Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You should probably rename it then because a market is something very different. It's where you go to buy stuff. Like food. For your family.

Not like, ferris wheels and heavy metal bands.

These are Krispy Kreme donut hamberders for my family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weka posted:

This all just sounds like an American version of a market.

Edit: /\
New tfr thread idea: what shotgun rounds can I buy to increase the weight of my pukins?

Make it

I love fair food. The marinades they use to cover up the cheap meats is loving delicious

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bonzo posted:

There's show on Food Network called "Carnival Eats" and I get heartburn just watching a small segment of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRhYjQZYMg

This is a good show that shows you some of the insanity. This link is blocked in my country but you can look it up on youtube.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
State fairs are such a weird microcosm of capitalism too. Like they're designed for the express purpose of lower to middle-class people to spend their excess income. Pay for some disgusting food that only tastes good for two bites! Pay for a 3D wax sculpture of your hand! Pay for a picture taken with some barnyard animals! Pay to ride the questionable Ferris wheel! Not to mention the dozens of "merchandise" stalls or tents or whatever they set up. It almost seems like any and all of the fun comes from spending money.

If you live in the Midwest, it's like taking all the stereotypes of the Midwest and condensing it into one outdoors event and then paying to participate even though you live it every day. Maybe they're more fun for city people to experience as like a novelty?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
poor people should stay home and not have fun

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grimdude posted:

State fairs are such a weird microcosm of capitalism too. Like they're designed for the express purpose of lower to middle-class people to spend their excess income. Pay for some disgusting food that only tastes good for two bites! Pay for a 3D wax sculpture of your hand! Pay for a picture taken with some barnyard animals! Pay to ride the questionable Ferris wheel! Not to mention the dozens of "merchandise" stalls or tents or whatever they set up. It almost seems like any and all of the fun comes from spending money.

If you live in the Midwest, it's like taking all the stereotypes of the Midwest and condensing it into one outdoors event and then paying to participate even though you live it every day. Maybe they're more fun for city people to experience as like a novelty?

I mean yeah it's capitalism but a lot of the fun at good fairs comes from seeing things you don't see every day. Gigantic pumpkin! Ride a camel/elephant/deathtrap! Stunt shows!

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

for those not familiar with American folkways:

State Fair: Annual event usually at permanent facility (fairgrounds) including rides, midway games, lots of food, and lots of exhibits -- county exhibits, industry exhibits, agricultural exhibits. They also include state-level competitions - most people think of livestock and produce judging, but also music/dance competitions, Miss <State> competitions, etc. The governor will speak at some people and monster truck rallies may be involved. I was at the California state fair once and the main hall was standing room only for the state clogging championships. It's a big deal that lasts a couple weeks (the fair, not the clogging).

County Fair: Annual event pretty much the same as a state fair, just on a much smaller, more local scale. Most counties have their own designated fairgrounds and facilities. Features local agriculture/industry exhibits and competitions, local bands, etc. Maybe a washed-up classic rock band for a headliner. Might last a week bookended by two weekends. Monster truck rallies may also be involved, and tractor pulls.

Carnivals: More like that fireman's carnival mentioned above. Rides and midway games mostly, generic food (churros would be exotic), run by "carnies." Maybe a stage for some acts. Mostly a money-making venture, "let's bring foot traffic to the strip mall" kind of thing. Church carnivals are a thing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

Man that looks cool as hell. I’ll have to try to go to that sometime.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

lmao capitalism ok yeah well so is everything else

State Fairs are also an opportunity for people in rural, ag-based communities to gather with others who live the same way. It's Farmer Con, but instead of cosplaying, everyone is actually a farmer. If you're closest neighbor is five miles away, you need an opportunity to see and celebrate with other human beings.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Church fairs are a big thing around here. We have like 20 different ones in my city during the summer. It's really small scale. Just on the church grounds with the school attached to it so a slightly bigger church mostly. Mostly Catholic. My favorite thing about it is the roasted corn dipped into a bucket of butter and handed to you. And mass amounts of beer.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
My favorite thing about my old church's fair was the cake walk. Everyone makes their best cakes and through sheer luck you might get to take home one. People made enough cakes that mostly everybody came away with one.

