Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good job VG, I hope this list encourages more people to play STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad that four of my picks managed to make it into the top 5, and extremely happy that FF14 climbed two spots in a non-expac year.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Arist posted:

• 13 Sentinels

Yeah I think 13 Sentinels will definitely get on the list! That's why I'm so keen to play it, it looks totally up my alley.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Next year ghostrunner wins

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Giving out GOTY probes quote me for one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tag me

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

New Super Metis posted:

Also this is my list of recommendations, I will probably remember more later but I will post it now anyway:

List of “figured it out!” media
This is a list of media that provokes a dawning feeling of realisation as you understand what’s going on. They tend to encourage you, the reader/viewer/player, to actively figure things out, make connections, and occasionally choose the order in which you experience events.
I lost an older version of this list so I think there are some I’ve forgotten! This is what I can remember though:
  • Outer Wilds [video game]
  • Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang [short story] (also Arrival [film])
  • Her Story [video game]
  • Sleep No More [immersive play]
  • Fish and Cat [film]
  • Annihilation [novel]
  • Return of the Obra Dinn [video game]
  • Basically every Uchikoshi game ever made [video games]

Did you play Telling Lies? I'm playing it now, and I like it, it's also by Sam Barlow and I guess it's similar to Her Story, but it's way better than I thought it would be. Definitely gonna check out Her Story after I finish it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In the shadows...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently me and punk rebel ecks are the biggest bros, if I’m understanding what that all means correctly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't find my name so I assume I'm in one of the big blobs of like-minded goons even though I think my picks were fairly unique this year

e: in hindsight that is not actually true, I am a sheep

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't really understand how that graph works, but I'm hovering right over my bro Zaggitz so its all good

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm like blobbing over two other people that i can't read sorry opinion bros

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thanks for putting in all this incredibly hardwork forum poster Video Games! :D

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Imhotep posted:

Did you play Telling Lies? I'm playing it now, and I like it, it's also by Sam Barlow and I guess it's similar to Her Story, but it's way better than I thought it would be. Definitely gonna check out Her Story after I finish it.

not yet but it's also on my wishlist! Another one I think might be good is Until Dawn, but I'm squeamish about horror.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm hanging out near Belgian Waffle and Relax or DIE and [ incomprehensible jumble ]

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Other curiosities:

The gooniest goon is THE AWESOME GHOST, who's page 1 post is two places off from the actual results. (as only 5 votes are required, I only looked at the top 5 of everyone's list for this)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

1. Hades
I'm a huge sucker for roguelike games that have enough variety to keep you coming back immediately after you lose a run. Hades managed to take that, somehow build a good story around it, and somehow tie that story in to the act of dying and retrying over and over so effortlessly it was obvious in retrospect. Loads of build variety before and during runs, crazy amounts of well written dialogue that I am still finding 100+ hours in, Adjustable difficulty and rewards that let you go for all sorts of playstyles. This is such a well made game and it came out of nowhere for me and it is insane that it beat out the other stuff on my list

2. FF7: Remake
FF7 is the first game I remember loving. It's the first game that made me realize story in a game could be on the level of a movie, that game soundtracks were good enough to be something you listen to on their own, that games can be fun even with menus and reading and planning. Remake had huge expectations going in and honestly it blew me away - this is a game that doesn't copy 1:1 the game you remembered 20 years ago, this is a game that tries its best to be as good as you remember it being 20 years ago. The effort they put into the music, making the characters more likeable, fleshing out the world and even getting a bit self aware; we could have just had FF7 with nice graphics and I'm so glad they didn't do that

3. Yakuza: Like A Dragon
I really like the Yakuza games, but they've always been about Manly Men fighting each other and everyone else being a vehicle for that. This Yakuza has you befriend the homeless, stand up for sex workers, join retired old men who fought against a corrupt system, and then has them all join your party. Having a new protagonist and a new shift to multiple main characters work together so well, even if the story goes back to the old Yakuza tropes near the end. Also the funniest game I have played in a really long time. The RPG combat is pretty well done, although obviously a first draft and I don't mind at all if they go forward with RPG main games at this point.

4. Animal Crossing
2020 was a bit poo poo for the majority of the year. This game came out just as lockdowns were starting and it was kind of nice to go to a friend's island and spend some time catching bugs when we couldn't see each other anymore. I never played an AC game in the past, and I likely never will again - but when it came out this game was the perfect "real life simulator" to make the transition a bit easier. Also I have a great house

5. Final Fantasy 14
I am not an MMO person. I barely like playing console games online let alone online only ones. But this game ambushed me with the promise of a good Final Fantasy story (Which it definitely has) and ended up making me like the whole world, want to see everything in there, and play with friends to tackle stuff together. Again a right time right place kinda game - Outside of COVID I see friends pretty much weekly and we play games like smash or board games irl, and in the absence of that doing extreme trials over discord was pretty fun. But really the star to me continues to be the world and the story - I'll probably put the game down until next expansion because I'm just not into the max level gameplay loop

