Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Microcline posted:

Inspired by the anime thread I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

For reference, blue is PS4/PS5 owners, red is Switch owners, and purple is idorts. So it seems the biggest questions this year were "do you own a PS4?" and "how intensely did you like Hades?"

I also did a visualization of this year vs. last year

which if anything, again shows that the Playstation was having a loving year this year. Last year, out of the top 20 games Switch exclusives grabbed 5 and 18 and the Playstation only had Death Stranding at 7. This year, the Switch grabbed 5 while the Playstation grabbed 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 15, and 18. (and I have to admit this thread had me checking the prices on used PS4s, because that kind of giant robot anime nonsense is very much my thing)

I love this stuff. What does it mean that I'm off in my own island on the right although Hades/FF7/Yakuza were my top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I love this stuff. What does it mean that I'm off in my own island on the right although Hades/FF7/Yakuza were my top?

Microcline posted:

The gooniest goon is THE AWESOME GHOST

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Microcline posted:

Inspired by the anime thread I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

man I just see Australia

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Microcline posted:

Other curiosities:

The gooniest goon is THE AWESOME GHOST, who's page 1 post is two places off from the actual results. (as only 5 votes are required, I only looked at the top 5 of everyone's list for this)

Oh I somehow missed this post :v: awesome
Lol

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Being old and tired, I didn’t make it to the end last night, but thanks for doing this VG!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Giving out GOTY probes quote me for one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i'm glad it won. kinda shocked wasteland 3 got no votes though

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Kazzah posted:

man I just see Australia

im tasmania

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The red game arrows indicate where someone would have landed if they only voted for that game and nothing else, so they function like axes on a chart. People in the upper left quadrant liked FF7R and/or 13 Sentinels, people in the lower right quadrant liked Hades, people in the upper right quadrant liked Hades and FF7R/13Sentinels, and people in the lower left didn't strongly like either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I still understand nothing about that chart but good work!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Microcline posted:

The red game arrows indicate where someone would have landed if they only voted for that game and nothing else, so they function like axes on a chart. People in the upper left quadrant liked FF7R and/or 13 Sentinels, people in the lower right quadrant liked Hades, people in the upper right quadrant liked Hades and FF7R/13Sentinels, and people in the lower left didn't strongly like either.

Ah got it!

I didn't play 13 Sentinels yet to be fair, but heads up it is currently 50% off in the US PSN store (I am going to buy it)

But other than that it is kinda weird how closely my list mirrored the actual end results. I wonder if posting early skewed other people's thinking in some way, or its just the opposite and my tastes are literally whatever I read on here

I played Ori on a friend's recommendation after voting closed and that game would definitely by a GOTY contender for me and it's not even in the Top 75 on the forum results (Seriously is that right) - it makes sense that I completely overlooked it if these forums did too

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Edit: Wrong thread

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Thanks for gathering up everything and making these mega-posts! It's a huge undertaking.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just read trough all the winner posts, and wanted to say thank you to VG and everyone else who contributed to this thread, good job everyone!

Also, Origami King should have been in the top 10, and I'm looking forward to seeing it on more lists in the next GOTY thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gonna compare my list to the results.

10-7. Did not qualify
I am literally the only person who mentioned these.

6. Animal Crossing New Horizons - Placed 5th
Not too far off here

5. THPS1+2 - Placed 22nd
This one was surprisingly low, but I guess its competition was really fierce.

4. Sakura Wars (2020) - Placed 67th
Listen, I'm just glad enough people played this for it to be mentioned. Play Sakura Wars.

3. FFXIV - Placed 6th
IN A NON EXPANSION YEAR

2. FFVII Remake - Placed 2nd
SPOT ON

1. 13 Sentinels - Placed 4th
ROBBED

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Just checking in to say that I played 13 Sentinels thanks to this thread and it was rad. Definitely would have been my GOTY had I gotten it sooner.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Thanks VG, this is always one of those rare threads that's pretty awesome from beginning to end!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

exquisite tea posted:

I still understand nothing about that chart but good work!!

Well it does show you, Fridge Corn and I in a sort of obtuse triangle formation closer together than any other posters, or PS4 owners/PS4 thread regulars, and the three of us clearly have very good, and very respected taste in games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm it corresponds to the left-right authoritative-libertarian political compass xxtremely well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imhotep posted:

Well it does show you, Fridge Corn and I in a sort of obtuse triangle formation closer together than any other posters, or PS4 owners/PS4 thread regulars, and the three of us clearly have very good, and very respected taste in games.

