Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat that was a loving sick episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Does it have to be someone with Titan power AND royal blood? I imagine that’s the case because why not just use historia

That's exactly what Eren was worried about in episode 58. He thought if the military knew, they would do something drastic with her.

New episode was pretty tense, can't wait for next week!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, this was covered and I figure that while Marley doesn't know, the Tyburs do know and certainly whoever holds the War Hammer Titan would have the memories that show it.

I'm not sure if there would have been a situation before where the Founding Titan wasn't being held by the Fritz family, so it could be they don't know. Willy seemed to be pretty genuine here to me, he was risking his life for this and was super nervous and emotional.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I'm not sure if there would have been a situation before where the Founding Titan wasn't being held by the Fritz family, so it could be they don't know. Willy seemed to be pretty genuine here to me, he was risking his life for this and was super nervous and emotional.

That didn't cross my mind, but it's possible it's wasn't understood by the royal family or described in much detail to others, even to the holders of the shifters.

ETA: But if Willy genuinely thinks Eren has the ability to send out tens of millions of titans, isn't his declaration of war basically saying that the whole world should pick a fight with an enemy that might flatten them at any provocation? Doesn't anyone realize how insane this sounds?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 11, 2021

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My take on this ep is that it was quite good but they really hosed up not including the shot of the blissfully unaware Eldian family during the split second that Eren destroys the apartment building. That... should have been left in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

net cafe scandal posted:

My take on this ep is that it was quite good but they really hosed up not including the shot of the blissfully unaware Eldian family during the split second that Eren destroys the apartment building. That... should have been left in.

I think you still might see that. They've done stuff like this before and moved shots from the manga around in episodes. We might see it in a flashback after the attack, or maybe even in the lead up to next episode.

Its an important shot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Disclaimer: After last episode I caved and watched up to this part in the manga because I'd been spoiled on it and I've been super impatient to get to it this whole season.

Eren just straight up destroying a building of innocent people definitely hits the mark on war making monsters of everyone but at the same time he did at least wait until after Marley declared their intention to annihilate his people. Considering the hundreds of thousands of deaths they've already caused it's hard for me to really condemn him on this one.

re: Eren killing innocents upon destroying the building. This is something I've seen people comment in other forums, surprised how Eren killed innocents.
We are talking here of a full-on war between two nations. Thousands of innocents are going to die in any case, if a traditional war in WW1/WW2-ish style occurs. Hell, being cynical and forgetting for a moment how horrible it is, an titan/air strike that kills most of the enemy leadership in a swift attack could save lives on the long run, by shortening dramatically the war (in exchange of the dozens of innocents killed in that moment).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also Eren killing innocents is the whole point of the episode. He confronted the man responsible for destroying his home and killing his family, but rather than showing his previously characteristic anger he can only acknowledge that he's about to do the same thing for largely the same reasons.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I also remembered that this isn't the first time that Eren destroyed a building full of innocent civilians. Even Annie was horrified in their fight after he just threw her into a church.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I also remembered that this isn't the first time that Eren destroyed a building full of innocent civilians. Even Annie was horrified in their fight after he just threw her into a church.

Correct, but then he was fighting for his life and tried to stop a rampaging Titan. This time he consciously decided to transform inside a building full of innocent civilians, after having pointed out this fact to Reiner to make him stand down.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Are they Eldian? They aren't wearing armbands.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Marleyans don't live in the internment zone. They don't have to wear the armbands in their own homes.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

General thoughts upon further reflection (and a rewatch):
[Deleted because this I might have thrown out something too close, doing it with other posts as well. Sorry!]

ETA: I really liked this one.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 13, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm wondering if the endgame is to unite the entire world, including Eldians, against Eren, then have him "defeated" somehow, and leaving the world with a happy ending where everyone gets along with Eldians like they do the Tyburs.

Having the whole thing in the Eldians district makes them very visible victims to the rest of the world. Whereas if it was happening anywhere else it would be spun as more Eldian violence towards Marleyans or whomever.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm wondering if the endgame is to unite the entire world, including Eldians, against Eren, then have him "defeated" somehow, and leaving the world with a happy ending where everyone gets along with Eldians like they do the Tyburs.

Having the whole thing in the Eldians district makes them very visible victims to the rest of the world. Whereas if it was happening anywhere else it would be spun as more Eldian violence towards Marleyans or whomever.

Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable as part of the endgame, and would tie into the "no one actually knows the whole truth" theme we've been seeing.

Btw, anyone want to place bets on how Udo and/or Zofia will die next episode?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Well Willy's plan as stated certainly doesn't make much sense to me. It's basically, hey everyone these guys on Paradis used to be chill, but we should definitely go to war with them now that they have an unstoppable doomsday device.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

My previous speculation for the endgame would be that the heroes destroy all of Marley's stores of Titan serum and all ability to manufacture more and get the Collosal Titans in the walls to clean up the island of stray Titans and then walk into volcano's or Levi or something. With all the Titans on Paradis dead and no more able to be made, all the Shifters would just let themselves die naturally without passing it on to finally get rid of all Titans in the world and rid all the 'taint' from the Eldian's.

But I feel like that's too optimistic for this series. The 'good one' Willy Tybur said he wished the Eldians would be wiped out and apparently the rest of the world makes Marley look kind towards them. I think that with their use as war assets diminishing and without the threat of mutual destruction that the walls represent the world would probably just wipe out the Eldians if they had the chance. There needs to be some assurance for the Eldians to be able to survive.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 11, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Well Willy's plan as stated certainly doesn't make much sense to me. It's basically, hey everyone these guys on Paradis used to be chill, but we should definitely go to war with them now that they have an unstoppable doomsday device.
If they have an unstoppable doomsday device that they intend to use against you regardless then the only chance would be to try and disable it by attacking first. Although this obviously works a lot less well if the enemy you thought was still preparing is actually ready to kill you at any second.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Help me, my brain is eating itself with theories. [Deleted because this I might have thrown out something too close, doing it with other posts as well. Sorry!]