I also calculated what games punched the most above their weight (i.e. would have lost the most points if every vote gave the same number of points)
Hades (#1), with 88 votes at an average rank of 3.1
Final Fantasy VII Remake (#2), with 66 votes at an average rank of 4.2
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (#4), with 31 votes at an average rank of 2.5
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (#3), with 39 votes at an average rank of 3.2
Final Fantasy XIV (#6), with 27 votes at an average rank of 3.0
The Last of Us Part II (#9), with 26 votes at an average rank of 3.2
Disco Elysium (#8), with 27 votes at an average rank of 3.4
Ghost of Tsushima (#7), with 23 votes at an average rank of 4.4
Bloodborne (#15), with 13 votes at an average rank of 2.7
Outer Wilds (#12), with 21 votes at an average rank of 4.0

and conversely, the games that punched the most below their weight
Resident Evil 3 (#62), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.5
Jedi Fallen Order, with 4 votes at an average rank of 9.0
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (#21), with 16 votes at an average rank of 6.6
Crusader Kings III (#23), with 15 votes at an average rank of 6.5
Ring Fit Adventure (#68), with 7 votes at an average rank of 7.2
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout, with 5 votes at an average rank of 7.6
Spelunky 2 (#39), with 10 votes at an average rank of 6.7
Genshin Impact (#52), with 8 votes at an average rank of 6.9
Final Fantasy VII, with 6 votes at an average rank of 7.2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps, with 5 votes at an average rank of 7.4

haveblue posted:

I can't find my name so I assume I'm in one of the big blobs of like-minded goons even though I think my picks were fairly unique this year

e: in hindsight that is not actually true, I am a sheep

From what I understand, it works in the opposite way, where because it's trying to pack as much information as it can from an n-dimentional space (where n is 180 games goons voted for) into a two dimensional space, it will emphasize games that a lot of people have opinions on (e.g. Hades, Final Fantasy VII Remake...), so putting down 10 unique games gets you thrown into the hipster pile

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Until Dawn is basically a David Cage game if he was into 80s/90s horror instead of noir and scifi (and also wasn't a bad writer and giant creep)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently me and punk rebel ecks are the biggest bros, if I’m understanding what that all means correctly

drat look at veni3 :eyepop: he's at he fuckin nexus. he's closer to the nexus of video games than....videogames!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

drat look at veni3 :eyepop: he's at he fuckin nexus. he's closer to the nexus of video games than....videogames!

loving normies

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have no idea how that list works but Wuggles and I had a very similar list and are next to each other so I guess the system works

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congratulations to the no.1 btw!!

and also ty VG for organizing the thread this year

https://twitter.com/Sabtastique/status/1347978318541324288

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

54. Nioh 2 (Team Ninja)
33 points. 6 votes in total. 0 time at #1. Average of 5.500

I will be getting this game at some point! Probably after I finish Nioh, which I am very much enjoying.

I've heard from credible sources that this game is better than Bloodborne.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xarbala posted:

Congratulations to the no.1 btw!!

and also ty VG for organizing the thread this year

https://twitter.com/Sabtastique/status/1347978318541324288

"It's a peaceful day in Hades' Administration Chamber, and you are a horrible son..."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh that reminds me,

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

sure but I ask that you please use this pic specifically:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hell yeah happy for the thread to be correct

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Heck yeah

I don’t know what being so far up and away means. I’m gonna assume it means I’m a cool dude.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
strong turnout from the anime perverts this year

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stux posted:

messed up that in that chartt im in the big group but most of my list was one offs no one else played

same. the chart lies

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sure were a lot of good video games released this year....

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks VideoGames for all the posts about Video Games. Gotta wrest my scrollin' arm now.

Also quoting goodsong.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
thank you VG and congratulations to Hades, Ill see you in hell!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A celebratory run of SA Games Forum's Game of the Year, preserved for posterity

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

great thread great fun. i picked up 13 sentinels and that was a very fun visual novel. i spent all of last weekend beating it because I knew I would immediately forget that complex story if I took a day off.

edit: I also picked up Disco Elysium and I'm pretty sure I bounced of it. which i don't get since the game is good. just puts me in a weird headspace.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 10, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A celebratory run of SA Games Forum's Game of the Year, preserved for posterity

Twin Fists are #1 weapon, we all know this to be true

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Great thread. Thank you VG and Rarity for making this all possible. Congratulations to all the posters and video games who won (it was all of them and all of us)!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My dot is the highest because I'm a fuckin' genious

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Amazing work VG, what a delight to read

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In the shadows...

Greetings and good tidings, friend who has stellar taste!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm hanging with my boy Jay Rust in the diagram, the system works :hai:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

put a puni in mine tia

I would like to thank excellent IK and good friend metis for giving me a puni when the coward mods wouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

VideoGames posted:

02. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix)
455 points. 66 votes in total. 11 times at #1. Average of 6.894

Hell yeah. :rock:

This game singlehandedly brought me back into console gaming. Currently playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Switch I got last month. :v: