Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Just remembering the time I was at Sergeants Course at 29 Palms, and coming back from drill practice (with rubber rifles) some boot MP stopped us and proceeded to draw on us because of our car full of fake guns. Very fun. The sergeant who came out cleared us said he would haze the poo poo out of that kid later, and now I’m thinking that would really solve most problems with police violence at regular departments.

We would need cops who think unchecked violence and lack of
accountability are bad things first :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 25, 2020

:madmax:

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Just remembering the time I was at Sergeants Course at 29 Palms, and coming back from drill practice (with rubber rifles) some boot MP stopped us and proceeded to draw on us because of our car full of fake guns. Very fun. The sergeant who came out cleared us said he would haze the poo poo out of that kid later, and now I’m thinking that would really solve most problems with police violence at regular departments.

I know that hazing works because I still remember the serial number of the weapon I deployed with in 2010. What's my serial number today? Don't know.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I never ever remembered my serial because I knew every crack of my handguard

... because constantly gave me fiberglass splinters and supply/armourors never ordered new ones so I just strapped tape to it all the time.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
The stupid nub on the M4 grip always rubbed my finger raw since it was too small.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
my stepmom went through culinary school and showed me how her instructors had them marking their knifes with different patterns of tape stripes and I did that to my rifle.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is it different with Marines than with Army or something? Every unit I went to I would get a different weapon. My two deployments were with different weapons. When I showed up at my unit part of in-processing was to sign for a different weapon, do a functions check, then leave it with the armored until I deployed. Next unit, same thing, different weapon. I never had just one serial number to memorize it was changing with each set of orders.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah, it’s the same. I had five different rifles and I was in for five years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i was guard so we only had enough for everyone to one lol

Dec 25, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

Is it different with Marines than with Army or something? Every unit I went to I would get a different weapon. My two deployments were with different weapons. When I showed up at my unit part of in-processing was to sign for a different weapon, do a functions check, then leave it with the armored until I deployed. Next unit, same thing, different weapon. I never had just one serial number to memorize it was changing with each set of orders.

That's how it is, yes. That's the point. If we kept the same weapon forever then there wouldn't be any significance to me remembering the serial number from the one I had ten years ago.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
When I was with the Marines yeah it was a new CIF issue for every unit but I only was with the Marines one time.

For whatever reason the ergonomics of the M4 lower rubs my finger loving raw. I don’t have this problem with my AR’s grip at all.

panzabobik
Jan 11, 2020

I've been slogging through an officer accession program for the last four years, finally made it to TBS, and I am disappointed. I knew that MCB Quantico was kind of a dump, despite being the "Crossroads of the Corps" and host to so many higher echelon units but sweet merciful christ I was not prepared for how cobbled together basic officer course is. I've only been here a handful of months and I'm shocked how few of the Camp Barrett Marines and little of the base infrastructure are utilized to actually support officers in training. Not to mention the weapons, equipment and ranges are poo poo more often than not. I don't know why I expected TBS to be better funded, better training, and more meaningful than enlisted entry-level training but it might as well just be MCT on steroids.

panzabobik fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 7, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

panzabobik posted:

I've been slogging through an officer accession program for the last four years, finally made it to TBS, and I am disappointed. I knew that MCB Quantico was kind of a dump, despite being the "Crossroads of the Corps" and host to so many higher echelon units but sweet merciful christ I was not prepared for how cobbled together basic officer course is. I've only been here a handful of months and I'm shocked how few of the Camp Barrett Marines and little of the base infrastructure are utilized to actually support officers in training. Not to mention the weapons, equipment and ranges are poo poo more often than not. I don't why I expected TBS to be better funded, better training, and more meaningful than enlisted entry-level training but it might as well just be MCT on steroids.

All of MCI West facilities maintenance budgets were slashed 90% the last 3 years to fund things like flying concrete barriers from the east coast to Los Angeles and trucking them down to the Mexico border for reinforcement (I promise that’s a real thing that we really spent money on). East coast might be in a similar situation where nothing is getting funded because the money is being used for grift elsewhere.

As far as the disillusionment goes, one of the cool things about washing out of Officer programs is that you could always just go home and do something else. Otherwise, feel free to take the mantle of this thread’s only active duty poster since I am retired now.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Quantico has some of the oldest buildings in the Corps, probably in the entire military. The MP barracks was definitely the oldest barracks and we were told to celebrate that as we were made to sand off lead paint from the doors in the unventilated basement. Going through bootcamp in San Diego I always thought that it was odd the OCS and TBS facilities always looked like such rear end comparatively.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Hekk posted:

All of MCI West facilities maintenance budgets were slashed 90% the last 3 years to fund things like flying concrete barriers from the east coast to Los Angeles and trucking them down to the Mexico border for reinforcement (I promise that’s a real thing that we really spent money on). East coast might be in a similar situation where nothing is getting funded because the money is being used for grift elsewhere.