There was also the international food stall area which was this long lane of booths that a family would rent out and sell their food out of. It was a southern Catholic church so we had some really good soul food and food from all over central and south america. I had my first authentic elote there!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Bloop posted:

I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

Clam cakes?! :kiddo: :backtowork:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The reason you go to a state fair (I've only been to the mn state fair but hoo buddy have I ever been there) as an adult is to watch the absolute horror that is the American public feasting on state fair food and drink.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TheAardvark posted:

Depending on the size/permanence of the fair, there is nearly always a ferris wheel of some type and maybe some ride a carnie put together yesterday that probably won't kill anyone

If you think that's scary you should see the carnival helicopter rides, and I don't mean this:

I mean an actual, literal helicopter that's maintained and flown by carnies. $20 to get flown around the carnival for 5 minutes.

I went on a date at a small carnival in Texas and there was a helicopter pilot flying like a psycho, flip flopping around and flying very low over the crowds and rides. We weren't even on the helicopter and we were terrified and thought we were going to die. We left immediately.

All I could find was this terrible video of a central Florida fair helicopter ride:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPfau0bnaE

And some photos of a man absolutely loving his ride at a fair in South Carolina:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I really hope that whenever I visit the US there is a state fair going on nearby :shobon:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have memories of my first helicopter ride in probably like 1992 at my towns fair and it looked identical inside and out to that lol.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Requiescat in pace

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

SavageMessiah posted:

Are fireman's carnivals A Thing? I always looked forward to them when I was a kid. It's basically a state fair type thing to raise money for the fire department (small town PA in this case). It was held the week of the 4th so the fireworks were part of the experience. The FD set up a big pavilion where they cooked so that sorta displaced most of the fair food.

Yea they used to have one in my town but they stopped like 2-3 years ago and it's sad

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grimdude posted:

The last state fair I went to had a beard of bees demonstration that was 100% free. That and gawking at the show chickens was the best part, never mind the 8 dollar snow cones. Also one of the best places to go to see fiber arts! And childrens' science fair projects! Other than a science fair I guess...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
County fairs in rural America were born as regional get togethers for a population that rarely saw anyone off the farm. Agricultural competitions were a big part of that, and remain today with gardeners getting super serious about getting a blue ribbon zucchini or the lifetime achievement award in jam making. That part of county fairs is still around and is super cool. Today's fairs which center on rides for the kids/washed up bands/shopping for cheap crap at tent vendors isn't as cool, but it's not all there is. The really good county fairs will also have demolition derbies, tractor pulls, and even a rodeo or 5 round boxing competitions all if which is legit fun.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Dear Watson posted:

Do other countries do an equivalent to the all American state fair? Or are we the only ones that celebrate prosperity with such a grotesque display of food abominations?

Look at that mouthwatering tray of Krispy Kreme donuts hamburgers from an American state fair

Fuckin would ngl.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
People get mad at america for deep frying piss or whatever but they cream themselves over a scotch egg.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

People get mad at america for deep frying piss or whatever but they cream themselves over a scotch egg.

In Scotland they deep fry the McRib.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I saw Kendrick Lamar perform at my state fair. He didn't rap any of the swear words, I assume so the hicks wouldn't get their panties in a twist. Still a p good show

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Outrail posted:

How many people inject lead pellets into their puckins to cheat the weigh in?

Weka posted:

This all just sounds like an American version of a market.

Edit: /\
New tfr thread idea: what shotgun rounds can I buy to increase the weight of my pukins?

They use hevi shot.

Its hevier

E:

Fuckin nobody has mentioned ROBOSAURUS!

https://youtu.be/sC4Bups3r3Q?t=2

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm hoping in 5 or 10 years to take up competitive plowing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I have been to not one, but two [animal] pie bingos. One with a cow, one with a goat.

