Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I might need to steal that idea.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Last night I was thinking to myself "you're a dumbass and are going to regret this" as I hand-wirebrushed the fitting sockets and ends of the pipes, until I recalled that I have a miscellaneous orphan hardware bin and a cordless drill. At which point I quickly fabricobbled my male and female half inch wire brushes onto the drill and finished the cleaning stage in record time. You can actually buy ones that fit into a drill from the factory (example set: millrose 72155) so I reinvented the wheel without knowing that, but it was 10pm and I needed it Right loving Now.

Good thing I thought of that though because 74 solder joints worth of wirebrushing was not looking like fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
First there were railing bars

And then balusters

Then after much head scratching and worrying I did the trim and siding on the bottom of the bay window and it came out better than expected

Then today I started doing the last section of porch railing, which I had left off since I didn't have the trim done where it attached

It's held on with 4 8in Simpson Strong Tie bolts into the cornerpost of the house. Eventually I'll glue decorative plugs into these holes but I'm leaving them off till after the inspection.

I got two of the railing caps done tonight, hopefully doing the rest tomorrow.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
If yer not careful, people are going to start mistaking this for a house.

Seriously, awesome work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wow man, that looks awesome. It reminds me of a friend's parents' place in WV. The railings really make the look.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope you get over a million from some yuppie Boston couple fleeing the city. Inshallah.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Christ, at average stock market returns I could basically retire semi comfortably with a little more than that to cover building the new place. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get over 300 for it and that would be amazing.

It's still weird to me how much nicer it looks.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Christ, at average stock market returns I could basically retire semi comfortably with a little more than that to cover building the new place. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get over 300 for it and that would be amazing.

Put together a website showing it off and telling the story of your restoration. Show all the work you did that a typical flipper would never do. Demonstrate how you have detailed info and pics for what’s behind every wall.

Then run ads on Facebook targeted at people in Boston shopping for houses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Now if you were a flipper you would have stated and ended with the siding, porches and painting the interior and chucking in some new appliances. Most people wouldn't notice the difference (until the house started falling down around them).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Now if you were a flipper you would have stated and ended with the siding, porches and painting the interior and chucking in some new appliances. Most people wouldn't notice the difference (until the house started falling down around them).

“Honey, why is the siding popping off?”

“The contractor says because the house is only being held up by sawdust and the walls are collapsing”

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Place is really looking great. Congrats on nearing the finish line and good luck getting a premium price for all your work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

tomapot posted:

“Honey, why is the siding popping off?”

“The contractor says because the house is only being held up by sawdust and the walls are collapsing”

My carpenter was at my house yesterday replacing some trim and said he's doing a reno of a recently flipped raised ranch. There's vertical ship lap siding installed and the new owners want it changed. He said each 9' tall piece literally held on with 6x 3 penny 1 and a quarter inch box nails. He can grab the bottom of each board, stick the cats paw under it, pop the bottom 2 nails, and then peel the entire board off the house with one hand. Jesus gently caress people do poor quality work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sharkytm posted:

My carpenter was at my house yesterday replacing some trim and said he's doing a reno of a recently flipped raised ranch. There's vertical ship lap siding installed and the new owners want it changed. He said each 9' tall piece literally held on with 6x 3 penny 1 and a quarter inch box nails. He can grab the bottom of each board, stick the cats paw under it, pop the bottom 2 nails, and then peel the entire board off the house with one hand. Jesus gently caress people do poor quality work.

Sounds like a design feature for easy remodeling!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Man that's looking really good, I love the beefy exposed framing on that porch.

The Locator posted:

Sounds like a design feature for easy remodeling!

I wish I had easy tear-off siding :(

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 10, 2021

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

immoral_ posted:

If yer not careful, people are going to start mistaking this for a house.

Seriously, awesome work.

Yeah, I saw the first picture and my first thought was 'why is this here that's not Ken's house.'

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

Put together a website showing it off and telling the story of your restoration. Show all the work you did that a typical flipper would never do. Demonstrate how you have detailed info and pics for what’s behind every wall.

Then run ads on Facebook targeted at people in Boston shopping for houses.

Even if I did that, you can build a better house than this that actually fully meets modern structural standards (instead of only the parts of the frame I've had to fix meeting them) and has a higher r value in metro West Boston for less than that, so I'm seriously doubting it would get me much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Even if I did that, you can build a better house than this that actually fully meets modern structural standards (instead of only the parts of the frame I've had to fix meeting them) and has a higher r value in metro West Boston for less than that, so I'm seriously doubting it would get me much.

You're not selling the house, you're selling the story. For $300k

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I have achieved far less than I wanted to, as usual.

Porch railing is done except for the stairs, which are being a pain in the rear end because of poor planning on my part.

Then the weather went to poo poo so I started working on inside stuff.
If you repoint a fieldstone foundation with MoreTite, fiberglas, and GreatStuff I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL HURT YOU.

I hope both sides of your pillow are warm when you flip it over and your dog farts in your face all night, rear end in a top hat

But I'm averaging about 4 bags of mortar per wall repointing and partially parging the basement walls. So this isn't going to cost much really aside from time.

