Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea all three of the original trilogy have iconic and all-time great action set pieces. Crystal Skull has nothing on that level, and the overuse of green-screen definitely is at least partially to blame for that. I am a sucker for ancient alien poo poo though so I do enjoy the movie.

I'm curious how the grain situation will turn out with the Indy movies though, Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in 1981 so I'd expect some pretty noticeable grain(which is good as long as it's consistent).

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

No one ever mentions the fuckin CGI gophers or monkeys and that poo poo, which are all the worst parts.

That's pretty much all anyone talked about when the movie came out. That and the nuclear fridge sequence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The campus chase is solid though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's pretty much all anyone talked about when the movie came out. That and the nuclear fridge sequence.

All anyone ever talked about was the fridge and the idea of Shia swinging with the monkeys. The idea is fine, it's the execution that sucks.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I really only like Raiders. I did a rewatch of the Trilogy when it hit Hulu+ years back. Raiders is rock loving solid. Doom is convoluted and kind of a downer. Last Crusade seems a bit like a re-tread, and I don't love Connery in it.

Have never seen Crystal Skull. Not really in a rush to do so.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I only saw all four as an adult. Raiders is an incredible classic. Everything else is a sharp step down from Raiders. Doom is bad. Last Crusade is Raiders again but worse. Crystal Skull is fine. I'd easily put Crystal Skull as the second best if only because it has some novelty over Last Crusade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I won't even pretend to have objectivity about Indiana Jones. From as early as I can remember they were on t.v. constantly and Indy to me was always like the Ultimate Movie Hero. I wanted to be him so bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw the Last Crusade in a bonifide movie palace. You know the kind with balconies and chandeliers. I think they turned it into a parking lot the next year, and I was too young to appreciate it at the time :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Doom has some extremely uncomfortable race poo poo and Kate Capshaw’s definitely a step down from Karen Allen in performance and chemistry with Ford, but the action sequences are still great (albeit nonsensical, as if that ever stopped an Indy movie) and Short Round is easily Indy’s best sidekick. I saw it in a theater a couple years ago and it was so much better with an audience and theater audio blasting the score and sound effects.

Crusade is admittedly a bit of a retread, but I love the humor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I consider Last Crusade to be my first movie in a theater. I didn't actually get to see it, per se, that's just when I happened to have broken my mother's water. She waited for the movie to finish before going to the hospital and giving birth.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I won't even pretend to have objectivity about Indiana Jones. From as early as I can remember they were on t.v. constantly and Indy to me was always like the Ultimate Movie Hero. I wanted to be him so bad.

Same boat here. I adored Raiders and Temple as a kid, and I saw Last Crusade in the theater and adored it too. I never even considered critiquing or ranking them until I was an adult.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I wish I could enjoy Indiana Jones, just doesnt do it for me. The first one is alright. Dunno what it is about the series though, bored to tears by it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Crystal Skull is bad because they used the wrong take of "part time."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

No one ever mentions the fuckin CGI gophers or monkeys and that poo poo, which are all the worst parts.

They are so very far from the worst parts. The script and cinematography take the top two spots. The gophers are fine because they act like gophers, but the monkeys behavior is cartoonish. The entire jungle surrounding car chase and Tarzan swinging are far more egregious than their behavior, though.

The fridge would also be fine if it landed in water or had been thrown significantly less distance. The physics are just too goofy, WAY worse than the ToD life raft.

e: Ranking-wise, Raiders is far and away the clear winner, but Crusade being more of the same isn't a bad thing for me because the father/son duo dynamic keeps it fresh enough for me. Besides, they're serials and those are the most repetitive storytelling medium on earth! And Doom is just a few trims and snips away from being a much better (yet still problematic) film. One more draft of that script and it could've sang.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 11, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's the first thing I always think of because I think the aesthetics are by far the worst thing about the movie and that's no easy feat.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I honestly don’t remember the monkeys and gophers at all, I remember the fuckin ANTS.

