Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Munkaboo posted:

Anyone rocking a DT 990 pro/premium, 58x, or a Hifi that can chime in on gaming and Metal music performance? I may spring for a Sundara but I'm not sure if I'll like it. Never actually heard a Planar can before.

This summer I got a 58x, and decided to try a 990 Premium 250 to see if it was more comfortable, but ended up really liking the sound as well. I listen primarily to metal and game in shooters and wow. I would fire up a song and swap the headphones around and preferred the 990's sound each time. The only exception was some more acoustic heavy songs the 58x would have better mids for it. But I would still prefer the heavier bass of the 990 and I don't listen to a lot of acoustic heavy songs. It def has a treble high but I use my sound cards EQ to bring it down. I use a few profiles for games and music to adjust the bass and treb for different media. The higher treb is great for shooters though. As for comfort the premium has less clamp force as I understand it compared to other 990's and it feels great. The foam is stiffer than I expected but the velour is soft and its softened over time. Weird thing with the premium is it has a micro felt headband cover that was really uncomfortable with my short hair/shaved head. I swapped it with one of the leatherette covers the other 990's use and it was much more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ChazTurbo posted:

Need a comfortable usb headset for work. over eared and open back if possible.

How many hours will you be on the phone? Jabra makes excellent headsets but they can be $$$

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Fingat posted:

This summer I got a 58x, and decided to try a 990 Premium 250 to see if it was more comfortable, but ended up really liking the sound as well. I listen primarily to metal and game in shooters and wow. I would fire up a song and swap the headphones around and preferred the 990's sound each time. The only exception was some more acoustic heavy songs the 58x would have better mids for it. But I would still prefer the heavier bass of the 990 and I don't listen to a lot of acoustic heavy songs. It def has a treble high but I use my sound cards EQ to bring it down. I use a few profiles for games and music to adjust the bass and treb for different media. The higher treb is great for shooters though. As for comfort the premium has less clamp force as I understand it compared to other 990's and it feels great. The foam is stiffer than I expected but the velour is soft and its softened over time. Weird thing with the premium is it has a micro felt headband cover that was really uncomfortable with my short hair/shaved head. I swapped it with one of the leatherette covers the other 990's use and it was much more comfortable.

Nice, thanks for the info! For someone thats never really owned amazing headphones would I notice a difference between the 80 and 250 ohm versions? (I just have the E17 to drive it)

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Lowness 72 posted:

How many hours will you be on the phone? Jabra makes excellent headsets but they can be $$$

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Nice, thanks for the info! For someone thats never really owned amazing headphones would I notice a difference between the 80 and 250 ohm versions? (I just have the E17 to drive it)

That I don't know. Im not familiar with the E17. Im not using anything fancy to drive it. Just the on-board sound on a z390 aorus elite. I feel like it could get louder but It works well enough now since there is an amp on-board. But I might move to a dac/amp in the future. For reference I had the volume base in windows at 60 for the 58x and had to bump it up to 80 for the 990. It doesn't get too much louder and starts to distort. Im sure someone here would have a suggestion.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're interested in 990s you should try them, but not without a return policy. The icepick treble is a real thing that a lot of people will never get over with those cans, me included. Sennheiser 560s should be on your list, it gets a lot of praise and doesn't need a very powerful amp.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

True, I got mine from Amazon just in case I didn't like them. Also I'm a little older than the average goon so im not sure if Im as sensitive to treble now.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're interested in 990s you should try them, but not without a return policy. The icepick treble is a real thing that a lot of people will never get over with those cans, me included. Sennheiser 560s should be on your list, it gets a lot of praise and doesn't need a very powerful amp.