I had one bag sitting since like last summer. I was too cheap to throw it out and used it. It never hardened. So I got to spend an hour chiseling it all back out with a screwdriver AND buy new. Lesson learned: old mortar bags are expired mortar bags.

This one's for past me. That entire wall was covered until I scraped it all back off.

Here we go again

And now for something completely different. It's time to finally face the music on the beveled edge transition from the stairwell walls to ceiling. I've been staring at this for months not knowing how I'm gonna do it well. Time to half rear end it and pray I guess.

And then today I finished the other end of the beveled blocking except the last, smallest, most compound mitered miserable piece, which I'm leaving for tomorrow. I can't wait. But once this is done and a little more furring in the same corner is complete I can put the last ceiling drywall up and sell my drywall hoist!

That's about it for tonight. Hopefully I'll get some more repointing and the drywall done tomorrow, we'll see. I also picked up the wood for the north bedroom window sills and reveals today, once that's done and they're sprayfoamed I can do that casement too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Looking good man. Hopefully the current housing bubble lasts long enough for you to get top dollar. Prices are crazy right now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm really, really hoping that. I need to get this place done ASAP or I'm gonna end up selling at the bottom of the market.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The second weird compound mitered piece went really well, mostly by luck and a little because of the practice I got on the first one, and I think Rhyno is mad at me now for making this look too easy

And now the ceiling drywall is done to the point that I can sell my drywall hoist! This was the last piece over a half a sheet in size that needed to go on a ceiling.

That's all for tonight.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I hope you do a video walk through at some point, it looks great.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks for posting all of this, while im never going to be doing construction or renovation at the level you are doing, It did give me a kick in the pants to stop waiting for contractors availability and just get to work on things.

so cheers mate

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've now mostly repointed 4 walls, half repointed another 2. 5 more to go, mostly minor repairs.

This was a special case though. It's the wall I started by redoing the outside back in 2011 or 2012, because it was falling down and needed to build a new kitchen wall on it. I never finished the inside beyond making it weatherproof and structural, there were big cavities that needed more stonework. And the area in the middle has been slowly migrating out of the wall winter after winter which is bad since it holds up the end of that beam.

So I patched the area above the bulge to bridge it temporarily:

Then let it cure and pulled the bulging part:

Then patched it back up:

Another few walls I won't bother posting, they look like stone walls. I pointed and partially parged them. Big whoop.

This one had a window in it once, and will again soon now that I fixed the windowsill:

I'm also going to move the slop sink and washer dryer hookups over there for a variety of reasons.

The weather has been very nice recently so I started outside work again. I've been dreading the railings on the front stairs forever so time to dive in:

And done!

That's all for now, hopefully the siding, drywall, porch, and repointing will be done soon, then it's just mud, paint, flooring and trim all around I think.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

This is going to be a very nice home for someone Kastein

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Nice. What's the drill press for?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I needed to drill some extra holes in a few of the brackets I used.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Are you going to add gutters and downspouts? Might help with some of the recurrent foundation issues.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it's too cheap and easy not to. (Famous last words.)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So this might be a stupid question to ask since it's well you, but gutter installers with their seamless aluminum magic gutter trucks for the perfect length with no seams..well seems like hiring this out might be the ideal thing to not do yourself. Exterior feature that should be easily inspected for bad installation issues.

If you are doing it yourself do you plan to just buy the gutter sections at home depot and rivet/caulk (I forget what the one is for gutters) them yourself? Or will you be renting/buying one of the seamless machines?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I priced out the home depot stuff already - it looks like it won't be much. The only seams I'll have are at ends and elbows since I don't have any runs long enough to need more than one length IIRC. If I was really going to go all out I'd use heavy gauge copper and solder it, but that's way more money than I'm spending, I might do that on the next place since we'll be staying forever but this place will be fine with basic plastic or aluminum. I guess I should get quotes but after seeing how much contractors gently caress up I'm not super interested in them setting foot on my property.

The only areas I have that need gutters are an 8ft-ish length, a 13ft-ish length, an L with a 13ft-ish side and a 5ft-ish side, two 10ft-ish lengths on the bathroom and the front porch over the stairs. The rest are over another roof, rakes, or drip 5+ft from the foundation so I don't care what they do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I would recommend against plastic gutters.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow that sucks, guess I'll skip plastic then.

I have done nothing much except for basement repointing the last few days.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've had several buildings gutter'ed professionally. It's definitely not a job that's worth doing DIY.

Just find a reputable company who is willing to work with the downspout locations, attachment method, hardware, and materials that I'm sure you will specify. :D

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Wow that sucks, guess I'll skip plastic then.

Counterpoint, the plastic guttering on my house lasted almost 30 years.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure it's wise to reject the most common form of guttering out of hand just because of one bad setup, though I don't know how well they cope in snowy climates.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Jaguars! posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure it's wise to reject the most common form of guttering out of hand just because of one bad setup, though I don't know how well they cope in snowy climates.

New England is still mostly aluminum for a reason.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Canada's the same. Also nobody with more than 1/3 a brain buys eavetrough/gutters from a store. Everyone just calls a service and has them custom rolled on site and installed with a warranty.

https://youtu.be/p0ppzB47nj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a fair point that my ones won't have seen a whole lot of snow, though you can bet they've made up for it in rain.