Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yes they were that's what gun shows were for

The internet compresses the timeline and makes it easier to reach and radicalize way more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Also just like weird fetish poo poo, the internet makes it easier to get in touch with other people who are into insurrection or white supremacy or whatever and normalizes it, and emboldens them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
message boards and whatnot are orders of magnitude more effective at spreading a message than some lovely event at the county expo center

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yes they were that's what gun shows were for

you are reducing something to simplistic absolutes that sound good in snarky one line posts but are factually incorrect. things are very different now from 1993.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

you are reducing something to simplistic absolutes that sound good in snarky one line posts but are factually incorrect. things are very different now from 1993.

I'm saying it happened then just as much as it does now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, it didn't.

I liked it better when you were just a stoner weeaboo and didn't have this bizarre fake news conspiracy theory thing going on

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

No, it didn't.

I liked it better when you were just a stoner weeaboo and didn't have this bizarre fake news conspiracy theory thing going on

look at loving oklahoma city

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/TerryBoutonHist/status/1348365425013370892

We're so hosed lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i know a lot of folks in the last few pages also had the misfortune of growing up in the south and probably got dragged to one or two of those gun shows. i remember the one i was taken to- by a pretty progressive dude- purely to show me what went on there. soooo much hitler poo poo, hitler youth knives, swazzis on everything. one chud really took a liking to me and tried to give me a good deal on a combat shotgun. in retrospect i should've bought it because that's easily one of the best weapons in fallout: new vegas

anyway yeah i agree that there were always vectors for this in some way or the other (definitely had a lot of confederate flags all around me growing up) but goddamn if marketing people didn't realize awhile back that, like all the energy up there in them clouds, they just needed a lightning rod to route it through some revenue-generating channels (literally in the case of fox 'news'). anyway the moral of my thesis is that marketers are ghouls i guess

psiox fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 10, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

look at loving oklahoma city

Right. Timothy McVeigh was a right-wing radical, but in the '90s it took a lot of dedication (eg attending the gun shows mentioned above, buying the Aryan Nation pamphlets, etc) to get radicalized to that point. Now the same talking points are accessible in 5 seconds to anyone with a smartphone and a Facebook account.

Like I don't have a tori level doomer brain, nobody does, but you'd be stupid to say that there aren't more open active right-wing nutjobs today than there were 30 years ago.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the poo poo spreads on facebook and twitter now. it’s way more pervasive.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Right. Timothy McVeigh was a right-wing radical, but in the '90s it took a lot of dedication to get radicalized to that point. Now the same talking points are accessible in 5 seconds to anyone with a smartphone and a Facebook account.

Like I don't have a tori level doomer brain, nobody does, but you'd be stupid to say that there aren't more open active right-wing nutjobs today than there were 30 years ago.

Literally everything I've said is going to happen has happened with the exception of roaming krystalnacht chud death squads, and you can be sure that's coming.

Apr 7, 2003

The GOP always broadcasts what they're going to do, and every accusation is a confession. This time last year, they were yelling about a coup to overturn the will of millions of American voters.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm just now remembering that a loving CAR BOMB WENT OFF IN A MAJOR CITY just weeks ago and the president didn't even comment on it

by a suicide bomber, at that :eng101:

i kinda feel like that's a helpful distinction to contextualize what republicans have fostered

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The GOP always broadcasts what they're going to do, and every accusation is a confession

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

his point about more cops being at the march for bill nye the science guy made me suddenly remember i marched on the mall for autism research and yeah- there were way more cops

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wonder if the fbi has subpoenaed parlors records for all the death threats yet

lol probably not

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1346919171595137025

This woman freely and openly admits that she was engaging in an insurrection, but seems shocked and upset that weapons were deployed against her.

This country has a real problem with people living in alternate realities.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

his point about more cops being at the march for bill nye the science guy made me suddenly remember i marched on the mall for autism research and yeah- there were way more cops

"Congressional security" is probably closer to reality than "capital police". I think a lot of people don't understand the distinction.

The capital police are under the legislature. They answer to the sergeant of arms of the house and senate, and ultimately to the majority. The police you saw at the mall were probably the US Park Service, which is under the executive branch. The capital police are a bunch of bike cops for the most part - you could see them getting their heads bashed in while wearing bike helmets. They depend on the executive and the DC government to contain large crowds at protests that happen off their grounds.

The stop the steal rally was at the ellipse - the fence around the white house. That's what's craziest about all of this. The executive (ultimately the president) deployed no law enforcement or security to contain his rally that started on land policed by the executive. Congressional security (the capital police) was prepared for a few hundred die hards to come over and scream at the doors. After failing to provide law enforcement to keep his rally from getting out of hand, the president, his son, and his lawyer spent all morning winding them up. Then he told them to march on congress and he would join them.

What happened makes a lot more sense when you realize the capital police were probably counting on all those law enforcement officers you saw at the mall, or the DC metro police being in the way of the rioters reaching congress. Congress repeatedly refused to build a perimeter fence like the ellipse, same as they refused to harden the building after 9/11.

If I'm wrong somebody please correct me because I'm an old and I don't read so good anymore.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also - the president refused to deploy the guard after it started. Mike pence had to do it.

It's almost like the president;s inaction... IDK, ammounted to a coup or something. presidential staffers are worried they may have inadvertently aided in sedition or treason.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Like, not only refused to call in the guard, and refused to tell his crazies to leave the building, but was calling senators demanding the refuse to certify the count while they were under seige.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Sorry for the posting firehose, but the other important thing...