Here's an example if y'all haven't seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkxsBcQluA

The cow took his sweet time choosing a winner while the goat produced immediately.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I have been to not one, but two [animal] pie bingos. One with a cow, one with a goat.

Here's an example if y'all haven't seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkxsBcQluA

The cow took his sweet time choosing a winner while the goat produced immediately.

The Pennsylvania farm show is a great time.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

SavageMessiah posted:

Are fireman's carnivals A Thing? I always looked forward to them when I was a kid. It's basically a state fair type thing to raise money for the fire department (small town PA in this case). It was held the week of the 4th so the fireworks were part of the experience. The FD set up a big pavilion where they cooked so that sorta displaced most of the fair food.

I also went to the fireman's carnival every year, but it was also in rural PA. I remember you could get a screenprinted t-shirt of a drinking skeleton which was probably supposed to be a saucy, devil-may-care redneck kind of thing, but it scared me to death when I was a kid.

Not sure if they still hold that particular fireman's carnival after it caused a race riot for 2 years in a row.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

rain dogs posted:

I saw Kendrick Lamar perform at my state fair. He didn't rap any of the swear words, I assume so the hicks wouldn't get their panties in a twist. Still a p good show

You're sure it wasn't Kendrick Lamer?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also, if you go to the Iowa State Fair in a caucus year, you can get a pork chop (bone-in) cooked by a pork chop (Chris Christie)!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not the same as a State/County Fair, but in Melbourne every year there is the Melbourne Show. Show Day used to also be a public holiday, but I dunno if it still is.

It's billed as when the country comes to the city. It is held at the Showgrounds, (where else), right next to the big racecourse in the city. Ostensibly it's all about farmers showing off their animals, but for a suburban kid like me, it was all about the showbags, (plastic bags filled with overpriced plastic tat and buckets worth of chocolate and lollies. The Show was the only time I would ever eat a Bertie Beetle.)

The Melbourne Show also has The Mad Mouse. A small rollercoaster that has to be at least 70-80 years old by now. Coz when I used to ride it as a kid it was already old, rusty, decrepit and extremely dodgy. It wasn't that fast, but it was rickety and jerky, and every corner rattled both you and the structure and you felt it could collapse at any second. It is a wonder it hasn't killed anyone ... yet.

Also whilst fried poo poo is all well and good, the best carny style food is a hot jam doughnut. Where the filling is so hot you burn the roof of your mouth. And it's never from a real shop, always from a parked van.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I wanna call foul on this one. Every pub in Australia does a fisherman's basket, for all the cowards who won't order a steak or chicken parmy.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

I'm catching up in this thread, but to quote the creepy insurance eagle... I've got something for you!

Swedish restaurant in Wisconsin serving (now quasi) traditional Swedish food, and the main attraction of having goats on the roof! Our family has a home up on the peninsula, so we went there multiple times every summer.

I wish I took more pictures of my road trip from Minneapolis to The Badlands and Devil's Tower. Stopped into some really cute places, some haggard, and a whole lotta stares thanks to my blue Challenger (5.8l v8 baby!).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I wish I took more pictures of my road trip from Minneapolis to The Badlands and Devil's Tower. Stopped into some really cute places, some haggard, and a whole lotta stares thanks to my blue Challenger (5.8l v8 baby!).

I have many vehicles but one of them is a bigass diesel truck and I swear to god driving that thing is like GOP camouflage.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The reason you go to a state fair (I've only been to the mn state fair but hoo buddy have I ever been there) as an adult is to watch the absolute horror that is the American public feasting on state fair food and drink.

You are forgetting the other things to do at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

Gaze upon the butter sculpture of the Fair Queen

Gaze upon the seed art

Gaze upon the miracle of live birth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVIvEjGXqc

edit for clarification: I lived in Minnesota for almost 12 years and I fukkin' love the State Fair.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 12, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

please dont post me or my beautiful family ever again

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

please dont post me or my beautiful family ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU