Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thanks! Yeah I definitely cut the post very short there. It's very much a global community and market, which is really cool. I like that Keycult is starting to do some stateside production and working with Salvun to produce their boards in Belgium, and I'm currently typing on an Austin with a PCB made by Gondolindrim! Thekey.company in the US producing Infinikey PBT versions of GMK sets is also really great, despite some of the early bumps in production. Seems like even with all the boards and switches and caps and vendors popping up, the demand is still far outpacing the supply everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

While all of that is indeed true, things are changing just a bit. There's a number of factories popping up in the EU and some more recent private group buys are having boards made in the US for shorter lead times, easier communication, and lack of tariffs.
Biggest thing I see overlooked is Signature Plastics. They're based in USA. But you also forgot the powerhouse that is Salvun in Belgium, who produces all sorts of things but is best known for his metal Artisan keycaps. Mekanisk in Norway, Jae in the UK, and of course Keycult who now is producing in house here in the US, but also sends some things to their factory in China.
And another aspect that shouldn't be overlooked is PCB's. There's a diaspora of designers all over the globe; Hineybush in USA, Gondolindrim in Brazil, Mechlovin, Wilba, AiO3, etc... Many of whom make their designs open source so you can just send the files off to the manufacturer of your choice (like JLCPCB) and have pcbs made as needed.

That pinging is either the switch spring, or leaf, or a combination of the two. Foam won't fix that. You can swap the switches, or just respring them with decent springs and that will likely resolve the problem.

Would lubing the springs also work too, or is it the spring's construction that is doing it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Would lubing the springs also work too, or is it the spring's construction that is doing it?

Cherry's springs are notoriously terrible (crunchy, inconsistent, and poorly terminated) to begin with. If you're taking them out to lube them, you're better off just replacing them.

I'd recommend Sprit springs, but only if you can find them from a vendor. Never buy from sprit directly; he's an rear end in a top hat and a scammer. He's hosed a bunch of people over with bogus shipping charges as well as straight up not delivered on orders. He also likely won't even deal with you unless you're ordering by the kilo so I wouldn't worry about it anyway. But they are the best springs.

TX springs are usually my go to. I prefer their 16mm as they are preloaded to give you a more linear feeling weight throughout the stroke, whereas the 14mm springs start off light at the top of the stroke and progressively feel heavier the further down you press. They come in all sorts of weights from 45-90g, so get whatever tickles your fancy.
Now, you don't have to lube these, but doing so certainly won't hurt anything. I use GPL-105 and bag lube.

Novelkeys also carries acceptable springs: https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-springs
Divinikey has Durock springs which are just fine. https://divinikey.com/collections/accessories/products/durock-gold-plated-springs

Get yourself a nice pair of long nose tweezers like the ones from iFixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Tweezers/IF145-020?o=5
They'll come in real handy when placing the springs so you can avoid getting oil on your fingers as well as avoid wiping off the lube you just applied.

Luckily you won't have to film the Cherry Blacks as the housings are already pretty snug and you won't see much benefit from it anyway. Filming will lengthen the pre-travel a little bit as well as change the sound so only do it to Cherry switches if that's what you're after. You can lube them if you like, again, that's also a preference thing since I don't find retooled blacks to be too scratchy. Lubing is a lot of work, takes a lot of time, and a lot of practice to get just right. I would recommend getting a few 10-packs of various switches and a couple containers of lube and practice on those to get a feel for it before going all in on a whole keyboard.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A bunch of cool info

Thanks for all this - the only thing really holding me back from going after the springs is the lack of a soldering kit. I have a buddy that has one that I am tempted to borrow, but I've never used one so I'll have to ask him to give me rundown on it.

One of the channels I watched did an excellent video on the Fusion for the springs, switches, etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iA7_q76WVY

That's something I'd like to do. Mechanical keyboards have been quite the rabbit hole lately.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Thanks for all this - the only thing really holding me back from going after the springs is the lack of a soldering kit. I have a buddy that has one that I am tempted to borrow, but I've never used one so I'll have to ask him to give me rundown on it.

One of the channels I watched did an excellent video on the Fusion for the springs, switches, etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iA7_q76WVY

That's something I'd like to do. Mechanical keyboards have been quite the rabbit hole lately.

Soldering is easy, desoldering is a pain unless you have the right tools.
Can you open just the switch tops without desoldering it?

