Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It’s a New Year folks. A lot of us made it through 2020, some of us didn’t. Please take a moment to remember those you may have lost.

Let’s start off the year by talking about things to come or things that just occurred Army-wise that are noteworthy.

The ACFT is on indefinite suspension until an independent commission conducts a survey, thanks to the new NDAA. It remains to be seen what policies will come out to fill the gaps for schools and promotions in the interim.

From the HR side of the house, AR 25-50 just hit the streets with a new update in November. The biggest change is that we’ve joined the rest of the world in only using one space after a period. That’s taking some getting used to. Also it calls for ARIMS records numbers at the top of a memo next to the office symbol but to be honest in my 13 years in Army HR I’ve never used ARIMS, nor could I even begin to navigate that site to print labels or create a log.

The Integrated Personnel and Pay System - Army (IPPS-A) is still on track to meet its CSA-mandated 21 Dec 21 release date to the Regular Army and the Reserve. The Guard has been using it since Jan 2019, and while I was plugged in pretty heavily then, I haven’t kept up. I’d be curious to know how well it’s working for you in your state.

What’s new in your shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My grandfather gave his account of his dumb time in the Army as a draftee in Korea for the military history thing in A/T. Dropping this here for y’all. He asked me to keep his name and rank, and pardon the typos, the man is 91:

PFC James McGinty* posted posted:

There really isn’t much of a story. After basic training I arrived in Korea at Inchon in june ’51. That’s where Gen, MacArthur invaded South Korea after the North Korean Army surged down to Pusan at the southern tip of South Korea. That invasion cut off most of the North Korean Army from any supplies or route of escape. After arriving in Inchon. that night

we were greeted by someone from N.K. flying in a small plane drooping hand grenades The next morning I went south on a train top Tague and was assigned to the Tague Military Command.. When I wen to Korea my MOS (Military Occupation Code) was for Graves Registration which involves identifying the dead. Fortunately, I never did that. I was assigned to a Quonset hut along with a tech sgt. Our job was to receive and ship anything coming to or leaving TMC.

As for activities , when a train arrive ,we had a crew of 3 Korean men who did al the work, of loading and unloading. All I did was supervise Then it was my job to notify the units that they had some freight and come pick it up. We also accepted freight from the units to be shipped else where.

We had our meals with the railroad troops who came mostly out of Pennsylvania worked for the Pennsylvania a Railroaded and were members of the Pennsylvania National Guard..

I met a guy from Queens NY and his job was to build machine gun mounts in empty coal cars, Meeting someone from the next door county was like meeting a next door neighbor when your half way around the world.. Every American operated had a sand loaded coal car up front, , to take the shock of a ground explosion, the 2nd car was the machine gun car to repell any ground attack.. All American trains were pulled by what we used at that time as switch engines., used to switch trains in a rail yard..F We were notified in advance when a train was due to arrive so we basically worked around the clock.

As for free time, o we didn’t have much but with2 of us on duty all the time

One would cover for the other. I went to a USO shoe one time, hitching a ride with the rail rid detachment and another time I was invited ti the British detachment for a farewell party for some of there members that we regularly did business with but that’s about all. In the nice weather we’ would just sit outside enjoying the movement of anything that was going on. In the cold weather we would mainly stay indoors except when we hsd to meet a train. One Christmas eve a Lieutenant went down to Pusan and brought back various amounts of alcohol, depending on what you ordered and we had a Very Merry Christmas..

A week later on December 31st I was on a ship pulling out of Pusan South Korea. I didn’t arrive home until Jan. 26th and I was out of the Army.

My Mother died while I was in Kprea and my younger sister moved in with my elder sister and my elder sister found a room for me to rent Six months and 6 days later I married your grandmother and thus started the happiest part of ny life.

THE END

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Exciting times in suicide prevention.

That's bad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vasudus posted:

Exciting times in suicide prevention.

That's bad.

You're telling me that the United States Army is having suicide prevention problems?

I am shocked.

This is my shocked face.

Next you'll tell me that they're sending condolence letters to next of kin with the wrong soldiers' names in them.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My grandfather gave his account of his dumb time in the Army as a draftee in Korea for the military history thing in A/T. Dropping this here for y’all. He asked me to keep his name and rank, and pardon the typos, the man is 91:

That was a fantastic story, Ugly. Your grandfather seems like a cool dude.

Also, score one for 2021 already. A number of Army systems are crippled due to the death of Adobe Flash. My inbox has already blown up this morning with notices that various online trainings and user management tools are offline until they get recreated. Great jorb!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Here's my stupid Army story of the day.

