Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ElMaligno posted:

Protip: Dont smell pure acetic acid, it will burn your nose hairs.

Isn't that the one RTV Silicon sends off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

That is the one

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Vinegar is dilute acetic acid

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Internet Wizard posted:

You could always switch to a social sciences major like me and then put off the real good dread to what the hell to do AFTER getting that BA

Already got two of those brah. This is why I'm doing science now :/

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have so got my popcorn ready if the Visa issue is going to reveal that every university in the country has been jacking tuition to take advantage of international students and therefore everyone else.

Can't wait.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I have so got my popcorn ready if the Visa issue is going to reveal that every university in the country has been jacking tuition to take advantage of international students and therefore everyone else.

Can't wait.

Oh, absolutely it will.

I was an international student at one point. For local students tuition was $1500 per year. For international students it was $12,500. Universities are going to take a serious hit if they can't have their international students enrolled.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My university ran about $22k/yr for in-state and about $65k/yr for international students

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction.

I am currently enrolled in school with the VocRehab program through my local office in Oakland CA. My paperwork and everything is set up and I am getting my monthly stipend but I am having a hell of a time getting in contact with my counselor to get my school supplies. I have paid out of pocket so far and got the sheet to submit for reimbursement but my counselor and office in general is pretty much not responding to any emails. I cant leave voicemails because my counselor leave her voice mailbox full.

Any recommendations on my next steps? Should I contact the IG? Senator? I really dont know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Sheriff Jake posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction.

I am currently enrolled in school with the VocRehab program through my local office in Oakland CA. My paperwork and everything is set up and I am getting my monthly stipend but I am having a hell of a time getting in contact with my counselor to get my school supplies. I have paid out of pocket so far and got the sheet to submit for reimbursement but my counselor and office in general is pretty much not responding to any emails. I cant leave voicemails because my counselor leave her voice mailbox full.

Any recommendations on my next steps? Should I contact the IG? Senator? I really dont know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go up their chain. Oakland has a regional office (it will probably take a lot of asking around, though). Everyone has a boss.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I emailed the office manager through linkedin a week ago and still havent heard back . No one has a posted contact email on the site. Should I just try first name. last name@ va.gov?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Sheriff Jake posted:

I emailed the office manager through linkedin a week ago and still havent heard back . No one has a posted contact email on the site. Should I just try first name. last name@ va.gov?

Not a really good idea. A lot of folks have name.initial.lastnameinteger.civ@whatever.whatever

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The school sent out the first really solid plan they have for the return in the fall and part of it is a certain type of COVID-19 test that the student is responsible for getting and paying out of pocket for before returning to university. They will be doing testing throughout the semester on their own dime but the student needs to pay for the one to get back on campus first. They said they would have more information later this month on the time frames they are looking at for a valid test.

The most important part of this post is basically me asking if the VA actually offers and testing outside of being deathly ill? Like I have no problem paying for it out of pocket at a Walgreens or something if it isn’t crazy expensive but it’s be nice to actually be seen by a Dr in the northeast system since I haven’t seen one in a couple of years when I got enrolled in whatever region Vegas falls under.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Sheriff Jake posted:

This is a long shot, but if VA is like the SSA, we have a master directory of employees (I use it for when I need to contact a random rear end employee in bumfuck whereever for a claim). Try going to your local Vet Center (when I work-studied there 80% of our job was basically helping people navigate the VA maze) and see if the office manager there can help you shag down their contact information.

It's Friday afternoon but on Monday I'll call my old boss who manages the one here in Mobile, and see if he has any advice. PM me with the names.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Welp we're almost done with week 2 of class and not only has there been massive frat parties every weekend with nothing done about it (expel them IMO or at least suspend their enrollment until after COVID, if they're gonna try to infect and possibly kill each other/campus staff/other students/instructors/the families of the previous groups), but shockingly enough sewage testing has found there are unknown COVID cases in at least 4 of the dorm buildings.

No changes though, gotta keep going.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Same here, plus the administration has not distributed the data to everyone, just the affected dorms.

I officially know of one case, there are dozens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My school has a covid tracker. Nearly 5000 known cases and 56 deaths in the county it is in. I will be attending class via Zoom until further notice.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Almost 10% positive in the first 24 hours of off-campus testing. They separated it from the on-campus test pool to try and reduce the damage of the increase and are still trucking along. Every idiot I know that has been pretending everything is normal since moving to campus is now positive.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

and we're remote next spring, who could have seen that coming?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

We got an email Monday night that we’re going remote for 2 weeks on Wednesday so that instructors have enough time to prepare for the transition.

I’m sure the virus will wait.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

going to be doing o chem 1 and calc 2 fully online. so that should be fun

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:getin:

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Having only done chemistry and calculus in the Danish equivalent to high cool, how much is added on at the college level?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'll be redoing calc 2 next semester; the summer excursion into the community college online version crashed and burned when I missed the final grade by about 9% and the instructor dropped the curve because someone got a 100% overall. gently caress a 4 hour long exam with no reference material that was 80% page-long integrals. They were of the same forms that our instructor would have to use symbolab on after failing to solve them during our office hours.

This semester has been fun... anyone have any experience with a professor that hasn't graded anything? Taking (second time since the first didn't transfer) a discrete structures class and we have no midterm, just a quiz and a homework due every Friday since the semester started. I've asked the professor in class about grades and he deflects every time, and doesn't reply to emails about it. We recently got a grader (the department failed to hire them for most classes until now) who just emailed the class saying he's been emailing and messaging the professor for the past week and not gotten anything back as far as rubrics or solutions go, and here I am halfway through the semester with no feedback on whether I'm acing or failing the class and none in sight.

