Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (December 21-25, 1998)

What did I say about people talking with the dead in this comic? I mean. Is Kell's dad supposed to be a memory? A fantasy? Wishful thinking? What is it with the Marley-looking cat (?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The crew cut joke is funny.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My local library is still closed on account of The Great Americo-British Apocalyptic Plague but last time I was there I don't remember much of a deal about reshelving your own books. Once in a while someone would go swing by the shelfs and fix things that were out of order, if some mildly-neurotic library patron such as myself didn't get there first.

Wonder if that's an "American librarians can't trust Cletus to know the number 415 is bigger than the number 415" deal or something.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The set-up for this Modesty Blaise feels a bit haphazard to me. It's been mentioned that Joanna was used as a sex slave in the Blackwings's cult, since her friend's dad blames her for surviving. That should have been plenty enough reason for Modesty to go after the cult leader, so it feels pretty off for her to hesitate and have Giles talk her into taking action.

The fact that everyone treats Shannon as a terrible burden who keeps pestering them makes this less of a joke, and more that Shannon is so used to everyone blaming her for every little thing going wrong.

I'm pretty sure we've only seen this one kid of Angelique's in modern K&K. So what, did the other nineteen kids just get eaten offscreen?

Ahhh, nothing like a little bit of bank account identity theft as your good deed for Christmas. I'm sure the bank wouldn't notice the money suddenly being deposited to Angelique's bank account. And, of course, Kevin doesn't give a poo poo that his daughter just casually committed a crime since they're the protagonists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah a library would probably not have only the DDC category on the front of the shelf, too, you'd have a plain English description as well. Or for all I know that might be how American libraries do it but that seems inconvenient.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

amigolupus posted:

The set-up for this Modesty Blaise feels a bit haphazard to me. It's been mentioned that Joanna was used as a sex slave in the Blackwings's cult, since her friend's dad blames her for surviving. That should have been plenty enough reason for Modesty to go after the cult leader, so it feels pretty off for her to hesitate and have Giles talk her into taking action.

The fact that everyone treats Shannon as a terrible burden who keeps pestering them makes this less of a joke, and more that Shannon is so used to everyone blaming her for every little thing going wrong.

I'm pretty sure we've only seen this one kid of Angelique's in modern K&K. So what, did the other nineteen kids just get eaten offscreen?

Ahhh, nothing like a little bit of bank account identity theft as your good deed for Christmas. I'm sure the bank wouldn't notice the money suddenly being deposited to Angelique's bank account. And, of course, Kevin doesn't give a poo poo that his daughter just casually committed a crime since they're the protagonists.

Bit of the perfect crime. If he legally owes her money and transfers it to her account what’s he going to do? Go file a police report?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kazinsal posted:

My local library is still closed on account of The Great Americo-British Apocalyptic Plague but last time I was there I don't remember much of a deal about reshelving your own books. Once in a while someone would go swing by the shelfs and fix things that were out of order, if some mildly-neurotic library patron such as myself didn't get there first.

Wonder if that's an "American librarians can't trust Cletus to know the number 415 is bigger than the number 415" deal or something.
Pretty sure my local library (in Austrlia) has signs up saying to put books on the reshelving cart rather than back on the shelves. I assume they've just found it saves some hassle over all.

amigolupus posted:

Maybe she just assumed he'd either be killed by the gangsters he's trying to kill, or by whoever was left in charge of their operations after their deaths were discovered.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 14, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 14, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 14, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/11/01

I posted this by mistake last week but here it is again for completeness's sake.

Brenda Starr 6/10/45

Taking "master of the obvious" classes from Detective Traverts, I see.

Smokey Stover 4/3-5/39

New source again -- this time from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, which just started running the strip.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! This is what you get when a copywriter gets to use their creative writing skills.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 12, 2021

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

How could Arlo and Janis doxx my parents like this?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mark Trail won't be happy about this.
https://twitter.com/fox35orlando/status/1348790622698795009?s=20

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

did we see mr. uh-oh’s origins with the uh-oh baby in cds?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

:raise:

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure my local library (in Austrlia) has signs up saying to put books on the reshelving cart rather than back on the shelves. I assume they've just found it saves some hassle over all.
I've heard that it helps them track that people are actually reading the books, too. If you see something on the shelving cart multiple times a day, it's super popular, maybe get another! If this book has never come off the shelf in years maybe get rid of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We had to either check the book back in at the counter or use the check in machine. So they could track things in and out properly.

When I used a library, in the before times.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

amigolupus posted:

Tiggum posted:

Maybe she just assumed he'd either be killed by the gangsters he's trying to kill, or by whoever was left in charge of their operations after their deaths were discovered.

Modesty Blaise talk: remember Modesty contacted Steve Taylor of the FBI, who will get to the Blackwings' compound in a few hours and presumably arrest the cult members. Giles is more upset that the mafiosi will be killed in the meantime if Modesty and Willie don't do anything to stop the cult.

Dustin library talk: As others have mentioned, libraries sometimes ask patrons not to re-shelve books themselves, not only to make sure the book is put back in the correct location, but also to note that the book is being used even if it's not being checked out (the library I work at calls it "in-house use").

The_Other fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 12, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 21, 1943)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Catching up a bit.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 28-29, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 18-21, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(May 14, 2018)

(May 16, 2018)

(May 18, 2018)

(May 21, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics, with Terry and the Pirates showing why it's never posted by itself in these threads.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

I feel this in my soul the same way I did when I first read it. In retrospect, "Calvin and Hobbes" made me a strange child. (Apparently, existential dread counts as a 'bad attitude" in middle schoolers.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Okay, I was having some doubts but now you have my full attention once more.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Okay, I was having some doubts but now you have my full attention once more.
I'm a particular fan of bugs's alarm clock changing over by one minute. A comically large amount of time passing between each panel would be an easy laugh, but making it one very small change somehow makes it sink home harder that this is something that's been eating at him that has now shifted.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hattie the hat-snatch? lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Wallace

:allears:

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Haifisch posted:

:allears:

2017 Spiderman

Me (1500M) with my wife (19F). She doesn't understand my rivalry with my former boss.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Agreed on all the prior points about reshelving, I've had librarian friends tell me that their funding sometimes depends on statistics like internal use as well as checkouts, in order to prove that the library is being used and benefits the public. It's good to have a number to point to when some dipstick wants to defund the library because 'no one uses it'.

ps install library extension and support your local library, a lot of libraries are doing pickup orders and overdrive/hoopla still work fine.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Anja nooooo stop talking business nooooooooo

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's some drat good mail that snaps a dagger being stabbed square on.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

amigolupus posted:

My take was that her qualms were about rescuing...Mafia bosses.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gosh, I'm liking this again.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

My take was that her qualms were about rescuing...Mafia bosses.

Specifically, they're Mafia Bosses in the drug trade, which Modesty and Willie have an intense dislike of and spent a lot of their time smashing while in their own criminal network.
Robbing people is one thing, running books is another, but Sex Trafficking and Drugs are consistently on their taboo list.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Vargo posted:

Wallace

The world is not worthy of this strip, IMO.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

home sweet dysfunction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (March 27, 1933), I'm not sure if Webster assumed that people would recognize the Duke of Wellington on sight, or wouldn't.

Look at the detail on those costumes.