Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Gossip Girl just showed up on HBO Max and, well, I have no shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah Dark rules and I found the ending satisfying.

It's a show that really demands your attention in a way most TV doesn't, so if you watch it, you have to pay close attention to who everyone is and what their relationships to each other are.
:same:

Mr. Robot also stuck the landing, though I don't know if it would be considered sci-fi so much as high-tech psychological drama.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I thought 12 Monkeys wrapped up perfectly over 4 seasons, the last 2 especially just felt consistently strong throughout. It had just the right amount of expanding lore and plot threads that tied together in the end, without being overdone or seting up too many ideas ideas that could never come together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Six feet under had a good ending.

I've still never seen this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife loves dance, so we just finished the campy, trashy new Netflix drama Tiny Pretty Things, about a prestigious ballet school. There's plenty of sweaty sex, sordid secrets, lurid lies, a creepy nightmare sequence in each episode (there are ten in all), and even a murder investigation, led by the most unqualified cop ever. At least the dancing is impressive, and I say this as someone who has never had any interest in ballet. But the show is essentially Ballet Riverdale. So... Riverdance? Anyway, she loved it, but not being the target audience, I found it exhausting.

Toast King posted:

I thought 12 Monkeys wrapped up perfectly over 4 seasons, the last 2 especially just felt consistently strong throughout. It had just the right amount of expanding lore and plot threads that tied together in the end, without being overdone or seting up too many ideas ideas that could never come together.

We binged 12 Monkeys last year and loved it. One of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, and definitely the best time travel show ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 9, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We binged 12 Monkeys last year and loved it. One of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, and definitely the best time travel show ever.

Watching it really is the time of your life

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

Watching it really is the time of your life

there it is

I was waiting

I agree

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

isaboo posted:

there it is

I was waiting

I agree

it's my thing and i'm not quitting any time soon

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
The series finale of Travelers is its most highly-rated episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GeneralZod posted:

The series finale of Travelers is its most highly-rated episode.

That was truly a fantastic way to wrap up the entire show and not leave any existing plots hanging as well as leave the universe open for a follow up show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

I quit after 5 or 6 episodes. The lead is terrible and the show is so very bad and boring.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've still never seen this.
I rewatched it recently (S1-4 rewatch, S5 first time) and commented on it in this thread. There's a period in the middle where I grew to dislike everyone on the show but it recovers and it does deliver a real emotional punch with it's ending.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
12 Monkeys was great. Also binged it earlier this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

clown shoes posted:

I quit after 5 or 6 episodes. The lead is terrible and the show is so very bad and boring.

Life is way too short to suffer through things you don't enjoy, but if it makes you feel any better, the show picks up and changes a lot after the pandemic-focused first season.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

clown shoes posted:

Me experience too. But I love time travel shenanigans and people says it gets better later so I might try again when I'm out of things to watch

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I rewatched it recently (S1-4 rewatch, S5 first time) and commented on it in this thread. There's a period in the middle where I grew to dislike everyone on the show but it recovers and it does deliver a real emotional punch with it's ending.

Claire, who was my favorite character for most of the show, becomes unbearable in the later part of the series, but she does come back down to Earth and become tolerable again towards the end.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

clown shoes posted:

I can totally see this, but for me it got a lot better towards the end. I wasn't in a hurry to continue on to Season 2 though but will definitely continue the show.

I think someone else mentioned it here how it really seemed like their first choice for the main was Aaron Paul

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Constellation I posted:

I can totally see this, but for me it got a lot better towards the end. I wasn't in a hurry to continue on to Season 2 though but will definitely continue the show.

I think someone else mentioned it here how it really seemed like their first choice for the main was Aaron Paul

I've said this before, possibly in this thread, but I'm done with shows that "get good in season #." There is just too much television to waste time on inferior shows that don't have their poo poo together. Any show left to its own devices will ultimately improve given enough time but if it's a slog to get there it's just not worth it. There's an abundance great media that comes out the gate strong. It's like the inverse of quitting watching a once great show that got bad after so many seasons.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

clown shoes posted:

I've said this before, possibly in this thread, but I'm done with shows that "get good in season #." There is just too much television to waste time on inferior shows that don't have their poo poo together. Any show left to its own devices will ultimately improve given enough time but if it's a slog to get there it's just not worth it. There's an abundance great media that comes out the gate strong. It's like the inverse of quitting watching a once great show that got bad after so many seasons.