Have you finished Eliza yet?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm it corresponds to the left-right authoritative-libertarian political compass xxtremely well

This almost checks out, or at least the best posters are to the left.

exquisite tea posted:

Have you finished Eliza yet?

I started it yesterday and got to the start of chapter 4 (out of 6 according to google), and I was hooked almost immediately, it’s really interesting so far. I just started playing again so I’ll probably finish it today, but it’s one of the more engrossing visual novels I’ve played in a while.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

i don't like this one bit!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Imhotep posted:

I uhh, wow.. you know, no ones ever said that about me before

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great countdown VG, triumphant stuff! And good posting everyone, mighty fine. Lotta games, lotta laughs.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Giving out GOTY probes quote me for one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thanks for running this thread VG, just like last year, it’s this year’s forums highlight for me. Good job everyone.

Looking forward to an awesome year coming up, and a belated Happy New Year to all Goons.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I uhh, wow.. you know, no ones ever said that about me before

lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello, friends!

If you've enjoyed discussing games that are Officially Very Good in this thread, I'd like to invite you to continue that discussion in The Very Official Something Awful Games Forum Best Games of All Time Thread! That's right, it's here, and it's yet another sticky, and it's ready for you to post in: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955050

You can check out the thread rules in the OP. Long story short, it's a place for us all to write long posts about games we love and then discuss those games with one another, with a similar atmosphere to the GOTY thread (that is, the "don't be a dick about other people's choices" rule is in full effect). I hope it will be a fun thread for us all!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Thanks for the hard work! Looks like I'm off to go buy Hades now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I completely forgot to vote in this thread when it was possible. I was always so close to making a list but kept putting it off for something else.

I didn't play many new releases so it wouldn't have impacted things much... anyway, but here's my very late top ten:

1. CrossCode
My favorite of the year. Just a super fun action RPG that lovingly mimics some other genre favorites. I liked how the puzzle dungeons got larger and larger as the game went on. Played it on Xbox but apparently the PC version has even more content plus upcoming DLC.

2. Return of the Obra Dinn
This made my brain go "Hmmmm" many times. A very unique mystery deduction game that deserves all the praise it's gotten.

3. Dragon Quest XI S
Fell of the original game halfway through, restarted definitive edition and got all the way to the end and the "secret dungeon" but the minibosses in that place whoop my rear end every time, so I doubt I'll ever get to the secret boss. Really enjoyed my time with this, it's a giant love letter to both the series and the genre.

4. Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order
Respawn's latest has helped rekindle the little love I had left for Star Wars. It's still possible to make neat games in this universe - and with original characters, too (mostly)!

5. Night in the Woods
Finally got around to playing this, the writing was excellent.

6. A Plague Tale: Innocence
A little too linear in places but I can almost always enjoy stealth games - and this one has horror aspects to boot. Looking forward to whatever the sequel brings.

7. 428: Shibuya Scramble
I wish there were more visual novels in Eglish with real actors and these production values. I crave that "FMV" look.

8. Journey to the Savage Planet
I like Metroid-and-Castlevania-and-games-like-them-likes. This is a decent 3D one of those.

9. Pikuniku
A short but delightful little game about a thing with two legs.

10. Broken Age
Hey, it's me, the guy who backed this on Kickstarter in 2012 and only decided to play it in middle of 2020. The game is okay, but suffers greatly from interface design concessions and lack of locations. I did like the mid-game twist, which surprised me. They apparently ran out of money when making the ending, somehow?

(Yeah, I didn't play that many games this year)

Thanks to everyone involved for organizing this vote.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

thanks for the cool thread and list VG (and rarity)! :)

im a lil sad that only a few of the games on my list made it into the finals... but heck yea for ff7r and hades!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Again, thank you so much everyone :D I really appreciate your kindness and I am glad we all had fun!

In approximately TEN hours from this post I will be closing the thread and moving it to join its predecessors. :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Goldmining your own thread eh? :thunkher:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
:tugs collar: err well, they have to all be together somewhere...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:shittypop:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
*moves all three to the toxic dump* Ahhh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Hoist by my own petard :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gotta get this Hades game!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Calling FFVII Remake staying in the top 5 of the 2021 list.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I was perusing the 2019 GotY thread, and saw that I made a BOLD PREDICTION

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

BOLD PREDICTION: Iceborne finishes higher on the list in 2020 than in 2019.

And, in the 2019 GotY thread, Iceborne finished 58, while this year Iceborne finished 17. Basically, I'm amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The magic of PC versions coming a year after the console release