Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kashimashi is an older one but if you don't mind wacky gender bender stuff from the 2000s with some mildly weird jokes in the first few eps it pretty much settles into a lesbian romance starring a lead who is written as being more comfortable identifying as a girl than she was when people viewed her as a guy, to the point that the ova opens with someone asking her if she'd ever go back and her just saying "nah i like this". its writing is kinda plain but the premise is interesting and avoids the worse pitfalls you could expect

a manga about a hero who pulled out the holy sword also kinda fits there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

There's Kyou Kara Yonshimai, where the trans character is revealed to have a girlfriend. Just, uh, be prepared for angst and cis nonsense

there's also the childhood friend yuri 4koma that got expanded out. short but sweet

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/childhood_friend_yuri

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://mangadex.org/title/6321/mermaid-line
there's "Ayumi and Aika" from this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
how the gently caress did none of you people mention double house

its only 3 chapters and it barely has an ending or even a plot arc but its an incredibly good manga

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was about to say yeah.
Also i like hero who pulled the sword

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

classic MTF troubles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

how the gently caress did none of you people mention double house

its only 3 chapters and it barely has an ending or even a plot arc but its an incredibly good manga

i didnt know it existed... now i do

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, neither did I. It's fun to discover new stuff based on recs. :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

speaking of, they have a new series
https://mangadex.org/title/59151

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'd also never heard of Double House before. Gosh darn that was good. It's disappointing to not hAve more beyond those three chapters but still, I wouldn't trust people to write trans stuff that well nowadays, never mind in 1998

Koko is so good

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's been a while since i read double house, but big :same: to maho, where you're a few years into your transition but it wasn't a magic cure all for your life. relatable content for something made a few years after my birth

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Snooze Cruise posted:

speaking of, they have a new series
https://mangadex.org/title/59151

"So it turned out my school was actually just positively filled with lesbian trans women waiting to come out..."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snooze Cruise posted:

I was about to say yeah.

It’s good

lih
May 15, 2013

https://mangadex.org/title/40317/ore-ga-watashi-ni-naru-made

this is surprisingly good about growing up with gender issues, much better than i would have thought from the description & premise

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1162047/1

When did s/he start wearing pads?

Regardless: cute.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I finally got around to reading "Run Away With Me, Girl" and wow, what a lovely romance! Just a wonderful, fun read.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

lih posted:

this is surprisingly good about growing up with gender issues, much better than i would have thought from the description & premise

I tried reading this, but I just can't. It's not because of its quality or anything like that, it's because every time the protagonist gets dysphoria or has something bad happen to them it's just too big of an Oof for me to stomach.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

I finally got around to reading "Run Away With Me, Girl" and wow, what a lovely romance! Just a wonderful, fun read.

I appreciated the line it walks between melodrama and optimism a whole lot it was great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Blessed content

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We stan a straight GNC couple :hai:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i just watched zombie land saga and now i ship ai x junko and sakura x saki hard.

lily is also amazing

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

lih posted:

Isn't this sort of the opposite of a trans-inclusive story? It's about someone who's gender doesn't match up with their body, so they have to change their gender to match their body?

In terms of a story about learning not to bully people and all, it achieves its goal fine, but if you're reading this for a trans-positive one, it's like the opposite of that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't this sort of the opposite of a trans-inclusive story? It's about someone who's gender doesn't match up with their body, so they have to change their gender to match their body?

In terms of a story about learning not to bully people and all, it achieves its goal fine, but if you're reading this for a trans-positive one, it's like the opposite of that.

I guess "gender issues" is pretty broad but yeah, it's about getting comeuppance for misogyny with a curse that the person learns not only to live with but to embrace, not really about trans stuff.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I guess gender dysphoria could be resolved either way, but the medical evidence is that changing the gender to match the sex is ineffective, but the reverse is effective.

Edit: this oversimplifies it since it ignores intersex, but ya know.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nitrousoxide posted:

i get where you're coming from and you're not wrong, but in general when trans people read stories about someone suddenly ending up in a new body like that, you can assume they're going "oh no, it sure would be unfortunate if that happened to me" in the flattest of monotones

lih
May 15, 2013

i didn't say it was a 'trans-inclusive' story and obviously it isn't directly about the real world experience of being trans, but there's enough similarities that i as a trans person got a lot out of it, certainly much more than from most genderswap stories.

it's not really about like, wish fulfilment, either, it's more that akira's experiences are pretty relatable to me, even if they're not always in the same direction gender-wise as mine. there's straight up gender dysphoria, feeling alienated from both genders due to ending up in an awkward in-between of sorts, struggles to adjust to a new gender presentation, general identity issues, etc.

there's a lot more there than a ham-fisted "bullying is bad!" which is all i expected from the premise and didn't really think it would have anything interesting or relatable to say about gender at all

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Even as a trans women I still feel alot of sympathy for that 'is it ok to like this traditionally-feminine thing or still like this traditionally-male thing' stuff as well as the over arching theme of self-acceptance and exploration as a whole

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stories let you write about many ways of experiencing feelings about gender. that is why stories good. saying this as the person who thinks kashimashi's exploration of gender is the most interesting thing in all of kashimashi.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 12, 2021

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
hi im a big gay and i anime. i haven't caught up with the whole thread yet but i've read kakeochi girl and i love love love it. thank you

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Short Vampeerz chapter :3

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1178164

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I just found out Venus from Heaven's Design Team is a trans woman and I love her already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSNe2Akc-g

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

... Wait, they're named after the planets??????

Goddamn, only now that I'm looking that I notice the planet names in their names in the anime.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Well, they could also be named after Roman gods.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Planets are cooler than gods, though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New FukaBoku

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1196809/1

lih
May 15, 2013

i feel like it's sort of a cop out for the dad to come around relatively easily just from the mum saying "look i read some books. lgbt is a real thing!" but i guess they want a happy ending and everything

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk i think how the memory of not caring so much about the baby's gender so much as that they're a precious new life hits him and softens his outlook ties in to the story really well

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a bit of a convenient ending but that's often been the case with some of the comic's drama and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
it's a bit after school special-y but i get what it's going for, and it's kinda hard to tie up all this stuff in just a few chapters. and i definitely appreciate them going for the happy ending. ofc it could have been a happy ending even if the parents were shittier, but still