Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
can you describe a non dry (moist?) involving (working?) mid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Darko recently reviewed the RME ADI-2 FS which is $1000 and one of the best on the market. In order to make sure that the more money = better than universal constant is maintained he compares it to the $1600 Chord Quetest which not only measures worse but has basically no features [the RME has 5 band parametric EQ on each output, a preamp and both balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs] by using an oblique multiple minute metaphor about camera lenses and how one lens has worse optical performance but more "character."

You'd think these guys could occasionally say something that costs more sounds worse just to give themselves the barest smidge of credibility.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That kind of stuff is why I like Dankpods review stuff, and why I think a lot of the hardcore audiophile crowd lowkey hate his reviews (some of the audiophiles on the iPod discord fly into a rage whenever him or his recommendations are brought up). He always brings in the value equation and tends to look for stuff that's cheaper but still really good for the money.

He does have and love the Chord Mojo though so he's not perfect. Even if he does mostly use it these days for blowing up crap headphones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Darko recently reviewed the RME ADI-2 FS which is $1000 and one of the best on the market. In order to make sure that the more money = better than universal constant is maintained he compares it to the $1600 Chord Quetest which not only measures worse but has basically no features [the RME has 5 band parametric EQ on each output, a preamp and both balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs] by using an oblique multiple minute metaphor about camera lenses and how one lens has worse optical performance but more "character."

You'd think these guys could occasionally say something that costs more sounds worse just to give themselves the barest smidge of credibility.

It never ceases to amuse me that Darko’s is like the only hifi channel on Youtube that has its comments disabled

Literally every other audiotuber spends copious time wading in the comments, even the more woo-woo ones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that Darko’s is like the only hifi channel on Youtube that has its comments disabled

Literally every other audiotuber spends copious time wading in the comments, even the more woo-woo ones

You get more engagement metrics and promotion by YouTube if you have active comments.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crime on a Dime posted:

can you describe a non dry (moist?) involving (working?) mid?

feels sounds like "warm apple pie"

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

He recently wrote an article about “ego boners” and did a full podcast about it... with Michael Lavorgna.

The most polite comment I can make is that I can’t think of a pair that would know more about ego than those two.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Speaking of which, there’s a dude on YouTube- Youthman— who built a HT out of La Scalas and like four giant subs stacked on top of each other and it looks like it slaps

IIRC he made a false wall and put 3 La Scalas and two columns of two subs apiece behind an acoustically transparent ~140” screen

I’m not making fun of him, mind you, this is the 100% right kind of audiophile idiocy, the exception that proves the rule

Also I’m p sure it topped out at 5.4 (5.2?)

I think it was 3 LSs and 2 Heresys in the back. And then I think the Heresys were also eventually swapped out for two more La Scalas. La Scalae?

I bought a set of La Scala's recently, and then was giving a set to baby sit.

I've been using all 4 of them as near field monitors and hooked them to the psvr for playing Ace Combat 7 or Polibius.

Let's just say it's insane.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

qirex posted:

Something I gleaned from his review, and his "best of 2020", is that he is trying to convince himself that the other DACs have a special sauce that makes them worth it over the absolute feature monster that is the RME. It just can't be that this $1000 device, made by "pro audio" companies that call it "audibly transparent" and instead focus on stuffing it full of useful poo poo instead of adding coloured balls like the chord, can be truly the best experience as an actual user.

Curiously, in his best of 2020 review he said he would say the ADI-2 was product and DAC of the year but he hadn't published his review yet so it had to go to a bunch of jank. He still needs to fluff the requist audiophile favourites.

The RME is the best at basically everything it does, headphone amp included, as far as you can actually casually ascertain and the hobby begins to feel a bit trite when $1000 buys you completeness.

