Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

Following the release of the acclaimed first entry in Sega's Yakuza franchise, it was only natural that a sequel would follow. The Yakuza franchise, known as Ryu ga Gotoku in Japan, is a series of crime dramas centered around Japan's criminal underworld. They're a unique blend of games, with a distinct blend of serious drama and bizarre goofiness that go together like butter on bread. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a remake of the second game in the saga, which follows the continued story of Kazuma Kiryu, the former fourth chairman of the once illustrious Tojo Clan, one of the biggest yakuza organizations in Japan, now in decline following a tumultuous year that saw the assassination of their chairman and the loss of 10 billion yen. With the threat of a war with the Omi Alliance, another one of the biggest yakuza organizations, Kiryu is pulled back into the folds of the criminal underworld to do all he can to stop all hell from breaking loose.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'll also show off some footage of the PS2 original every now and again for comparisons' sake when I feel it is appropriate. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator sworn brother Jobbo_Fett. Let's try to keep things spoiler free for this game and anything that chronologically happens after this, along with spinoffs. That means no spoilers for 3-6, Like a Dragon, Judgment, Dead Souls, the samurai spinoffs, etc. This does mean that the first game and 0 are fair game, however, and this game does assume you know what goes on in both of those titles. If you need to catch up, we have done full LPs of those two games, you can find links to them below. As for this LP, we'll shoot for two updates a week. This game is pretty lengthy, and while it's not as long as 0, we still have plenty of ground to cover.

Chapter 01 - Bound By Oath

Chapter 02 - The Dragon of Kansai

Chapter 03 - The Yakuza Huntress

Chapter 04 - The Four Kings of Omi

Chapter 05 - Hidden Past

Chapter 06 - Schemes

Chapter 07 - The Foreign Threat

Chapter 08 - Suspect

Chapter 09 - The Omi Invasion

Chapter 10 - Survivors

Chapter 11 - The Iron Creed

Chapter 12 - Osaka Castle

Chapter 13 - Settling Accounts

Chapter 14 - The Go-Ryu March

Chapter 15 - Blood and Bonds

Chapter 16 - Decision

Platinum Hostess Chats

Miscellaneous

Other Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio LPs we've done
Yakuza 0 (Cut commentary)
Yakuza Kiwami (Cut commentary)
Judgment (Cut commentary)

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fan Stuff

LP Beach
Tuxedo Ted shows us what true art is.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 23, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserving this too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*imagine Chaos Argate and I performing a strong handshake as our steely gazes meet*

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
drat, I'm playing Kiwami 2 myself right now, but I'm tempted to watch this LP instead since it's just not catching me in the same way Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 0 did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Weird timing! I am right now going through your Kiwami 1 LP. I just finished episode 20. You kinda suck at pool. :)
Good to see there's more coming, once I finish that and 0 afterwards.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's interesting how the Kiwami games seem to be made with the expectation that you're playing through the series in numbered order, while 0 seems to have been made with the intention of being played in release order, so it comes after 5. It makes it difficult to say which should be the entry point, 0 or Kiwami 1.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

White Coke posted:

It's interesting how the Kiwami games seem to be made with the expectation that you're playing through the series in numbered order, while 0 seems to have been made with the intention of being played in release order, so it comes after 5. It makes it difficult to say which should be the entry point, 0 or Kiwami 1.

I gotta say I would have enjoyed Kiwami 1 a hell of a lot less without having played 0 first.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Obviously, everyone should start by playing the original PS2 releases of the first two games. :v:

I joke because those games are pretty jank, especially the first one, but playing them really made me appreciate the ambition Toshihiro Nagoshi and his team had. Plus, most of the boss fights in Y1 are far less bullshit than their Kiwami counterparts!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Clearly the answer is to start with Judgment. :v:

I think that either 0 or K1 are fine entry points, K1 only for the story though, because those two games kinda have a symbiotic relationship where you're going to be missing parts from one game if you haven't played the other.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Weird timing! I am right now going through your Kiwami 1 LP. I just finished episode 20. You kinda suck at pool. :)
Good to see there's more coming, once I finish that and 0 afterwards.

I still haven't gotten any better at it! I would absolutely just pass off the controller to Jobbo if I could!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

Clearly the answer is to start with Judgment. :v:

I think that either 0 or K1 are fine entry points, K1 only for the story though, because those two games kinda have a symbiotic relationship where you're going to be missing parts from one game if you haven't played the other.

I still haven't gotten any better at it! I would absolutely just pass off the controller to Jobbo if I could!