Take a keycap off and take a pic of the switch in the plate and I can tell you if it's possible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I ordered directly from sprit to get some ALPS springs, I think it cost an arm and a leg but I didn’t get scammed

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

well after settling on both apple wired keyboards and the mx keys (they both don't hurt my hands, whereas most MK do because of the longer travel distance), I'm tempted to buy the Epomaker Niz Plum. Basically a HHK but for a $100 less. I'm tempted because the travel stroke is less than a mechanical keyboard, 35 grams is perfect, electro capacitive switches should out last me in theory, and they can take regular Cherry keycaps. Anyone in this thread have one?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What places would you guys suggest for bulk Cherry MX switch purchasing? Just looking for the basic ones like red or brown. I saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kvcw9f/kbdfans_packaging_should_we_bubble_wrap_it_nah/

And was originally going to order from KBDFans but decided maybe I should look elsewhere.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

huhu posted:

What places would you guys suggest for bulk Cherry MX switch purchasing? Just looking for the basic ones like red or brown. I saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kvcw9f/kbdfans_packaging_should_we_bubble_wrap_it_nah/

And was originally going to order from KBDFans but decided maybe I should look elsewhere.

Consider just bulk buying gateron switches instead. Way more vendors and the quality is better than Cherry.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Surprised I don't see Kailh Box Pinks discussed more often. From what I've read they're somewhere between whites and jades in tactility, although probably closer on the whole to whites. Woulda thought for a lot of people that'd basically mean they're just a better white. Is there some fatal flaw they have, or are they just too similar to other products to have gained much notice? Either way I ordered a set which I'll either hold onto to put in the GMMK Pro or put in a keyboard for my dad depending on how much I like them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

And another aspect that shouldn't be overlooked is PCB's. There's a diaspora of designers all over the globe; Hineybush in USA, Gondolindrim in Brazil, Mechlovin, Wilba, AiO3, etc... Many of whom make their designs open source so you can just send the files off to the manufacturer of your choice (like JLCPCB) and have pcbs made as needed.

gently caress I forgot about Maartenwut. The Plain60 is a good pcb.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got curious about those Durock T1s that I found when discussing switch plastics so I ordered a 20 pack to test with and threw them in my number row plus a few other places.

Obviously they're noticeably firmer than the MX Browns and Speed Coppers I've been used to, but surprisingly they're quieter. I think I'm going to be ordering a full set of these, I quite like it.

The smoked shell obviously has an impact on the amount of light that comes through the switch body but it's not as bad as you'd expect it to be for how dark they are.
It's really hard to get a good picture of this, but here's one next to one of the stock Kailh Speed Coppers:

And yes, I have realized since taking these pics that I put the arrow keys on backwards when I swapped the switches, this has since been fixed.

In the second pic with my overhead lights turned off you can see that the bleed through out underneath the key is significantly dimmed but the amount reaching the legend doesn't seem to be affected.

Also pictured, a set of Glorious Aura "pudding" style keycaps that I'm not sure about keeping. They look better in the second picture than in person thanks to the uneven lighting inherent to the Cherry style switch, in person the first one is a lot closer to reality. That said I do like the additional curve and slight differentiation from the surrounding keys the full OEM profile provides next to the stock DSA keys. (edit: Apparently the source I had for them being DSA was wrong and they're all OEM row 3)

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 13, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

You can get T1s with a clear housing if you prefer that to the smoky kind! (for example from here on Aliexpress)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stroop There It Is posted:

You can get T1s with a clear housing if you prefer that to the smoky kind! (for example from here on Aliexpress)
Yeah I did see that when I originally came across them, but I didn't want to wait for AliExpress so I went to Amazon where they only have the 67g in smoked and the 62g variant in clear.

It doesn't seem to impact the functionality of the backlighting that I care about and it looks a bit cooler when the caps are removed so I'll probably stick with smoked when I order more.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friends and I have chipped in to buy a friend a gaming PC since he's had a really poo poo year. I'm wondering if a mechanical keyboard will fit in the budget so he can really rejoin us in the PC master race. What's the best non-crap cheap option? Was thinking this but it's sold out. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-wired-tkl-mechanical-gaming-usb-keyboard-cherry-red-mx-switch/6003203.p?skuId=6003203

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

My friends and I have chipped in to buy a friend a gaming PC since he's had a really poo poo year. I'm wondering if a mechanical keyboard will fit in the budget so he can really rejoin us in the PC master race. What's the best non-crap cheap option? Was thinking this but it's sold out. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-wired-tkl-mechanical-gaming-usb-keyboard-cherry-red-mx-switch/6003203.p?skuId=6003203
1. That's really generous of you
2. Please never write "PC master race" again
3. I wouldn't really worry about a mechanical keyboard ... it's a nice suggestion, but he can really use anything.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
PC master race

mewse
May 2, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Velocifire vm01 is $45 from amazon usa and is amazing for the price

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

mewse posted:

Velocifire vm01 is $45 from amazon usa and is amazing for the price

Thanks I'll see if we have enough with the budget.

