Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Didn't really want to bump the poor dead thread for the completed series but... re-watching Agents of SHIELD again and god drat did they get so many things right with that series. I hope that we eventually get to see it acknowledged within the extended continuity, at least as a splintered reality stream that 'occurred' within the context of the MCU as a whole once it goes multiversal. Even if just acknowledging that SHIELD still exists to defend Earth as Fury and SWORD or whatever go on their merry way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Apoplexy posted:

Didn't really want to bump the poor dead thread for the completed series but... re-watching Agents of SHIELD again and god drat did they get so many things right with that series. I hope that we eventually get to see it acknowledged within the extended continuity, at least as a splintered reality stream that 'occurred' within the context of the MCU as a whole once it goes multiversal. Even if just acknowledging that SHIELD still exists to defend Earth as Fury and SWORD or whatever go on their merry way.

I was always hoping they'd at least get to show Phil meet up with his Avenger friends again. :smith:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I re-watched it recently and the first season holds up even better than I remembered, I would actually say that I like it better than season four.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know it's mostly because of Covid but I appreciate how the AoS cast still actively engages with the fans, primarily thanks to the efforts of Elizabeth Henstridge, bless her soul, who's just been hosting live rewatches of the show on her Youtube channel. She invites people key to the current episodes then spends an extra 20 minutes letting fans into the Zoom call to interact with them. Was real surprised that she most recently got Jaimie Alexander to livewatch the Sif ep with her.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
AoS definitely had some bullshit season plots, but it's one of the few shows where I kept watching because I cared about the characters even if the plot was silly. Eventually they just went ham on everything though, so the goofiness was a lot more tongue in cheek.

I still say Iain de Caestecker was the standout actor of that show. Dude was amazing at conveying emotion, and I hope he gets a lot of big roles now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I should give AoS another go at some point. The last thing I saw was Simmons getting sucked into a rock, and that was it for that season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

I should give AoS another go at some point. The last thing I saw was Simmons getting sucked into a rock, and that was it for that season.

You really should keep going, that whole storyline is great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

You really should keep going, that whole storyline is great.

All of the "FitzSimmons will tear apart reality atom by atom to get their happy ending" plots are great.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Oasx posted:

I re-watched it recently and the first season holds up even better than I remembered, I would actually say that I like it better than season four.

Noooooo WAY. I'm re-watching S4 now and it, flatly, has the best pacing (at least when binged, but I don't recall thinking ANY differently when seeing it live... 4 years ago. God drat) this show ever did. I'm just up to Robbie busting out of the containment module and beating the gently caress out of Mace in episode 6. It's surprising how well they were able to convey the sense that Mace was slimy and untrustworthy in a managerial way, and worthy of suspicion early on and all, but allowing for him to be entirely sincere once the whole story was told. A good guy and a hero in his own respect, as much as anyone could be without the privilege of powers in that universe.

A team that trusts one another triumphs together. :)

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 31, 2020

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

That was the end of S2. They resolve that really quickly in S3 while allowing for the full story of her experience to be told and have an impact throughout.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Apoplexy posted:

Noooooo WAY. I'm re-watching S4 now and it, flatly, has the best pacing (at least when binged, but I don't recall thinking ANY differently when seeing it live... 4 years ago. God drat) this show ever did. I'm just up to Robbie busting out of the containment module and beating the gently caress out of Mace in episode 6.

In terms of production season 4 is probably the show at its best, and I know that it's a fan favourite, the pacing just feels way off. Ghost Rider is great, but he is also so powerful that the villains stands zero chance against him. The LMD arc is again well done. but just a little frustrating to watch, and in general I don't like the whole framework thing.

Apoplexy posted:

It's surprising how well they were able to convey the sense that Mace was slimy and untrustworthy in a managerial way, and worthy of suspicion early on and all, but allowing for him to be entirely sincere once the whole story was told. A good guy and a hero in his own respect, as much as anyone could be without the privilege of powers in that universe.

I found that really frustrating since nothing we see from Mace indicates that he is a bad guy. They make it clear several times that Coulson chose not to continue as director, yet he and the others keep pretending like Mace is somehow the villain. It's one of the few times where the main characters have outright acted like villains.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yet another trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLf7hB-zSqI

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm trying to imagine what that trailer must be like for someone who's never seen a Marvel movie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I realize they want to keep building hype, but I wish they'd stop releasing trailers at this point, because they're all pretty much identical. There's a few seconds of new footage here or there, but all of it is of a similar look and despite them releasing a new trailer what feels like every other day at this point, I don't feel like I've seen anything new in months. If they want to do something to keep up hype you'd imagine they'd release the credits, or the first few minutes of episode one or something. Just to be putting out something that's different.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tsob posted:

I realize they want to keep building hype, but I wish they'd stop releasing trailers at this point, because they're all pretty much identical. There's a few seconds of new footage here or there, but all of it is of a similar look and despite them releasing a new trailer what feels like every other day at this point, I don't feel like I've seen anything new in months. If they want to do something to keep up hype you'd imagine they'd release the credits, or the first few minutes of episode one or something. Just to be putting out something that's different.

