Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RagingTux posted:

For very good, detailed, objective reviews of e-ink tablets including all the various Boox lines check out the My Deep Guide channel on YouTube, e.g. Note Air here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ5sXTJRMI

Youtube recommends Voja's reviews to me constantly after watching a few, and I find myself getting sucked in to these super thorough deep dives on devices I have zero interest in, just because of his chill presentational style.

I'm like, "Tell me more about these nibs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I've got a Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen and I bought a book bundle from Humble Bundle. Most of the books are too big to load onto the kindle via the Amazon email address thing, so I need to load them manually. I've connected the Kindle to my PC via USB but the only thing that happens is the green battery light lights up indicating that it's charging; it doesn't show up in my Windows Explorer as a device I can interact with and load ebooks onto.

What am I doing wrong?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Try doing a full Kindle restart while it's plugged in, via holding down the power button?

E: also, have you had this Kindle show up as a drive on your PC previously, or first time trying this combination?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

So I've got a Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen and I bought a book bundle from Humble Bundle. Most of the books are too big to load onto the kindle via the Amazon email address thing, so I need to load them manually. I've connected the Kindle to my PC via USB but the only thing that happens is the green battery light lights up indicating that it's charging; it doesn't show up in my Windows Explorer as a device I can interact with and load ebooks onto.

What am I doing wrong?

Addressing the original issue here, but did you try the downloadable SendToKindle application?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheAardvark posted:

Try doing a full Kindle restart while it's plugged in, via holding down the power button?

E: also, have you had this Kindle show up as a drive on your PC previously, or first time trying this combination?
No dice, it didn't work.

This is my first time trying this, I've never had to connect it to the PC before because I'd either buy eBooks through Amazon or the Kindle itself, or I'd buy book bundles that were small enough to email to the Kindle.

Edit-- I have not tried SendToKindle, I'll look into that.

Edit 2-- I can't download the SendToKindle app from Amazon's site, Bitdefender keeps flagging it as malware. :suicide:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 30, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Edit 2-- I can't download the SendToKindle app from Amazon's site, Bitdefender keeps flagging it as malware. :suicide:

That's weird; it comes up clean on VirusTotal (including BitDefender):
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/8d56da3053804556b74069bcd8d518f409ce014f0c6a2aeba902098ab5e1b600/detection

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, I don't really know what to say. I did get SendToKindle from a different site, I'm loading my ebooks onto the kindle but I can't load any books bigger than 50MB (which is about a third of the books I'm trying to load). :suicide:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's not remotely a good solution, but you could install Calibre, convert them to EPub, then install the plugins listed in step one here that let you split Epubs in it. Then convert the split files to MOBI to send to it via email.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
I mean, if they're pdf's calibre can send them to the kindle without any need to convert them. Otherwise it can automatically convert items from epub to mobi and send them over to your kindle. Been using calibre for years, works really well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

What am I doing wrong?

Are you sure your USB cable isn't just a charging cable instead of a data/charging one? Try a couple of other cables to be sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

It's not remotely a good solution, but you could install Calibre, convert them to EPub, then install the plugins listed in step one here that let you split Epubs in it. Then convert the split files to MOBI to send to it via email.

imo, this email solution is my preferred method of dropping in files. pdfs load weird on my kindle and take a really long time to flip pages. I've had similar connectivity issues with my kindle and PC

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Silly Burrito posted:

Are you sure your USB cable isn't just a charging cable instead of a data/charging one? Try a couple of other cables to be sure.

Well hot drat, that fixed it. I hadn't even considered that the cable might not be a data cable. Thank you! :cheers:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Well hot drat, that fixed it. I hadn't even considered that the cable might not be a data cable. Thank you! :cheers:

You're welcome! Glad it was a simple fix.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Are there any tablet-sized e-ink readers that can connect to a Calibre server?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Lazyhound posted:

Boox has several.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Any word on good cases or covers for the newest Oasis? Should I even bother with any of that?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Whether or not you should bother depends on how and where you use it.

I don't have any situations where I read standing up, and I've gone 11 years of constant reading without ever dropping and breaking a Kindle. The only time I ever had a case was when I had a commute that was mostly standing.

I find them honestly a bit annoying. Modern Kindles are pretty durable, I don't feel like I'm risking it throwing mine in my pocket for a day trip or something.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Anything you can install Koreader on can access Calibre's OPDS server and has limited support for network push from Calibre as well, which covers all Kobos and, I think, all Kindles as well. Anything with a web browser on it (including every Kobo) can access Calibre's web server, too.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Any word on good cases or covers for the newest Oasis? Should I even bother with any of that?

I got the “water safe fabric” cover that Amazon offers. It’s been solid and looks pretty sexy IMO.

If you’re just using the kindle around the house I’m not sure I’d bother getting one. I got it so that I can toss it in my backpack while traveling and not worry about the screen being scratched.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

retpocileh posted:

I got the “water safe fabric” cover that Amazon offers. It’s been solid and looks pretty sexy IMO.

If you’re just using the kindle around the house I’m not sure I’d bother getting one. I got it so that I can toss it in my backpack while traveling and not worry about the screen being scratched.

I actually ended up just getting a pop socket to make it a little easier to hold lol.

Most of my reading is in the house anyway so no point in a case.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I actually ended up just getting a pop socket to make it a little easier to hold lol.

Most of my reading is in the house anyway so no point in a case.