I also won't start an argument but I'm amazed that $20,000, 60KG speakers that have whole areas of the frequency response that are 10dB+ up and down and have all sorts of crazy resonances and directivity are flying by in the ridicule thread. I know people can like colour, even though Floyd Toole has definitely shown that people prefer true accuracy by and large, but you can use an EQ on an accurate setup for a fragment of the price.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
ADI-2 is a fantastic DAC. Don't know what they changed in the FS if anything, but the older version is absolutely great. Couldn't imagine ever needing anything else. I use an OPPO HA-1 in my primary setup just because of laziness but probably I should switch over because I hate that it doesn't auto mute the line outs when I plug headphones in.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Darko is a typical money man audiophile. gently caress him. The RME is good since it is supposed to be used for pro-audio applications, there is no foo foo bs audiophile poo poo in it. Just excellent performance and features that work.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015
Not sure if anyone posted this, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfCySfhTKU

I'm pretty sure that's proof of Poe's Law, in that I'm not sure if he's parodying batshit insane audiophiles or actually serious.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

binaryhermit posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfCySfhTKU

I'm pretty sure that's proof of Poe's Law, in that I'm not sure if he's parodying batshit insane audiophiles or actually serious.

I watched two of this dude's videos. I have no idea if he's for real or not.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I watched two of this dude's videos. I have no idea if he's for real or not.

His videos link to a random "Genius Directory" https://psiq.org/world_genius_directory_geniuses/geniuses.htm

If you search for "audiophile" you see him at 168. He has a recent video about his IQ increasing by 3 points due to a change in norms.

I think he is serious

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

His videos link to a random "Genius Directory" https://psiq.org/world_genius_directory_geniuses/geniuses.htm

If you search for "audiophile" you see him at 168. He has a recent video about his IQ increasing by 3 points due to a change in norms.

I think he is serious

poor guy

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Proof that healing crystals improve IQ!

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole any deeper because it is a bit sad but his YouTube channel is just a fascinating example of correlation/confirmation/bias in every manner of subjects, he has "founded his own religion" based on having eargasms (sic) to enhance your connection to the universe; taking audiophillia to a slightly erotic, religious angle not featured in the thread before.

He also seems to be getting grifted by a dodgy, pay by mail, IQ test company with a fake genius list.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The best way to troll "high iq" people is to post a comment that your score is 2-5 points higher. [Also if you get a legit test it has a range and confidence metric not a single score and you should say which one you took because people score differently on the 3 main ones and now I'm remembering how much I didn't enjoy my developmental psych classes]

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

The best way to troll "high iq" people is to post a comment that your score is 2-5 points higher. [Also if you get a legit test it has a range and confidence metric not a single score and you should say which one you took because people score differently on the 3 main ones and now I'm remembering how much I didn't enjoy my developmental psych classes]

As someone who doesn't think IQ means poo poo, I wish I had access to whatever Mensa paperwork I had from when I was a kid that has a score that beats most of their brags. But jokes on me, now I'm older I'm a dumbass loser idiot. Even the kids meetups were kinda weird and I felt totally out of place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

As someone who doesn't think IQ means poo poo, I wish I had access to whatever Mensa paperwork I had from when I was a kid that has a score that beats most of their brags. But jokes on me, now I'm older I'm a dumbass loser idiot. Even the kids meetups were kinda weird and I felt totally out of place.

I scored 4 points higher than you

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

I scored 4 points higher than you

Alas this has caused a buffer overrun, and you are now stuck at -1. This still puts you higher than people who care about IQ tests, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Alas this has caused a buffer overrun, and you are now stuck at -1. This still puts you higher than people who care about IQ tests, though.
If it was a legit test and you actually scored that high they would have had you do the other two, probably multiple times over the years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

If it was a legit test and you actually scored that high they would have had you do the other two, probably multiple times over the years.

This is true and it's even worse when your mother studied childhood development in college. :sigh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did 2 in total, no idea about a third - I was young and totally not my decision. Maybe works differently in the UK with regards to testing? Not sure tbh. I had scholarships to 2 schools around that age so it probably counted for something and was worthwhile at the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If it's any consolation administering the test is super annoying as well.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Uh, I'm sure you guys have discussed power cords already but this earnest article reads like parody.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

The author was one of the guys who helped develop PCR fitting into the guys who are smart about their own area but hella dumb about other areas archetype.

Also in dumb audiophile news, I preordered the Kef LS50 Meta to replace my Kef Q350 that I use as nearfield speakers in my office.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 8, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I stopped paying close attention to TAS after they got rid of my ability to troll the authors in the comments. They're pretty much the worst of the "respectable" outlets but great for laughs, like the same guy discussing how he "upgraded" his home music streaming setup with a bunch of commercial grade fiber networking gear because his ring doorbell used up too much wifi bandwidth. As much at that guy knows about genetic biology I don't think he actually knows any facts about audio or power supplies.

