Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

That tribute is 100% going to try to kill Drummer

I really hope it ends up being one of those situations where the Spy thinks they've turned everyone against Drummer but she's been in full control the whole time. I always love that kind of twist, and Drummer is exactly the kind of character that wouldn't let someone get away with turning her crew on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DaveKap posted:

I may have asked this before but I forget the answer. I would like to ask a book spoiler question and all I want is a yes/sorta/no and please surround it by other words in your spoiler tag so people who don't know won't guess based on the size of the reply.

Last season we had all this alien poo poo happen with little-to-no explanation about it. Specifically, those melting moons that nobody really seemed to care about bothered me the most but I'd also like to know wtf those giant land blenders were supposed to do. What I want to know is... does that poo poo ever get explained in the books? Just a yes/sorta/no will suffice, I don't want any details past that. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that planet is never mentioned again

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DaveKap posted:

I may have asked this before but I forget the answer. I would like to ask a book spoiler question and all I want is a yes/sorta/no and please surround it by other words in your spoiler tag so people who don't know won't guess based on the size of the reply.

Last season we had all this alien poo poo happen with little-to-no explanation about it. Specifically, those melting moons that nobody really seemed to care about bothered me the most but I'd also like to know wtf those giant land blenders were supposed to do. What I want to know is... does that poo poo ever get explained in the books? Just a yes/sorta/no will suffice, I don't want any details past that. Thanks!

Everything on Illus was old machines that had been turned off for a billion years, and malfunctioned hilariously when turned back on. It's almost impossible to tell what they were supposed to do originally (the whole planet was a giant machine). The islands were giant reactors (which promptly exploded when they were turned on), and the "moons" were actually artificial structures that were capable of defending the planet below from assorted threats (we can assume). The moon was melting because it was firing a giant weapon at anything trying to enter the atmosphere and a billion years of dust that gathered over the weapon got in the way and started melting. The moons may also have been what turned off fusion as a fail-safe from the reactors exploding. Book 4 described several other machines that the show didn't include, such as weird mountain sized insectoid automatons that emerged from the ground only to barf up their innards and die, and other poo poo that just did not seem to be functional. The whole point was that this was a very bad thing because none of these systems were working as intended and the Investigator was kind of just turning them all on because it was looking for another AI that could tell it where to find its makers.

That's all Book 4 stuff. Minor spoiler for later books follows (don't click if you don't want to see a single sentence about the next 4 books) Illus is not the only planet with active Builder Tech on it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's no real detail given on the alien tech since it would be technobabble and the books/show try to avoid it. It's technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from magic and randomly messing with it is a bad idea, that's pretty much all you need to know.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope it ends up being one of those situations where the Spy thinks they've turned everyone against Drummer but she's been in full control the whole time. I always love that kind of twist, and Drummer is exactly the kind of character that wouldn't let someone get away with turning her crew on her.

I liked the subtle acting in which you could tell that Marcos was pissed off Drummer had managed to prod Fillip on the intel about Naomi being in lock-up.

You could tell both Marcos and Drummer are sizing each other up trying to stay one step ahead, even though Marcos seems to have more power / clout in the situation due his successful attack on Earth.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DaveKap posted:

Just a yes/sorta/no will suffice, I don't want any details past that. Thanks!

lol nah here's a paragraph of exposition

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Talking and thinking about things like the practicality of FTL travel / how a Macguffin works is the real reason why people are watching this series!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

etalian posted:

Talking and thinking about things like the practicality of FTL travel / how a Macguffin works is the real reason why people are watching this series!

I wonder why the extremely popular and extremely well done sci-fi show is attracting nerds who want to talk about how cool things work, this is very unusual and sci-fi nerds don't usually have conversations about that I think you should investigate more

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Crazycryodude posted:

who want to talk about how cool things work

nanomachines, son

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

I'm pretty sure that planet is never mentioned again

Its mentioned in passing as an offhand comment I think

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Crazycryodude posted:

extremely popular and extremely well done sci-fi show

A take hot enough to melt a moon!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Yes and no is the answer. Books good, read em

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, I don't think the multiple moons around Illus would be considered a stable orbital situation on a billion year timescale. Some magical correction/stabilization must have been at work as well.