ETA: My other half is now making fake beard jokes. What did I unleash?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nephthys posted:

all the Shifters would just let themselves die naturally without passing it on
If they do that doesn't it just go to a random Eldian baby somewhere in the world?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If they have an unstoppable doomsday device that they intend to use against you regardless then the only chance would be to try and disable it by attacking first. Although this obviously works a lot less well if the enemy you thought was still preparing is actually ready to kill you at any second.

I thought about that, but an open declaration of war seems to really undermine the surprise element. So I'm leaning towards there being another layer somewhere.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sindai posted:

If they do that doesn't it just go to a random Eldian baby somewhere in the world?

I think that's what someone said, but I don't recall who said it and whether there's a chance it might not actually work that way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is a baby titan smaller or does the baby scrape its knee and let off a nuclear detonation as the Colossal Titan appears

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sindai posted:

If that's how it works I've completely forgotten and the Eldian's are fuuuucked. You'd need to do some crazy time travel poo poo to get out of that one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Maera Sior posted:

Help me, my brain is eating itself with theories. I keep on going back to the part with the soldier that I thought was Armin, but now I'm not sure. The voice isn't a match, but it's been 4 years and Armin's voice may have finally dropped (and I'm not sure what the voice actor sounds like in other roles). There is a very fake beard going on, which could be Armin or not. The person is clearly in on some plan with Zeke, which could be Armin (if Zeke has been in communication with Eren and the others regarding his plans) or someone else. Combine the time skip and the change of art style, and the face shot (which sort of looked like Armin) isn't enough by itself. It makes some sense for Armin to be on the ground in Marley, but we also know that the Colossal Titan is most powerful when not out in the open. The two strongest pieces of evidence pointing to it not being Armin are that Pieck thinks she recognizes this soldier (and we didn't see any part where Pieck and Armin crossed paths) and it seems weird that Armin would need to wear a fake beard in Marley when he's not from there. Of course, with a four year timeskip, we don't know what we don't know.

Send help. I don't know how to survive another 6 days.

ETA: My other half is now making fake beard jokes. What did I unleash?

FWIW I thought it was Annie.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Natural 20 posted:

That's..... Not a bad theory.

One thing that struck me as odd was that activating the titan pit trap required cutting a rope. Why not just have a lever or something?

Well knife combat is a very Annie thing, so maybe that was a bit of a hint.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Basically this.

P-Mack posted:

I thought about that, but an open declaration of war seems to really undermine the surprise element. So I'm leaning towards there being another layer somewhere.

Seeing as the Tyburs knew of the Vow to Renounce War, which wasn't public knowledge (but that the Marleyan brass was privy to), it's not much of a stretch to assume they are aware how the Founding works and that Eren shouldn't be able to make use of the full extent of its power without Royal blood - but there is truth in that leaving the Founder in the hands of Paradis is dangerous since they could potentially figure out limited ways to use it, or even how to unlock its power while sidestepping the Vow.

Maera Sior posted:

I think that's what someone said, but I don't recall who said it and whether there's a chance it might not actually work that way.

Eren said it; it was in Grisha's journal.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What an episode. This is wonderful. Everything makes sense, everyone's actions make sense, you feel sorry for everyone even Reiner, and yet there are still mysteries! This show is the best!

I couldn't work out who that soldier who led Pieck into the hole was. I don't think it's Armin, the voice is wrong (doesn't Armin always do the Next Time segments?)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They may have just underestimated the intelligence gathering capabilities of the island full of medieval people who until recently didn't know the outside world existed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maera Sior posted:

The voice isn't a match, but it's been 4 years and Armin's voice may have finally dropped (and I'm not sure what the voice actor sounds like in other roles).

This is funny to me because I don't believe the production team thought they'd eventually have a 20+ yo Armin in the story when they initially cast Inoue Marina for him. She's voiced other young men, though; her range is pretty good.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Whoever it was definitely didn't have Annie's nose, but that would be quite a reveal and I like your idea for that alone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Annie was mentioned in this episode. That said if Paradis worked out how to extract her I think they'd much sooner eat her and take her power than try to convince her to change sides.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Annie was mentioned in this episode. That said if Paradis worked out how to extract her I think they'd much sooner eat her and take her power than try to convince her to change sides.

Mikasa titan...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Mikasa titan...

Is she even Eldian?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mikasa titan would be frightening AF. What an awesome reveal that would be if true!

Anyway the only two people that "officer" could be is Armin or (wildcard) Zeke

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

Is she even Eldian?

Half, from that wierd bodyguard of the king bloodline that Levy is a part of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Is she even Eldian?

Yes, but she's an Ackerman, and the rules are weird for Ackermans. They've got the power of Titans in a fun-sized package, and they're immune to the mindwipes, so we don't know if they can go full sized titan or not.

(She could in a gag page at the end of a volume of the manga, and in a hallucination in one of the OVAs, but until we get Baggy Pants Leon saving the survey corps, fake previews are, well, fake.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If she can transform it would be a good trick, no-one would suspect she's an Eldian. Could be with the Japanese(?) contingent.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I think the soldier is Armin. My theory is that Pieck vaguely recalls seeing Armin's burned body from when she and Zeke visited Eren while running from Levi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

(She could in a gag page at the end of a volume of the manga, and in a hallucination in one of the OVAs, but until we get Baggy Pants Leon saving the survey corps, fake previews are, well, fake.)

It's real in my heart.