I agree, but sometimes people just misjudge the quality of what they're watching. Some shows are already pretty solid/good, but they hit another level later on but people go "Oh it really becomes good
in season #!" it was already good, they just hit something later on. (I think this happens more with comedies).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished The Naked Director, not bad at all, it goes from being funny to sadness to loving dark and return to comedy in a heartbeat, looking forward to the second season. Also, as you might expect from its premise, it has a ton of explicit sex scenes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We've been watching Good Girls, and it's okay but not amazing. The lead actors are great, and in particular it's nice to see Mae Whitman really show off her chops after mostly being in the background for her most well-known role (her?). The story is pretty much exactly "Breaking Bad but housewives", though, to the extent that I think you could almost make a one-to-one mapping of season 1 episodes of Good Girls to season 1/2 episodes of Breaking Bad. More irritating to me, however, is that so many plot lines are driven by the leads doing something incredibly stupid with little or no justification, and then learning nothing whatsoever from those mistakes. I feel like the characters deserve better than that, and it's frustrating.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

I totally get that, but I felt like it actually got good right around where you said you stopped, rather than in later seasons. There's an episode midway through season 1 (maybe after the Spearhead mini-arc?) that I remember really catching my attention and hooking me, where I had been sort of meh about it up until that point.

Though even in the show's weaker moments, Jennifer is always really fun throughout. Emily Hampshire is an absolute joy to watch.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I totally get that, but I felt like it actually got good right around where you said you stopped, rather than in later seasons. There's an episode midway through season 1 (maybe after the Spearhead mini-arc?) that I remember really catching my attention and hooking me, where I had been sort of meh about it up until that point.

Though even in the show's weaker moments, Jennifer is always really fun throughout. Emily Hampshire is an absolute joy to watch.

Emily Hampshire was barely in the episodes I watched.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night we binged the entire new Netflix show Pretend It's a City, all about the writer/raconteur/humorist/occasional actress Fran Lebowitz, the consummate curmudgeonly New Yorker. Martin Scorsese filmed Fran at Q&A events with fans and just hanging out, shooting the poo poo, talking about her fascinating life and mostly about New York City. I was only vaguely familiar with Fran Lebowitz, but she was so witty and engaging. It was really entertaining watching Marty cracking up and clearly just happy to be interviewing and exploring New York with his friend.

clown shoes posted:

Emily Hampshire was barely in the episodes I watched.

Yeah, unfortunately the two best characters (Emily Hampshire/Jennifer and another character you might not have even met yet, or possibly just once) don't become series regulars until Season 2, and then they become the two BEST characters.

And my absolute favorite episode is in Season 4, but other people will probably have their own favorites, for any number of reasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yeah, unfortunately the two best characters (Emily Hampshire/Jennifer and another character you might not have even met yet, or possibly just once) don't become series regulars until Season 2, and then they become the two BEST characters.
Are you referring to Deacon? He's in season 1 but yeah, he gets so much better.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Last night we binged the entire new Netflix show Pretend It's a City, all about the writer/raconteur/humorist/occasional actress Fran Lebowitz, the consummate curmudgeonly New Yorker. Martin Scorsese filmed Fran at Q&A events with fans and just hanging out, shooting the poo poo, talking about her fascinating life and mostly about New York City. I was only vaguely familiar with Fran Lebowitz, but she was so witty and engaging. It was really entertaining watching Marty cracking up and clearly just happy to be interviewing and exploring New York with his friend.

This sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the rec

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you've been binging any 2020 shows, don't forget to come by the Annual TVIV Poll thread to cast a vote for your favourite shows of the year.

Thread can be found here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

:siren:Deadline is 12:01AM Monday 18th PST:siren:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Has anyone watched The Lost Room? It showed up in my Prime recommendations and I clicked.

It is a show in which Nate from 6feet under discovers a magic key that unlocks doors and makes them all lead into a magic room. Then his daughter, Catherine the Great, gets cancelled by the magic room so he teams up with The Good Wife to go find her by searching for magic objects that so far include a pen that burns flesh, a comb that stops time, a letter opener that puts people to sleep and a clock that... I'm not sure what the clock does yet. I'm only 2 or 3 episodes in but I'm along for the ride, it's been a fast-paced and entertaining show so far.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cactus posted:

Has anyone watched The Lost Room? It showed up in my Prime recommendations and I clicked.

It is a show in which Nate from 6feet under discovers a magic key that unlocks doors and makes them all lead into a magic room. Then his daughter, Catherine the Great, gets cancelled by the magic room so he teams up with The Good Wife to go find her by searching for magic objects that so far include a pen that burns flesh, a comb that stops time, a letter opener that puts people to sleep and a clock that... I'm not sure what the clock does yet. I'm only 2 or 3 episodes in but I'm along for the ride, it's been a fast-paced and entertaining show so far.

The Lost Room was great, and its a shame it never became a full series. I'm also pretty sure it was one of the sources of inspiration for Control.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sorry. I used that magic key and I ended up in LA working at a funeral home.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It's got so many faces from other shows that came after it, this must be like what watching the wire for the first time now must be like, in that respect. (Its not as good as the wire, obviously, but that isn't a mark against anything)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Lost Room was great, and its a shame it never became a full series. I'm also pretty sure it was one of the sources of inspiration for Control.