*pssst*

Parsec

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yakuza 2 is the game that got me into the franchise bigtime. I will definitely be enjoying this LP.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Hence the conundrum. I've only played Y0 myself, but I think that K1 is probably a better introduction since it mostly seems to add easter eggs and call backs rather than being based around fleshing out the stories and characters of another game like Y0 is.

achtungnight posted:

Yakuza 2 is the game that got me into the franchise bigtime. I will definitely be enjoying this LP.

Had you played Y1 previously?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

White Coke posted:

Had you played Y1 previously?

Yeah, but I thought 2 had a better plot and main villain. Plus one story in a series, no matter how phenomenal, is just that- one story. You gotta expand with the sequel, up the stakes, get people hooked. Witness Empire Strikes Back vs the original Star Wars film, Two Towers vs Fellowship of the Ring, etc etc etc. People are usually more into the second story in the series than the first. They know it's going to be more than just a stand alone. If it's done right.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I know it's not the right game, but you guys mentioned it in the first video. Also, it's Friday night here.

https://twitter.com/YakuzaFriday/status/1350125468146683911

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Talking up the dragon engine like that, now I have to decide if I want to watch the LP or just go buy the game...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's on GamePass too if you have that! For both PC and Xbox! And very soon, the rest of Kiryu's saga will be there too!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't! But its $8 on humble, guess I'll be catching this LP after the fact to see all the side content I don't get to.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tommy Lee Jones was indeed in several Suntory Boss commercials

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I know this is probably coming way down the line, but I've been doing a lot of post-game completion, and I'm running into a wall with the Millionaire League championship match. Am I really just supposed to level all eight hostesses in the shift to max level, or is there some way to counter Yua's "get up and leave" Fever ability?

As always, great LP ChaosArgate, thank you!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

do NOT jack off posted:

I know this is probably coming way down the line, but I've been doing a lot of post-game completion, and I'm running into a wall with the Millionaire League championship match. Am I really just supposed to level all eight hostesses in the shift to max level, or is there some way to counter Yua's "get up and leave" Fever ability?

As always, great LP ChaosArgate, thank you!

We are definitely a ways off from getting to that point in the LP but my general advice for doing those matches is to get as many tables into fever time as possible, whether it be by popping your actual fever time or by getting session extensions. Enemy fever times can't hurt your patrons already in fever time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The negotiations were short!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Kiryu's been framed for assault

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

One thing Chaos didn't really show in the episode was how cool the front garden of Omi HQ looks in the PS2 version. We got a brief glimpse of it, but here's a better shot from my current playthrough:

Love those faked reflections. As far as I can tell, it's just a texture and some geometry drawn underneath the floor (quite a bit like the reflections on the tanker deck in MGS2) but it looks really nice and would probably look even better on a CRT. The Kiwami 2 version is probably more realistic, but looks quite bland in comparison.

Also, Ryuji has way less health in the original.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

re: flying knee through door, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8KE3JFeXaQ

it's not the one i was remembering when i started searching but it still fits!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I was going to say it probably was a Tony Jaa movie considering Muay Thai is very much into knee strikes.
Pretty sure that's the movie where he does a flaming flying knee as well.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

looks like my brain actually made an amalgamation of a couple of shots from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-izp4GJ0A0

(the colour and motion of the big running knee in front of the huge statue from ong bak, the shattering glass door from the protector, a couple other bits and pieces)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I can confirm the part where you take Sayama to Aoi is kinda bullshit on the PS2.

That's literally a couple of pixels from the end. Her health drains so fast in general that I'm pretty sure it's impossible to actually complete this if you get accosted by an NPC.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I enjoy seeing all the different devices Kiryu has each game. Flip-phone, smartphone, pager...

I can't wait for Kiryu to use an Apple Watch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I enjoy seeing all the different devices Kiryu has each game. Flip-phone, smartphone, pager...

I can't wait for Kiryu to use an Apple Watch.

A smartwatch does show up in Judgment on one of the side characters! Its kinda used as part of a quest to help locate them when they get kidnapped!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been liking the videos, but it gets a little jarring when you auto complete the text boxes for characters that are in an animation, and they suddenly cut off whatever animation they were doing

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been liking the videos, but it gets a little jarring when you auto complete the text boxes for characters that are in an animation, and they suddenly cut off whatever animation they were doing

Yeah, I know what you mean, but unfortunately, letting the animations play out fully would mean going through the text at a glacial pace because sometimes the animations go on for way longer than the text scrolls. I don't remember how bad that is with Kiwami 2, but I've definitely noticed it with Judgment and Like a Dragon.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Well that was a terrific game. I bought Yakuza 0 because of your LP and I just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Well that was a terrific game. I bought Yakuza 0 because of your LP and I just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to the series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The rest of the franchise is a pretty wonderful saga and I hope you'll work your way through the others as well!