Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The problem is that 30-40% of America wants to murder the other 60-70%.

Trump, his enablers, etc are people who think they can harness the storm and they actively and deliberately make it worse by feeding into the grievance machine, but they wouldn't be empowered without a large proportion of America being horrible people with an axe to grind.

yup. they’re tapping into some fundamental vitriol. decline of white, male, christian hegemony? idk. something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

yup. they’re tapping into some fundamental vitriol. decline of white, male, christian hegemony? idk. something like that.

yeah, basically that, same thing that fueled the Brexit rage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've been wrong about tons of poo poo over the past few months (lol more like my entire life) so i'm not going to make hard predictions rather than the outcomes that can happen here, i see basically two paths we can go down:

the first is what we should do. which is extinguish this fire that's now burning before it becomes uncontrollable. we should have stomped it out years/decades ago when it was just smoldering embers. if we're lucky then the powers that be, capital, political, institutional, etc, will realize that there was a point that this has gone too far and we've clearly passed it. trump and all sycophants are impeached, convicted, and thrown in jail. no exceptions. no half-measure slaps on the wrist. the republican members of congress who assisted are expelled. carrier networks drop fox news. broadcasters drop all the right wing paranoia bullshit. right now it looks like the tech industry, ironically, is the only one doing what they should have done a long time ago. if we're lucky this is just because they're the ones who can act the fastest and everyone else is just getting their ducks in a row. as a society we all accept that we've been treating these shitheads with kid gloves and the gloves come off. declaring yourself as a maga chud becomes as socially toxic as wearing a swastica armband.

the second is what i unfortunately think is more likely to happen. once again the people who have been warning about what was coming are again sidelined and tut-tutted about not being 'reasonable' enough. all attempts at clamping this poo poo down is watered down to half-measures. trump sycophants are invited into talk shows and publish books. cruz, graham and crew are allowed to keep sowing politically convenient paranoia. fox news goes right back to delegitimizing the concept of a government that's not run by their preferred party. pacs controlled by capital interests convince themselves, 'well maybe we can keep a lid on this we just need to tweak it a bit'. the fascists are given four years to reorganize and find a new charismatic leader.

even in the best case scenario we're going to be looking at a lot of violence. they should have never been allowed to become this emboldened in the first place. i'm just now remembering that a loving CAR BOMB WENT OFF IN A MAJOR CITY just weeks ago and the president didn't even comment on it.

anyways- even in the best case scenario this is going to be ugly to unfuck. and with all the spineless grifters everywhere i'm not optimistic that this isn't going to be treated the same as how we got into this mess in the first place. "surely the leopards won't eat MY face"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

I wouldn't worry too much about it where you are, western Michigan is one of those places where white people go to avoid anyone who isn't white.

If you're known as a leftist, yeah, I'd worry about it.

I live in an island of sanity in broad swathes of angry violent rednecks and they've already been coming into town to gently caress with people for a while.

that’s a fair point, which is why i just want a little bit as a last resort safety net. not a decision I’m pleased to have to consider.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

The problem is that 30-40% of America wants to murder the other 60-70%.

Trump, his enablers, etc are people who think they can harness the storm and they actively and deliberately make it worse by feeding into the grievance machine, but they wouldn't be empowered without a large proportion of America being horrible people with an axe to grind.

yeah i guess i would even say that it would be "fine" if the 30% wants to murder the rest, but what is going on right now is they are being psyched to go ahead and really do it by the media, the president and leaders in government and that is a hosed up dangerous thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

declaring yourself as a maga chud becomes as socially toxic as wearing a swastica armband.

70 million americans wearing that armband does make it difficult

Apr 7, 2003

Penisface posted:

yeah i guess i would even say that it would be "fine" if the 30% wants to murder the rest, but what is going on right now is they are being psyched to go ahead and really do it by the media, the president and leaders in government and that is a hosed up dangerous thing

Yeah; like I said, there was white supremacist terrorism in the nineties but the sitting president of the united states wasn't encouraging it.