As far as the disillusionment goes, one of the cool things about washing out of Officer programs is that you could always just go home and do something else. Otherwise, feel free to take the mantle of this thread’s only active duty poster since I am retired now.

Yeah didn’t the old Commandant get on Trump before he left blaming him for exactly that?

In any case it seems like the USMC from an outside observers position as a Corpsman started purging everyone and everything good during the “awakening” and as a result tanked hard a few years later to the point everything is rotten.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

panzabobik posted:

I've been slogging through an officer accession program for the last four years, finally made it to TBS, and I am disappointed. I knew that MCB Quantico was kind of a dump, despite being the "Crossroads of the Corps" and host to so many higher echelon units but sweet merciful christ I was not prepared for how cobbled together basic officer course is. I've only been here a handful of months and I'm shocked how few of the Camp Barrett Marines and little of the base infrastructure are utilized to actually support officers in training. Not to mention the weapons, equipment and ranges are poo poo more often than not. I don't know why I expected TBS to be better funded, better training, and more meaningful than enlisted entry-level training but it might as well just be MCT on steroids.

My weapon at OCS was complete rear end. I know that M-16's aren't super happy when they fire blanks but I couldn't get more than one round to cycle through. It did, however, make cleaning my weapon a lot easier as all I needed to do was get the muck from the Quigley off rather than a ton of carbon.

Bobo chow hall wasn't bad tho.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Nice and hot piss posted:

My weapon at OCS was complete rear end. I know that M-16's aren't super happy when they fire blanks but I couldn't get more than one round to cycle through. It did, however, make cleaning my weapon a lot easier as all I needed to do was get the muck from the Quigley off rather than a ton of carbon.

I used to sing a little diddy to myself every morning, "Goin' to Bobo!". Kept me going during that super-relaxing time.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I officially retired on Monday. Which means I somehow survived 20 years of whatever that was. Looking forward to collecting my sweet retirement check and sucking on that government teet for some disability moneys.

I am not quite sure what comes next, but I am in a spot where I can afford to be more selective on whatever it is I do until I really retire. We will be relocating from Southern California to somewhere else. It's too bad the COVID has hosed everything up and now I can't go scout out new places to live.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
glad you made it out relatively ok hekk. enjoy the bennies

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I just realized that if I had stayed in, I would've been able to retire seven months from now. Not a fan of that math.

But for real, congratulations dude. 20 years is the entirety of the gwot. What a time to be in.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hekk posted:

I officially retired on Monday. Which means I somehow survived 20 years of whatever that was. Looking forward to collecting my sweet retirement check and sucking on that government teet for some disability moneys.

I am not quite sure what comes next, but I am in a spot where I can afford to be more selective on whatever it is I do until I really retire. We will be relocating from Southern California to somewhere else. It's too bad the COVID has hosed everything up and now I can't go scout out new places to live.

Congrats!!

Let us know when you cover your F-150 in marine bumper stickers!

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Hell yeah, Hekk!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hekk posted:

Congratulations.

Go be a school teacher.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Buying pounds of weed and turning into The Dude or Bob Ross is also acceptable. I did this

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 13, 2021

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

marine armorers never change the gas rings enough

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Just lol if you weren't giving all your blanks to the moto kids and just yelling "bang bang" the whole time.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hekk yeah!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Good poo poo hekk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DaNerd posted:

Just lol if you weren't giving all your blanks to the moto kids and just yelling "bang bang" the whole time.

Just lol if you didn't put all your blanks in the nearest amnesty box

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Just lol if you didn't put all your blanks in the nearest amnesty box

Nah, they did accountability after every exercise. I would fire one round, would have a failure to feed, followed by APPLYING SPORTS WITH EXTREME MOTIVATION and after the second failure to feed I would just say "bang."

when we turned in blanks most people would have 2-3 rounds and I would have like 15 lol

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Blanks are the devil.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wtf is wrong with yall blanks are fun and you just run your rifle sloppy wet so that you just have to wipe it off afterwards

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

PookBear posted:

wtf is wrong with yall blanks are fun and you just run your rifle sloppy wet so that you just have to wipe it off afterwards

I don’t like shooting bolt actions M4s

Congrats Hekk!

