Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

Fun fact: a lot of tablets have SoCs that are also used for phones, and are perfectly capable of telephony assuming they have a cell connection which allows it.

side talkin', not double aes encryptin' like you should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

side talkin', not double aes encryptin' like you should be

That's some bitch aes whining I'm hearing

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHc29CjDsI

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

but op, my thinkpad has a modem that i can interact with through the hayes command set with
i'm sure it wouldn't take much work to be able to setup calls either, if it wasn't blocked on the plan i'm using (because it's cheaper with just a data-sim)

now i have a mental image of picking up a thinkpad, holding it up to my head, and going "HELLO?!" like that scene in the tom green show, or whatever the gently caress it was, back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-v6kyEDCNo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/abditum/status/1348202065181360129?s=21

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
so if we go down the hierarchy of hosting to be banned from the cloud: aws, cloudflare, twilio
next is colocation
if you can't colo you buy fibe and at small chud run isp
then your chud isp is sued out of existence
then you try peering directly under shell companies until arin takes your ip space
finally you run your site on tor

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why wouldn't they just do tor next?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xtal posted:

Why wouldn't they just do tor next?

tor is way too complicated to set up and use for 99% of their audience. all the tiers above that are accessible through a normal browser

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
also there is a PR effect every time you get thrown off a new platform

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ymgve posted:

also there is a PR effect every time you get thrown off a new platform

So what are generally considered to be the worst of the worst in terms of platform providers for them to go to? Russia, I assume?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

the zenfone 1/2 used atom cpus iirc

The 4, 5 and 6 too apparently? Why because Asus that's why.

lmbo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So what are generally considered to be the worst of the worst in terms of platform providers for them to go to? Russia, I assume?

Maybe Tencent or alibaba will host them lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister posted:

Maybe Tencent or alibaba will host them lol

That or the Iranians.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

They already got kicked off reddit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ymgve posted:

If you're on x86 you're not a normal phone that normal people use
mostly it's this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 4, 5 and 6 too apparently? Why because Asus that's why.

Oh that's..weird. I had a 3 and was a snapdragon.

What the hell Asus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

russian business network is still bottom of the barrel, below that it’s just a rack in an apartment building basement in jakarta.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you're contacts were using because of privacy, and kept using after facebook acq, they don't actually care about privacy

yes they're normal people

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think normal people care about end to end encryption in the first place?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my understanding is that WhatsApp got traction because sms in non-American countries was a shot show, and the privacy aspect was a bonus

at least everyone I know that used WhatsApp used it as an sms alternative for international messaging

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Fool posted:

my understanding is that WhatsApp got traction because sms in non-American countries was a shot show, and the privacy aspect was a bonus

at least everyone I know that used WhatsApp used it as an sms alternative for international messaging

yeah, those sms-over-ip apps caught on because phone companies in some cases wanted something like 0,50€ or more to send a text 5km over a border

in some cases, when it comes to prepaid plans a text uses 1 'unit', where a unit also equates to 1mb of data, so you pay the same to send 160 bytes of sms message as you would a full megabyte of data

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

so if we go down the hierarchy of hosting to be banned from the cloud: aws, cloudflare, twilio
next is colocation
if you can't colo you buy fibe and at small chud run isp
then your chud isp is sued out of existence
then you try peering directly under shell companies until arin takes your ip space
finally you run your site on tor
more like cholo provider

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

The_Franz posted:

yeah, those sms-over-ip apps caught on because phone companies in some cases wanted something like 0,50€ or more to send a text 5km over a border

in some cases, when it comes to prepaid plans a text uses 1 'unit', where a unit also equates to 1mb of data, so you pay the same to send 160 bytes of sms message as you would a full megabyte of data

Dang, that's even worse than the original scam of charging for texts despite those 160 bytes being transmitted between your phone and cell tower regardless of their being an sms actually being sent or received

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm surprised alibabacloud wasn't plan A for parler tbh.

It's a pretty serious fail in DR and business continuity to not think of AWS cutting you off. The twilio thing is a lol though, I didn't think of that one coming.

I guess comcast and friends can all just ban parler's DNS, or anything else Parler may rename itself to. Maybe blackhole Parler's ASN if they go full bare metal in China or something.