Speaking of Remedy IPs, I really wish Quantum Break got a full TV spinoff. Only having 4 episodes left me wanting more. It also left off at the perfect spot for an extended series to pick up with Lance Reddick as the villain, and the potential rescue of Beth and possibly even Liam if you made the right choices.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We recently finished Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's a show I really like but it probably didn't need this last season. I don't regret watching it but it just felt so ungrounded that by the end I couldn't really give a crap. The finale was disappointing. The one kind of meta episode where one of the Sabrina clones ends up in a reality where she's an actress on a version of the Sabrina sitcom from the '90's was pretty fun. The structure of the season fighting off one Eldrich terror after another felt a little uninspired but the actual conceptualization of the baddies was pretty creative.

I think I'm getting more critical of these types of series, and I'm having a hard time watching once they've gotten past their first season or two and have to enbiggen the world or invent new challenges. Definitely how I felt with iZombie, and I'm kind of there with Orphan Black although I'm still slowing getting through that one. A big part of the appeal of these shows is when it's kind of a smaller personal story but they don't always work for me when they shift frame dramatically or introduce some whole new secret organization or whatever.

We're also watching a normie family drama/comedy from Australia called Offspring on Netflix, I'm sure suggested for us because we keep watching Aus/NZ shows. Probably wouldn't be watching this if it were a US show but it's somehow it's more fun when it's comes with funny accents. In the lighter episodes it's got some flavor of Arrested Development (quirky dysfunctional family with adult children) and Scrubs (medical show with fantasy interludes), but it does get pretty serious and heart wrenching at times especially towards S4 and S5.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I just binged through all of Lucifer in like 5 days.

Based on the summary, I was expecting a pretty dumb FOX police procedural that was going to gently push their viewers buttons. Instead, I got a tonally bizarre, really engrossing show about therapy and self-redemption, with multiple romances I somehow got invested in. That never happens for me, and I realized this was my show the first time I audibly said "whaaat the gently caress dude just loving go after her jesus you are so dumb" at my TV.

It's not perfect, especially before the Netflix switch. Lots of filler to pad out 22+ episodes, some questionable script choices, and I honestly think lucifer's devil face looks dumb as hell. But nearly everything else is so spot on for me. Especially the therapy sessions. Not used to seeing a TV therapist actually take a real-life tack there and let the characters guide themselves to conclusions.

And now I can't wait for 5b and 6, really curious to see how they wrap this show up.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We recently finished Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's a show I really like but it probably didn't need this last season. I don't regret watching it but it just felt so ungrounded that by the end I couldn't really give a crap. The finale was disappointing. The one kind of meta episode where one of the Sabrina clones ends up in a reality where she's an actress on a version of the Sabrina sitcom from the '90's was pretty fun. The structure of the season fighting off one Eldrich terror after another felt a little uninspired but the actual conceptualization of the baddies was pretty creative.

I felt the same way, which was sort of a bummer. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, got a little iffier on 3, and just wasn't that into 4. I felt like they really dropped the ball with their depiction of Eldritch terrors though. Which, admittedly, is super common since how do you portray something like that? I mainly wanted way more terrifying tentacle tooth eye monsters :(

I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, I want to be disappointed in how it turned out. On the other, I sympathize with the cast and crew immensely for the COVID stuff they had to go through, and I'm certain that had a big impact on the show. Lots of ideas they would've had to drop, greatly increased costs (it's at least 10% of the total budget), and having to deal with constant shutdowns due to infections. Doesn't take all the blame, but certainly messed things up a bit.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I haven't watched Sabrina s4 yet but remember there being a pretty jarring drop in the quality of writing between s2 and s3, it went from something I eagerly anticipated to Charmed-levels of frustration and disgust with the way characters were talking and behaving at times. Seems a shame given the solid cast and fun setting and aesthetic.

Re eldritch horrors, we just finished Lovecraft Country and that was an awesome ride. Not a ton of lovecraftian monsters exactly, but some well-used effects in equal measure to the horrors of being black in 50's America. The skin-changing/metamorphosis scenes, holy gently caress. It has an SA thread.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 13, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fringe and Person of Interest ended well enough and it wouldn't surprise me if The Expanse does too.

I thought that Fringe definitely stuck the landing. I know that some people weren't super happy about the small episode count of the last season and that the Observer storyline wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been. But I was pretty happy about how everything wrapped up. And I like that they shifted to a fully serialized style for that last season. Made it feel a little more personal.

I just finished a couple of weeks ago. Also finally finished Boardwalk Empire which is also a great show.

Now I'm going to burn through Lovecraft Country quickly.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just finished Breaking Bad for the third time. Still a compelling watch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The wife and I just finished up Schitts Creek last night, and I have that sort of sad "now what?" feeling.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The wife and I just finished up Schitts Creek last night, and I have that sort of sad "now what?" feeling.

Now Ted Lasso and The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Now Ted Lasso and The Good Place.

I've watched the Good Place all the way through twice. It's my all time favorite show.

We're thinking of starting Fargo S4, Queen's Gambit, or The History of Swear Words on Netflix.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 15, 2021