Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I am going to have a space for a tv no greater than 100 inches. Obviously finding anything over 75 inches starts becoming ludicrously expensive. So are there any good price to performance BIG tv's. I am looking into the vizio p-series quantum x at 75 inches. Seems pretty reasonable and my old tv is a vizio and I've always been happy with it.

Ideally I'd want an 85 inch tv.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, I paid just under for my 4 year old 65 as what the 77 costs now. Pretty sure that model was $20k at the time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Early CES reports have LG planning on a 42" OLED to complement the 48" released last year. There's also a large-screen 83" panel and an improved 77" panel that has better peak brightness called the "OLED Evo".

Conference later today. Wondering about all the rest of the specs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
LG press release is out:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1610371802

-revamped menu system
-C1 an incremental upgrade, G1 a new, brighter panel
-references to an A1 model, speculated to be an even cheaper entry point than the BX was
-no price or launch date yet

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
They finally (probably) made the G actually worth the lift over the C besides "you can put it on a wall".

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Unpopular opinion: I recently had some problems getting 24hz working on my LG CX, which led me down a rabbit hole to True Motion. Eventually, the last thing I did was turn it off.

I honestly have to say I prefer it on. For what it’s worth, I really love the HFR movies that have been released. Am I the only idiot who feels like this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, everyone is brokebrained about something.

Beyond SOE, I don't know how anyone can stand the number of artifacts that Truemotion creates. I have a Dejudder 1 Deblur 1 setup on one picture mode due to my C6's lack of handling 60hz progressive inputs properly so I turn it on sometime and it doesn't take long to start seeing interpolation artifacts. On live action stuff (as long as there's not huge swaths of the same color on screen) it's mostly ignorable, but animation is all messed up. Distractingly messed up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Artifacts>slow motion aaf amen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Having bought a CX during 2020 I've long been preparing myself for getting very angry during future CESs but goddamnit I didn't expect LG to come out with some apparent brightness breakthrough in literally the next generation. Oh well, it's only on the G-series for now, it'd probably be too expensive anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Next gen OLED panels have been on the horizon for a bit and a lot of people expected them for the 2020 generation. The current generation of panels are all just tweaks on the 2016 models. Looks like they are dealing with any yield issues by confining the new panels to a specific model line.

I'm more interested in what the implications are for other aspects of the panel besides brightness though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

Beyond SOE, I don't know how anyone can stand the number of artifacts that Truemotion creates.

I had to watch so much TV over Xmas with these modes enabled and it bewilders me that people can put up with all the glitches, even if they like the smoothness.

Was the CG in Wonder Woman loving terrible or was it just because I watched it on a TV with all this junk turned on, who knows (because I'm not going to watch it again).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had to watch so much TV over Xmas with these modes enabled and it bewilders me that people can put up with all the glitches, even if they like the smoothness.

Was the CG in Wonder Woman loving terrible or was it just because I watched it on a TV with all this junk turned on, who knows (because I'm not going to watch it again).

I watched it on my properly configured television and some of the CG was real bad. Some of those running down the street effects looked like ps1 game animation where the characters feet slip all over the place.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

LG press release is out:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1610371802

-revamped menu system
-C1 an incremental upgrade, G1 a new, brighter panel
-references to an A1 model, speculated to be an even cheaper entry point than the BX was
-no price or launch date yet

Do older models get the revamped menu too?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Grey posted:

Do older models get the revamped menu too?

Almost certainly not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

I watched it on my properly configured television and some of the CG was real bad. Some of those running down the street effects looked like ps1 game animation where the characters feet slip all over the place.

Ha, now I want to see a poorly finished movie where a character glitches through a wall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fly Ricky posted:

I honestly have to say I prefer it on. For what it’s worth, I really love the HFR movies that have been released. Am I the only idiot who feels like this?

I'm actually starting to like a lower level of interpolation on streaming content (it's really good for anime), but I still turn it off for film; too smooth.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TCL announced that their 2021 6 series sets will be 8K, which I assume means they'll have HDMI 2.1 as well. Also going to launch a line of 85" sets starting at $1,599.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What on gods green earth

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

By the time 8K content is readily available, those TVs will probably be well past their lifespan.

I got my first 4K set in August when my TV from 2008 finally kicked the bucket. I'm just shocked at the complete lack of 4K content available. I guess it's not too dissimilar to how much HD content was available in 2008, but at least back then it seemed like every content provider was working as fast as they could to get all their content upgraded to HD, and very publicly announce that fact. Now though, I get the feeling everyone's just dragging their feet. I couldn't believe HBO didn't have any 4K content until Wonder Woman just a couple of weeks ago!

