Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So here I was, going through life, where I hear about a Pokemon romhack called "Pokemon Unbound". It seems to have some nice features, updating FireRed's generation 3 engine to one based off of Gen 8, 'mons from gens 1-7, with some nice QoL stuff imported from later gens. Plus, I'm always looking for more Pokemon in the lulls between main series games. The page for the hack is a little worrying, saying that is has "complex puzzles designed to test the limits of your patience and perseverance", but I decided to press forward.

And then the game asked me if I wanted to use the edgy version of the plot, and I knew what must be done.

What's your Pokemon experience?

You think you know Pokemon. But you merely adopted Pokemon; I was born into it, molded by it!

...That is to say, I've been playing Pokemon ever since gen 2, when I was 4. I've played every main series game since then, but I would still say I fall into the category of "casual player with too many Pokemon facts rattling around their brain" as I've never been into competitive battling or anything. Nevertheless, this isn't my first Pokemon rodeo, even if it's my first time playing Unbound.

Spoilers?

This is a blind playthrough so absolutely no spoilers, not even under tags. If it seems I'm about to hit something that's going to massively gently caress me over in the future though, feel free to nudge. A little.

Content warnings?

Unfortunately, I can't help you out there. The hack information has no content warnings listed, and all I know is that it promises "violence" and "edge". Therefore, until we get deeper into the game, assume that you may be triggered. If anything comes up that I or the thread feels like ought to be tagged, I'll add it to this section here.

Finally, a format note.

All text from the game is like this.

Any text that's my own words is italicized.

Table of Contents
Update 1: The Backstory-ing
Update 2: Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen
Update 3: Burn Baby Burn
Update 3: Around Town
Update 5: Errands
Update 6: Through Icicle Cave
Update 7: The One Where I Catch Some Pokemon
Update 8: 420
Update 9: Into the Woods
Update 10: Cinder Volcano
Update 11: Nothing Happens
Update 12: Blackout
Update 13: Hoopa ex Machina
Update 14: Backtracking and Evolutions

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This post reserved.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 1: The Backstory-ing

As you would expect, when you open the game you get dumped to the start screen. Hitting start plays Unbound Hoopa's cry, also as you would expect.

We're here for every moment of plot, so there's no way we're turning the cutscenes off. It is at least an option you can change later in game, which is better than Game Freak does.

: turn the tides of battle...

: As soon as it entered the battlefield, the dark force used its power to create portals and transport the invading army back to Kalos...

Hoopa then creates portals which cover the other Pokemon.

: However, their king, overcome by his lust for power, sent the Borrain army through the portals as well...

: Many more men and Pokemon were conscripted to fight and inevitably met their end on the battlefield. One such Pokemon having been a dear friend of the Kalosian king...

Overcome with grief, the king built a device to restore its life, granting himself immortality in the process.

: Unable to forgive the world that had hurt his precious Pokemon, he turned his machine into a giant weapon, the Ultimate Weapon. The king became a bringer of destruction that ended the war.

The screen shakes as the Ultimate Weapon is fired.

In the defense of the hack creator, outside of the mentions of the region this game takes place in, this is the actual canon backstory of XY. Sometimes Pokemon is weird.

: returned home. The king's Pokemon left him, and the battlefield became silent...

: for ample compensation from the Borrian king. When he had nothing to offer them, they began to manipulate the dark force to attack the Borrian kingdom in an attempted coup.

: legendary Pokemon:

: the Pokemon that shaped the universe, a prison was created for the dark force, sealing its power.

I'm not sure how the bird trio did that, considering they seem to just be powerful, rare birds, but ok. Also: oh boy, another hack with Arceus...

: his progeny, until one fateful day...

: I fear my time's almost up...

: If this next experiment goes south, it will fall right into his hands...

: But without my guidance, I worry that he'll settle on it as an alternative method for achieving his goal...

And that's why I need to do this!

He throws the Poke Ball into the river.

: There's no point in you sticking around any longer... Just promise me one thing... Please, watch over my child...

Arceus flies off, probably to eat some space grass because it's a magic goat thing be the Abrahamic god, but a Pokemon.

Our presumptive dad also flies off.

This new guy in the hood paces up and down the beach before...

: How can I fulfill Grampy's wish if I can't even catch a single Pokemon!

: will even be possible!

: If you're real, give me a sign that everything will work out!

