Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atrocious Joe posted:

so how long before we get a new Purge movie inspired by Jan. 6.

QAnon shaman could cameo as himself.

not-nancy pelosi talking about the loony left even as she's being led to the gallows by nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Forceholy posted:

Same reason you can say Alien is a Male Rape movie.

The basis is on the male fear of loss of dominance.

You aren't outright wrong, but the main character of Alien being a woman is part of the point of that particular film. But yeah the one guy gets raped by a facehugger and gives birth to the Alien.

Revenant is a good movie, bears and people are scary fuckers. Gross people liking to make rape jokes at any available chance is not news.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1349264922081976320

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

we're going to need a lot of copies of the SMG AI code :getin:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I already subscribe to RedLetterMedia you fuckin' dorks

also another great excuse to have a VR headset, going to the theater loving rules there, 3d movies look loving incredible on the Rift S

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Finished watching Preacher and the last season is full of reversals and do-overs, non-linear story-telling that doesn't work, half-thought out plots, unnecessary scenes, token inclusions of characters or ideas from the comic. And it ends 4 times. Which makes me wonder how a show ends up like this. A single round of editing would cut the flab and shift scenes into a more workable order. The actors must have realised their characters were unlikeable and their actions often illogical. Anyone reading the script would have flagged it for making little sense. Executive interference? No one thought it mattered?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nonathlon posted:

Finished watching Preacher and the last season is full of reversals and do-overs, non-linear story-telling that doesn't work, half-thought out plots, unnecessary scenes, token inclusions of characters or ideas from the comic. And it ends 4 times. Which makes me wonder how a show ends up like this. A single round of editing would cut the flab and shift scenes into a more workable order. The actors must have realised their characters were unlikeable and their actions often illogical. Anyone reading the script would have flagged it for making little sense. Executive interference? No one thought it mattered?

Ruth Negga was really incredible in Hamlet, I didn't bother with the finale of Preacher tragically after that show ran out of steam. Comics were really loving incredible, through. RIP Steve Ditko.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Comics were really loving incredible, through. RIP Steve Ditko.

this is darkly hilarious, so very appropriate when talking about a garth ennis creation

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Ruth Negga was great, and bought a lot to a character that was thinly drawn in the comics.

But I'd seriously recommend people only watch the first two series of Preacher. It seriously starts spinning its wheels after that.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1349223901969186816

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Taintrunner posted:

Ruth Negga was really incredible in Hamlet, I didn't bother with the finale of Preacher tragically after that show ran out of steam. Comics were really loving incredible, through. RIP Steve Ditko.

Dillon

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it's been uneasy how cops and troops put his logo on everything

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

liberals have been pushing this dipshit line for years, even on this very forum, and it’s so loving embarassing. chuds don’t loving read comics and they don’t give a gently caress what Disney/Marvel does with the character. if anything, “cancelling” punisher would only make him more popular.

if you actually read punisher, it’s pretty blatantly obvious dude loving hates cops lol.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Taintrunner posted:

liberals have been pushing this dipshit line for years, even on this very forum, and it’s so loving embarassing. chuds don’t loving read comics and they don’t give a gently caress what Disney/Marvel does with the character. if anything, “cancelling” punisher would only make him more popular.

if you actually read punisher, it’s pretty blatantly obvious dude loving hates cops lol.

i don't think they'd like the properly in character response, a long arc where castle sides with blm and goes to war with the police.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to cancel the Punisher because fascists use the skull symbol is incredibly late because have you seen cops and troops

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They don't like the Punisher because they know anything about the actual character, they like him for the image in their head of someone who uses violence to solve problems and gets away with it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Taintrunner posted:

yeah, anyone who thinks this will work should go look up how many calvin pissing on *thing* stickers exist

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The only thing that might work is changing what the punisher symbol means, which means changing the punisher fundamentally, which Marvel isn't going to do. And even if they started doing it now it's way too late anyway. It's pointless

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
it makes sense that there's no calvin peeing on a punisher logo stickers, but now that i've thought about it i want one very badly

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i don't think they'd like the properly in character response, a long arc where castle sides with blm and goes to war with the police.

I'm not a huge fan of legacy characters, but at this point making the Punisher a Black vet who goes to war with the cops after they murder his family is more contemporary of a story than Frank Castle's war against the mob.

Let Garth Ennis do the reboot and he can riff off the stories of Micah Xavier Johnson and Dorner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy Terror but he kills cops

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm not a huge fan of legacy characters, but at this point making the Punisher a Black vet who goes to war with the cops after they murder his family is more contemporary of a story than Frank Castle's war against the mob.

Let Garth Ennis do the reboot and he can riff off the stories of Micah Xavier Johnson and Dorner.

Marvel doesn't really do legacy characters the same way DC does, and they already set up an obvious "modern" successor in Rachel Cole-Alves but never pulled the trigger

and I cannot see Marvel ever doing that concept, they're a Disney subsidiary that does propaganda comics for Northrop Grumman with a long history of succ and copaganda

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The more skulls on your truck, the more dick problems you've got.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

oooo they got the rare Garth Ennis weighing in on things since he’s wisely kept off social media:

quote:

"I’ve said this before a couple of times, but no one actually wants to be the Punisher," Ennis exclusively told SYFY WIRE. "Nobody wants to pull three tours of duty in a combat zone with the last one going catastrophically wrong, come home with a head full of broken glass, see their families machine-gunned into bloody offal in front of their eyes and then dedicate the rest of their lives to cold, bleak, heartless slaughter."

"The people wearing the logo in this context are kidding themselves, just like the police officers who wore it over the summer," he added. "What they actually want is to wear an apparently scary symbol on a T-shirt, throw their weight around a bit, then go home to the wife and kids and resume everyday life. They've thought no harder about the Punisher symbol than the halfwits I saw [on Wednesday], the ones waving the Stars & Stripes while invading the Capitol building."

With regards to the skull symbol, he dismissed suggestions that it had any impact on inspiring the actions of those who adopt it. "No one’s going to suggest that the American flag is now a fascist symbol and should be treated as such, just because a bunch of would-be fascists employed it yesterday," Ennis said. "I doubt there’s anyone who would suggest that any of the clowns who wore the Punisher skull [Wednesday] would have acted any differently in DC had it or the character never existed. They did what they did because their demented turd of a leader convinced them the election had been stolen; if you're ready to take violent action on that basis then no bloody, silly T-shirt you wear will have any bearing on the line you've crossed. In fact, it's completely irrelevant

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

oooo they got the rare Garth Ennis weighing in on things since he’s wisely kept off social media:

quote:

"No one’s going to suggest that the American flag is now a fascist symbol and should be treated as such, just because a bunch of would-be fascists employed it yesterday,"

lol plenty of other reasons for that

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Well he's technically correct cause it isn't trump that made the american flag a fascist symbol.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Not his strongest point, for sure.

Then again he's had some hot takes in comic form over the years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Wrong, Garth. I am suggesting the American flag is a fascist symbol and should be treated as such.

So would millions of people around the world, lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

yeah remember the community that got built in Aurora CO when folks went to see the dark knight?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Taintrunner posted:

Wrong, Garth. I am suggesting the American flag is a fascist symbol and should be treated as such.

So would millions of people around the world, lmao
Look man, he's just trying not to get unpersoned by the liberal media establishment, he knows it's as much a fascist symbol if not moreso than a swastika made from iron crosses.

Enjoy this at-least 16-years-old video game remix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqs2DsbdvSM

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

watched Barton Fink yesterday, really cool movie

there's a political reading of it too which I didn't think about but found on wikipedia, the FBI agents have a German and Italian name, and here apparently Fink is an allegory for pre-war naive left-wing intellectuals.

The thing with him being out of touch and not really what the "common man" has to say and only cares about it as an abstraction seems pretty straightforward. I didn't even like the film at first because I hated Fink so much. Seems to me like there's many readings you could have about Fink's relationship to Charlie.

Apparently a sequel where Fink is a professor in the 60's or 70's might be made, that would be awesome.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Eh, Garth Ennis is one of those people from the UK that romanticize the idea of America. Like, they know the reality is poo poo, but they can't let go of the mythical dream of what its supposed to represent.

...which is kind of ironic because Ennis hates it when Americans do that to Ireland.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Eh, Garth Ennis is one of those people from the UK that romanticize the idea of America. Like, they know the reality is poo poo, but they can't let go of the mythical dream of what its supposed to represent.

...which is kind of ironic because Ennis hates it when Americans do that to Ireland.

poo poo, I love what America could be, but we're stuck with Amerikkka.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

poo poo, I love what America could be, but we're stuck with Amerikkka.

I feel ya, man...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Meat Miracle posted:

I feel ya, man...

I was thinking more in the vein of "What if we took seriously all our propaganda about being free and equal?"
Like those Chinese Marxist students who get disappeared for noticing that the CCP isn't actually communist, except in reverse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You really need to post the full map.

So many great band names.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ocean of Giant Waterspouts is a rockin' prog pirate metal band.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1349684452767756293?s=19

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You really need to post the full map.

So many great band names.

byob: orangutan surfing civilization
fyad: kanga rat murder society
qcs: strange fire area
gbs: radiation barrier
cspam: mad-hole country of the screamers
mod forum: island of the "god-watchers"

e:
lf: buried mystery city
helldump: crater area former home of tracking site

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Isn't that subreddit just the red pill for women?

So that means it's guys masquerading as women who subscribe to the red pill.