Apr 7, 2003

I've said it before, but a lot of people in this subforum live in places where they don't have to deal with these people. You don't understand how hateful they are and you don't understand that their hate is what binds them together. Their hate has been given blessing by the highest office in the land and unleashed and we're not getting that toothpaste back in the tube.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that’s when I definitely first remember it too. a big ol’ reaction to the clinton admin.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I've said it before, but a lot of people in this subforum live in places where they don't have to deal with these people. You don't understand how hateful they are and you don't understand that their hate is what binds them together. Their hate has been given blessing by the highest office in the land and unleashed and we're not getting that toothpaste back in the tube.
i live in indiana and some chuds shot up the democratic HQ in my city the other day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

kitten emergency posted:

people get weird when you point it out but the last four years have been nothing but a testament to the resiliency of the systems and bureaucracy of the united states

my concern is that because this could even happen in the first place means the problem is much much worse than the symptoms we're seeing on the surface. before trump if you had brought up a hypothetical amongst a circle of political wonks of the president siccing a mob on congress as they were in the process of certifying an election it would have been considered so insane as to be taboo. now it's happened. it's a thing that's on everyone's tongue and in everyone's mind. this is now a thing that can happen

Apr 7, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my concern is that because this could even happen in the first place means the problem is much much worse than the symptoms we're seeing on the surface. before trump if you had brought up a hypothetical amongst a circle of political wonks of the president siccing a mob on congress as they were in the process of certifying an election it would have been considered so insane as to be taboo. now it's happened. it's a thing that's on everyone's tongue and in everyone's mind. this is now a thing that can happen

I was tuned in to the beginning of his speech on Wednesday and it was so boring I went and took a half hour lunch nap. I came back to him telling his mob to go march on the capitol building, utterly insane.

Apr 7, 2003

Fabricated posted:

i live in indiana and some chuds shot up the democratic HQ in my city the other day

https://twitter.com/PghPolice/status/1308398727414132737

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if the last four years have demonstrated anything it's the extent of the rot in american institutions, and how it's preventing them from meaningfully anticipating or reacting to crisis

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Salt Fish posted:

I think this is wrong. Basically the content of the crazy beliefs don't matter. You could swap out pedo-pizza for flat earth, or swap out vote fraud for lizard people and it's exactly the same situation.

The way to understand it is that people are contorting themselves into pretzels to demonstrate to others how serious they are. They are showing you that they're ready to say anything, and to do anything, no matter how crazy it looks, to get and hold reactionary power.

It's impossible to understand the current political moment without coming to terms with why people are religious or believe in any various conspiracy theory or hold any other mythical belief. It's 100% about being part of a group and showing others that you're willing to do -ANYTHING- to be part of that group and to stay loyal to them.

Dismissing Qanon as just crazy is dangerous and ignorant. Qanon is about community and reactionary politics. It's about total and complete devotion to the group at all costs and taking power at all costs. The specific beliefs that comprise the system is arbitrary.

in case anyone hasn't seen this documentary it should be required watching for this thread. it's really well made and generally calm with real pretty footage so it's pleasant to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

edit: lol you went and posted it a few posts later. still- anyone itt who hasn't seen this needs to watch this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am not watching over ninety minutes of anything on flat earth no matter what position it takes, sorry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

I am not watching over ninety minutes of anything on flat earth no matter what position it takes, sorry

it's as much about flat earth as 17776 was about football

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

It's not about flat earth. It's about how people pretend to believe things and spending time trying to debunk them is a waste of time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I will never watch a youtube video longer than 4 minutes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I will never watch a youtube video longer than 4 minutes.

Okay then watch 4 minutes of it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i already know that. ty tho

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How many hours did you spend cleaning guns this week. Watch the F*king video b1tch!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

next thing you’ll tell me the Tim Tebow CFL chronicles do not accurately represent Canada or the CFL

Apr 7, 2003

The Cum Fart League

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

john madden, john madden

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Salt Fish posted:

How many hours did you spend cleaning guns this week. Watch the F*king video b1tch!!

i sold my guns and bought bitcoin instead

Apr 7, 2003

I lost my guns in a farting accident

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i cannot confirm or deny if i have any guns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at any rate the only time you're supposed to clean your guns is after you shoot, or when they've been in storage for like a year.

all those articles where 'so and so chud died after shooting themselves in the face while Cleaning Their Gun' are suicides.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sometimes 'hunting accident' is a euphemism for suicide as well

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

at any rate the only time you're supposed to clean your guns is after you shoot, or when they've been in storage for like a year.

all those articles where 'so and so chud died after shooting themselves in the face while Cleaning Their Gun' are suicides.