Kinda actually don’t want to see that scene in 4K.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

That's the first thing I always think of because I think the aesthetics are by far the worst thing about the movie and that's no easy feat.

The script is the worst. The way they try to write this casual quippy dialogue that also serves to update the audience about what Indy's been up to is embarrassing. It has some of the absolute worst lines Harrison Ford has ever been asked to deliver.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The script is the worst. The way they try to write this casual quippy dialogue that also serves to update the audience about what Indy's been up to is embarrassing. It has some of the absolute worst lines Harrison Ford has ever been asked to deliver.

Oh the script is total dogshit. But it's also an aggressively ugly movie and looked dated as soon as it came out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Everything about the quicksand scene is dire. Just the bottom of the barrel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

janusz kaminski’s cinematography is dog poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

janusz kaminski’s cinematography is dog poo poo

I count that as part of the aesthetic. It's just an ugly lovely movie. In other news, that gigantic Dawn of the Dead blu-ray set is one sale again but only to people in the UK.

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/coll...lp_cLJuMUx0Blns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like Zack Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead will be the only one that exists for me.

Dog poo poo rear end Blu Ray rights issues

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rubinstein can’t last that long. Unless he’s got some poo poo rear end contract up his sleeve for after his death.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

A cheaper edition without the soundtrack and book will be released at a later date. Should be easier to get.

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1348676783823052802?s=21

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Deep discount canceled my Hammer Films order.

Always worth a shot.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

Deep discount canceled my Hammer Films order.

Always worth a shot.

Yep, unable to be fulfilled. Ah well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cancelled here as well. Though some people are getting shipping confirmations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cancel culture has run amok

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, it wasn't a particularly impressive lineup anyway. If you gave me a 20 film Hammer set that actually had some heavy hitters like Horror of Dracula, The Devil Rides Out, Hound of the Baskervilles, Plague of the Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit, etc. then I'd pay almost any price but this one is pretty much all second tier stuff. Which is par for the course with Hammer, the rights situation is all over the place.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Deepdiscount.com has shown themselves to be cowards

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get the impression that Deep Discount will cancel any orders that are actually deeply discounted.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here at DeepDiscount, your orders will always be deeply discounted!*

*Orders will be cancelled

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, it wasn't a particularly impressive lineup anyway. If you gave me a 20 film Hammer set that actually had some heavy hitters like Horror of Dracula, The Devil Rides Out, Hound of the Baskervilles, Plague of the Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit, etc. then I'd pay almost any price but this one is pretty much all second tier stuff. Which is par for the course with Hammer, the rights situation is all over the place.

I know it’s not what that movie is, but I’m really enjoying the version of The Snorkel I made up in my head. It’s Peter Cushing hunting down a cursed snorkel. There are a lot of shots of guys floating face-down in water with the snorkel on while Cushing says things like: “I fear it may be much too late to do anything about this wretched snorkel.”

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

These are the Damned is essential, and Scream of Fear is excellent fun. I’m not quite as sold on their monster stuff, but those two alone are worth the price of admission. (Or the cancelled one, at least.)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

re-organizing my media collection.... i got a problem.

at least now i can get rid of some stuff that will never get watched again. like that copy of Jason Statham's The Bank Job.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I love seeing physical media collections in this thread bc irl I think I know 1 other person beyond myself that still buys physical movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My collection is in a closet and thus is difficult to photograph. So here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSsGoIuZp4

e: So I decided to attempt to take photos, and it actually works a bit better than the shaky rear end video. The hard part is stuffing myself into the closet with enough room to take a clear pic.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 13, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alright I'm game

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Started collecting last fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

all organized once again, I'll probably have to do it once I start really making my way through the unwatched pile (and find some place to put that Criterion Varda set)

I probably just need a whole new shelf. Even purged some titles on the top shelf that I'll give to my mom for her own collection next time im able to see her.