Yep - ordered from Amazon for that reason.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Spend the money on a Jabra.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm increasingly convinced that the "etymotic solved IEMs 20 years ago" meme has a kernel of truth to it.

because it is truth

Yuns posted:

Also it seemed pretty susceptible to cable noise so I wouldn't use them for running or the gym.

the secret to eliminating cable noise with Etymotics is to wear them with the cable wrapped up around your ear like pictured below:

by wrapping the cable around your ear any vibrations coming through the cable are damped

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I have these Monoprice headphones and they work fine for my needs, except that they don't come in pretty colors. If I want headphones that are basically like these ones, but in pastel/baby blue, am I poo poo out of luck? I feel like I'm SOL, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have a pair of Grado SR225s. My cushions are starting to disintegrate and leave black shavings everywhere. Can someone recommend an aftermarket cushion that will increase the comfort of these headphones? I love what Grado's do to the sound of an electric guitar but they're so uncomfortable I can't wear them for very long.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shankel Magnus posted:

I have a pair of Grado SR225s. My cushions are starting to disintegrate and leave black shavings everywhere. Can someone recommend an aftermarket cushion that will increase the comfort of these headphones? I love what Grado's do to the sound of an electric guitar but they're so uncomfortable I can't wear them for very long.

These are alright. They’re basically what grado calls their “comfy” pads but with the “quarter mod” people like for clarity already done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGCDHL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8p3-FbEQYQB0V

I’ve got vintage flats, bowls and comfy pads for my rs1, and they all have a different sound, but comfort is most important.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: I think I figured this out nevermind

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 10, 2021

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks - and nice to see the price isn’t too bad. I’ll give them a shot.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Sorry to post a very basic question but I’m looking to replace my in ear headphones - I’ve just worn out a pair of kz zsn’s prior to them I’ve really liked (and lost) about 3 pairs of soundmagic e10.

My source is mostly and iPod classic and phone for podcasts.

Prefer to spend on the budget side up to about $50? I’m in the uk

Thanks for any help!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For IEMs the value is in ChiFi.

I have the KZ Z10 Pro's and the Tin T2's and they are very good for the price (especially if you use foam eartips). I know the BLON BL03 and BL01 have also got very good reviews. Nothing you can buy in the highstreet will come close to the value of the KZ, Tin or BLONs but you do get the advantage of not waiting a month for them to turn up and if they break you can return them. Skullcandy IEMs are OK if you get them on sale, just never pay full price.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Haven't been able to get in touch with Sennheiser and my HD598 earpads are in a bad way. I see a couple offbrands on amazon -- can anyone recommend one in particular?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Virtue posted:

Haven't been able to get in touch with Sennheiser and my HD598 earpads are in a bad way. I see a couple offbrands on amazon -- can anyone recommend one in particular?

The only third party Sennheiser pads I've found that are as good as the OEM come from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/wang_yifei

e: these specifically https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Vel...AMAAOSwo8hTlu89

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For IEMs the value is in ChiFi.

I have the KZ Z10 Pro's and the Tin T2's and they are very good for the price (especially if you use foam eartips). I know the BLON BL03 and BL01 have also got very good reviews. Nothing you can buy in the highstreet will come close to the value of the KZ, Tin or BLONs but you do get the advantage of not waiting a month for them to turn up and if they break you can return them. Skullcandy IEMs are OK if you get them on sale, just never pay full price.

Tin and KZ stuff you can get on Amazon pretty easily, there's a bunch of importers for both. I have the Tins and the one thing I'd say about them is I don't find them that comfortable, the KZ stuff is apparently better in that regard. The other option is worn out how? If you've just wrecked the cable you can replace that on KZ's pretty cheaply.
KZ ZS10 Pro
Tin T2

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 11, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I figured I would post this since I went ahead and bought some gaming wireless headphones. I decided on the Corsair Virtuoso Wireless SE. I was also looking at the top of the line steel series ones and I think the thing that swayed me was the build quality of the Corsair. I have had several plastic headsets, including my current Sennheiser, and they all seem to get cracks somewhere. The Steel Series was also $150 more but comes with a breakout box and a bunch of features I don't need, like the ability to use bluetooth and the same time as using them on the PC which is pretty neat but not something I need. The Corsair are all aluminum and look great. Though they are pretty heavy, I am not having any issues with comfort which many people complain about with these headphones.