There is no end to escalation different bodies can go to if Parler wants to remain easily accessible for its extremely uneducated userbase, though. (lol at taking your phone to your insurrection. Using a credit card to pay for a plane and hotel. Not doing the currently non-suspicous act of hiding your face.) Chrome could just mark the site as being full of malware, blacklist the tls cert. Whatever.

Also what is Parler's business model. Money laundering for Russia?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 11, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why did they use sms tfa to begin with when it's less secure, less stable and more expensive than totp? They're probably using libraries for it all anyway

Edit: Oh yeah they're dumb

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Anyway it doesn't matter the FBI and NSA have both 100% gone and kicked in the doors of the executives by now.

e; lol plenty of people have removed their linkedins that formerly identified themselves as working as parler real recently

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methanar posted:

Anyway it doesn't matter the FBI and NSA have both 100% gone and kicked in the doors of the executives by now.

e; lol plenty of people have removed their linkedins that formerly identified themselves as working as parler real recently

even the lawyers noped the gently caress out. Although I suspect that’s as much to do with concerns over their clients ability to pay as anything else.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If the executives want to keep being stupid, I guess the FBI could just as well head over to the DBA's house and pistol whip him until he opens up his laptop, logs into the VPN and unlocks his ssh key to hand over backups to get a nice list of every parler user's contact/identity.

Justify it later that it was a matter of national security to stop an imminent terrorist attack.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Methanar posted:

It's a pretty serious fail in DR and business continuity to not think of AWS cutting you off. The twilio thing is a lol though, I didn't think of that one coming.

I guess comcast and friends can all just ban parler's DNS, or anything else Parler may rename itself to. Maybe blackhole Parler's ASN if they go full bare metal in China or something.

There is no end to escalation different bodies can go to if Parler wants to remain easily accessible for its extremely uneducated userbase, though. (lol at taking your phone to your insurrection. Using a credit card to pay for a plane and hotel. Not doing the currently non-suspicous act of hiding your face.) Chrome could just mark the site as being full of malware, blacklist the tls cert. Whatever.

converting the Mercers’ appetite for tax breaks and anti-regulation judges into funding for mobilizing voters who support candidates that support those position

fewer piss jug libraries than some of their other investments tho

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Methanar posted:

If the executives want to keep being stupid, I guess the FBI could just as well head over to the DBA's house and pistol whip him until he opens up his laptop, logs into the VPN and unlocks his ssh key to hand over backups to get a nice list of every parler user's contact/identity.

Justify it later that it was a matter of national security to stop an imminent terrorist attack.

i think you may misunderstand who the fbi’s boss is for the next few weeks

or where their enforcement priorities are

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

I doubt the FBI appreciates being embarrassed by the center of government being overrun. Anyway cracking down now would be a good way to throw trumpers under the bus to maybe stay in the good graces of the next admin. And as a performative demo that, actually, the FBI was always against trump and that definitely had no part in the coup attempt.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 11, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if some shady three letter agency is actually behind parler. at the very least, it seems like a clear target to have been taken over as soon as it gained traction.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PCjr sidecar posted:

the fbi is an institution that wants to remain relevant and therefore backs and relies on establishment power

they feel free to move against trumpers since all those institutions (formal and informal) have all indicated it's biden time

trump could ask them for a diet coke and he wouldn't get it lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Methanar posted:

does law enforcement have more access to your credit card records than your flight history?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

https://twitter.com/donk_enby/status/1348484125825658887?s=20

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1347992161359450120?s=20

edit: more from the trump thread

https://twitter.com/PhD_femme/status/1348502473733005313?s=19

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 11, 2021

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Schoolboy error https://twitter.com/kubeworm/status/1340776119272951808?s=19

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/donk_enby/status/1348281461435207680?s=20
https://twitter.com/donk_enby/status/1348459800233963522

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kazinsal posted:

tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if some shady three letter agency is actually behind parler. at the very least, it seems like a clear target to have been taken over as soon as it gained traction.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have just lost all their backend service providers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

yeah like ddosguard or whoever is hosting 8chan these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

well this says great things about their ability to migrate from AWS to a completely different platform in 30 hours, what with all the competent development and such