Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

should also note that weasels have crazy metabolisms and need to eat something like half their own weight in food a day, which is pretty nuts for an obligate carnivore. partly due to this they also cache food so when the opportunity presents itself (like a henhouse) their instincts tell them to stock up

weasel thread 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

free hubcaps posted:

should also note that weasels have crazy metabolisms and need to eat something like half their own weight in food a day, which is pretty nuts for an obligate carnivore. partly due to this they also cache food so when the opportunity presents itself (like a henhouse) their instincts tell them to stock up

weasel thread 2.0
Considering that lions can get a way with eating less than a twentieth of their body weight every four days, it can really not be overstated how utterly nuts that is.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Weasels own. Top tier animals all around imo

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah. They're just trying to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_tL122R6g

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 8, 2020

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So they get into a predatory feedback loop? Almost makes them sound like land sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Red Queen posted:

So they get into a predatory feedback loop? Almost makes them sound like land sharks in a feeding frenzy.
From what I've read that's a pretty good comparison, except instead of the smell of blood it's the quick movements and panicked escape attempts of prey animals that triggers it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the xenomorph can't really help it either if all the humans are going to act like frightened prey animals all the time

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

This big friend was in my yard today, doing the job the dog is supposed to be doing

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Enjoy your new dog :swoon:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Today I saw two bald eagles try to catch a duck. The duck escaped.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sounds like an omen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Squeeze in one more Critter before 2021:

Giant (though this guy is still pretty small) Pacific Salamander:

About 7" long! Still a bb but the largest I've ever had show up in my yard.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

He's got such a serious look on his face, like he's thinking about all his problems.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Red Queen posted:

He's got such a serious look on his face, like he's thinking about all his problems.

Torpor is the ennui of the animal world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw my weasel friend again! something book it away from the house when I let my dog out, thinking it was a chipmunk. Then my hamster, who was hanging out in my shirt while my dog did her thing, started being very vocal about being disturbed while she slept. The weasel must have heard that because it periscope'd it's upper body out of the snow and looked directly at me. Cute lil' murderer

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Literally A Person posted:

Squeeze in one more Critter before 2021:

Giant (though this guy is still pretty small) Pacific Salamander:

About 7" long! Still a bb but the largest I've ever had show up in my yard.

Pretty sure that's a Northwestern salamander. You can tell by the huge poison glands and ribbing down the body. Pacific giants have marbled coloration too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Pretty sure that's a Northwestern salamander. You can tell by the huge poison glands and ribbing down the body. Pacific giants have marbled coloration too.

You're totally right! Sorry, we have about *checks watch* nine billion types of newts/salamanders here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Huge poison glands" feels almost like an understatement there. If you hadn't confirmed that as normal, I'd think it was some kind of swelling or infection. It looks practically bloated.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cardiovorax posted:

"Huge poison glands" feels almost like an understatement there. If you hadn't confirmed that as normal, I'd think it was some kind of swelling or infection. It looks practically bloated.

That’s genus Ambystoma in a nutshell, yeah

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I found this in my kitchen in Maryland:

Any idea what it is? I can take more photos if needed.

If this doesn't count as wild because I found it in my home, I can delete.

dirby fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 4, 2021

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dirby posted:

I found this in my kitchen in Maryland:

Any idea what it is? I can take more photos if needed.

Box Elder Bug, or at least, a very close relative

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, 90% percent chance that's a bog-standard Box Elder.

dirby posted:

If this doesn't count as wild because I found it in my home, I can delete.
Don't worry, we share stuff that was found inside homes here all the time. As long as it's not literally a pet, it's fine. You got any interesting critters in your basement, feel free to post.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, 90% percent chance that's a bog-standard Box Elder.
It looks just like some Box Elder pics online. Thanks to both of you.

quote:

As long as it's not literally a pet, it's fine. You got any interesting critters in your basement, feel free to post.
Sorry, the only other thing (aside from many pets) I tend to see are squash bugs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dirby posted:

Sorry, the only other thing (aside from many pets) I tend to see are squash bugs.
Well, if ever see anything interesting, just give it a shot. I once found a spider in my home that isn't even supposed to live on my continent and someone was able to promptly identify it! Turns out they were imported a few years ago and have spread a lot farther than anyone suspected. So, y'know, weirder things have happened.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Took an infrared nighttime safari at one of my local parks, and spotted some furry friends:

Grey-headed Flying Fox
These guys are very cute and a lot of fun to watch (although they are terribly messy as well).

Common Brushtail Possum
This guy literally bumped into my leg and gave us both a bit of a fright!

Sorry about the rubbish quality - I have shaky hands and my IR light isn't particularly powerful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Common Brushtail Possum
This guy literally bumped into my leg and gave us both a bit of a fright!

Sorry about the rubbish quality - I have shaky hands and my IR light isn't particularly powerful.
"Oh god, not a tree, not a tree! :byodood:"
Don't worry about the quality, those are great!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

These two rough-housed a bit before hanging out together.

Red-shouldered Hawks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're noisy bastards. I like them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My, that's one fluffy ball of feathers.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There was a crow trying to munch on a suet block I put out but it looked like it only succeeded in flapping all over the place and scattering stuff on the ground for the juncos to eat.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
enm

Shiney McShine fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 26, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unless you were intentionally namedropping yourself there, I'm afraid this isn't quite the kind of picture this thread is for. You're supposed to post photos that you made yourself.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think it's fine for the occasional good and cool bug pic to be posted, especially in the sense of "wow look at this thing I just learned about!" Critterquest is meant for local discoveries and photos and sharing, but sometimes that sense of joy comes from other places. :shobon:

I really like this candle-headed goof.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I forgot what thread I was in for a second and thought that was a photoshop of a katydid with a candle for a head like some kind of new Monster Train character.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Sorry, I probably should have explained before removing the photo, which wasn't mine obviously. The shot was taken by Andreas Kay, a German guy living in Ecuador. Sadly, he passed away last year from a brain tumour. I used to follow him on Flickr because of his absolutley incredible photography skills and not only that, the insects he photographed were always so unusually shaped and coloured, that many times you would swear they were photoshopped. He made all his photos available (to me and others) to download on Flickr and I just assumed that as long as his name was featured on the photo you showed to others, that would be OK.

Here's one of a fly that's definitely mine

https://imgur.com/gallery/DVacAGG

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Those eyes are hypnotic!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The Red Queen posted:

Those eyes are hypnotic!

:wink:

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Can someone help identify this bird? Southern California/inland empire, likes the peanut butter suet cake. Maybe a nuthatch? Sorry for the grainy photos.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Walrusmaster posted:

Can someone help identify this bird? Southern California/inland empire, likes the peanut butter suet cake. Maybe a nuthatch? Sorry for the grainy photos.

Bewick’s wren!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Bewick’s wren!

Wow, that looks spot on. Thanks!