Yuns posted:

Also in dumb audiophile news, I preordered the Kef LS50 Meta to replace my Kef Q350 that I use as nearfield speakers in my office.
What color? I keep thinking about having a "fuckit" moment and ordering the LS50 wireless II just because.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

qirex posted:

I stopped paying close attention to TAS after they got rid of my ability to troll the authors in the comments. They're pretty much the worst of the "respectable" outlets but great for laughs, like the same guy discussing how he "upgraded" his home music streaming setup with a bunch of commercial grade fiber networking gear because his ring doorbell used up too much wifi bandwidth.

What color? I keep thinking about having a "fuckit" moment and ordering the LS50 wireless II just because.
Got the blue color. It doesn't match anything else in the room or system but I love that subdued blue color.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The LS50 Meta is legitimately cool. Like “here’s an actual scientific advance in audio reproduction” type cool.

Plus they look cool, don’t cost too much, and look cool.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheMadMilkman posted:

The LS50 Meta is legitimately cool. Like “here’s an actual scientific advance in audio reproduction” type cool.

Plus they look cool, don’t cost too much, and look cool.

Wrong thread. This is an overpriced 5" speaker for loving 1500 Dollars. It's not an actual scientific device at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

Wrong thread. This is an overpriced 5" speaker for loving 1500 Dollars. It's not an actual scientific device at all.

they said “advance” not “device”

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

they said “advance” not “device”

Well it ain't that either.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

redeyes posted:

Well it ain't that either.

The application of metamaterials concepts to make a high performance absorber seems like an advance

https://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20210109/20758.pdf

I'm sure the speakers are overpriced but you seem to be overreacting.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

What, pray tell, would you call the development of a meta material to almost fully absorb the back wave off of the tweeter, resulting in lower distortion from 600 hertz to 20,000 hertz, other than a scientific advance in audio reproduction?

Please be specific.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Can you hear it under normal conditions and is it an objective improvement?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Can you hear it under normal conditions and is it an objective improvement?

Yes and yes.

A fivefold improvement in the midrange is not to be sniffed at, but the real benefit is in linear response through the upper frequencies. Especially when driven hard, that will be very noticeable.

They also handily provide the schematic and the equations used for derivation for their lumped element model if you’d like to very it for yourself in COMSOL or similar.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Posting here to get ridiculed... I had my new Kanto YU2 speakers out and before I could set them up my son pushed in the domes of the drivers. In a panic I googled how to fix it and tried a q-tip/super glue trick that didn't work. The toilet paper roll trick did work (suck through the cardboard tube and it'll pop out). But now I have glue residue with some white from the qtip on on the domes. Yes... I am an idiot.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I feel like acetone may eat the driver or unglue something important. My other consideration is using something to make it darker so its less visible (like a black marker) but I'm looking for suggestions before I make it worse.

They are definitely the best computer speakers I've ever tried.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 14, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

When my kids were small they poured old milk from the trash into my good shoes so I'm sympathetic.

Also my LS50 Meta should be here tomorrow so I can give my qualitative judgment on them soon.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

acetone on a q-tip is your best bet. try using masking tape to cover areas you don't want acetone on (you could have also used masking tape to pull the dome out lol). use acetone very sparingly by dabbing the glue a little bit at a time, letting it dissolve, then dabbing it away with a clean q-tip. go slow and it should be fine.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

polyester concept posted:

acetone on a q-tip is your best bet. try using masking tape to cover areas you don't want acetone on (you could have also used masking tape to pull the dome out lol). use acetone very sparingly by dabbing the glue a little bit at a time, letting it dissolve, then dabbing it away with a clean q-tip. go slow and it should be fine.

I'll give that a try this weekend.

As for my son, I couldn't get mad at him, he's cooped up in here just like we are and I know for a fact I did the same thing to my dad's hi-fi speakers back in the 80s. I'm sure he got to use them before I did that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please be careful the acetone could EASILY dissolve the plastic domes.

Next time, hot glue on "low" pops off easily for temp bonds.