National Guard wants me to take time off work and travel to an Armory halfway across the state on orders for 2 days so I can attend a Class via teleconference in the armory's video conference room.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress me army already setting the stupid standard high in '21

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well it’s been a year since this:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-service-member-dod-contractors-killed-terror-attack/story?id=68075337

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is there any kind of read-between-the-lines narrative to be had in the murder of that SF trooper at Bragg with the weird, weird history?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

PeterCat posted:

National Guard wants me to take time off work and travel to an Armory halfway across the state on orders for 2 days so I can attend a Class via teleconference in the armory's video conference room.

As the person that had to set up this kind of thing... I feel your pain.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I heard ranger school is going to100% online training for the duration of the pandemic.

Pass the quiz in 3 tries or less and you're a ranger.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So the pass rate is going down then

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

not caring here posted:

So the pass rate is going down then

I'd imagine peering out of that reads like a banned user rap sheet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t look back on my time in the army very fondly but man it was a different kind of punch in the gut to see the confederate flag in the capitol building.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Imagine being a new private joining now. Virtual BA is the best. Oh you want me to come in in person? 😅

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t look back on my time in the army very fondly but man it was a different kind of punch in the gut to see the confederate flag in the capitol building.

Yeah, that was straight bullshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's so incredibly infuriating for so many reasons.

Here's a big one for you guys.

See the portrait on the wall?

That's CHARLES loving SUMNER.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PeterCat posted:

the year is 2021 and you're still in lol

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PookBear posted:

the year is 2021 and you're still in lol

18 months till my 20.

sigh.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Been retired for 23 years come July. Life is good man.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Cashed in your chips at juuuuuuust the right time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Cashed in your chips at juuuuuuust the right time.

I met someone once that got out July 2001. I expressed my shock that he hadn't been pulled in from IRR, and he told me he got out at 8 years. And he smiled and said "motherfucker did they try, though"

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
Everyday I'm grateful I got out of the Army at 13 years in 2019 and didn't fall for the lie that retirement was something I should strive for.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I’m thinking about staying in until I get at least one star. That or transitioning to become a warrant if I get passed over for full bird. Reserves though. I figure if I hit 24 I’ll get at least one look to become a bird or solar body.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

White Chocolate posted:

I’m thinking about staying in until I get at least one star. That or transitioning to become a warrant if I get passed over for full bird. Reserves though. I figure if I hit 24 I’ll get at least one look to become a bird or solar body.

I'm at 24. How many politicians are you on a first name basis with?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

White Chocolate posted:

lol you fuckin nerd you post on SA nobody is giving us stars except admins

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

spacetoaster posted:

I'm at 24. How many politicians are you on a first name basis with?

drat well at least I can go warrant and blend into the wall 😂

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

White Chocolate posted:

drat well at least I can go warrant and blend into the wall 😂

I personally know an O-6 with a minority MOS who reached his MRD and decided to just revert to his old rank of E-5.

His O-6 bio and everything is still on the internet so I love making up stories about how he got busted for people who ask about the really old junior NCO.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Every dude I ever talked to that went from officer to enlisted (well...all three of them) had a completely different, and very odd path. They universally mentioned that they lost all their old O friends, though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

I personally know an O-6 with a minority MOS who reached his MRD and decided to just revert to his old rank of E-5.

His O-6 bio and everything is still on the internet so I love making up stories about how he got busted for people who ask about the really old junior NCO.

But why would you do this instead of taking your O-6 retirement?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Flying_Crab posted:

Maybe he wanted more retirement points.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I thought however long you held your highest rank was what got you the best retirement pay? As long as he was a COL for 3 years, he could legit skate for the last bit of time in service and avoid being a GO’s coffee/errand boy.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

You’re correct. It’s based on the average of the highest 36-months base pay. The retirement points factor into that calculation too, but I can’t remember off the top of my head how.

Edit: Retirement Pay Calculator.

So yeah, years of active service multiplier for Active Duty, and retirement points multiplier for Reserve.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 17, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

lol you fuckin nerd you post on SA nobody is giving us stars except admins

Unless it's gold.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flying_Crab posted:

He will retire as an O-6. He just didn't feel like he'd had enough ARMY I guess.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Be honest, the servile reflex is so embedded who is going to boss around an E-5 that used to be an O-6

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GD_American posted:

Be honest, the servile reflex is so embedded who is going to boss around an E-5 that used to be an O-6

I spoke to him. He says his company commander gets him to advise him on everything.

A smart captain for once.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

I spoke to him. He says his company commander gets him to advise him on everything.

A smart captain for once.

That's super-smart. If I had bars I'd never let that guy see a motorpool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would absolutely boss around a former O6/current E5 and would absolutely be okay with him telling me to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was looking at the updates to 670-1. I spent five minutes watching the live stream before I realized, "I'm old, fat, broken, and retired. I don't actually give a gently caress."