And hasn't the phrase made it all the way around to only be used as a joke?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks I'll see if we have enough with the budget.

And hasn't the phrase made it all the way around to only be used as a joke?

It hasn’t.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

KingKapalone posted:

Not sure what qualifies as 'cheap', but I think Tecware Phantom should fit the bill. Coolermaster MK730 is decent as well (big failing is the keycaps being cheap ABS rather than PBT, but your friend can easily replace with PBT if he cares enough). If you can look a little more expensive, Duckys are good, as are the Durgod 310 and 320. Probably go for brown switches as they're usually a safe beginner type of switch to have - they're very lightly tactile so won't be too different to someone who's used to linear, and aren't loud and clicky like blues.

mewse
May 2, 2006

How sturdy is the durgod k310 vs a ducky?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Found this cool little controller last week but was sad that the group buy ended early due to high demand.

Checked on it today, turns out they’re opening up again for 2 more days if you’re interested. Big dial and 6 switches.

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Depending on your area, it may be worth checking out Facebook market as well if you’re budget conscious but would like to get something considerably nicer than the $5 dell special

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mewse posted:

How sturdy is the durgod k310 vs a ducky?

You could use the Durgod as a shovel. It's solid.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redeyes posted:

PC master race
I want to pick a fight so bad but :golfclap:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

teethgrinder posted:

I want to pick a fight so bad but :golfclap:

lol couldn't help it. I got no skin(head) in this race.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I want a new keyboard. I do not want a keyboard-building hobby. I think I'm willing to pop in hot swap switches but am not willing to solder, and I don't really want to build a $400 keyboard.

Looking for tactile with a stronger bump than Cherry Brown, but ideally not as stiff as Clears. TKL or a little smaller: I want F-keys and separated arrow keys, but don't need the full width of the Insert/Home/etc block. RGB lights would be nice but aren't as important as layout or switches. What's out there at this point in 75%ish Ergo Clear prebuilt boards?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If you don't mind waiting, the GMMK Pro checks all of those boxes, while letting you drop in whatever switches you want.

If you want something today, this is also relatively affordable:
https://www.idobao.net/products/idobao-id80-75-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard-kit

In terms of switches, I highly recommend U4 Boba Silent Tactiles, but they're pretty in demand and difficult to find right now. There is a "Thock" version that is very close to a Holy Panda and it's in stock here:
https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4t-thocky-tactile-switches

I also just bought some Penguin switches from Kinetic Labs, and I really like them -- moreso than my Zealios that are almost double the price. You can find them here: https://kineticlabs.store/switches/kinetic/penguins

Gearman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 16, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let's chill with the "PC master race" stuff. I agree with the thread that it's dumb, especially in 2021.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Thanks Gearman- I'd noticed the GMMK Pro and ID80, and the prices are close enough and the GMMK looks enough nicer that I can justify waiting. Those Penguin switches sound fine- I've looked at lists of tactile options and was coming up short on finding a good enough prebuilt option, so something comparable to and cheaper than Zealios seems good.

So I'd need the GMMK kit, 83ish switches, a set of keycaps, anything else?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

heffray posted:

Thanks Gearman- I'd noticed the GMMK Pro and ID80, and the prices are close enough and the GMMK looks enough nicer that I can justify waiting. Those Penguin switches sound fine- I've looked at lists of tactile options and was coming up short on finding a good enough prebuilt option, so something comparable to and cheaper than Zealios seems good.

So I'd need the GMMK kit, 83ish switches, a set of keycaps, anything else?

Yep, that's all you'd need. The folks that sell the Penguin switches say that you need to lube them, but I've got a bunch lubed already and there really isn't that much of a difference.

I should mention, since you have to wait for the GMMK Pro, I'd probably try to wait and get some Boba U4 switches instead. They are much better for pretty much no difference in cost.

