Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Bats are cute. Pet the bat.

No I don't have any brain altering parasites from petting bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Couple hours later, I'm chilling, and my cat alerts to a threat,

Cat: *audibly staring*

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Good point.

I handled it with a towel and washed my hands thoroughly after, that should be good, right?

If you wake up to a bat in your house you're supposed to go get rabies shots immediately. It's 100% fatal, do not pass go, do collect your life insurance. If you found the bat while awake you're probably fine. You should call your doctor immediately.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

If you wake up to a bat in your house you're supposed to go get rabies shots immediately. It's 100% fatal, do not pass go, do collect your life insurance. If you found the bat while awake you're probably fine. You should call your doctor immediately.

I did this dance this year and thanks to goons for alerting me. I guess the risk is that it could have bit you in your sleep and you don't know.

Also it was my idiot cats who alerted me to it. They kept loving with a terrified bat in my bedroom window track. Jumping up and playing, jumping down, for longer than I'd like to admit. I figured they would take care of whatever they found. So they got shots too!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

H110Hawk posted:

I gave them a call just in case, seems that as long as it doesn't bite or scratch you there's nothing to worry about.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thr issue with bats is they have such tiny little teeth they can bite you and you might not ever feel it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

While that is true, I handled him with a towel and he never got his little bat teeth anywhere near my skin, even when he was trying to crawl up my arm he only ever touched the towel, and an extremely thick Carhartt jacket with a long sleeve shirt underneath.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

While that is true, I handled him with a towel and he never got his little bat teeth anywhere near my skin, even when he was trying to crawl up my arm he only ever touched the towel, and an extremely thick Carhartt jacket with a long sleeve shirt underneath.

Yup. If he got in while awake you're probably fine. But like make sure you deed that death trap lovely house over to kastein before you go.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I should also mention the worst part of the rabies vaccine. Since it was a Sunday I had to go to the ER for the shot. Which meant I hit my insurance deductible for the year right then. Since it is calendar year based, having it happen in December would be a real kick in the nuts if you didn't hit the deductible already. The vaccine set for round one was $10k alone. The rest were peanuts compared to that.

It didn't matter since I lost my job and insurance like a month later and didn't need any more health care either for the year.

Goddamn the Healthcare here is bad isn't it?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm lucky enough to have 100% free healthcare, the quality leaves a lot to be desired though.

They refused to test me for COVID (after a one week wait after possible exposure) so I could go back to work, and see my family for the holiday, so I ended up going to a free testing place and giving a fake name to get tested :rolleyes:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

More progress.

Need that to set, then rebar, need to seal those cracks too. Not exactly proud of this, but at least it'll be better than it was.

Rest of the ceiling came down, check out the nice wall ceilingpaper under the upstairs bathroom.

Hoping to have this wall done by the end of next weekend, then I can do the beams and floors, and have a sealed house again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The dust from that ceiling ought to be good for a pretty sweet sinus infection.

Jesus, what a mess. I hate to say it but I'm betting you have rotten sections in at least two joists there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

The dust from that ceiling ought to be good for a pretty sweet sinus infection.

Jesus, what a mess. I hate to say it but I'm betting you have rotten sections in at least two joists there.

I wouldn't bet against you!

That whole section of floor is going to get chopped up as part of the stairs or upstairs bathroom projects, so I don't have to concern myself too much at the moment.

E: the shower surround laying on hacked up wood sub floor directly is fuckin' :kiss: fortunately nothing goes in the prison shower except Rosie's litter box, that p-trap is probably a solid block at this point.

I've taken plenty of showers where I can't stand up on submarines, I don't need to do it at my house too.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 30, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

At this point I'm kinda blindly forging ahead, I'm realizing I can never retrofit this house to 100% modern standards, I can't tie everything together like it should be, best I can do is stop it from rotting, do some seismic retrofitting, and hope it lasts until this property gets rezoned (non-rural) residential and someone puts 8 houses on it. The problems are so deep and systemic.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rather, at least be able to sell it with a clear conscious that it won't fall down in an earthquake (survived a ~4.something recently!) And then do what Kastein's doing and park a trailer on a plot of land and build a new house for what I get from this one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah pretty much what I did with my current place. Triage, not a full modernization... Because no matter what you are never going to make it meet modern seismic, hurricane, and wind uplift standards. Or vapor barrier permeability. I did the best I could, and honestly that's about as much as anyone can expect, it's better than it was. You could strap and hanger the gently caress out of that place and there are still going to be places where you just can't win, and the foundation was built so piecemeal it won't really matter how much you tie it down, either.

Thread title is accurate once again: shoulda just burned it down...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Concrete!

I've been lazy about updating, so these are all over the course of a week.

hosed up the rough measurement on this one so it's way too far to one corner, ugggghhhh

Each footer's 24x24x18, with a #4 rebar cube in the middle, about 800lbs a piece, each one will get a 4x6 post.

Got this little tool off Amazon to help, it works, it emits a disturbing melting plastic smell when running, and it came with two (2) extra sets of brushes, which seems optimistic to me! Costs as much as renting a decent one for 1 day though so works for me.

Many uses, such as building tunnels, bridges, and airports!

I've been having a problem with socks sticking in my boot for a couple weeks, thought it was glue from the insides falling apart.

Nope.

Giving the Concrete a week to cure before working with it, hope to get the wall re-framed this weekend, and the beams up next weekend.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bust that baby out when your girlfriend comes by.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

it came with two (2) extra sets of brushes, which seems optimistic to me!

This absolutely is not optimistic, what they're telling you is that the brushes will burn up FAST and the commutator will probably be smoked after the first set, so plan on warrantying it ASAP. At least that's what it meant when my HF 5x5 portaband (don't buy) came with several sets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Bust that baby out when your girlfriend comes by.