It would be nice to have a little bigger nod to what I'm sure would be a massive science and engineering exploration undertaken by the UN at the ring gate, weird thing in the middle of the ring space, and all the Illus system structures. We'd have scientists and engineers crawling all over the ring and structures trying to theorize and figure out how they work.

twistedmentat posted:

Drummer has been duped by underlings before... we had a little mutiny on Tycho where things were looking grim for Drummer. And the followup mutiny on Tycho that took out Fred and stole the protomolecule sample pretty well reinforces that no belter can be trusted right now. I think the setup so far has been great, it is apparent Drummer doesn't completely trust and can't 100% rely on the loyalty of her crew. Holden also on the Rocci right now probably can't completely trust the Belter crew either.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

No reasone one can't be internet horny for both. :)

This thread should be applauded for its sexual equality. Equally horny for Amos AND Drummer is progress.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Balthesar posted:

This thread should be applauded for its sexual equality. Equally horny for Amos AND Drummer is progress.

Some of us are still getting over that Nancy Gao is confirmed dead.

On the plus side, I got Monica Stewart back.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The whole main and most of the supporting cast is worthy of thirstposting.

(Cas Anvar is a gross Sex Pest, and is exempt)

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 9, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That made it fun when this character was just getting trashed on early into the season, including at the bar on Mars and early interactions with Bobbie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a shame because his "Suck on that, muthafuckaaazzz" was the most satisfying "gently caress" since Al Swearengen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Presumably the machines on Ilus were either creating or concentrating lithium, which was why it had such bizarrely large deposits. Beyond that yeah. The island that blew up was a reactor, the moons were defensive satellites. It all malfunctioned because it was billions of years old. There's no big technobabble dump explaining it in detail since they don't really understand it.

The general vibe of the alien stuff is "wow this is advanced, we are bacteria compared to this poo poo". I don't know if the last book is going to explain more but I kinda doubt it. If you're waiting for a big explanation of the aliens I would not do that, they haven't done it in the books either and I don't expect them to.

Could be wrong but at this point Ty and Daniel are the only ones who know.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm increasingly of the opinion that James Corey has no idea either

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

When they call the ring builders "unfathomably" advanced they mean that. Humanity literally cannot understand the details, there's probably never going to be a big reveal it's just monkeys murdering each other in the ruins all the way down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crazycryodude posted:

When they call the ring builders "unfathomably" advanced they mean that. Humanity literally cannot understand the details, there's probably never going to be a big reveal it's just monkeys murdering each other in the ruins all the way down.

Yep. This is also how I expect it to stay.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I figured the whole planet was a forge planet/giant factory, given that the moons didn't seem to function as outward defensive stations (this may contradict the books, I'm just going from what I've seen on the show), but more like safety regulators. In case of a fusion meltdown, stop all fusion so the planet doesn't explode. I assume the lithium was naturally occuring and the whole planet was built around extracting/processing/creating whatever they needed out of it. And yeah protoMiller was just flipping switches on and off and seeing what worked, which given a complex planet-machine, is not the greatest idea for the humans on the planet's surface.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dreylad posted:

I figured the whole planet was a forge planet/giant factory, given that the moons didn't seem to function as outward defensive stations (this may contradict the books, I'm just going from what I've seen on the show), but more like safety regulators. In case of a fusion meltdown, stop all fusion so the planet doesn't explode. I assume the lithium was naturally occuring and the whole planet was built around extracting/processing/creating whatever they needed out of it. And yeah protoMiller was just flipping switches on and off and seeing what worked, which given a complex planet-machine, is not the greatest idea for the humans on the planet's surface.

I always assumed they figured out how to transmute lead to gold lithium and that's why there was so much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lithium is extremely useful, rare, and hard to make, so I figured they needed to convert a whole drat planet into a giant machine to generate it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. This is also how I expect it to stay.

Good. The last thing I wanted to see is the incredibly advanced alien intelligence being reduced to an irate guy with a British accent like so much other genre media

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Grimnarsson posted:

I like how they introduced Filip as an rear end in a top hat but then slowly show glimpses of redeemability. All he needs is some time away from his dad, with his mom and the rest of the Roci crew he'd be fine. I think Amos would agree that it's a good environment for stuff like that.

There are some small signs that he may be figuring out how much his father has been gaslighting him over the years. And it's a considerable threat to Marcos because setting aside the absolutely valid "he would never die for you" point, Fillip is the only option Marcos has to perpetuate his lineage. In other words, Marcos cares only about Marcos, but he knows that when he does die, his importance can continue to be asserted through his son.