I guess the one thing I have an issue with is I already have a nice mic so I wanted to use that and these have a removable mic which was perfect. The issue is these have some noise isolation and need sidetone for the mic, and in order to do that, you have to use their mic. I figured out how to do it with a different mic, but Windows adds an audio delay to it, which is completely unacceptable, so I'm just using the mic it came with.

The sound is great, the wireless is flawless, and you can also use it with a normal headphone jack with with the provided USB cable for wired audio with other devices.

$180 for these:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

njsykora posted:

Tin and KZ stuff you can get on Amazon pretty easily, there's a bunch of importers for both. I have the Tins and the one thing I'd say about them is I don't find them that comfortable, the KZ stuff is apparently better in that regard. The other option is worn out how? If you've just wrecked the cable you can replace that on KZ's pretty cheaply.
KZ ZS10 Pro
Tin T2

I know you can buy them from importers but the price hike is obscene. I would not recommend paying £45 for a £25 pair of IEMs even if you can get them in a couple of days.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Sorry to post a very basic question but I’m looking to replace my in ear headphones - I’ve just worn out a pair of kz zsn’s prior to them I’ve really liked (and lost) about 3 pairs of soundmagic e10.

My source is mostly and iPod classic and phone for podcasts.

Prefer to spend on the budget side up to about $50? I’m in the uk

Thanks for any help!

Being in the UK, do you mean £50?

If so, the Etymotic ER2SE/ER2XR are generally around $100USD on Amazon, sometimes dropping to like $70, and absolutely none of the chifi poo poo can touch them in terms of sound quality.

If you can swing them the Etymotics are strictly superior to anything else anywhere near in price, things like the KZ and Blons are not in the same league of quality.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So I think I mentioned this here in the thread, but I recently had to return my Anker Soundbuds Curve since they developed a pretty serious case of pressure-related popping noises in one of the audio drivers. They were otherwise pretty great overall and at 30$ for the pair, only reason I'm not already ordering new ones is because Amazon stopped carrying that model and I have no idea when or if they'll ever be back in stock.

What I particularly liked about them was their sheer staying power, with an advertised battery life of 18 hours that they turned out to completely live up to. Since I have to shop around for a different model anyway, I would like to ask you all to pretty much just me tell me all the most long-lived wireless bluetooth earbuds (with a cable, not true wireless) you can think of. 16 hours should be the minimum, but otherwise, longer is just generally better. No particular price range.

Thanks in advance!

Wheeee posted:

by wrapping the cable around your ear any vibrations coming through the cable are damped
Huh. Too bad I didn't think to try that before I returned mine, that might have actually done the trick.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

Being in the UK, do you mean £50?

If so, the Etymotic ER2SE/ER2XR are generally around $100USD on Amazon, sometimes dropping to like $70, and absolutely none of the chifi poo poo can touch them in terms of sound quality.

If you can swing them the Etymotics are strictly superior to anything else anywhere near in price, things like the KZ and Blons are not in the same league of quality.

I agree. I completely forgot but the loving cable on the ety combined with the (I assume) hollow shell means way way more microphonics than any other set ive tried. Fail.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

I agree. I completely forgot but the loving cable on the ety combined with the (I assume) hollow shell means way way more microphonics than any other set ive tried. Fail.

This cable helps a ton: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb201603_
especially with the ER2 which comes with a dogshit shame cable.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One annoying thing about the Ety ER4SR is that the connector is an MMCX but with a little proprietary tab that it snaps into so no guarantee that a 3rd party MMCX connector will be stable. I'm running Etys own 2.5mm balanced cable to my Qudelix 5K but I wish I could use an aftermarket braided cable to further reduce microphonics in the gym. Does that Aliexpress cable have a tab on the connector or if it doesn't is it a stable connection?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Yuns posted:

Does that Aliexpress cable have a tab on the connector or if it doesn't is it a stable connection?

No, and yes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This cable helps a ton: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb201603_
especially with the ER2 which comes with a dogshit shame cable.

Looks ok. Thick AF.

Ima get this one
https://www.amazon.com/Westone-Ultra-Thin-Audio-Cable/dp/B00MQVQFCI

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

The er2xr are £155 and the er2se are £161 on uk Amazon, so while they look amazing that puts them very out of my price range. Will happily look for a deal though, and many thanks for the recommendation.