Marvel: Releases new Wandavision trailer.
Wanda: We ARE an UnuSuAL CouPle.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Legends shows featuring Wanda and Vision are out now. They are indeed 7 minute long youtube clip compilations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I just want them to explain Wanda’s accent. Did she watch too many sitcoms and magic it away?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Andrew_1985 posted:

I just want them to explain Wanda’s accent. Did she watch too many sitcoms and magic it away?

I think it's safe to say that whatever is causing the reality around Wanda is also making her into a specific character. Her accent will probably change with each Sitcom Era.

I was talking with a coworker about the Ms Marvel series and I really hope a part of it is showing how regular people view the heroes, what impact they have had on pop culture and such. We see a bit in Spider-Man with the Cap educational videos, but I'd love to see some very meta stuff like Halloween costumes of the Hulk that consist of a mask and a plastic smock with the Hulk going "Hulk Smash!" on it. Like Kamala's crappy costume's helmet looks like something you could buy; Real Captain Marvel Helmet, Crest Really Glows!

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 9, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's safe to say that whatever is causing the reality around Wanda is also making her into a specific character. Her accent will probably change with each Sitcom Era.

A simpler explanation is that she wants to fit in, and has concsioucly chosen to lose the accent to do so. The fact she [trailer spoilers]magics Vision in to a normal human man, magics up rings etc. to fit in just supports the fact she's changing herself to blend in to the new environment she's found herself in. Also, going off the comics, there's a reasonably good chance Wanda herself is the one causing reality to warp around her, even if she doesn't recognize it yet. The fact she doesn't find Vision being alive weird going by the trailers already means she's ignoring reality to accommodate her own wishes. Which, frankly, is the more interesting direction to go in anyway; rather than having it be an external villain messing with her in some fashion. It's also kind of hard to imagine how giving Wanda a superficially perfect life that spans through several eras helps anyone's goals but her own, too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 9, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing the way they bring Kathryn Hahn in is Agatha was called in because she's a witch, figured 'oh, i'll pop in and fix this no pro- oh gently caress this girl's got way more juice than i thought oops now i'm part of the sitcom world'

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

I was talking with a coworker about the Ms Marvel series and I really hope a part of it is showing how regular people view the heroes, what impact they have had on pop culture and such. We see a bit in Spider-Man with the Cap educational videos, but I'd love to see some very meta stuff like Halloween costumes of the Hulk that consist of a mask and a plastic smock with the Hulk going "Hulk Smash!" on it. Like Kamala's crappy costume's helmet looks like something you could buy; Real Captain Marvel Helmet, Crest Really Glows!

There was that bit in Homecoming where the ATM robbers were wearing plastic Avengers Halloween masks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Looks like critics got to see the first three episodes of WandaVision this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1347951511477907459

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The social media impressions for WandaVision are mostly positive, but my main takeaway from them is that at least the first three episodes (which are the only ones made available to critics) mostly stick to the sitcom-pastiche format, and that it’s a slow burn with respect to the broader plot that establishes how exactly this alternate reality came to be and can exist in the post-Endgame MCU.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing if it’s executed well, it’s certainly an interesting creative choice, but it’s probably not what many of the fans who have been waiting for new MCU content for a year and a half were hoping for or expecting, so I wonder if there’ll be some backlash.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

The social media impressions for WandaVision are mostly positive, but my main takeaway from them is that at least the first three episodes (which are the only ones made available to critics) mostly stick to the sitcom-pastiche format, and that it’s a slow burn with respect to the broader plot that establishes how exactly this alternate reality came to be and can exist in the post-Endgame MCU.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing if it’s executed well, it’s certainly an interesting creative choice, but it’s probably not what many of the fans who have been waiting for new MCU content for a year and a half were hoping for or expecting, so I wonder if there’ll be some backlash.

