Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

galenanorth posted:

I am 30 and therefore underqualified for the "over 30" thread.

What thread is that? Got a link? I love that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I decided to start watching The Girlfriend Experience show based on really enjoying Amy Seimetz’s last movie. Did anyone here watch it? I noticed Seimetz and her other co-writer/director for s1 split up and did their own separate seven-episode stories for s2, what’s the deal with that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't know they made a series out of that. And didn't even bring back Sasha Grey

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What thread is that? Got a link? I love that kind of stuff.

https://twitter.com/itxaropena/status/1347951968325677064

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

Didn't know they made a series out of that. And didn't even bring back Sasha Grey

I think the main reason being that she is a really terrible actress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The difference for the over 30 crowd is that we didn't have those events injected directly into our veins with 12 different versions of commentary coming at you simultaneously with half of them being conspiracy theories.

You often had to wait a whole 12 hours between news updates! A lot fewer first hand accounts and footage too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rhyno posted:

I think the main reason being that she is a really terrible actress.

Maybe it was the script, she has been great in everything else I have seen her in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

The difference for the over 30 crowd is that we didn't have those events injected directly into our veins with 12 different versions of commentary coming at you simultaneously with half of them being conspiracy theories.

You often had to wait a whole 12 hours between news updates! A lot fewer first hand accounts and footage too.

I think the first major news event like that for me was the Boston Bombing, where I was mainlining news from the GBS thread.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

I miss the days when conspiracy theories involved aliens and/or bigfoot who is also an alien, instead of Obama secretly running the government to make Trump look like an idiot.

I think the first major news event like that for me was the Boston Bombing, where I was mainlining news from the GBS thread.

And that was what only 7 years ago now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Iron Crowned posted:

And that was what only 7 years ago now?

Widespread smartphones have only been a thing for about 12 years. Really crazy to think about, just a little over a decade of having everything at your fingertips all the time.

Hurricane Katrina is one of the first events that I really followed for the whole day online. 2005 so no smartphones yet, but I was at a computer all day at work.

9/11 was virtually impossible to follow online at the time. The infrastructure damage at the WTC took down a ton of internet routes and no sites were able to keep up with the sudden increase in traffic anyways. I think it took about 10 minutes to load the front page of CNN on broadband.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

No, nothing ever happened before I turned 30.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i remember talking about 9/11, on 9/11, in the east commonlands in everquest

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Widespread smartphones have only been a thing for about 12 years. Really crazy to think about, just a little over a decade of having everything at your fingertips all the time.
L

Smartphones were a thing 12 years ago but I wouldn’t call them widespread til 2012 or so- I can’t find it now but there’s a graph of smartphone adoption rates over time and there’s a huge spike in the early 2010’s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smartphones were a thing 12 years ago but I wouldn’t call them widespread til 2012 or so- I can’t find it now but there’s a graph of smartphone adoption rates over time and there’s a huge spike in the early 2010’s.
Smartphones in 2008 weren't half as "connected" though. A few clicks and you stream to twitch, FB, YouTube, OnlyFans, etc.

Plus you couldn't really take/host 4k UHD HDR video like we do now. Things were barely better than the Rodney King footage for a long time.

I know this is confirmation bias, but I feel like a bunch of milestones in my like (38ish) was accompanied by these news events that everyone was watching.

Started High School and a month or two later Princess Di passes away and I stay up all night watching news and then watch/record her funeral.

Get out of high school, 9/11. poo poo's wild

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The first iPhone rolled out 14 years ago, and I think I was using my first BlackBerry in ... 2008, but Android 2, and the OG Motorola Droid (with the slide-out keyboard, and also the first phone to ship with Google Maps navigation pre-installed) alongside the rollout of 3G networks, dropped in late 2009, and I'd say that's around the time smartphones really entered the mainstream.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 11, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

Google Maps
poo poo I remember when they announced that was going mobile. Stock in Garmin dropped like a loving rock immediately.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

poo poo I remember when they announced that was going mobile. Stock in Garmin dropped like a loving rock immediately.

Yeah, that was a pretty huge seismic shift in the landscape. Not only did Garmin become a non-entity almost overnight, but Apple also realized that Google wasn't just dancing around in the smartphone OS space but rather actually intended to play. Google made a ton of mistakes in those early years of Android, some of which from which it will always be recovering, but the Maps thing on Android was huge and forced Apple to license Google Maps immediately so it didn't get lapped.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheAardvark posted:

about all I remember about 9/11 is I got the day off work because my office was in the evacuation zone around another potential target (the mall of america)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The level of shock around navigation on your phone that didn't require a monthly subscription charge was mind blowing.

Verizon charged like $5 /month for VZ Navigator (or $1 for 24 hour access.)

I briefly had a Windows Mobile phone Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 before jumping to a Moto Droid. Oh I remember being excited when I got flash working on the Droid so I could watch videos from websites since the app library wasn't too developed at that point. How things have changed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Print those directions off of mapquest and hope there's no traffic.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The January 6 Capitol riot was the first time I've mainlined news for hours for an event other than an election since Hurricane Katrina. During landfall, I watched CNN for hours. I browsed SomethingAwful as a lurker and saw some SimCity disaster memes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Renew Infinity Train HBO Max you cowards

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The death at the end of s3 is so unbelievably brutal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Now that Alex’s actor is a sex pest and Bobbie hasn’t had much to do this season, I nominate Amos for Best Expanse Character This Season Thus Far.

I was a little iffy on the premise of the Roci crew being so split up this season, but they’ve really made it work. The only plot I don’t really care about is Naomi’s, but that’s mostly because I can’t stand her son or Marco. Drummer seems a little underutilized as well, but that’s a tiny complaint and it looks like she’s about to have her plot folded into the larger arc of the season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheAardvark posted:

This hits me hard because on 9/11 they sent everyone home from work at noon and all I wanted to do was log on but my girlfriend at the time wanted to cry on the phone to me all night while she watched the news so I couldn't dial up and get online and I am a horrible person

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

First time I remember constantly being tuned in was when a forest fire hit my hometown in 2000. That wasn't due to constant news updates though, the news just kept repeating the same thing, it was just easy to get sucked into being a trauma zombie and I eventually managed to get a crowbar between my parents and the hotel television.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember the space shuttle explosion but none of the details of the day.
9/11 I was extremely hung over but remember my mom came over to wake me up and we sat there for 3 or 4 hours.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was working second shift when 9/11 happened and I remember going out to get some lunch during the day and the streets and parking lots of businesses were all empty. It was like a ghost town.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

I was working second shift when 9/11 happened and I remember going out to get some lunch during the day and the streets and parking lots of businesses were all empty. It was like a ghost town.

I worked for Borders at the time, the company had a location in one of the towers. We had a company wide vigil in the stores and as soon as they confirmed every employee got out we closed for the day.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For the 1986 Challenger disaster I was at home watching the launch because my parents let me skip school to watch because I was a space nerd.

For 9/11 I was asleep and my girlfriend called to tell me and I thought she said "We're being attacked by Paris" instead of "by terrorists" and I was really confused.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

On 9/11 I walked into Tower Records to buy the new CAKE and Ben Folds albums. The CAKE "Comfort Eagle" came with a free t-shirt.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember hearing that with The Flight Attendant it starts great and just gets worse and worse from there. Is that accurate? If I’m already finding myself bored and looking at my phone throughout the first two episodes should I just bail?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember hearing that with The Flight Attendant it starts great and just gets worse and worse from there. Is that accurate? If I’m already finding myself bored and looking at my phone throughout the first two episodes should I just bail?

I thought it started great and kept being great, but if you don't like the first two episodes, it's probably not for you.

I was pleasantly surprised by how surreal it was, with the whole recurring hotel dreamscape.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I was having a lymphadenctomy on the morning of 9/11 and when I came to, the hospital was on lockdown and everyone in Recovery was watching the TV instead of the patients. The horrified gasps of the nurses when the second plane hit is something that's stuck with me to this day.

In that moment, it felt like the world was ending in my then-drugged up teenaged mind.

Mu Zeta posted:

On 9/11 I walked into Tower Records to buy the new CAKE and Ben Folds albums. The CAKE "Comfort Eagle" came with a free t-shirt.

Those were some good choices. Commissioning a Symphony in C is still Cake's best song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Nah it’s pretty consistently good imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vanderdeath posted:

Those were some good choices. Commissioning a Symphony in C is still Cake's best song.

Cake rules but gets a ton of poo poo because by being easy to cover bar bands and the like overplayed the hell out of their songs in the late 90’s-2000’s.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I had been driving all day and was getting gas, someone came up to panhandle me for money and they were saying they needed the gas money so they could "go help those people in the destroyed part of new york city" and I was like "wtf are you talking about"". He just walked away instead of explaining but the radio quickly caught me up.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is how it felt for me. Production is pretty good, but story, acting and characters are pretty bland. I watched all of it because it never actually becomes grating or bad, but it was entirely unmemorable.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

TheAardvark posted:

We'd just wiped in Dragon Nec and the CR was just completely stalled by guild/ooc chat and I remember caring more about getting my corpse and a rez than whatever was going on in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My real first big news early memory is actually Reagan getting shot. I remember how school was a buzzed that day, but that is all I remember. Funny when I search my memory of early big events in my life the first one that comes to mind 'clearly' is the series finale of MASH of all things (ironic I post this in TVIV almost 38 years later). I know not news, but it was a big deal in 1983.

On 9/11 we had a cafeteria at work with a TV. Everyone keep migrating that way as it became a reality that we were under attack. It was a large call center for Citibank owned credit cards (over a 1,000 people), so it got pretty insane. We stopped making outbound calls and a few people stayed working to take incoming calls. We also had a scheduled blood drive that day at work, and I remember hearing about the missing PA flight on the blood bank's bus radio while I gave blood. At the time I was part-time at my job and I was suppose to have afternoon college classes that day but they were canceled. So I spent the day at my brother's house watching the news until my wife got off work. I do clearly remember the misplaced anger I felt that night, wishing we could strike at something, anything immediately. A stupid human reaction that in hindsight is pure garbage.

Remember all the American flags everywhere during the weeks after? It was easier to find toilet paper in March 2020 than it was to find a flag after 9/11. Most Americans had a false sense of unity that later got destroyed by our misguided invasion of Iraq.

Rhyno posted:

I remember the space shuttle explosion but none of the details of the day.
9/11 I was extremely hung over but remember my mom came over to wake me up and we sat there for 3 or 4 hours.

I remember my mom let me stay home from school at the time (I was 13 at the time) and we watched it happen. I remember thinking it seemed like something that would happen in a movie not in reality.