Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Zamujasa posted:

and that's before you consider the fact that bitcoin is a gigantic waste of energy. storing your poo poo in gold takes basically zero energy, processing your transaction for a single coffee on the blockchain takes basically the entire energy usage of a small country

lol this reminded me of the batshit argument of cryptocurrency "energy storage"

anyone still kicking that horse? that one was crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also if the poo poo we integrate with is a surveillance machine then we have nothing to worry about from the surveillance state because it is goddamn awful at that and the customer has to hold its hand at every turn and provide information whenever possible for it to half-way function

pro tip for not being surveilled at the store: don't use the loyalty card, don't install the store app, and don't give them your information when they flat out ask and there's pretty much nothing at all else they can do about it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

That might be why you think this way. Using bitcoin instead of credit cards is a form of consumer protection.

Most scams work based off ignorance and gaining confidence. Why are you placing all this confidence in something that you have to rely on other people to explain to you? Who are you choosing to place your trust in, and why?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don't forget to add in hoa, seraph. but this is a great time to be buying in nyc, so good for you if the money actually comes through

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

also if the poo poo we integrate with is a surveillance machine then we have nothing to worry about from the surveillance state because it is goddamn awful at that and the customer has to hold its hand at every turn and provide information whenever possible for it to half-way function

pro tip for not being surveilled at the store: don't use the loyalty card, don't install the store app, and don't give them your information when they flat out ask and there's pretty much nothing at all else they can do about it

but what about the cameras that watch your every movement???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

That might be why you think this way. Using bitcoin instead of credit cards is a form of consumer protection.

Thank God it's impossible to track literally every bitcoin transaction with some sort of a ledger that is accessible to literally any person.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

oh gently caress off

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the customer protection of "fygm" when your chinese research chemicals either kill you or is just corn starch cut with some powdered sugar

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

y'know, the thing with no chargebacks. consumer protection.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look i just assumed that's what the bitcoin people were talking about when they said bitcoin was great for cp

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

at least xtal has added bad arguments into the mix of personal attacks and name calling for "debate" techniques, so baby steps

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you want a hedge against hyperinflation - buy some physical gold or silver, guns, land or other physical assets that have intrinsic value. If you want out of the existing financial system or to overthrow the existing social order, join a commune and barter for everything you can.

Don't blindly buy into a technologist delusion about the internet and cryptography placing you beyond the reach of nation states. The internet is fracturing and the idiocy that just happened in the US is going to accelerate it as governments move to protect their populations from disinformation campaigns.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

man when i start work every morning i just love thinking about all the new ways i can gently caress up consumers, gently caress yeah, take that you little shits

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

no one will care if you just leave and go live in the woods

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

at least xtal has added bad arguments into the mix of personal attacks and name calling for "debate" techniques, so baby steps

Huh?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

xtal posted:

please protect me from being able to perform charge backs if my card gets stolen, i am so very scared

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boxturret posted:

no one will care if you just leave and go live in the woods

Many people don't know that you can literally do this in the US. A backwoods recreation permit for national forests is $7 a year. In a medicaid expansion state with a maximum SNAP benefit you can literally go live in the woods for the rest of your life.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

definitely never stayed at work until 1 AM hunting down and emergency fixing a problem that was causing people to occasionally not get refunds quickly or anything, nope. i spend all my time finding new ways to gently caress over you, the purchasing public, just for the pleasure i get from appeasing my capitalist overlords

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

definitely never stayed at work until 1 AM hunting down and emergency fixing a problem that was causing people to occasionally not get refunds quickly or anything, nope. i spend all my time finding new ways to gently caress over you, the purchasing public, just for the pleasure i get from appeasing my capitalist overlords

You must not work for NCS.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

bless you, i hope soros pays you well

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

5. Bitcoin requires more suckers putting money in for anyone to take money out. It has no inherent value (like gold or silver). When too much money leaves the system, the electricity costs will cause the infrastructure to collapse.

I dunno why I'm typing all this out.

This is literally the definition of a Ponzi scheme. Except for the electricity part, that makes it even stupider.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

but enough about xtal's posts

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

In the US the AM radio stations all sell gold as an "investment" or a "hedge against collapse of currency". They say it will protect you against the "federal reserve stealing your money through inflation". They never provide concrete reasons these things are true other than your own imagination.

They use a US libertarian narrative to get people that otherwise wouldn't buy gold to buy gold. They use the ideologically driven people to raise the price so they can take profit. Sometimes they involve complex schemes and they collapse - read about the liberty reserve.