The Tin T2 is looking nice in more my sort of range though

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Are you positive that'll work? Etymotic MMCX is deeper than normal, most cables won't work.

e: also I seriously don't recommend straight connectors for etys

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

The er2xr are £155 and the er2se are £161 on uk Amazon, so while they look amazing that puts them very out of my price range. Will happily look for a deal though, and many thanks for the recommendation.

The Tin T2 is looking nice in more my sort of range though

Assuming you don't mind an over ear cable fit, you might want to consider the T2 Plus instead. I don't have the plus model, but by all accounts it has better bass, better sound stage and a much nicer cable than the original T2.

Note that this is NOT the same model as the T2 Pro, which was considered by most people to be a treble induced ice pick to your ears.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Okay listening to the DT 990 Pros... I am not bothered or even notice the crazy Treble. Clearly I'm not nearly as much of an audiophile as I am a videophile. Running the 80 ohm version through my E17 with +6 gain and it sounds good to me... Am I going to notice a huge sound quality difference by bumping the gain up to +6 vs 0? Do these need to be 'burned in'?

I have no point of comparison but I AM curious to try the 58x's. Too bad they are on backorder.

edit: Okay I dont normally do Infected Mushroom but holy smokes that poo poo on these cans is bananas.

edit 2: I know these arent supposed to be good for classical but god drat John Williams sounds good on these.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 13, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

burn in doesn't exist, even large loudspeakers a foot in diameter 'burn in' within a few cycles, which is a fraction of a second at even the lowest bass frequencies

'burn in' does exist in that your brain adapts to and 'normalizes' whatever you're listening to, which is why when people buy new headphones and don't like them right away the general advice is to just use them for a week or two before going back to what they had before to compare. if you're already happy with the DT990 that's good, just keep on keepin on

if you do end up trying the 58x use them for a while to adapt before making a decision since they'll sound dull in direct comparison despite being closer to a neutral signature

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

burn in doesn't exist, even large loudspeakers a foot in diameter 'burn in' within a few cycles, which is a fraction of a second at even the lowest bass frequencies

'burn in' does exist in that your brain adapts to and 'normalizes' whatever you're listening to, which is why when people buy new headphones and don't like them right away the general advice is to just use them for a week or two before going back to what they had before to compare. if you're already happy with the DT990 that's good, just keep on keepin on

if you do end up trying the 58x use them for a while to adapt before making a decision since they'll sound dull in direct comparison despite being closer to a neutral signature

Speaker engineers say pump some big bass through your driver for 2-5 minutes and done! All thats happening is the surround relaxes a little and allows the driver to return to neutral a bit faster. No biggie.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea

manufacturers like hifiman tell you in the manual to do 150 hours of burn in because they want you to get used to the equipment and not call them up as soon you get it because it 'doesn't sound good'

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

These are alright. They’re basically what grado calls their “comfy” pads but with the “quarter mod” people like for clarity already done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGCDHL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8p3-FbEQYQB0V

I’ve got vintage flats, bowls and comfy pads for my rs1, and they all have a different sound, but comfort is most important.

Wow! Thanks for recommending those cushions. My SR225s went from me only being able to listen to them for about 15 minutes to me forgetting I was wearing them for a couple of hours while I was studying. It's making such a difference that it has renewed my interest in getting my hands on a pair of RS1s someday.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

yea

manufacturers like hifiman tell you in the manual to do 150 hours of burn in because they want you to get used to the equipment and not call them up as soon you get it because it 'doesn't sound good'

When I test iems or headphones I do not allow my brain to burn in. I swap after one song, either with a known reference set or just studio monitors.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Does anyone know how to order anything from the Hidition web site? I'm trying to use the cart to order but nothing seems to work normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Is a Magni/Modi 3 stack enough to drive a set of LCD-2C? I’m sitting here deciding between getting one or splitting my budget up to get a set of Aeon Open X and replace my amp with a Magnius.

Or I can just buy into the GL2000 hype going around some of the other headphone forums.