Edit: There are some in-stock here https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/gazzew-u4-boba-switches/

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 16, 2021

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Gearman posted:

I should mention, since you have to wait for the GMMK Pro, I'd probably try to wait and get some Boba U4 switches instead. They are much better for pretty much no difference in cost.

Edit: There are some in-stock here https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/gazzew-u4-boba-switches/
Noted, good clarification: I was basing my opinion of Zealios on a post you made on AJ, but this seems pretty clear. Ordered the GMMK Pro and 90 of the Bobas from the place you linked, hopefully whoever orders from them next needs 80 or fewer switches (they had 17 packs in stock).

I definitely need to keep this + the Leopold FC980M with MX Clears for my work desk for several years to justify spending this much on keyboards in the space of two months.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

heffray posted:

Noted, good clarification: I was basing my opinion of Zealios on a post you made on AJ, but this seems pretty clear. Ordered the GMMK Pro and 90 of the Bobas from the place you linked, hopefully whoever orders from them next needs 80 or fewer switches (they had 17 packs in stock).

I definitely need to keep this + the Leopold FC980M with MX Clears for my work desk for several years to justify spending this much on keyboards in the space of two months.

Awesome, congrats! And yeah I still love Zealios, but they're very expensive and it's tough for me to recommend them given their cost. Bobas of all varieties pretty much get my universal recommendation these days given their quality and price.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I got my glorious pandas finally, and fit them into a full size GMMK.. they feel good but I don't like them as much as T1s

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I own 2 of these. The older one from 2010 is better quality. Because the molds Unicomp bought from IBM are getting older and need some refurnishing. My first one doesn't have a Super key though, I didn't know enough about computers at the time to realize I needed that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
God’s Own Keyboard. :c00l:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Cheese Thief posted:

I own 2 of these. The older one from 2010 is better quality. Because the molds Unicomp bought from IBM are getting older and need some refurnishing. My first one doesn't have a Super key though, I didn't know enough about computers at the time to realize I needed that.

Apparently the quality of the new Model M's are really good. I desperately want them to release a beige/pearl version.

I painstakingly recreated Model-M keyboard layouts in their layout file for custom keycaps, so that I could then tweak and add things like a hyper key and use my own design for the mac media keys. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the Spacesaver, but if they ever release a beige/pearl version of the new Model M I'll snap it up in a second, insane shipping fees to Canada be damned.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

DirtyRobot posted:

Apparently the quality of the new Model M's are really good. I desperately want them to release a beige/pearl version.

I painstakingly recreated Model-M keyboard layouts in their layout file for custom keycaps, so that I could then tweak and add things like a hyper key and use my own design for the mac media keys. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the Spacesaver, but if they ever release a beige/pearl version of the new Model M I'll snap it up in a second, insane shipping fees to Canada be damned.

That's the back. Unicomp has a newer version than this 2018 one !? I looked at it on the site and that looks exactly like mine, not sure if it would really be better.
I have a beige Model-M unicomp from 2010, but I don't know where I put it, looking for it right now.
I like the buckling springs for music programming, it feels good to control synths with it in like a Fast Tracker II type software, Renoise, whatever.
Do you know where to get some cool colorful keycaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Checking back in several weeks later. Work might fund a cheaper Kinesis after all, the idea's kind of been floated with my boss but we're both in a sort of "this is a lot of fuckin' money for something that may not actually help" scenario. For the one place that it would definitely help, a tangential/band-aid-fix question until a new keyboard actually happens:

How the hell do you keep straight wrists with a full-size keyboard while still having a reasonably accessible mouse? I can get a perfect lineup for left hand & mouse, or a mostly fine one for both hands on the keyboard, but putting the mouse in the equation means tradeoffs that just don't have solutions without new hardware. Either the mouse is way the hell off to the side (hello shoulder and elbow issues, the latter of which I really don't need to be any worse than they already are) or, as is the current situation, the right hand has to come way the hell over and bend right, causing even more ulnar nerve issues than I've already got further up the arm. Complicating things with the actual hardware replacement option is that we work on 35-year-old software that expects numpads and consequently has its (non-rebindable) inputs set up for them, so even with a split keyboard it then becomes "where do I put this fourth I/O component".

I wish there was an actual ergo thread (in any of the subforums - you'd think TGD would be a perfect place for it) to float all my questions in one block but this at least is a keyboard-related one.