Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I love watching this process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Those are wonderful.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
thanks! here's a dog

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Working on a tileset for my roguelike interpretation of Brigador.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love those tiles.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Scut posted:

Working on a tileset for my roguelike interpretation of Brigador.

It's BrigadorTech: The Killdozer Corvid's Inception

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lowen posted:

It's BrigadorTech: The Killdozer Corvid's Inception

I remember playing The Crescent Hawk's Inception so well played on cutting so close to the bone without knowing me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

goose in c64 mcol bitmap mode

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the Goblin Week thread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fantastic light sourcing

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
All the stuff on this page looks so amazing :11tea:

I've been getting back into doing pixel art and drew a bunch of graphics with the aim of them being easy to read at 100% magnification, so I opted for chunky outlines and dark pixels to use as antialiasing (which by habit always turns into shading). Turns out I drew everything almost smaller than I needed to, so here's my start on redrawing them bigger which I'm terrified of doing as it tends to head away from stylised and in a more ugly realism direction with all the extra detail etc which is not what I'm after.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There's a cute little pixel-arty thing going on over in GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961070 "I resurrected the pixel drawing site."

Good Sphere posted:

Draw some butts and stuff here and post it: https://majoroutput.com

Everything was Flash and old and didn't work anymore, so with the little spare time I have I remade the image editor. Hopefully I'll be able to make a place to view the older stuff soon.

Here's a big-o-block of awesome from 2008:

I still can't believe what people were able to make in a 20x20 pixel canvas with a 40 color palette. Waking up to see what people made every morning was like Christmas to me.

It's a fun little thing where you only have 20x20 px and a 40 color palette.
He's musing about maybe making it 32x32@256 colors. But either way it's a fun little thing to doodle in for a few min.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I got off my rear end and made a big enemy that i was needing for awhile.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

zx spectrum palette

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
hell yeah

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
put some more work into it!!!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I picked up Rexpaint as well as a cool ANSI character set called MRMOTXT. Did a throwback to my old Salvage project to help learn the medium. It's really fun to work with not only limited colours but also constrained shapes. Feels like a fresh take on the medium.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i keep meaning to try textmode! love the dither patterns.

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008
A plant in 10 colours, criticism/advice welcome.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Anyone use any free pixel art programs? I'm looking for something cheap(free, really) and easy for students to use in a class.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

anothergod posted:

Anyone use any free pixel art programs? I'm looking for something cheap(free, really) and easy for students to use in a class.

Graphicsgale

Jewel
May 2, 2009

anothergod posted:

Aseprite has a teacher's licence you can email about, and I'm curious if it might be cheap or even free. It could just as easily cost a bunch, but I'm thinking that if I were making it I'd be thrilled to get the newer generation into learning pixel art, who would grow up to hopefully buy my software anyway, so, worth a shot?

Other than that there's not many choices that aren't also full-fledged editors for all kinds of art. Best shots are maybe Graphicsgale, or I guess something online like Piskel? Depends on what kinda needs.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anothergod posted:

There is LibreSprite which is a fork of Aseprite from back when it was open source.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

anothergod posted:

Aseprite is still available in source form for free. https://github.com/aseprite/aseprite

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ash Crimson posted:

Graphicsgale

GraphicsGale has everything you need but it also starts with no keyboard shortcuts bound IIRC which might be a pain in the rear end if you're trying to teach a class.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was wondering if anyone who creates Pixel Art wanted to comment on this new article:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qj83yp/final-fantasy-remasters-reignite-controversies-over-pixel-art

Personally, I'm of two minds: the appearance of the sprites on a CRT is a revelation, but the example provided of what an HD metal slug character should look like seems really bad?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They look amateur; modern pixel art has not taken into account CRTs in a long time. I don't care about what they should look like, if you're redrawing them choose good colors and make each pixel count.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Didn't read it all but I don't think the remakes have anything to do with crts, they're just inept in general.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also there are a hell of a lot of hardline idiots who insist that CRTs meant that the pixels were never supposed to be seen, who also apparently never had a copy of mario 1

And yeah the FF 'reworked' sprites are just super amateurish low-contrast pillowshaded garbage

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It loving kills me they've finally gone 'oh fine people want the pixels!' and still insist on redoing them and making them less good, especially in the case of FF6, which had some of the best pixel art of the entire 16-bit generation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The art situation is stupid because it's the kind of piss poor shading that won't satisfy someone who wants art that accurately accounts for CRTs and it won't satisfy someone who wants a modern take either.

It's worth noting too that because they are reconstructed from the background of the video in the like sub 2 second clip of gameplay we aren't seeing an accurate representation of the actual colour ramps in use. There's a lot of extra shades in them that reminds me of how your pallette gets hosed by jpeg compression so I doubt that'll be present in the actual games. The ramps themselves are still shite though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe, but given how lovely the ios sprites were...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
They still have good pixel artists working at Square (like I am pretty positive Kazuko Shibuya is still there and she's the artist for the original FF), it's just a question of if theyre gonna go with an appropriate style. Like the FF6 sprites were kind of hard to make out features on with several of them (i still have no idea how to parse the generic dead woman sprite), so I appreciate the notion that they'd need to be redrawn for LCD. And I don't hate these as much as those for the iOS remake, just...... well, I hope the real things look nicer than the ones extracted from the trailer.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I think the problem is that to get CRT sprites to work on LCD is a lot harder than they're treating it. I'm personally interested in seeing how super high resolutions can emulate the softness of CRT pixels. A 4k monitor can 9x integer upscale a CRT image, so... It's gotta be possible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tunicate posted:

Maybe, but given how lovely the ios sprites were...

Man the iOS sprites were bad, which is weird because the Record-Keeper and Octopath sprites (without the lighting) are all really good, so there's people in the company who for sure can both match the SNES FF's in style and quality.

These are Record Keeper sprites which are very purposely copying FF6 and span the entire series, not just the main characters here but it's a gatcha so there's a heap of side characters in game too. (I don't play btw cos lol)
Biggest gripe with these actually is that Barret seems really light skinned??

These are the 8 main characters in Octopath, they're a little more mature? Maybe? They're way less constrained size-wise and have a larger palette, so you can see things like the chatacter's neck, while still kind of looking like they share some kind of common ancestor in the FF6 sprites.

Both styles imo would have been preferable to what we *seem* to be getting. I wouldn't mind an Octopath approach to them if they are full remakes, but I know that would be divisive. I'd also prefer if Octopath had flatter lighting like Grandia or something but thats an entirely different can of worms :can:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh wow, I'd never seen those Keeper sprites, they're fantastic.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Years backFrancis Coulombe (aka Frankiesmileshow on pixeljoint, Frankiepixelshow on twitch) used to host a weekly event called the Casual Pixel Shack, and after five years it's back. He selects a few screenshots from a classic game (usually a Nes title) and then everyone does their own riffs on it. Last week we did Sweet Home, and this week it's Final Fantasy--most entries end up posted on twitter https://twitter.com/hashtag/casualpixelshack?src=hashtag_click. He livestreams making his entry or entries, and also collects and posts them all the next day. My wrist has been hurting a bit so I'm taking it easy this week and just did this one:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This week's pixel shack is about to begin. The subject is Zelda 2
https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/1414343743344242694

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I swear I'm gonna do it next week