5 months ago I would have never imagined that the vast majority of 4K content displayed on my TV would be coming from K-pop videos on Youtube. :psyduck:

Also, all the talk about HDMI 2.1 and VRR when it comes to gaming reminds me of the hype about the 3D capabilities of TVs back when that was supposed to be the technology of the future. Remember all the promises about games in 3D, or how split-screen multiplayer would be a thing of the past as the 3D technology would be able to transmit personal full-screen images to each separate player using just one TV? We're going to get the same amount of 4K120 console games this generation as those that were 3D-capable back in the day.

What's funny is that now if I play some of my older Blu-ray movies with my new TV, those movies bring up a warning that if I want to take advantage of the 3D features in the movie I need to upgrade my TV to one with 3D capabilities. :rolleyes:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are some titles already that are 120hz, like Cod and I think Siege, but also people with 3 series nVidia cards can now get better than 60fps on an Oled TV and combined with VRR is a big seller for me. I'm just waiting to see the full 2021 offerings to device if I get a CX series or wait for the C1.

Edit: I am pretty sure at this point I will be replacing my monitor with a 48" LG CX, but I may wait for the 42.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 11, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fedule posted:

Having bought a CX during 2020 I've long been preparing myself for getting very angry during future CESs
The CX was a well known milquetoast offering, though.

I wouldn't get too riled up about the brightness breakthrough -- lots of similar claims by other manufacturers (TCL's 0mm). The fact that it's on the GX makes me think it'll be a bit until it filters down in an affordable way.

Interesting that they're working towards 5.x.2 functionality with the TV speakers tho. And I'm wondering if the reworked menu UI will trickle down to previous year models

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Doggles posted:

Also, all the talk about HDMI 2.1 and VRR when it comes to gaming reminds me of the hype about the 3D capabilities of TVs back when that was supposed to be the technology of the future. Remember all the promises about games in 3D, or how split-screen multiplayer would be a thing of the past as the 3D technology would be able to transmit personal full-screen images to each separate player using just one TV? We're going to get the same amount of 4K120 console games this generation as those that were 3D-capable back in the day.

I still think 3D is pretty neat, and I think there might've been a niche for it (considering 3D movies are still...well, not coming out, but you know), but they absolutely poisoned the well by releasing and pushing the active shutter 3D televisions. The idea of spending a significant sum per person and wearing glasses whose battery level you had to monitor was laughable, and while there's no way to test the hypothesis, I think it sucked a lot of the air out of the room when the passive TVs came out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FilthyImp posted:

The CX was a well known milquetoast offering, though.

I wouldn't get too riled up about the brightness breakthrough -- lots of similar claims by other manufacturers (TCL's 0mm). The fact that it's on the GX makes me think it'll be a bit until it filters down in an affordable way.

Well yeah that was kinda why I was preparing! It was pretty immediately apparent that the CX wasn't a big upgrade on the C9 (arguably a downgrade in some respects) so just on statistics I figured there was a good chance the C11 or whatever would be a bigger improvement, but, well, 2020 was when I was buying a TV so here we are. I knew what I was signing up for when I decided to care about Good TVs.

The big thing I'm curious to see how it catches on is microLED, but that's probably gonna take a bit longer to filter down than a new take on OLED.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fedule posted:

The big thing I'm curious to see how it catches on is microLED, but that's probably gonna take a bit longer to filter down than a new take on OLED.
That's one I wonder as well. TCL's 2020 MiniLED didn't fare significantly better than the Vizio P QX with the FALD testing so I'd like to see if this year got better.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Boxman posted:

The idea of spending a significant sum per person and wearing glasses whose battery level you had to monitor was laughable, and while there's no way to test the hypothesis, I think it sucked a lot of the air out of the room when the passive TVs came out.

Agreed. The one and only time I tried to watch a modern 3D movie outside of a theater was at a friend's place. He forgot to charge the glasses beforehand...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Passive 3d on 4k HDR OLEDs is amazing.

No resolution loss since it's interleaved lines on a 4k TV.

No flicker since it's simply a polarization filter (same with no batteries and the polarization of RealD 3d from theaters is the same so you can just keep the glasses from the theater to add to your collection.)

HDR gives the TV extra headroom to increase brightness of an HDR image to overcome the brightness reduction from the glasses.

Perfect black means raising the overall brightness doesn't elevate black level.