My GF and Mom helped me mix and pour that footer, and wouldn't stop making jokes about it. :allears:

Kastein: the commutator laying through three sets of brushes was exactly what I meant when I said optimistic :cheeky:

E: but:

It's lasted 2 pour days so it's paid for itself, it works almost as well as a name brand Wacker-Neuson which us's kinda mind boggling.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 8, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I assume you know what the, ah, colloquial name for that tool is :dong:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

I assume you know what the, ah, colloquial name for that tool is :dong:

We called them vibro-dongs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Each footer's 24x24x18, with a #4 rebar cube in the middle, about 800lbs a piece, each one will get a 4x6 post.
that sounds solid, probably could secure 2 motorcycles with it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

So, I know you're joking about that dude that poured like a concrete cube to attach his bike to, but....

I've done the same thing.

The only extant picture of my 2018 Husqvarna FC250, because it was stolen less than 24 hours after I bought it, it had 0.1 hours on it from a spin around the yard, went to my GF's the evening after I got it, got a call the next morning from my roomate "hey, did you take BOTH your motorcycles?"

I have nowhere secure to store a dirt bike, I thought the lovely carport would be fine because it's not visible from the road, I was wrong.

Thank GOD I decided to finance it because they were offering 0% APR, so why not, otherwise I never withhold have thought to get insurance for it.

I wasn't gonna let the lack of proper dirt bike storage get me down though!

(More importantly I got a security camera system)

Now the bike is stored in a secret secure location that is not the chicken coop, don't look for my bike there.

The replacement.

Installing anti-theft coating.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just normal house stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Nice open air dining room. Very COVID-friendly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Goddamn I love this project. Most projects get worse before they look better, that's a given. This one looks worse before it looks worse then it looks better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Deathwatch Beatles

Cover band?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Nice open air dining room. Very COVID-friendly.

My house is legitimately more "open air" than all the "outdoor" dining tents that are set up around here, probably colder too.

StormDrain posted:

Goddamn I love this project. Most projects get worse before they look better, that's a given. This one looks worse before it looks worse then it looks better.

I would've done so much different if I could go back... I think barely 50% of the existing exterior wall on the 1st floor is left.

Anyway, progress.

Footing with forms removed, real happy with how this turned out, I think I almost blew the form out though, lots of snapped screws. I need to remember to clean up any spillage next time, the interior form board was almost impossible to remove.

Wood!:

This corner turned out pretty janky, it's full of steel plates and structural nails, and then sistered over, should be strong enough but it looks like butt.

Wall, final framing for the windows still needs to be done, racing the clock on a Sunday trying to get the nail gun shut down by 1900 again/not have a huge hole in my house

Speaking of racing the clock, I hosed up measuring and didn't realize all the cripples had to be 10', and it was too late to go to Lowes, I also messed up because I picked those two original joists to pick up, then went to frame the opening from there, but it ended up close enough to the final dimension that I would have had to frame in a tiny stupid stud bay, or stack a bunch of cripples together.

Then I realized that I had 3 4x6x10 posts in the truck, which would solve both problems at once, so now I just have massive cripples, and I know which wall I'm ducking against for an earthquake.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Elviscat posted:

So, I know you're joking about that dude that poured like a concrete cube to attach his bike to, but....

I've done the same thing.
:eyepop:

I only have three questions A) did you do this before or after discovering the 400lbs saga? 2) How much did your perfectly molded cube of concrete weigh? Third, how often did you ride around your yard on the dirt bike with the block of concrete dangling behind you like a flail?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

:eyepop:

I only have three questions A) did you do this before or after discovering the 400lbs saga? 2) How much did your perfectly molded cube of concrete weigh? Third, how often did you ride around your yard on the dirt bike with the block of concrete dangling behind you like a flail?

A) before

2) only 320 lbs, but it's dug about 18" deep and undercut on the bottom so that it keys into the dirt, rather than just being a freestanding cube.

Third) no way I could do that, I hooked my Ranger up to it and gave it a few good tugs/yanks, and wasn't able to budge it, I realize a RWD Ranger isn't exactly the gold standard for "yanking poo poo out of the ground" but I figured it was a decent deterrent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't forget a lot of the water you add gets chemically included in the concrete, too.

Either way at that point they're gonna either cut the chain or move on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A little more progress, ran short on wood, again.

kastein posted:

Don't forget a lot of the water you add gets chemically included in the concrete, too.

Either way at that point they're gonna either cut the chain or move on.

Yup, that's the goal.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Add a 20V DeWalt cordless drill to the list of tools that have given their lives for this house.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Beams are in place, though obviously not permanently mounted yet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What should I do, considering time is my constraining factor in this project?

That's right, build a stupid loving house for the feral cat that won't stop begging for food in the purring¹ rain.

WORTH IT, I would've bet $5 this little poo poo never used it.

I'll roof and side and insulate it now.

Why I did it, little dude spends most of his time sitting in this chair, even if it's soaking wet, waiting for me to feed and/or pet him, or at least provide a warm lap/back to sleep on.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
:unsmith:

That is awesome. You are awesome.

It’s so cool that the cat actually went in and is using its new house. I have had no cat that has ever used a small hone/fort that I set up for it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Awww, you're good to the little guy.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Your cat's new home is now 100% more structurally sound and less likely to spontaneously combust than your house. Comparatively, that cat house is a luxury mansion, which is fitting considering cats are born to be smug assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Gonna fail your framing inspection on that, I don't see any hurricane ties at all. :v:

Looks great, and awwwww catte. I guess you have two cats now.