I mentioned it to my advisor but man it's starting to stress me out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

anticipating volume of questions I send your way to increase exponentially

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Just got a Shedule A letter from my school. I understand the words, but is this a significant thing or just a paperwork motion?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Holy crap, I just compared my pre-semester benefits and my current hours remaining because due to COVID I imagine my MS is going to run into next fall and I was worried about eligibility since I only have a couple of months left (I just am enrolled for a single 600 level credit until I finish basically)

A single graduate credit hour only takes 13 days off my eligibility. At this rate, I could stay enrolled for another 2 and a half years. :lol:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I finally framed my diploma. Only took several loving months.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lol how many people are going to get the reference

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

only all the gallant people of afghanistan

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I finally framed my diploma. Only took several loving months.

fuckin love it

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Congrats on your BBA even if you went to some bizarre quarters using university

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
That's amazing.

Congratulations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
thanks all

it's loving weird to finally be finished with that after dropping out and doing army. I started a big person job yesterday and begin wfh Monday morning

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

thanks all

it's loving weird to finally be finished with that after dropping out and doing army. I started a big person job yesterday and begin wfh Monday morning

I started my MBA five years after finishing my bachelor's and i was at the extreme end of retention of a lot of stuff from undergrad, so if you're thinking about doing it sometime in the next few years is best.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The plan is in two to three years after I get a little experience I'll apply to grad school, but I'm not going for an MBA.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
wow what a name for a forum thread

Ok, onto why I am here. Does anyone have experience with getting voc rehab to pay for a tutor? Does it have to be their tutor or can they reimburse you for some people you found on wyzant? And what about reimbursement for things you had to buy on your own, like a laptop needed for school or a textbook rental (because apparently no one buys books at the school bookstore so it wasn't on my voc rehab book list). Thank you.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

TheWeedNumber posted:

wow what a name for a forum thread

Ok, onto why I am here. Does anyone have experience with getting voc rehab to pay for a tutor? Does it have to be their tutor or can they reimburse you for some people you found on wyzant? And what about reimbursement for things you had to buy on your own, like a laptop needed for school or a textbook rental (because apparently no one buys books at the school bookstore so it wasn't on my voc rehab book list). Thank you.

I just graduated using Voc Rehab so here was my experience. I never paid for a tutor, school had them for free or part of the cost whatever. Keep your receipts and ask your counselor if you can get reimbursed. I did get a laptop and a printer for school. In my case I had to fill out a form explaining why I needed it and I got it through the schools computer shop at the union. I didn't have a choice in the laptop, I just specified it needed beefy graphics for gaming Solidworks. :ninja: If you already bought the laptop... I don't know. I did get reimbursed for my home router when it died which was nice. This was last semester and reasoning was I needed internet for online classes.

Big thing is keeping your receipts, I know things changed last year with the switch to eVA, again ask your counselor to explain it. I was able to get my books from the book store on campus for free, just had to sign 4 receipts. Each semester I got $75 for supplies, notebooks, pens, etc... Again for the on campus store. If a class had something specific to buy, ie lab kit or online access to some bullshit, again I just had to fill out a form and scan the receipt / screenshot the purchase confirmation. I imagine it would work the same if you just wanted to rent, but if you want to keep the book maybe consider buying it and getting reimbursed? Hell I used to make money selling my books back to the bookstore.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Iain posted:

I just graduated using Voc Rehab so here was my experience. I never paid for a tutor, school had them for free or part of the cost whatever. Keep your receipts and ask your counselor if you can get reimbursed. I did get a laptop and a printer for school. In my case I had to fill out a form explaining why I needed it and I got it through the schools computer shop at the union. I didn't have a choice in the laptop, I just specified it needed beefy graphics for gaming Solidworks. :ninja: If you already bought the laptop... I don't know. I did get reimbursed for my home router when it died which was nice. This was last semester and reasoning was I needed internet for online classes.

Big thing is keeping your receipts, I know things changed last year with the switch to eVA, again ask your counselor to explain it. I was able to get my books from the book store on campus for free, just had to sign 4 receipts. Each semester I got $75 for supplies, notebooks, pens, etc... Again for the on campus store. If a class had something specific to buy, ie lab kit or online access to some bullshit, again I just had to fill out a form and scan the receipt / screenshot the purchase confirmation. I imagine it would work the same if you just wanted to rent, but if you want to keep the book maybe consider buying it and getting reimbursed? Hell I used to make money selling my books back to the bookstore.

I appreciate the advice. Thankfully the receipts are in my email for the laptop and the book rental. It was a weird situation where I needed the book asap because, although the book is comped, it had to be back ordered. I’ll figure it out with my counselor for sure. Thank you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You should be able to get that laptop reimbursed if you needed it right away for classes, just get on it with your counselor as soon as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

You should be able to get that laptop reimbursed if you needed it right away for classes, just get on it with your counselor as soon as you can.

I should have dropped this paperwork with the counselor during the summer, or the fall. Summer was hectic and I got a little burned out during the fall dealing with code for the first time. That said, I don't recall there being a statute of limitations on this thing right? I'll send it in over this weekend. Right now I need to slam out a backlog of readings. Insomnia blows, but I had it handled until today. I mainlined green tea to keep my energy level up past 4PM and I'm paying for it now.