Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"facts are sometimes contentious" is like the defining sentence of Australian politics.

E: the full quote

Michael McCormack posted:

Facts are sometimes contentious and what you might think is right, somebody else might think is completely untrue. That is part of living in a democratic country.

Not quite grasping the concept of what a "fact" is.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

McCormack channeling a first year Philosophy student here

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can't find the quote online but heard it on the radio - he want as far as to say something like "all protest is unacceptable."

This is it. This is the best the National Party has to offer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
McCormack in dire need of a headbutt

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

freebooter posted:

Can't find the quote online but heard it on the radio - he want as far as to say something like "all protest is unacceptable."

This is it. This is the best the National Party has to offer.

I heard that too. What the gently caress?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ah,

bowmore posted:

McCormack in dire need of a headbutt

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't blame them for now laying out all their awful views, after all the lnp seems to be in favour of a mask off policy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

nocturama posted:

I heard that too. What the gently caress?

Wedged in there somewhere was an equivocation of "whether it's BLM or the Capitol protests," and I think he meant to say violent protest, but even that of itself - that level of poo poo communication - is a marker of how unfit he is for the top job in any capacity.

It's sort of amazing that because of this century-old political coalition, every Liberal PM is obliged to have some poo poo-for-brains weirdo country bumpkin as his deputy. (Or it would be amazing if it weren't for the fact that we've had at least one poo poo-for-brains weirdo city slicker as PM in recent years.)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

conservatives being censored when they try to incite a coup : drake no face

conservatives censoring the abc when they truthfully report unflattering facts : drake yes face

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Good.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I can't blame them for now laying out all their awful views, after all the lnp seems to be in favour of a mask off policy.

This post is bad and you should feel bad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are being a bit bleeding heart about this, and who are confecting outrage, but they should know that those lives matter too. All lives matter.

Any form of violence, any form of protest that ends in death and destruction is abhorred, The United States goes through great change but any form of protest, whether it is a protest over racial riots or what we have seen on Capitol Hill in recent days is condemned and abhorred.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are being a bit bleeding heart about this, and who are confecting outrage, but they should know that those lives matter too. All lives matter.

Any form of violence, any form of protest that ends in death and destruction is abhorred, The United States goes through great change but any form of protest, whether it is a protest over racial riots or what we have seen on Capitol Hill in recent days is condemned and abhorred.

Boooooooooooottthhhhhh ssiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeesssssssssssssss

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
the lives of people who say "all lives matter" don't matter

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Lid posted:

should have brought back your old avatar for this post

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Mans on a roll

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
When people finally are forced to know who you are by chance because you are leader of the vestigial party, you have to get all those Hot Takes out while people remember you exist. Man's on a schedule.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

Mans on a roll

that poo poo polls well, bludger.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
kind of impressed at the level of contempt implied in "more than they could have dreamed of" there

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

kind of impressed at the level of contempt implied in "more than they could have dreamed of" there

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hooman posted:

Boooooooooooottthhhhhh ssiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeesssssssssssssss

I read this in my mind like the "photooooon torpeeeeeedoes" bit from Star Trek TMP

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Most of the people he represents, Australian agriculture, find it very difficult to stay afloat without slavery. He’s just doing his job in advocating for them.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

His little speech last (?) year about Pacific Island nations needing to shut up about us drowning them by pushing coal burning upon the world just because it's inconvenient for them to "exist" ended with something like "and if for the sake of our economy your island sinks, your people can come pick fruit for us."

Comic book villain poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The libs and nats should just swap prime ministers every year this country bumpkin poo poo is hilarious.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

Mans on a roll
making the most of the week where people are forced to remember he exists

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Russian White Army Climbing the tsars palace gates 1918 during the October Revolution

Philadelphia Eagles fans climbing the State Capitol gates 2018 during the Philadelphia Eagles Superbowl Win

He's rifght

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

He's thinking of a Ferrari branded coffee table or some poo poo

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

He's thinking of a Ferrari branded coffee table or some poo poo

Genuine HSV pit crew jacket.

It’s like catnip to these guys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They've spent the last 4 years watching Trump and the GOP go balls to the wall with racism, greed and anti-science.

If you ignore the last week, you could totally think it was time to take the mask off in conservative Australian politics as well.

If you don't ignore the last week? Well, probably the same really. It's not like anything is going to happen to them.

I mean, is the Nat's voter base going to suddenly not be racist?

Lid posted:

I walked in the door tonight, turned on the TV and this is literally the first thing I heard.

Country Member going all out now he's got his 5 minutes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Half a mind they genuinely expect us to go back to wandering about the bush as swagmen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Never dreamed I could manage to live off less than minimum wage, thank you for this life-changing opportunity, LNP

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Genuine HSV pit crew jacket.

It’s like catnip to these guys.

A tin cigar cutter designed by Karl Lagerfeld

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Tommunist posted:

Mans on a roll

i swear it has to be a distraction for something else, but also not surprising a yokel who went from private school fuckwit to newspaper editor to campaign manager to politician has no loving clue. too many teeth.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/threat-to-democracy-is-real-mps-call-for-social-media-code-of-conduct-20210112-p56tju.html

Social media companies would have to sign up to an Australian code of conduct on the way they silence free speech and shut down accounts, under a federal push for greater oversight after Twitter and Facebook suspended posts by US President Donald Trump.

Liberal MPs called for the voluntary code as a practical first step to introduce transparency and accountability to public debate on the online platforms, while raising the prospect of passing new federal laws to mandate the code if necessary.

The calls put an early proposal on the agenda within the federal Coalition party room as cabinet ministers express frustration at Twitter's move to take down Mr Trump's account but struggle to name a policy solution to the private company's control of the content posted on its site.

Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack has slammed Twitter's move and questioned why the company took down Mr Trump's tweets when it would not remove a Chinese Foreign Ministry tweet last year that showed an Australian soldier holding a knife to a young child's throat.

But Liberal MP Trent Zimmerman, who represents North Sydney, said Twitter was right to suspend Mr Trump's account when the President was inciting violence during a riot last Thursday that posed a danger to the United States Congress.

"In Australia we called on Twitter to censor the Chinese government for its reprehensible post. That was the right call, just as it was the right call for Twitter to suspend the account of Donald Trump in circumstances where his comments could threaten the peaceful handover of government in the United States," Mr Zimmerman said.

"We know this is not simply guesswork: the events of last week prove that the threat to democracy is real and present.

One day after Technology Minister Karen Andrews called for more transparency in the way social media companies policed content, Mr Zimmerman said the episode highlighted the inconsistency in the way Twitter continued to allow some of the world's worst authoritarian leaders to spread propaganda.

"I think there is a strong case for the companies to establish a code of conduct which provides universal guidance as to the way that they respond to these issues and the circumstances in which they will exercise their editorial rights," Mr Zimmerman said.

"These companies play an increasingly substantial role in the future of our democracies because they are the town squares for so much public debate.

"If they are to avoid governments legislating – which should be a last resort – then they need to take the bull by the horns and provide greater transparency and clarity themselves."

NSW Liberal Senator Andrew Bragg also called for a code of conduct on Tuesday, saying the debate was at an early stage after Twitter "crossed the Rubicon" with its decision on Mr Trump.

"The question is, what are they going to do with all the material on their platforms which already transgress our laws, especially in relation to incitement and defamation?" Senator Bragg asked.

"I would like to see if the platforms do this at their own volition and if not, look to put in place a code of conduct and if that doesn't fail, then you'd have to look at further, more onerous obligations that could be considered by Canberra."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

should have brought back your old avatar for this post

*drumming increases*

We return from the depths of the badland
With a gun and a knife in our waistband
Went to war with the Devil and Shaytan
He wore a bad toupee and a spray tan
So high now, hoping that I land
On a Thai stick, moving through Thailand
On the radio, heard a plane hijack
Government be in debt while they cook crack
I move in a world of conspiracies
Obey no rules, I'm doing me
Smoke kush, transport to the airport
Customs found a joint in my passport
Pull cash and I gave him what he asked for
Goddammit, it's a motherfucking miracle
Small bribe, made it back into America
Hit Uber and maneuvered out the area
Rhyme animal, pitbull terrier
Rap terrorist, terrorize, tear it up
Brought gas and the matches to flare it up
Militant Michael might go psycho
On any ally or rival
Born Black, that's dead on arrival
My job is to fight for survival
In spite of these #AllLivesMatter-rear end white folk

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lid posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/threat-to-democracy-is-real-mps-call-for-social-media-code-of-conduct-20210112-p56tju.html

Social media companies would have to sign up to an Australian code of conduct on the way they silence free speech and shut down accounts, under a federal push for greater oversight after Twitter and Facebook suspended posts by US President Donald Trump.

Liberal MPs called for the voluntary code as a practical first step to introduce transparency and accountability to public debate on the online platforms, while raising the prospect of passing new federal laws to mandate the code if necessary.

The calls put an early proposal on the agenda within the federal Coalition party room as cabinet ministers express frustration at Twitter's move to take down Mr Trump's account but struggle to name a policy solution to the private company's control of the content posted on its site.

Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack has slammed Twitter's move and questioned why the company took down Mr Trump's tweets when it would not remove a Chinese Foreign Ministry tweet last year that showed an Australian soldier holding a knife to a young child's throat.

But Liberal MP Trent Zimmerman, who represents North Sydney, said Twitter was right to suspend Mr Trump's account when the President was inciting violence during a riot last Thursday that posed a danger to the United States Congress.

"In Australia we called on Twitter to censor the Chinese government for its reprehensible post. That was the right call, just as it was the right call for Twitter to suspend the account of Donald Trump in circumstances where his comments could threaten the peaceful handover of government in the United States," Mr Zimmerman said.

"We know this is not simply guesswork: the events of last week prove that the threat to democracy is real and present.

One day after Technology Minister Karen Andrews called for more transparency in the way social media companies policed content, Mr Zimmerman said the episode highlighted the inconsistency in the way Twitter continued to allow some of the world's worst authoritarian leaders to spread propaganda.

"I think there is a strong case for the companies to establish a code of conduct which provides universal guidance as to the way that they respond to these issues and the circumstances in which they will exercise their editorial rights," Mr Zimmerman said.

"These companies play an increasingly substantial role in the future of our democracies because they are the town squares for so much public debate.

"If they are to avoid governments legislating – which should be a last resort – then they need to take the bull by the horns and provide greater transparency and clarity themselves."

NSW Liberal Senator Andrew Bragg also called for a code of conduct on Tuesday, saying the debate was at an early stage after Twitter "crossed the Rubicon" with its decision on Mr Trump.

"The question is, what are they going to do with all the material on their platforms which already transgress our laws, especially in relation to incitement and defamation?" Senator Bragg asked.

"I would like to see if the platforms do this at their own volition and if not, look to put in place a code of conduct and if that doesn't fail, then you'd have to look at further, more onerous obligations that could be considered by Canberra."

I thought the code of conduct for social media were the rules you agreed to when you created an account on the platform.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

When people finally are forced to know who you are by chance because you are leader of the vestigial party, you have to get all those Hot Takes out while people remember you exist. Man's on a schedule.

Not sure you can describe them as vestigial when the Liberals very rarely manage to get a majority in their own right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Tommunist posted:

Mans on a roll

Old White Man Has Hot Takes