I think you may be right. Having to delay FaWS might bite them in this regard because FaWS looks like the show that would establish the new status quo of the MCU post Endgame along with Far From Home.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I think you may be right. Having to delay FaWS might bite them in this regard because FaWS looks like the show that would establish the new status quo of the MCU post Endgame along with Far From Home.

it would be less of a risk if they were adopting the Netflix binge model, or at least releasing more than one episode a week following the two-episode premiere. but at the end of the day, I’d rather Marvel Studios take advantage of the new format to make big creative swings than just make six-hour, moderately lower-budget versions of their films. I just wonder how folks will take it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

I really just want Hulk Hands to be canon.

Technically we already saw the kind of thing you're talking about many films ago; there was the fan theory that the little kid in the Iron Man mask in Iron Man 2 was Peter Parker, and they recently confirmed it (and/or retconned it because of the theory).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It also sounded like the episodes are shorter, but no exact run time was given that I’ve seen yet. Maybe they are sticking with an actual 23-24 minute sitcom length? I understand the pastiche hook, but that would kind of suck if all nine(?) episodes are like that. Hopefully they push closer to 30 minutes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Teek posted:

It also sounded like the episodes are shorter, but no exact run time was given that I’ve seen yet. Maybe they are sticking with an actual 23-24 minute sitcom length? I understand the pastiche hook, but that would kind of suck if all nine(?) episodes are like that. Hopefully they push closer to 30 minutes.

The reason I heard for the last minute announcement of 9 episodes as opposed to 8 was that the first two episodes will be released at the same time and they're less than 30 minutes like the old sitcoms they're aping. I assume the rest will be 40 - 60 minutes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

I really just want Hulk Hands to be canon.

There was a time when Deadpool and Hawkeye teamed up and Deadpool invented a trick arrow that was just Hulk Hands filled with explosives at the end of an arrow. I want that to show up in the Hawkeye Disney+ series.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teek posted:

the first three episodes (the ones provided to critics) are confirmed to be 30 minutes each. the popular speculation is that they'll get longer as the series progresses and more of the story takes place in the MCU proper rather than the illusory sitcom alternate reality, which certainly makes sense to me, but we'll have to see.

Disney+, if they wanted to, could easily provide the episode runtimes for the whole season in advance without spoiling anything, but they didn't do that for The Mandalorian (iirc, they didn't provide screeners of either season to critics, so nobody knew how short many of the episodes would be until they premiered) and aren't doing that here.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

as for the question of how many episodes will mostly adhere to the sitcom-pastiche format, my total speculation is that it's the first five, since I think* that's the number of distinct sitcom eras we've seen in the marketing ('50s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 00s) and that the plot will shift gears significantly after that and episode length will get longer

*I realized while posting this that there might actually be two distinct black-and-white eras, so idk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gavok posted:

There was a time when Deadpool and Hawkeye teamed up and Deadpool invented a trick arrow that was just Hulk Hands filled with explosives at the end of an arrow. I want that to show up in the Hawkeye Disney+ series.

You were thinking of the exact same thing as I was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

as for the question of how many episodes will mostly adhere to the sitcom-pastiche format, my total speculation is that it's the first five, since I think* that's the number of distinct sitcom eras we've seen in the marketing ('50s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 00s) and that the plot will shift gears significantly after that and episode length will get longer

*I realized while posting this that there might actually be two distinct black-and-white eras, so idk

There's only 6 episodes, so I'd assume they skip through them faster than that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

There's only 6 episodes, so I'd assume they skip through them faster than that.

Internet says it's gonna be 9 episodes.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/first-season-of-marvels-wandavision-expanded-to-9-episodes-on-disney

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, that's news then. So it'll finish, and then Falcon & Winter Solder starts the very next week.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, that's news then. So it'll finish, and then Falcon & Winter Solder starts the very next week.

I think a two-episode premiere is confirmed, so there's a week in between, which they'll probably fill in with another pair of those Marvel Studios Legends clip things

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Barry Convex posted:

I think a two-episode premiere is confirmed, so there's a week in between, which they'll probably fill in with another pair of those Marvel Studios Legends clip things

Marvel's 616 was a pretty bizarre series. I get that they were showing diverse stories in the history of Marvel, but starting out with an hour about Japanese Spider-Man was a bonkers direction.

Paul Scheer's episode on deep diving to make obscure Marvel properties marketable should be its own entire series though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It could have been worse, they could have deep dived on Italian Spider-Man.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Marvel's 616 was a pretty bizarre series. I get that they were showing diverse stories in the history of Marvel, but starting out with an hour about Japanese Spider-Man was a bonkers direction.

Paul Scheer's episode on deep diving to make obscure Marvel properties marketable should be its own entire series though.

Not a Marvel Studios series, though I should watch it just for the Scheer episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked the Alison Brie episode, although it's a fairly simple 'troubled kids get inspired by comics and theatre' narrative.