This leads to a well defined image with full dynamic range and zero crosstalk. 3d on my C6 looks better than the best theaters and I often times prefer the 3d version of a movie to the 4k HDR one.

If this was the implementation of 3d for the home right out of the gate, it would be huge right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember downloading a demo of one of those long forgotten PS3 shooters that was in 3d when I got my first LCD. Needed fuckin batteries for the glasses, and when I got another Samsung through warranty, those glasses were no longer compatible. I used to show off some 3d stuff offered through one of the apps on the tv and that was all I ever got out of it. One thing my brother was actually right about. None of the movies I saw in 3d in theater were impressive at all.

Higher res is only tough to sell because of low expectations of regular Joe tv watchers and console owners. You need something to sell it. Hell, a lot of you still like watching poo poo in slow motion so higher refresh is lost on a lot of people too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
3D for games was dogshit, too.

I got a work laptop around 2013 and the only model available to us had a 3D screen.

You try running around DCU Online with your health on one plane, your name and DPS in the immediate front, and everything else about the UI being a headache-inducing slog. :barf:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Deeply dismayed to see a small vertical green line of burn-in on my LG C8 today. It’s a small faint green line, and it’s only see-able against certain backgrounds when HDR is activated, but it’s definitely there.

The weird thing is that when I go to YouTube to look at a solid white screen, I don’t see it. Is there a possibility that this is just some image retention, as opposed to full blown burn-in?

I tried to get a picture but it’s not great. It’s much easier to see in motion. Even my wife noticed it (after I pointed it out).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Screens are RGBW, so a full white screen is predominantly going to use the white pixels. So, if the issue is with some other color, it would be masked.

Try an all red screen.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Try an all red screen.

Haha, oh yeah that did it. Clear as day, plus some burn in on some other spots that I couldn’t see with regular use.

For reference, it’s a 55” C8 that I’ve had since June of 2018. 7884 hours on it. I’m gonna try running the pixel refresher tonight to see if it helps, but I’m not expecting any miracles.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OldSenileGuy posted:

Haha, oh yeah that did it. Clear as day, plus some burn in on some other spots that I couldn’t see with regular use.

For reference, it’s a 55” C8 that I’ve had since June of 2018. 7884 hours on it. I’m gonna try running the pixel refresher tonight to see if it helps, but I’m not expecting any miracles.

Do the positioning and shape provide any clues as to what might have caused it?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm actually starting to like a lower level of interpolation on streaming content (it's really good for anime), but I still turn it off for film; too smooth.

Glad I’m not completely brainbroken. I just went back and forth with it and realized for film it really is pretty goofy; the novelty of it is interesting more than anything. Hadn’t tried animation until now, but I can see myself leaving it on for awhile for that.

My LG CX still refuses to play 24hz mode Blu-rays from the Xbox for more than a minute or two. I see a lot of complaints online about this being a common issue but no fixes other than to turn 24hz mode off. Honestly I don’t particularly notice any difference in the two; is it possible the CX is fixing this on its own? Looking at the input stats it does clearly show 24hz/60hz though. :confused:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

Glad I’m not completely brainbroken. I just went back and forth with it and realized for film it really is pretty goofy; the novelty of it is interesting more than anything. Hadn’t tried animation until now, but I can see myself leaving it on for awhile for that.

If you want a good test, try experimenting with 'The Boys' or 'American Gods' on Amazon Prime; They're filmed in a cinematic style, but at 30fps since they're made for tv. I use Clear on my Hisense as putting it on Smooth introduces some weird artifacting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want a good test, try experimenting with 'The Boys' or 'American Gods' on Amazon Prime; They're filmed in a cinematic style, but at 30fps since they're made for tv. I use Clear on my Hisense as putting it on Smooth introduces some weird artifacting.

They aren't 30fps, they are 24fps (23.976 to be exact.)

Pretty much nothing is filmed at 30fps.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 12, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Huh. I wonder why they're easier to watch with it on than feature films then. Weird.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sofabaton U1 is great! Changing a button or macro couldn't be faster or easier. I don't need my Harmony 650 any longer; if anyone wants it speak up and you can have it for the cost of shipping

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S535 $448 shipped

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Got our Hisense AndroidTV this morning. For someone very used to Roku this is different.

Does AndroidTV have an app you can control the tv with like Roku does for iPhone?

Also the Android TV ui seems crazy low resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't know but I love the Roku app. We have all roku tvs in the house so when my kids won't turn the volume down I just pop into the app and do it for them from wherever I am.