Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

This show is written like pro wrestling - absolutely anybody can do a face or a heel turn at any moment. I fully expect Hawk and Tori to be redeemed in S4.

Everyone unites to stand together against Karate's Bad Boy™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

This show is written like pro wrestling - absolutely anybody can do a face or a heel turn at any moment. I fully expect Hawk and Tori to be redeemed in S4.

I mean, Hawk is already redeemed? He flipped in the middle of the big fight at the La Russo house and by wrestling rules if you face turn in the middle of a fight it makes everything good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He has to make up for being a huge dick for 2 seasons.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Karate Pro Wrestling is something we 100% need

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah exactly, the show just shuffles characters around. Sooner or later Daniel is going to team up with kreese for some reason

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah exactly, the show just shuffles characters around. Sooner or later Daniel is going to team up with kreese for some reason

Secret word to activate his Cobra Kai programming from Terry Silver. Mike Barnes, Karate's Bad Boy, swoops in go beat the sense back into him. Then Daniel, Johnny, Chozen, and Mike team up to fight Mecha-Kreese.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
When does the son that Miyagi fathered onto Auntie in KK2 when they reunited show up?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lol the actors will be in their mid to late 20s playing high school kids.

Worked fine for every high school show in history, and they usually only *start* in their 20s.

Friday night lights is a notable example.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

wooger posted:

Worked fine for every high school show in history, and they usually only *start* in their 20s.

Friday night lights is a notable example.

Friday Night Lights is funny to me because Riggins kept getting deaged from how old he should have been in the pilot.

edit:

What exactly did they shoot in Okinawa? Just some of the Chozen scenes?

The Kumiko scenes were shot in Atlanta.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/reprise-her-karate-kid-role-204635077.html

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 9, 2021

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Spacebump posted:

Friday Night Lights is funny to me because Riggins kept getting deaged from how old he should have been in the pilot.

edit:

What exactly did they shoot in Okinawa? Just some of the Chozen scenes?

The Kumiko scenes were shot in Atlanta.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/reprise-her-karate-kid-role-204635077.html

This is good interview. She was an elector!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Given the amount of product placement in this season, was anyone else a little weirded out that they decided to use a made-up car company as the reason Daniel travels to Japan? And that they used a name as weird as “Doyona”?

I have a conspiracy theory that they shot it with all the characters saying “Toyota” but at some point Toyota decided they didn’t want to be involved so they had to go back and dub it with something that sounded like but was legally distinct from Toyota, hence “Doyona.”

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I found Karate Kid 2 to be the definition of "eh, that was fine" but found the Okinawa material to be sentimenal and effective and definitely hit me in the feels.

I bumped into an old friend from college after ten years apart, and those episodes NAILED how strange and uplifting and contemplative those types of moments are.

I also found some of the material with Johnny to be a bit off this year. Like I get why he'd choose Miguel over LITERALLY Robby, but ouch. Just outch. Seeing him burn Robby and Bobby (hah) at the same time really hurt, you know?

I also did not expect that the season would drill down so heavily on the consequences of the school fight. Unexpectedly fun to see Sam try to lead Miyagi-do, but I was happy to see them get the poo poo thoroughly kicked out of them since, realistically, they had no shot in hell. Them losing Robby is a hell of a lot bigger of a loss than Cobra Kai losing Miguel just in terms of raw ability. Plus you throw in that Team Sam hadn't actually been practicing and didn't even have a sensei at the same time that Kreese is training his soldiers every day.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I really want to visit Okinawa now.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

OldSenileGuy posted:

Given the amount of product placement in this season, was anyone else a little weirded out that they decided to use a made-up car company as the reason Daniel travels to Japan? And that they used a name as weird as “Doyona”?

I have a conspiracy theory that they shot it with all the characters saying “Toyota” but at some point Toyota decided they didn’t want to be involved so they had to go back and dub it with something that sounded like but was legally distinct from Toyota, hence “Doyona.”

It did bother me, and that explanation makes absolutely perfect sense

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Say "doyona" and "toyota" into a mirror. It's the same mouth movements :aaa:

I think this is a real thing lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Narcissus1916 posted:

I also found some of the material with Johnny to be a bit off this year. Like I get why he'd choose Miguel over LITERALLY Robby, but ouch. Just outch. Seeing him burn Robby and Bobby (hah) at the same time really hurt, you know?

This was the only thing about this season that I really hated, because it was so loving contrived. He could have said, "hey, I love Miguel and I want to be here for him but I also have a literal son in prison that I need to attend to, and I will come back to check on Miguel later." Like, a million ways you could have written around this that would have been more believable and still be able to have Robby make the choice he did.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The only rationale I could come up with is that Johnny really, really wanted to get back in Carmen's good graces after she had rightfully iced him out.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Simone Magus posted:

Say "doyona" and "toyota" into a mirror. It's the same mouth movements :aaa:

I think this is a real thing lol

I didn't pay alot of attention, but I thought most of the cars in the dealership were mostly Lexus' (luxury Toyota's rebadged for Western market) in previous seasons, and this one even had a bunch of Prius' on the show floor.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Isometric Bacon posted:

I didn't pay alot of attention, but I thought most of the cars in the dealership were mostly Lexus' (luxury Toyota's rebadged for Western market) in previous seasons, and this one even had a bunch of Prius' on the show floor.

Yep! I noticed because my car is one of those "made by Lexus, branded as a Toyota".