Bombs were planted at buildings the capital police provided security for. They probably sent a large detachment out to sweep buildings for explosives and to clear people out of them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Like, not only refused to call in the guard, and refused to tell his crazies to leave the building, but was calling senators demanding the refuse to certify the count while they were under seige.

holy lol. hadn’t heard this part.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1346919171595137025

This woman freely and openly admits that she was engaging in an insurrection, but seems shocked and upset that weapons were deployed against her.

This country has a real problem with people living in alternate realities.

america was founded on a revolution so when good guys od revolution its ok but when bad guys do revolution its communist its all very simple

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

holy lol. hadn’t heard this part.

sources if you want it.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/mike-lee-tommy-tuberville-trump-misdialed-capitol-riot/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/pence-national-guard/index.html

Apr 7, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

"Nice life you've got there, shame if something happened to it"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What I can't find a source for but remember reading is that neither the capital police, nor the executive requested a major presence from the metro police department.

I look forward to hearing what the chief of the capital police was told about the rally from the executive branch. We've seen some rear end covering with the "FBI offered help after the fact, and the guard was offered before" - but we do know the guard would not have been issued magazines and may have only been given non-law enforcement support roles (deploying and moving barricades and directing traffic).

"Nice life you've got there, shame if something happened to it"

Same as "I don't plan on attending the inauguration". It's almost like he's got some kind of contact to the rabid, violent true believers (I'd point to flynn). Really puts the "stand down and stand by" comment in a crazier light. Q-shaman said his group was invited by the president. It's unclear if that's a personal invitation or if he is talking about the tweets.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What I can't find a source for but remember reading is that neither the capital police, nor the executive requested a major presence from the metro police department.

I look forward to hearing what the chief of the capital police was told about the rally from the executive branch. We've seen some rear end covering with the "FBI offered help after the fact, and the guard was offered before" - but we do know the guard would not have been issued magazines and may have only been given non-law enforcement support roles (deploying and moving barricades and directing traffic).

Same as "I don't plan on attending the inauguration". It's almost like he's got some kind of contact to the rabid, violent true believers (I'd point to flynn). Really puts the "stand down and stand by" comment in a crazier light. Q-shaman said his group was invited by the president. It's unclear if that's a personal invitation or if he is talking about the tweets.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1348386309824520194?s=20

there's a seventy-odd minute gap there that raises a lot of questions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

the us capitol police reports to the architect of the capitol who was appointed by trump last year :thunk:

Apr 7, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Same as "I don't plan on attending the inauguration".

Twitter outright said that they banned him based on that tweet because his fans saw it as an invitation to commit violence at the inauguration and were eagerly and openly planning terrorism attacks due to it.

Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

the us capitol police reports to the architect of the capitol who was appointed by trump last year :thunk:

wait, for real..?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

technically the board consists of the architect of the capitol and the sergeants at arms of the house and senate, but the architect is in charge of the complex as an entirety.

this board supposedly reports to Congress but somehow I doubt a 2020 trump appointee cares about something like that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

with all the threats that trump and magats have said over the past few weeks, the feds need to seriously consider moving the inauguration to an undisclosed, secure location and just televising it from there

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’ve never met anyone who likes to talk about their guns who wasn’t also a huge moron who probably shouldn’t have access to guns.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kazinsal posted:

with all the threats that trump and magats have said over the past few weeks, the feds need to seriously consider moving the inauguration to an undisclosed, secure location and just televising it from there

in favor of that its also a way to ensure proper distancing and easily broadcast it safely. I'm always a bit surprised how open it is, considering the motorcade is a moving tank disguised as a car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

I’ve never met anyone who likes to talk about their guns who wasn’t also a huge moron who probably shouldn’t have access to guns.

thats because you tuned out before the SRA octupled in size in the past few years. There are plenty of gun nerds in there that are just as knowledgeable and smart about cartridge pressures and points of impact and whatnot, and post very nice pics of their AK's on a pride flag next to a dog-eared copy of Das Kapital.

Liberals being scared of and ignorant about guns is what gave the far right exclusive power over them for half a century. You know how we laugh at old people who call a desktop wallpaper a 'screen saver'? That's the same dismissal the actual gun lobby in America has used for sixty years against liberals that post a pic of an AR15 and call it a 'machine gun'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

i briefly worked for an anesthesiologist that basically had an antique fire arms museum in his basement

it seemed pretty benign but who knows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

i briefly worked for an anesthesiologist that basically had an antique fire arms museum in his basement

it seemed pretty benign but who knows

it depends if the antiques were goofy flintlocks or "gosh, every gun in your collection is german and from 1937-1945"

luger dorks are sus

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

Yospos is kind of a closed group at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

odds on him being Biden’s fbi director?
unlikely. fbi director is a 10-year appointment, and chris wray started in 2017, so biden would have to take a second term to appoint a new one unless wray resigns early (which i suppose is possible). i doubt he'd pick comey at this point

anyway, took a walk down to the capitol. both it and scotus are entirely fenced off with military inside. the other nearby buildings (LoC and such) weren't fenced off, but had soldiers around them. i didn't see any flags, so i'm not sure if they were NG or not.

inauguration is supposed to be largely closed, and the scaffolding in front of the capitol where the lectern will go is entirely inaccessible. i don't think it'll be a big deal, and having it outdoors is still the best for pandemic reasons, if nothing else.