The Poke Ball suddenly pops out of the ocean.

: Arceus is real after all...

Hoopa looks around in confusion.

: It's time for the eternal flower to bloom once more...

...if he's referring to AZ's Floette, didn't the plot of XY already let that happen?

Hoopa gets chased by this other dude in a hood until...

They run into these dudes.

And these dudes.

Hoopa then transforms into its Unbound form before we hit the title screen.

The game then goes into a couple standard disclaimers about it being a free fangame and advises which emulators to not play it on.

: Speak to people, and check things wherever you go, be it towns, roads or caves.

The world and its people are alive. As you grow, they will grow along with you.

So keep this in mind: you actions can affect and change the world around you.

Not ever decision you make will result in the same outcome.

So maybe this game has "real choices" that affect the plot? ...that's never gone wrong in a game before.

As usual, we can choose to play as a boy or a girl.

You can also choose the PC's skin color, but there's only three options: light, medium, and dark.

You can also change their hair color, which includes the standard realistic choices and some fun anime colors too.

And finally, clothing colors, which come in most of the common colors you can think off. A lot of them look... a little oddly recolored though.

Finally, you can choose a seven-character name.

According to the hack readme, Vanilla is supposed to replicate standard Pokemon gameplay, while Difficult is supposed to be a little harder. Meanwhile, Expert and Insane sound extremely unfun in their difficulty. I'm not here to suffer more than I have to, so I'm going Vanilla. Besides, I doubt it will be as easy as official Pokemon, knowing fangames.

But now we're getting to the moment I realized I
had to blind LP this game.

Oh. Oh no.

In Unbound's defense, it does default to "no". It even asks you to confirm.

: If violence and edge are not what you're looking for, it is highly recommended to play with the lighter version of the story.

Unfortunately, we ARE sure.

Alright as for the thread's assignment...

Are we a boy, or a girl?
What's our skin, hair, and clothes color?
And what is our name? (Seven characters long, please.)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh. Oh no. This looks like it's going to go places.

:allears:

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Skin: White
Hair: Blue Hair
Clothes: Green Clothes

Those are my choices.

This seems like it will be interesting.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I expect impressive, yet obnoxious things from this hack; iirc it was developed on a custom battle engine overhaul for the FireRed disassembly, and the other hack I played that uses it is actually quite fun if you ignore any and all of the original writing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp.

Skin: Light
Hair: Pink
Your call on the clothes.

Looking forward to the wacky story.

Remember, folks: It can't be worse than Pokémon Reborn.™

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Quackles posted:

Voting this. This shall be an amusing read if it gets far, methinks. Ground floor!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Girl, dark skin, pink hair, dealer's choice on clothes, let's call her Marysue

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The ride never ends. :pkmnwhy:

What is it with Pokemon that induces people to create all this ridiculous grimdark "what if Wobbuffet was a war criminal" fanfiction of it? The only other IPs I can think of that are like this are Sonic and My Little Pony. It's just worrying.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

megane posted:

What is it with Pokemon that induces people to create all this ridiculous grimdark "what if Wobbuffet was a war criminal" fanfiction of it? The only other IPs I can think of that are like this are Sonic and My Little Pony. It's just worrying.

There is a very simple rule of fandom:

People try to make fanworks that provide what's missing from the source material.

To use My Little Pony as an example, it is a show that is almost universally upbeat and happy, even when the actual plot points get wack.
So people make the dark stuff the show doesn't provide. (This is also the case with the cartoon Danny Phantom. Upbeat superhero cartoon about a half-ghost kid. The fandom goes hard on angst, believe me.)

And it doesn't just stop there. It goes in other fandoms. Miraculous Ladybug fan fiction tends to focus on shipping, or particularly on breaking the 'love square' pattern the show adheres to where they've been working together for seasons and no one has realized which civilian and hero identities are linked. Over in Hollywood, Marvel Cinematic Universe fanfiction focuses on ending the emotional arcs the actual moviemakers dropped. And so on.

Heck, for Paper Mario - a generally easy RPG series - people make difficulty hacks.

So yeah. There's so much dark stuff in Pokémon because Pokémon, for the most part, isn't.
(They did try going there in Gen 5, but it didn't stick. So here we are.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
You really wanna dump all this lore on us right at the beginning of the game? You couldn't find a more organic way of doing it that didn't make my eyes glaze over?