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Trying to help out a coworker who’s in the Marine Reserves who’s unit seems to really suck.

She’s going on 6 month CONUS orders later this year, and is worried that her E-4 base pay will be a big pay cut, especially with a mortgage (it will be, she’s an engineer). I know with the Air Force, she’d obviously get base pay, BAS, and BAH on top of lodging and M&IE rates for the locality automatically. Is this a standard DOD thing, or is it branch specific?

She thought she heard that she wouldn’t get BAH because she’d be getting paid for lodging in her TDY spot, which sounds absurd, but her chain isn’t really answering her questions. BAH is an entitlement, right?

Just trying to make sure she’s not getting hosed over here.

I’m also trying to get her to commission into the Air Guard, because if you’re going to be doing one weekend a month in uniform, it’s way better to be an O in the Air Guard than a junior enlisted in the USMCR

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pkells posted:

Trying to help out a coworker who’s in the Marine Reserves who’s unit seems to really suck.

She’s going on 6 month CONUS orders later this year, and is worried that her E-4 base pay will be a big pay cut, especially with a mortgage (it will be, she’s an engineer). I know with the Air Force, she’d obviously get base pay, BAS, and BAH on top of lodging and M&IE rates for the locality automatically. Is this a standard DOD thing, or is it branch specific?

She thought she heard that she wouldn’t get BAH because she’d be getting paid for lodging in her TDY spot, which sounds absurd, but her chain isn’t really answering her questions. BAH is an entitlement, right?

Just trying to make sure she’s not getting hosed over here.

I’m also trying to get her to commission into the Air Guard, because if you’re going to be doing one weekend a month in uniform, it’s way better to be an O in the Air Guard than a junior enlisted in the USMCR

ex-USAF here, but should be fairly universal: They should be paying her BAH, TDY doesn't mean you don't get BAH or I would've been hosed anytime I went TDY. Something is up and she needs to escalate. She is entitled to BAH, BAS, etc especially if she is going on orders.

Her TDY billeting should always be a different thing from BAH, if its off base you pay for it with your Military Card, if its on base billeting then its covered, but it doesn't count against your BAH.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 26, 2021

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
BAH is an entitlement for anyone on active duty who isn’t permanently using military housing (Think Barracks, Base Housing, etc.). I assume she’s going onto active duty for a while. If so, she’s entitled to BAH, and should receive it.

But, there’s poo poo in the reserves/guard that are kind of like active duty but don’t count. I’m not spun up on all of them.. Reservists and Guardsmen like CommieGIR should be.

She should be getting BAH.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

But, there’s poo poo in the reserves/guard that are kind of like active duty but don’t count. I’m not spun up on all of them.. Reservists should be.

I think the rule of thumb was if the orders are less than a certain amount of time you don't get BAH, but 6 month orders should totally fall outside that window. When I was ANG I think it was you don't get BAH if you are only on orders for 2 weeks or less.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Hey, I did 9 years in the Marine Reserves.

If she's on active orders for more than 30 days then she rates BAH at the zip code of her home of record, full stop. The Marine Corps is ALSO required to provide her with room and board, so either she'll be in a barracks/squad bay situation or, if she's in a hotel, they'll be covering the cost via GTCC reimbursement. If she's never done that before she needs to link up with the S1 or someone who has done it before because if she books the wrong hotel at the wrong rate she's on the hook for the difference. She should be receiving per diem as well to cover her food costs while on orders.

All of this (BAH rate, per diem, rental car authorization, housing situation) should be explicitly spelled out in her orders and if it isn't that's a huge red flag that someone made a mistake. S1 should be able to answer all of her questions if she asks nicely. Of note, she can always deny orders as the nuclear option but she'll also spend the rest of her contract getting poo poo on by the command and kill pretty much any chance of career progression, if that's something she is concerned about. I only bring this up because it can be useful to mention if her S1 sucks and is being obstinate.

Usually going on orders is great money because of the BAH and per diem, depending on where her home of record is and where she is going. Especially if she has a job that pays all or some of her salary while she's gone.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Or, and hear me out, her unit may be as scummy as mine was and cut 29 day orders with a day or two in between for 4 months in a row!

Yes I knew this was hosed, but I was just ready to GTFO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

Or, and hear me out, her unit may be as scummy as mine was and cut 29 day orders with a day or two in between for 4 months in a row!

Yes I knew this was hosed, but I was just ready to GTFO

How the hell is that allowed? That's something I'd bring up to the Defense Services or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Never underestimate how loving hard a motherfucker will work to motherfuck you.