Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The burger king of kings

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've known chippies that would sell you something similar in a pizza box.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

if more churches had a sense of humor, people might show up

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Who tf eats a side dish of whole green onions?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Green onions are good like that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Green onions are good like that

Aah gently caress all my life I thought "spring onion" just meant like, a regular onion, only it's small because it's so early in the year. It's a whole different vegetable :doh:

But yeah you can just dip them and scronch. It's kind of sweet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
English is stupid #24: Scallions, green onions, blooming onions and spring onions are all the same thing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

English is stupid #24: Scallions, green onions, blooming onions and spring onions are all the same thing.

Yeah. They're young onions that are harvested before the bulb begins to swell. The real mindfuck is that cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, Savoy cabbage, kohlrabi, and gai lan are all the same plant, selectively bred to look different.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Bloop posted:

I can't even imagine a more calorically dense food

Go to any state fair. They will deep fry you a whole stick of butter

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've heard of people trying deep fried haribo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dear Watson posted:

sure and shots of straight olive oil would be the highest but a stick of butter or a cup of oil don't really feel like food per se, just ingredients

I would eat a fried butter stick though. Probably only once, but I would.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Outrail posted:

???

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

goonfood tangent 2: tangent harder

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Bloop posted:

sure and shots of straight olive oil would be the highest but a stick of butter or a cup of oil don't really feel like food per se, just ingredients

Of course, that’s why I mentioned a fried stick of butter being more caloric dense food than fried pecan pie because it is prepared. It’s not a shot of oil, it is a prepared food for fine dining. Only the classiest of foods.

Also you are braver than I am. I couldn’t bring myself to try it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Bloop posted:

50/50 fat/sugar is what apparently triggers positive human taste responses most effectively, and this can get more calories down that just straight fat or sugar - for example, cheesecake

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Dear Watson posted:

There's show on Food Network called "Carnival Eats" and I get heartburn just watching a small segment of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRhYjQZYMg

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Do other countries do an equivalent to the all American state fair? Or are we the only ones that celebrate prosperity with such a grotesque display of food abominations?

Look at that mouthwatering tray of Krispy Kreme donuts hamburgers from an American state fair

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 11, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

Do other countries do an equivalent to the all American state fair?

Most countries are just one state. (Market) fairs are common all over, and always have gross food.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
A state fair is NOT a market

Edit: it’s an experience

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

A state fair is NOT a market

Anything with loads of people selling things is a market.

e: Wait, is the food free? BRB immigrating.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Like I’ve been to markets. It is objectively wrong to use such a simple term for a state fair.
I honestly had never been to a state fair until I was almost thirty and by god, it’s like a portal from hell opened up in my city.

Like is everything gross at your countries market? Like even I get gross just being there.
You can’t actually buy any healthy food at one. It’s only gross foods.
I’m sad that America doesn’t actually have American exceptionalism when it comes to these yearly celebrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 11, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are various big agriculture shows and fair type things in the UK. The Royal Welsh show, that sort of thing. A few days of farmers doing farmer things, animal competitions, food and drink stalls, inbred people (members of the royal family) wandering about.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I am now sad that other parts of the world have these. It seemed fitting to have them as punishment for us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're more likely to try and sell you artisanal cheese, single variety cider and handcrafted tchotchkes. Some people will undoubtedly be selling junk food of highly debatable provenance.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

this is the americana thread, they're the same thing

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
best spicy pickles i ever had in my life was right next to a place selling bayonets, AK handguards and ww2 memorabilia in the adirondacks.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Depending on the size/permanence of the fair, there is nearly always a ferris wheel of some type and maybe some ride a carnie put together yesterday that probably won't kill anyone

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Are fireman's carnivals A Thing? I always looked forward to them when I was a kid. It's basically a state fair type thing to raise money for the fire department (small town PA in this case). It was held the week of the 4th so the fireworks were part of the experience. The FD set up a big pavilion where they cooked so that sorta displaced most of the fair food.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah a US state fair is nothing like a market or a standard agriculture show. That's an insane comparison.

It's a crazy carnival with cows and pigs and deep fried absolutely everything. The more outrageous and unhealthy the more popular you'll be. And Styx, Great White, or other forgotten 80's bands will probably be playing on stage too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

State fairs are great places to go and marvel at pigs' huge balls in person.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I assume all british fairs are just like the fetes on midsomer murders

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

other people posted:

I assume all british fairs are just like the fetes on midsomer murders

Correct, but with only one or two murders.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How many people inject lead pellets into their puckins to cheat the weigh in?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
This all just sounds like an American version of a market.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah the US is nothing like a country or a standard nation state. That's an insane comparison.

It's a crazy carnival with cows and pigs and deep fried absolutely everything. The more outrageous and unhealthy the more popular you'll be. And Styx, Great White, or other forgotten 80's bands will probably be playing on stage too.

Edit: /\
New tfr thread idea: what shotgun rounds can I buy to increase the weight of my pukins?

Weka fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2021

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Bloop posted:

I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

The big e has all the individual elements of the agricultural fairs from across the US but it's so much more... Professional?

You can definitely get all the grossest fair foods known to man but it feels like going to a major league sports game versus the county fairs little league

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Weka posted:

This all just sounds like an American version of a market.

Edit: /\
New tfr thread idea: what shotgun rounds can I buy to increase the weight of my pukins?

You should probably rename it then because a market is something very different. It's where you go to buy stuff. Like food. For your family.

Not like, ferris wheels and heavy metal bands.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We're talking state fairs and no Mutton Bustin??!
Throw a helmet on your kid then throw them on a sheep and let it ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqxb1bb5YE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My cousin chased a baby cow and caught it when we were in Colorado once. I forgot why but it was a race with a bunch of kids. Who could catch the calf first.