Thanks for reminding me to get the Zeta LP back up and running. I'll be interested in seeing how this goes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh boy, here we go again...

Quackles posted:

Heck, for Paper Mario - a generally easy RPG series - people make difficulty hacks.

People named "Quackles" as of fairly recently. Best wishes on the project BTW.

And your note about fanworks and what and why people make them is extraordinarily on point. I'll have to steal that from you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omnicrom posted:

People named "Quackles" as of fairly recently. Best wishes on the project BTW.

Thanks! And sorry, I couldn't resist. :cheeky:

Omnicrom posted:

And your note about fanworks and what and why people make them is extraordinarily on point. I'll have to steal that from you.

Please do! I stole it from Tumblr.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think I'm pretty numb where edgy Pokemon hacks are concerned, this really doesn't seem awful. A bit eye rolling but it doesn't seem any stupider than canon at the moment. And the sprites etc look good.

Which means that the 'grit' is going to come out of nowhere and probably be awkwardly stapled on top of what's likely a not-terrible generic Pokemon plot and will read like someone literally edited a script to add swearing and blood splatters.

Leraika posted:

Sure, why not.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Quackles posted:

Welp.

This and let’s name her Madoka. Who else fits a story that seems light but has some serious edge waiting to hit you when you don’t expect it?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Oh boy oh boy, I remember this game basically took over the Pokemon Fangame subreddit, to such a degree that the mods had to create a quarantine thread just so people could talk about other things without being drowned out. I'm fully expecting all the 'best' the Pokemon fandom is capable of to be on display.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Having the default option to make it non-gritty makes me wonder if the makers were like "oh geeze this is kind of dumb" at some point making it, but didn't want to turn away people who were already into the early builds or whatever.

Leraika posted:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Girl, dark skin, pink hair. Don't care about the name.

Lmao that it asks you to confirm that you want to play the "edgy version", but not your difficulty choice. That's definitely a good sign.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

Welp.

Damanation posted:

This and let’s name her Madoka. Who else fits a story that seems light but has some serious edge waiting to hit you when you don’t expect it?
I can't argue with this.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 13, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Getting in on the ground floor.

Girl
Dark skin
Pink hair
Blue clothes

X-ing Madoka as a name.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Black Robe posted:

Which means that the 'grit' is going to come out of nowhere and probably be awkwardly stapled on top of what's likely a not-terrible generic Pokemon plot and will read like someone literally edited a script to add swearing and blood splatters.
The option to turn off the edginess does kinda seem to confirm right at the start that none of that edginess is actually integral to the plot.

Quackles posted:

Damanation posted:

This and let's name her Madoka. Who else fits a story that seems light but has some serious edge waiting to hit you when you don't expect it?
Adding a vote for this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Quackles posted:

Welp.

This looks good.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Quackles posted:

Welp.

Seconding... or I guess six-ing this. I have a thing for anime pink hair for some reason.

Also, I want to say "Don't go betting on that", but... well, it takes a combination of a factors and the stars aligning in just such a way to produce something like Reborn. We almost certainly will not see that level achieved here.

As for the game itself, I haven't heard of this one. For the OP, do you have any points of comparison for the Dark vs. Normal story? There's probably only some minor differences, but I'm feeling a little tempted to play along with the LP (I haven't been playing anything much lately and I haven't had a Pokemon game to play since Sword).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Welp.

Damanation posted:

I wasn't going to vote on character creation but this is too perfect, so this.

Also I feel this isn't a bad start for a fangame. The "edgy" backstory is partly from an actual Pokemon game, so it isn't super out of place, there's no weirdly drawn fakemon from day one, the whole "world is big, take your time" thing at the beginning, while overused, is actually quite nice and calm which is usually the opposite of what these games want, and the actual edgy writing is heavily signalled and the game actually tries to stop you from taking it (twice, even, between defaulting to "no" and asking again if you really want to). Hell, even the difficulty is selectable when usually these games try to go hard.

I'm quite impressed and in a good way right now. Can't wait to have that shattered.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I mean, we might recall that Pokémon Reborn was, on a technical level, extremely proficient.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Psycho Knight posted:

As for the game itself, I haven't heard of this one. For the OP, do you have any points of comparison for the Dark vs. Normal story? There's probably only some minor differences, but I'm feeling a little tempted to play along with the LP (I haven't been playing anything much lately and I haven't had a Pokemon game to play since Sword).

I’m about as blind as you can get for this game, so I have no idea. I’ve read first post of the thread where you can download the hack, its readme, and the opening I’ve posted.

I’m expecting it’s going to be minor changes though since it’s a binary choice that they seem to be at least a little embarrassed about. I’m definitely not expecting a Reborn and I’m hoping for something more like an Insurgence: the edgy bits are dumb and tacked on but the gameplay is enjoyable for a fan and the plot is fine if you ignore the edge or have it turned off.

Additionally what made Reborn so bad imo wasn’t really the edge, it was the fact it drew on RL events (or at least the presumed RL events considering it came from an RP chatroom) for its edge. I don’t expect that from this game, just bad fanfiction.

And lord knows I wrote bad edgy Pokémon fanfic as a teen, I just never had the skills to turn it into a fangame.

Or finish any of it. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Reborn was also determined to make the actual gameplay as miserable as possible, in fairness. Limiting the pokemon selection to 'utter trash' and removing anything someone discovered had a use so you were forced into one team composition per boss battle. Removing all sane methods of level grinding. Having clunky puzzles that didn't work in the game engine (have we all forgotten the chess game in an engine that really couldn't cope with diagonal movements?). Gating progress behind an endless nest of sidequests within sidequests within sidequests so it took literal hours of gameplay to bypass a rock.

It's the edge we all remember but let's not forget the physical game was also a nightmare.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm guessing the creator saw the Hoopa movie and was like "it can beat every legendary Pokemon, it's the most powerfulest ever, I have an idea!!!"

Also I'm guessing the "edgy" story is exactly the same except everyone says gently caress and there's a suicide or three.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m about as blind as you can get for this game, so I have no idea. I’ve read first post of the thread where you can download the hack, its readme, and the opening I’ve posted.

I’m expecting it’s going to be minor changes though since it’s a binary choice that they seem to be at least a little embarrassed about. I’m definitely not expecting a Reborn and I’m hoping for something more like an Insurgence: the edgy bits are dumb and tacked on but the gameplay is enjoyable for a fan and the plot is fine if you ignore the edge or have it turned off.

Additionally what made Reborn so bad imo wasn’t really the edge, it was the fact it drew on RL events (or at least the presumed RL events considering it came from an RP chatroom) for its edge. I don’t expect that from this game, just bad fanfiction.

And lord knows I wrote bad edgy Pokémon fanfic as a teen, I just never had the skills to turn it into a fangame.

Or finish any of it. :v:

Good to know. I may try downloading it tonight and giving it a shot on "Normal." I'll let the thread know if there's any major deviations. Like you said, however, there's probably only some minor changes along the lines of "You killed him!" vs. "You hurt him!" Still, it might be fun to play along with the LP. Lord knows I'm starved of Pokemon content.

I also wrote Pokemon fanfiction when I was a teen (that still exists online, for now). Mine wasn't edgy though. Also I was simply the ringleader of the group rather than the sole "creative" force. Either way, it most certainly was bad and I would never consider using it as the basis for a fangame. Some things are better left buried in the past.

I won't argue that Reborn's awfulness is in large part due to the RL events surrounding it, but I wouldn't discount it's edginess completely. Pure edginess is the source of my avatar. Also:

Fedule posted:

I mean, we might recall that Pokémon Reborn was, on a technical level, extremely proficient.

This. I think the edginess, when combined with the slavish amount of work that went into it, is one reason why none of these games will be able to approach that level. This one is just a hack, right? They could put Pokemon baby murder in here and it still wouldn't crack Reborn's level absent the scripted scenes.

Black Robe posted:

It's the edge we all remember but let's not forget the physical game was also a nightmare.

To be fair, it's what we all remember because we weren't the poor sap that decided to self-flagellate by playing the game. Sheep is the one that suffered the gameplay, we just gawked at it.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 13, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Quackles posted:

There is a very simple rule of fandom:

People try to make fanworks that provide what's missing from the source material.

To use My Little Pony as an example, it is a show that is almost universally upbeat and happy, even when the actual plot points get wack.
So people make the dark stuff the show doesn't provide. (This is also the case with the cartoon Danny Phantom. Upbeat superhero cartoon about a half-ghost kid. The fandom goes hard on angst, believe me.)

