Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol this looks ridiculous in a good way
https://twitter.com/TimesSqKungFu/status/1242915092812963840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
John Witch

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

this is a pretty okay movie

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I watched this a good while back - the actiony bit in the last 20mins is great but to get to it you have to sit through what feels like a full Korean Schoolgirl TV Movie. I guess it makes the violence at the end seem more shocking, but I was gritting my teeth to get through the first 4/5 of the film.

I will still watch Pt.2 if it comes out though.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

seen the Oldman version at least twice and loved it. this is my first time through the TV version, which makes it funny to remember some of the movies plot points and then sit there waiting for them lol. Smileys people seems to have more going on.

i had to watch the oldman tinker tailor twice to actually understand who everyone was and what their motivations were. it really does not hold your hand as a viewer imo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

seen the Oldman version at least twice and loved it. this is my first time through the TV version, which makes it funny to remember some of the movies plot points and then sit there waiting for them lol. Smileys people seems to have more going on.
oldman ttss absolutely does not hold your hand if youre not already familiar with story

i was interested in the different way that oldman played smiley. guinness had done the definitive version and oldman needed to give his version it sown spin and he settled on a smiley that was a little rougher and with more broken furniture in his attic, which was a good choice

have you gotten to the point in the tv version where they reveal karla? if you dont already know its a fun yospos sf thread surprise

finally: sian phillips :swoon:

FMguru fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 10, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I will still watch Pt.2 if it comes out though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Glorgnole posted:

i had to watch the oldman tinker tailor twice to actually understand who everyone was and what their motivations were. it really does not hold your hand as a viewer imo

FMguru posted:

oldman ttss absolutely does not hold your hand if youre not already familiar with story

I was not familiar w/ the story at all and put the film on after getting home from an evening's drinking.

Yeah, went as well as you would expect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just watch the miniseries to get the story first and then don't bother watching the movie because even though it's decent, the miniseries is better anyway.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FMguru posted:

I watched it, then read the book, then watched it again and I still didn't get half of what was going on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

does anyone listen to any science or science news podcasts, especially physics/astronomy/cosmology based? anything good out there? nothing focusing on the pandemic if possible

e: and not radiolab or anything remotely like radiolab

indigi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 10, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

does anyone listen to any science or science news podcasts, especially physics/astronomy/cosmology based? anything good out there? nothing focusing on the pandemic if possible

same

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

I would also like recs here, also for biology/climate/ecology, also excluding radiolab.

So far I've found:

- In Our Time has some science episodes. Sometimes these focus more on the history of science but they are always good. This is the only one I actually enjoy listening to physics topics on, way less bs and more knowledgeable guests than most places.

- For ecology and biology Outside / In is interesting and fun. Recently they've take a pretty hard turn towards social issues, which they are perfectly good on (the series on Canadian hydro is great), but if you're looking for more nature focussed stuff start with their older episodes.

- Costing the Earth, occasional BBC climate change podcast. Pretty good with some interesting topics and it doesn't suffer too badly from BBC brain.

- Dirtbag Diaries had an occasional series called endangered spaces which I enjoyed.

- RSPB podcast and Just the Zoo of us are both pretty bad but I struggle for content elsewhere

- Vox did a good series on meat farming on future perfect, and the Ezra Klein show climate episodes are also good, although both are quite political (in a good way). I used to be pretty big on carbon tax and dividend, ala people's policy project, but this convinced me that while in a perfect world that would be good it's too late and industrial policy is the way forward

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pointsofdata posted:

- In Our Time has some science episodes. Sometimes these focus more on the history of science but they are always good. This is the only one I actually enjoy listening to physics topics on, way less bs and more knowledgeable guests than most places.

seconding In Our Time. it covers a very broad range of topics from science to philosophy to literature to history and everything in between, and there are 22 years worth of episodes to comb through so you're sure to find something interesting whether its dark matter, chinese legalism, or welsh mythology. it does tend to be a bit more about the thinking around the topic and the historical context that created it rather than the topic itself, but still worth listening to.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sopranoscaps/status/1347960938146762753

