and it's steadily ramped up from there.

That was me, and glad you're enjoying it. I can't remember which episode(s) they're from, but the night club scene (you'll know it, it's "the Michael Mann scene" to me) and the sequence on the container ship were both amazing to me.

Simone Magus posted:

It's a travesty that Twin Peaks on Netflix has the "skip intro" button.

When you binge watch it, there's only so many times you can hear "Falling" before it gets a bit too much.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My favorite is The Mandalorian's "skip intro", which just skips 1-2 seconds of the title logo fading.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Sand Monster posted:

That was me, and glad you're enjoying it. I can't remember which episode(s) they're from, but the night club scene (you'll know it, it's "the Michael Mann scene" to me) and the sequence on the container ship were both amazing to me.

Yeah both of those scenes happened in episode 2 which is exactly where we got hooked. This Mexican special forces storyline in particular is insane. I love the total 180 in how your view of vampiro goes from this sympathetic, pious dude in episode 1 to a straight psychopath in episode 2.

That's the thing about this show, all three story threads are really entertaining in their own right, but the way that they intertwine and collide is awesome. It's also the first show I've watched in a long time that has this much going on but I can still follow and keep track of everyone's motivations.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 9, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah both of those scenes happened in episode 2 which is exactly where we got hooked. This Mexican special forces storyline in particular is insane.

Please circle back and let me know what you think when you finish it. :munch:

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Birds of Prey low-key kind of ruled and I enjoyed that it had smaller-scale, coherent action sequences that got me more invested than the typical superhero CG fuckfest

ricro fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 9, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

Birds of Prey low-key kind of ruled and I enjoyed that it had smaller-scale, coherent action sequences that got me more invested than the typical superhero CG fuckfest

I still dream of having that egg sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SlipkPIe posted:

Low key? Friend, it high key ruled