Unlike gold - bitcoin has no potential floor. People will always want gold for jewelry making, electronics, chemistry, and it's other physical properties. Any similar claims about bitcoin are bunk. If the ecosystem collapses all you have are some cryptographic keys and an extremely large file of transactions.

it's worse than that. they don't sell gold (which is heavily regulated), they sell ~*collectible gold coins*~ (which aren't) that they keep in storage for you, for a fee of course

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Gobbeldygook posted:

frisbee on a roof isn't a problem because nobody uses bitcoin and those that do mostly do transactions off-chain on exchanges. the few people using it would not really notice or care if 90% of hash power suddenly disappeared and now every block took an average of 100 minutes. the users most affected would be the tiny, tiny number of people using it for face to face/retail transactions.

And we know this because precisely this thing happened in September 2017 during the bcAsh wars. BTC block times went over an hour. Nobody cared because all the action was on exchanges.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

xtal posted:

Using bitcoin instead of credit cards is a form of consumer protection.

if you buy things one of the things you buy might accidentally harm you, since businesses don't take bitcoin but do take credit cards, if you use bitcoin you can't buy anything and thus are protected, logic is sound

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xtal posted:

Using bitcoins which are irreversible and god help you if you get the wallet ID wrong is a form of consumer protection? my sides are in orbit

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
there is no possible consumption under anarcoinism

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

orange juche posted:

Using bitcoins which are irreversible and god help you if you get the wallet ID wrong is a form of consumer protection? my sides are in orbit

just like bitcoins. to the moon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

there is no possible consumption under anarcoinism

You cannot consume a bit coin, it is electrons!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

divabot posted:

And we know this because precisely this thing happened in September 2017 during the bcAsh wars. BTC block times went over an hour. Nobody cared because all the action was on exchanges.

I think you remember it wrong, or confuse BTC with BCH - I don't see anything apart from a few short spikes at https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bitcoin-confirmationtime.html#log where the average confirmation time was like 18 minutes instead of 10. In contrast, BCH had some periods where the average block time was wayy above one hour.

You might also conflate it with the dec 2017/jan 2018 mempool flood, where you had to pay like dozens of dollars to get your transaction into a block in a reasonable timeframe, and people started using BCH to move money across exchanges instead. But even then, blocks were generated at a statistically steady rate

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ymgve posted:

I think you remember it wrong, or confuse BTC with BCH - I don't see anything apart from a few short spikes at https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bitcoin-confirmationtime.html#log where the average confirmation time was like 18 minutes instead of 10. In contrast, BCH had some periods where the average block time was wayy above one hour.

You might also conflate it with the dec 2017/jan 2018 mempool flood, where you had to pay like dozens of dollars to get your transaction into a block in a reasonable timeframe, and people started using BCH to move money across exchanges instead. But even then, blocks were generated at a statistically steady rate

That's showing the average for each day. If ~12 blocks took an hour and the rest took ~10 minutes that'd be an 18 minute average block time for that day.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there was definitely a time where a block or two took over an hour to confirm

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trust dracula he would never lead you wrong

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Boxturret posted:

there was definitely a time where a block or two took over an hour to confirm

yes, that happens semi-regularly as it’s all a random distribution. so you might risk standing around for an hour now and then to pay for the bitcoin tacos

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

i just wanted to lol about how low the delta between these charts is still

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

sustainable growth.tiff

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
When I say Frisbee on the Roof I'm talking about a theoretical scenario where a huge percentage of hashing power evaporates. My understanding is that it could take up to 2016 blocks to re-adjust difficulty. China severing itself from the internet, turning up the great firewall, etc. Or mass unprofitability from an energy shock. It could take *substantially* longer than the normal interval to solve a block. Transactions would stack up substantially as throughput dropped.

Bringing more hash power online elsewhere could help mitigate, but if it's unprofitable you'd be depending on the kindness of strangers to pull through the next few difficulty adjustments. Bitcoin core devs *could* just push a patch, but so much for decentralized uncontrollable libertarian fun bux.

Am I wrong about this?

Other people have pointed out that no one actually uses the blockchain. Just the exchanges. Which if you're still reading this xtal means centralization, which means it can be controlled by governments. A lot of people become unbanked (unbanking the banked) due to bitcoin and trying to avoid admitting they were engaging in back alley financial deals.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you would have to take out a lot of the current mining poo poo for that. even if you drop 50% of the wasted power overnight you're just looking at doubling the average wait

and as was said, most of the shitcoin stuff happens off the actual chain in exchanges

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Zamujasa posted:

you would have to take out a lot of the current mining poo poo for that. even if you drop 50% of the wasted power overnight you're just looking at doubling the average wait

and as was said, most of the shitcoin stuff happens off the actual chain in exchanges

IIRC at some point 70% of hash power was in the PRC. The great firewall and link latency (along with manipulation - cutting hashing power) were cited as the reason for higher than average fees. Has the mining pool become more globally distributed since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
finding where the actual miners are located is difficult, but this site has some info on mining power, at least for blocks mined.