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I used to really enjoy listening to Science Friday when it was broadcast on my old NPR station:
https://www.sciencefriday.com/

No bullshit production or anything, it's just the host being a big ol nerd and talking to people who do real science about new and exciting stuff in a variety of fields.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indigi posted:

cause he sucks to work with and everyone hates him

i am saddened to hear this

quote:

and he’s also not very good actually

I mean he only plays one dude but he plays that dude VERY WELL

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

indigi posted:

Isaac Arthur does a lot of speculative science and future stuff. He has a speech impediment so it's kind of like listening to Elmer Fudd talking about the feasibility of Dyson swarms.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Carthag Tuek posted:

Drive was probably refn's most hollywood movie

if you thought Valhalla was slow, try "too young to die" (or the other way aorund). its like a regular 2hr movie stretched to 10 hour-long episodes lol

Too Old to Die Young is incredibly good and very cspammy. absolutely gorgeous slowburning cinematography with vibrant colors and non-sensical deep purples-reds-blue neon lights everywhere. giant cabal of literal fascism-saluting cops, psychics outing the elite pedophiles. it owns. anyone who's a Refn fan should check it out. preferrably with edibles though beceause yes it is a slow movie/series often just entire scenes where people kind of stare at each other and say a few words every 15 seconds

refn is kind of like hollywood-version of kojima (and kojima makes an appearance in TOTDY and Refn shows up in Death Stranding as a major character). both pretty polarizing and niche

but yeah Drive is his most hollywoody movie for sure and pretty straight forward

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 11, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr1NMzPVCSA

the motel fight scene is really good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
and when he flips out on the elevator and the lady realises he's a total psycho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

finished akira vol 3 yesterday and it was really great. the last 15 or whatever pages where akira blows his top were some of the best comic art i've ever seen. having that in physical form was worth the price of the boxed set. i told ms jones about it, it was very dorky

vols 4-6 are really big, then i have nausicaa, then i have world of edena. all that assumes i won't get distracted by books that don't have pictures (and that i can read on a kindle)

also i have still been taking shaw bros to the dome. i watched crippled avengers and it was great (chiang sheng's character didn't age super well but he rules so 🤷‍♀️). that made me watch invincible shaolin so now i'm prob gonna watch venom mob stuff that i've missed. so glad that i'm revisiting these movies (and finding new ones) when i'm older and not afraid to genuinely love things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I always assumed Akira was a girl

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

vols 4-6 are really big, then i have nausicaa, then i have world of edena. all that assumes i won't get distracted by books that don't have pictures (and that i can read on a kindle)

I have the nausicaa box set, it is very good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
made me lol after watching ww84
https://twitter.com/cody_horrible/status/1343199084098809857

quote:

they all tripped and scattered papers onto the ground and no one helps them and that’s how they became villains

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol Rikers grin in the second gif :madmax:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol Rikers grin in the second gif :madmax:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amos is such a fuckin hunk god drat

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

indigi posted:

Amos is such a fuckin hunk god drat

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
good news: new season of disenchanted drops this friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuxsXfwl2I

bad news: avclub hated it https://tv.avclub.com/disenchantment-gets-bogged-down-in-plot-and-loses-sight-1846031790

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
s2's animation quality dropped like a rock. i had to bail

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FMguru posted:

good news: new season of disenchanted drops this friday

that’s not good news at all, op

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

that’s not good news at all, op
Maybe they're dropping it directly in the trash can?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

Maybe they're dropping it directly in the trash can?

worked for wonder woman 1984

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

remember when anchorman 2 forgot to tell any jokes at all?

also season 5 of arrested development?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so i guess it's just a trend in comedy writing then? don't write any jokes, just make absolutely everything "situational comedy"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think there's this thing where writers fall so in love with their characters that them doing normal things is somehow hilarious sans actual comedy, that said it's not like disenchantment had a crazy rabid fanbase and half a dozen emmys going in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I tried to like it but couldn't get into it