I guess Toyota didn't want to be explicitly associated with face kicking

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Mexican Netflix has a hell of an ad team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_FEjxAaEI

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every single person in that commercial looks like they can body everyone in the actual show.

loving sick .why can't americans get on that hype train

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Is that what they look like in the Mexican version? Because, uhhh, I don't need to speak Spanish to watch that show.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Nah, the sensei is a memestar from a barrio gym in Mexico city, made famous for his attitude and catchphrases ("don't fear success, daddy-o")... he's a pretty cool dude from what I gather! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jLhQ2mzpU

They've done that sort of thing before, like with this mind-boggling Dark ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0SxC6vqXFo

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

My unofficial kid actor rankings, referring to the character because I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB.

3) Hawk. I wish the show gave him more opportunities to reflect on how much he's turned into a rampaging rear end in a top hat, but the actor really taps into that over-the-top objectively hilarious swagger some kids in high school have.

I'm quoting myself, and that's absurd. But I finally finished season 3 and yeah - Jacob Betrand just loving crushes it as Hawk. I think all the kids got good new opportunities to explore their character (With the exception of Robby, but the show neatly turns that into a meta joke about how much everyone forgets about the dude - and how easy it is for Kreese to come in).

Sam as a leader, Miguel's rehab, the look into Tori's family, even Demetri's "I'm not entirely a nerd" nerdness.

And yet Betrand really manages to tap into Eli/Hawk so well. He's got some big plot-heavy emotional moments, but I think my favorite scene in the season might be him with Kyler and Bruck in the dojo. There's this moment where you can see him literally quivering in fear as Eli fighting against his gently caress YEAH Hawk-dom, and its just so satisfying to watch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

El Pipila posted:

Mexican Netflix has a hell of an ad team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_FEjxAaEI

I'm legit angry that this isn't an official Mexican series of the show.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

They've also mentioned Audi several times, and I think the Larussos drive Audis.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

I fairly certian the dealership car brand changes between season 1 and 2. (prob because of sponsors.) I wasn't paying as close attention in s3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm legit angry that this isn't an official Mexican series of the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I fairly certian the dealership car brand changes between season 1 and 2. (prob because of sponsors.) I wasn't paying as close attention in s3.

They have multiple dealerships.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

They have multiple dealerships.

I know that, I'm thought the main dealership that is featured had car brands switch between seasons. It's just a different ad so I didn't think much of it. I'll have to go back and rewatch the first two seasons at some point to see if I confused dealership locations.

This reminds me, in season 3 was the other Car dealer trying to buy just 1 of Daniel's dealerships or all of them? It kind of sounded like just 1 (because they mentioned the location) but I might have missed a line and it seems weird Daniel and Amanda would react that way over 1.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. It sounded like Daniel's competitor was buying his entire business, but his Audi dealership or whatever it is wouldn't really be on the table. I file it under, "the karate show is stupid; don't ask questions."

I mostly find it funny that "Doyona" Corporate in Tokyo would drop a successful SoCal dealership because...*checks notes*...some local teenagers got into a brawl at their high school, and the dealership's owner who wasn't involved in the incident happens to moonlight as a karate instructor for some of them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. It sounded like Daniel's competitor was buying his entire business, but his Audi dealership or whatever it is wouldn't really be on the table. I file it under, "the karate show is stupid; don't ask questions."

I mostly find it funny that "Doyona" Corporate in Tokyo would drop a successful SoCal dealership because...*checks notes*...some local teenagers got into a brawl at their high school, and the dealership's owner who wasn't involved in the incident happens to moonlight as a karate instructor for some of them.

If a full blown school karate riot didn't make national news, then it must've been a very busy news day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On any given school day, there's a significant chance that a mass shooting happened in another school

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Trump's in office. There was a suicide bombing on Christmas Day and people have forgotten about it already. A karate brawl would be maybe go viral on Twitter until something stupider happened an hour or two later

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finished S3 and I think it's my least favorite so far. I'm not sure, but it seems like each season tips too far into the cheesy element and doesn't straddle the fence as well as S1 did. But that could just be the diminishing returns on my expectations, which were ground level when I first heard about this show.

It just seemed like the over the top poo poo went really over the top this time. It still had its moments but my eye-roll-o-meter was registering really high. I'll list examples at some point when I have more time to effort post

The ending felt really abrupt as well.

Prediction: Johnny's selfie with Ally is gonna be his undoing since he doesn't know how to erase poo poo from his phone and FB. Carmen is gonna find that photo.

Are we still doing spoilers?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If she breaks with him cause he took a selfie with a girl he dated twenty years ago, then johnny dodged a loving bullet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaius Marius posted:

If she breaks with him cause he took a selfie with a girl he dated twenty years ago, then johnny dodged a loving bullet.

Wasn't he like kissing her in one shot though? Plus if I remember right he blew her off to go on the date and also didn't tell her about it. Speaking of which, where was Miguel the night Carm spent the night with Johnny? Wouldn't he wonder where his mom was?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't he like kissing her in one shot though? Plus if I remember right he blew her off to go on the date and also didn't tell her about it. Speaking of which, where was Miguel the night Carm spent the night with Johnny? Wouldn't he wonder where his mom was?

Probably just with his grandma. Isn't she a nurse? So she could have told him she was working a late shift.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OldSenileGuy posted:

anyone else a little weirded out that they decided to use a made-up car company as the reason Daniel travels to Japan? And that they used a name as weird as “Doyona”?

They weren’t saying Toyota? Are you sure?

I binged it pretty quick, but definitely noticed then say Toyota in the Okinawa shot bits.

Would they re-dub it post release after an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

wooger posted:

They weren’t saying Toyota? Are you sure?

I binged it pretty quick, but definitely noticed then say Toyota in the Okinawa shot bits.

Would they re-dub it post release after an issue?

They definitely say Doyona. There's a Fx shot of a large building in Tokyo with it written on a tower.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as others suspected, they found they couldn't use the word Toyota and had to dub it afterwards, or otherwise they just did a soundalike anyway since it was a large plot point where they represent people from the company as characters.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2021