If you ever do change your mind, I like this case: https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Sometimes I just like the feeling of having the cover folded behind the Oasis. Makes it feel more like a paperback book.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Are there any cases that somehow form-fit around the Oasis bump? I like the aesthetic of some cases but love how the Oasis fits in my hands.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

Are there any cases that somehow form-fit around the Oasis bump? I like the aesthetic of some cases but love how the Oasis fits in my hands.

The one above does but I'm sure most do.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, most cases should fit like that, unless they've got a leg or a stand or something on the back, or they're designed like the original (and promptly disavowed) amazon magnetic case, which stuck to the thin half and left the bump exposed

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Maybe I should clarify (or maybe everyone understood it from the get-go). I don't know how this would work, but what I would like is a case that somehow retains the bump even when the front cover is folded back. Maybe it's just not possible to engineer. Or maybe most do that and the one I ordered is one of the few that doesn't.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Fly Ricky posted:

Maybe I should clarify (or maybe everyone understood it from the get-go). I don't know how this would work, but what I would like is a case that somehow retains the bump even when the front cover is folded back. Maybe it's just not possible to engineer. Or maybe most do that and the one I ordered is one of the few that doesn't.

I haven't seen any like that. Such a case would have to have a concavity on the front and a bump on the inside of the front flap when it wasn't folded back, which would look quite weird and probably not be great to hold in any position other than folded back.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

chippy posted:

I haven't seen any like that. Such a case would have to have a concavity on the front and a bump on the inside of the front flap when it wasn't folded back, which would look quite weird and probably not be great to hold in any position other than folded back.

Kinda what I figured. Thanks for the info.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There are at least a few phone-style cases without a cover flap. They also sell screen protectors.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Semi related to the thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to bulk download personal docs from amazon through the content and devices area?

I can select a bunch of em, but can only deliver them to devices, not download them or send them to kindle for pc or anything.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I sent myself a pdf to my kindle paper white. When I open it on my computer, it is fine. However, on my paper white, I have to turn the dreaded sideways to read it.

Is that normal or is there a way to correct this?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I sent myself a pdf to my kindle paper white. When I open it on my computer, it is fine. However, on my paper white, I have to turn the dreaded sideways to read it.

You are always going to have a bad time reading a pdf on a kindle

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Semi related to the thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to bulk download personal docs from amazon through the content and devices area?

I can select a bunch of em, but can only deliver them to devices, not download them or send them to kindle for pc or anything.

That's the same behavior I have when trying to download a bunch of books, so I am betting there's not a current way, or one I haven't figured out yet.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Take a PDF editor to it and see what the orientation is? And is text stored as text or as an image? Maybe something weird is set as a display property that your computer knows what to do with, but not the Kindle? Just things to think about as you play with the file.

Although as mentioned, PDFs and Kindle don't play so well. Now that you've downloaded that PDF editor, extract/convert that file into an actual ebook! (Or to a format Calibre can convert to mobi.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It's normal. Your Paperwhite's display is probably much slimmer than the sheet of paper the PDF was formatted to fit.

Apparently Kindle converts the PDF to Kindle's format if you type "Convert" in the subject line when sending the file, but I have no experience and don't know if the results are good.

Obviously you can also do the conversion yourself with Calibre etc. I used to use MS Word to convert PDF to DOCX and then Calibre to convert DOCX to EPUB (several years ago), but the results will always vary because every PDF is different and many just don't convert well to a flowing text format.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Just got the Boox Nova 3, holy crap this is a neat little bit of kit! Any tips and tricks or must have apps? I'm just using the pre installed and have added kindle for my existing library and pocket casts for podcasts.

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

Dirty Needles posted:

Just got the Boox Nova 3, holy crap this is a neat little bit of kit! Any tips and tricks or must have apps? I'm just using the pre installed and have added kindle for my existing library and pocket casts for podcasts.

You're in luck, the first part of Voja's long-awaited Boox guide just got released today!

https://youtu.be/E9uXtd8Ne70

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really like the idea of an e-ink Android tablet but I'm not buying one until they make one with either enough storage for my PDF library or a microSD card slot. They don't seem to have a regular-sized e-reader with USB-C, either, so I'm not motivated to upgrade.

I do kind of want to know how the software works, though. Is their built-in implementation of ePub nice? I'm not even sure what the top app for Android is anymore now that Readium is basically dead.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What questions should I ask to make sure I purchase the right ereader for me?

I don't plan to use audiobooks.

I've previously used an amazon paperwhite 7th gen and was very happy.

I don't plan to use features such as annotations, etc.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Mr. Nemo posted:

What questions should I ask to make sure I purchase the right ereader for me?

I don't plan to use audiobooks.

I've previously used an amazon paperwhite 7th gen and was very happy.

I don't plan to use features such as annotations, etc.

If you don't already have a preference, a used Kindle or Kobo is going to be perfectly fine. If you still have books from the Kindle store and don't want to remove the DRM yourself and are okay with continuing to buy books from Amazon, get literally any Kindle.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New FCC filing from Kobo: https://the-digital-reader.com/2021/02/08/new-kobo-ereader-clears-the-fcc-has-bluetooth/

tl;dr: Filing shows it has bluetooth and 32GB storage. Most likely another premium model akin to the Aura One/Forma with audiobook support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a good way to send articles to my Kindle Oasis?

I have a few publications that do great long form articles, but I’m just never going to read them fully on my computer or an iPad. I realize I may be trying to solve an environment problem with a tech solution here.

Is PDFing and emailing to my kindle address the best I can do? Is there a way to automate RSS -> selection -> ebook workflow or desktop browser extension?