But he's also too cowardly to just kill Naomi, and it looks like he couldn't stand to listen in on her conversation with Fillip about the Behemoth. He's too savvy to know that he can't ban his son from talking with her. I expect to see him either trying another angle of approach, or finding an excuse to send Fillip away on some mission.

etalian posted:

I liked the subtle acting in which you could tell that Marcos was pissed off Drummer had managed to prod Fillip on the intel about Naomi being in lock-up.

You could tell both Marcos and Drummer are sizing each other up trying to stay one step ahead, even though Marcos seems to have more power / clout in the situation due his successful attack on Earth.

It is very unclear whether Fillip is a young naive idiot or whether he was taking advantage of that possibility to signal to Drummer that Naomi was on board in a deniable way. I think that look Marcos has at that moment reflects his uncertainty about his son, which is nicely followed up by his confidence that his agent in Drummer's crew can dispose of her before she can be a threat, making the question of whether Fillip was dumb or playing dumb irrelevant.

Actually, if Marcos is genuinely concerned that his son is being deliberately disloyal, he's likely to keep him close instead of sending him away. And there's probably some weird level on which he'd be prouder of his son if he was trying to pull one over on dad than if he was just being stupid. In any event, this is all helping to make up for the ridiculously on-the-nose earlier scenes with this happy little family.

Edit: Forgot to express appreciation for the willingness in the long open to stay on Shohreh Aghdashloo for so long, with no dialogue, as she played that very fraught and emotional moment, and for her performance of it. Not many shows would have been willing to stick for that long, even if the performance was there. That little smile when she realizes that, despite how much she's lost, she's found her way back to the center of power and can again be in a position to protect Earth, instead of frustratingly shut out and ignored, and the way in which you can see her fatigue and pain and loss, even a brief moment of doubt about whether service is worth the price, before armoring up to return to the fray... just great stuff. There's some fantastic acting on this show, and some real confidence in its audience being able to read subtext.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 9, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Lithium is extremely useful, rare, and hard to make, so I figured they needed to convert a whole drat planet into a giant machine to generate it.

It seems to me that a civilization that either discovered or created the protomolecule would have little to no use for lithium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TommyGun85 posted:

It seems to me that a civilization that either discovered or created the protomolecule would have little to no use for lithium.

What if they all have mental illnesses?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

Why would you say that? We have no idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Why not? They still build stuff, they require raw materials. We also know they use fusion reactors, and there are multiple fusion designs that make use of lithium.

It's one of the best choices for a rare material. If you're a spacefaring culture with hundreds of star systems, most raw materials are available in huge quantities. Lithium is pretty rare even on space scales.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It occurs to me that, as far as I can remember, the Inaros faction has been the only one named after its leader.

Black Sky, Golden Bough, Dos Arriagas, Tres Copains; the Tycho and Dawes factions don't really have names outside of just "the OPA". Marco really wants you to remember him specifically.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Not true, Das Arriagas is named after Arriaga and Arriaga II

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I feel like they're mostly called the Free Navy now.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Poor Barriaga really got shafted :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Normy posted:

I feel like they're mostly called the Free Navy now.

It's called the "Free Navy" since they didn't have pay the iron price for any of those Martian ships....

Narsham posted:

It is very unclear whether Fillip is a young naive idiot or whether he was taking advantage of that possibility to signal to Drummer that Naomi was on board in a deniable way. I think that look Marcos has at that moment reflects his uncertainty about his son, which is nicely followed up by his confidence that his agent in Drummer's crew can dispose of her before she can be a threat, making the question of whether Fillip was dumb or playing dumb irrelevant.

Well I like how the progression is believable like how Fillip was a huge jerk in the series essentially raised as fanatically loyal child soldier by his father. But due to talking with Naomi at least seems curious about her past / her pespective and accomplishments like being chief engineer on Behemoth with Drummer. Marcos pushed the view on this son that Naomi left their family for selfish reasons / didn't care when the real reason he she realized she was being manipulated to kill interests just to help his bloodthirsty crusade to strike back at the other factions.

You can tell Marcos was pissed off he Fillip inadvertently disclosed a key piece of intel to Drummer after Fillip showed a big interest in learning from Drummer about her past with Naomi.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 10, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Aw I don't know any of those.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Does Drummers faction have a name other than Drummers Faction?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Drumm Circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

niethan posted:

Does Drummers faction have a name other than Drummers Faction?

The Drummer gently caress Fleet