Read Dying of Whiteness if you haven't, fantastic book, they cover that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to this day my mom still maintains that my dad 'accidentally fell' out of his 11th story apartment window. Some people have an intense shame about suicides in their family, which dulls and diffuses the problem.

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

to this day my mom still maintains that my dad 'accidentally fell' out of his 11th story apartment window. Some people have an intense shame about suicides in their family, which dulls and diffuses the problem.

Human beings will deceive themselves to any degree to avoid facing uncomfortable facts.

My wife and I are the family commies and my wife's stepmom would constantly turn Fox on when we gathered, point at what was on TV, and shriek about it.

"Look, California is burning down because they don't let them log!"

"The Democrats let babies be born and then kill them"

etc etc etc

every single time without fail when I've proven her wrong she started frothing and shrieking at me and saying "we'll never see eye to eye"

Just outright picking fights and then complaining about how she's being unfairly treated and she doesn't want to hear my lies when I respond.

We're deeply mentally ill great apes lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

if the last four years have demonstrated anything it's the extent of the rot in american institutions, and how it's preventing them from meaningfully anticipating or reacting to crisis

yeah, the security failures on the 6th were really something.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the first is what we should do. which is extinguish this fire that's now burning before it becomes uncontrollable. we should have stomped it out years/decades ago when it was just smoldering embers. if we're lucky then the powers that be, capital, political, institutional, etc, will realize that there was a point that this has gone too far and we've clearly passed it. trump and all sycophants are impeached, convicted, and thrown in jail. no exceptions. no half-measure slaps on the wrist. the republican members of congress who assisted are expelled. carrier networks drop fox news. broadcasters drop all the right wing paranoia bullshit. right now it looks like the tech industry, ironically, is the only one doing what they should have done a long time ago. if we're lucky this is just because they're the ones who can act the fastest and everyone else is just getting their ducks in a row. as a society we all accept that we've been treating these shitheads with kid gloves and the gloves come off. declaring yourself as a maga chud becomes as socially toxic as wearing a swastica armband.

the reason this won't happen is that there is no "we." "we" are not political elites / the democrats, because they are institutionally incapable of doing it, all this paranoia and anxiety also serves to fill their coffers with donations and rile up the base. the only "we" that is capable of opposing fascism is an organized working class, which doesn't exist and can't be built quickly.

Apr 7, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

the reason this won't happen is that there is no "we." "we" are not political elites / the democrats, because they are institutionally incapable of doing it, all this paranoia and anxiety also serves to fill their coffers with donations and rile up the base. the only "we" that is capable of opposing fascism is an organized working class, which doesn't exist and can't be built quickly.

The organized working class has been deliberately and systematically dismantled since WWII.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The organized working class has been deliberately and systematically dismantled since WWII.

fdr managed to ram the new deal through and even though it was seriously neutered compared to what it should have been, liberal and conservatives locked arms and said "well we gotta make sure THAT never happens again!"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

There weren't 1,488 messageboards full of tens of thousands of chuds riling each other up.

yes there was, it was at gun shows. and look up elohim city

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gun shows do not compare to 50 million people sharing insurrectionist content ten hours a day to 150 more million people. I'm not saying it didn't happen there, i'm saying people weren't dragging their cousins and grandmas to gun shows to watch the live read of The Turner Diaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

gun shows do not compare to 50 million people sharing insurrectionist content ten hours a day to 150 more million people. I'm not saying it didn't happen there, i'm saying people weren't dragging their cousins and grandmas to gun shows to watch the live read of The Turner Diaries

yes they were that's what gun shows were for