And it doesn't just stop there. It goes in other fandoms. Miraculous Ladybug fan fiction tends to focus on shipping, or particularly on breaking the 'love square' pattern the show adheres to where they've been working together for seasons and no one has realized which civilian and hero identities are linked. Over in Hollywood, Marvel Cinematic Universe fanfiction focuses on ending the emotional arcs the actual moviemakers dropped. And so on.

So yeah. There's so much dark stuff in Pokémon because Pokémon, for the most part, isn't.
(They did try going there in Gen 5, but it didn't stick. So here we are.)

I would agree that this is partially true, but isn't the whole story.

I think it's fair to say that most people who are into Pokemon enough that they would write fanfic or create a fangame got into the series when they were a pretty young child, as Pokemon is a franchise who's target demographic is elementary school-aged children. These people then started to grow up, and as they grow up they want more "grown up" stories. When you're a preteen or a teenager, often what that means to you is characters having dramatic deaths and swearing and violence and sex, because these are the things forbidden until you get older. So you're 13 and you like Pokemon but you also want to feel grown up and Pokemon is a franchise that stays very family-friendly for wide appeal. Therefore, you make fanwork that incorporates the thing you like (Pokemon) with the other thing you like ("mature" themes, where mature is defined as "the things adults say are for adult media").

So in this case, it's kinda trying to fill a void left by the series canon, but it's also just "I wanna write a MATURE story for ADULTS" because you're 13 and you think you're grown up, because that's how teenagers are.

A lot of fanwork I would argue actually is spawned by "I want more of this thing". I'll admit it: I read fanfic. Still. For me, it's basically for the same reason my mom watches Hallmark movies: it's disposable, cheap shlock. Most recently, I was going through a Natsume's Book of Friends fanfic trawl. Natsume's Book of Friends is, when you break it down, a story about an abused teenaged boy learning to heal now that he's finally escaped his abuse and making friends in the process. Most fanfic for the series is... Gen (that is, no shipping) stories about an abused teenaged boy learning to heal now that he's finally escaped his abuse and making friends in the process. People like the thing and they want more of the thing that the official releases can create (or in other cases, the official release is done), so they make more of the thing they like.

But keep in mind I'm someone who a) reads fanworks and b) is the bizarre person who plays Pokemon for the plot and human characters, so my favorite generations are 5 and 7.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think it's, just, like, sometimes a thing really catches people's imaginations even when the thing isn't really in and of itself much of a rich story experience.

Like, Pokémon, as a setting, is just, like, kind of loving wild? I had my time with Pokémon as a kid, and now I'm done with it, but every now and then I look in at the latest dex and see what silly stuff is just out there in the countryside for children to tame, and, like... I went out and saw and really loving enjoyed Detective Pikachu because it was exactly what I most wanted out of a franchise like this; a big shiny slice of life in a world that had actually managed to shape itself around the ridiculous fauna that inhabited it. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the actual mainline games themselves (particularly the timeless story of the child who set out one day and resolved to be the very best like no-one ever was) is kind of the least interesting thing about Pokémon? It's a world that seems to me to be stuffed with potential for hilarity and wonder and all that ever seems to come of it is making these things battle all the time. Of course people are gonna try and build on it.

I don't really think there's much wrong with mainline games stories. I don't think the stuff I describe is missing from them as much as it is, just, not really there. Maybe that's an academic distinction but I think it's important; really all it is is a gap between the limits of imagination and the limits explored by the presented thing, and while that gap is technically always infinite, sometimes it's a hell of a lot more obvious.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Current poll results:

quote:

Girl: 14

Skin Color:
Light: 9
Medium: 0
Dark: 5

Hair Color:
Blue: 1
Pink: 13

Clothes Color:
Green: 1
Blue: 1
LPer Choice: 12

Name:
Marysue: 3
Madoka: 5

Poll closes today at 3:30pm EST. There's still time to swing votes on skin color and names!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

hopeandjoy posted:

Current poll results:

Poll closes today at 3:30pm EST. There's still time to swing votes on skin color and names!

Since I didn't vote earlier, I guess I'll throw one in for MarySue. Poor Madoka doesn't deserve this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Madoka is good, but Mary Sue is funnier.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am excited to see where this romhack goes.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Madoka gets my vote.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MarySue.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Well, I'm not going to swing the other votes, and I don't really care either, but MarySue gets my vote for the name.

I'm excited to see how much of a trainwreck this edgier story is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dark skin and Madoka.