Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

The Saddest Rhino posted:

where's your avatar from perepelki
it's one of my paintings, a tribute to the small pointy elves that rule my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

perepelki posted:

Very cool. Do you have other paintings online and/or things for sale?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

perepelki posted:

This is lovely. I did try reverse image searching it (to see if you had a store), with no luck, but Google did at least recognise it as Fine Arts, which I agree with.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

nice, your art rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s really good honestly, you got more anywhere?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

BonoMan posted:

Very cool. Do you have other paintings online and/or things for sale?

Larryb posted:

That’s really good honestly, you got more anywhere?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

nice, your art rules

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I would totally buy that bird picture.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are those little quails?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

thank you :unsmith:

i don't sell my art anywhere, or actually ever share it with anyone, so your kind words mean a lot to me

and yes, they are quail! i am a quail enthusiast

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

perepelki posted:

i don't sell my art anywhere, or actually ever share it with anyone, so your kind words mean a lot to me

you should probably at least entertain the option of having an avenue to sell your art, especially on SA, because it would absolutely have an audience if it's in that style. it's a very distinct style, I like it a lot.

Even if it's just basic prints and such, at least having it out there as an option for people to throw money at you would be a good idea.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Ghibli Earwig movie is coming to HBO Max next month. Might as well give it a watch if already subscribed to Max.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

perepelki posted:

You have excellent taste in birds, quail are unappreciated cuties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn4VyLBKfto

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

:justpost: more of your stuff, please.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

Do you ever share art in a public community space, like an art student's league or a co-op?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ants

perepelki fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 9, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Could I commission thighs flapping like elephant wings (my personal favorite passage of the Sutra) and Ariel as a quail? I feel like that would be an amazing piece of internet history to own.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I need a screenshot of the Bakshi LotR scene where Frodo is in the middle of a conversation in Rivendell and looks straight at the camera with a complete "get a load of this guy" expression

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching 2019’s Children of the Sea, it’s ok, the plot is a bit meandering and I hate how the faces are drawn in close-up

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Follow up: well that was incomprehensible poo poo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I’m watching 2019’s Children of the Sea, it’s ok, the plot is a bit meandering and I hate how the faces are drawn in close-up

I had no idea Margaret Keane made a movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That’s very much the original manga artists style coming through. From what I can remember the manga made sense though. Sometimes the truncation that happens with these adaptions make the endings a mess, Akira is a good example.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jesus christ. I just laughed real hard at this and I feel very bad about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently both Chip & Dale and Monsters Inc. are getting their own shows (the former has nothing to do with Rescue Rangers though):

https://deadline.com/2019/06/chip-n-dale-reboot-disney-plus-monsters-at-work-details-annecy-1202630873/

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I sincerely admire The Oogie Boogie Man's total lack of character motivation or incentive or desire to do anything to Santa Claus. He threatens him mildly but he seems more interested in playing with his cowboy robots and bouncing dice off of his stomach. The commentary said they started with the music instead of a script, we need more of that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He implies he'll get around to eating him at some point but I also get the impression he just eats bugs to increase amount of bugs? Santa is not a bug.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

He implies he'll get around to eating him at some point but I also get the impression he just eats bugs to increase amount of bugs? Santa is not a bug.

But a lot of bugs would sure like to eat a fat, dead old man!

it could be the last time / he hears the boogie song

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

We don't know that for sure, Santa might have been a bug this whole time and just never thought to tell anyone.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Missing Link also, not great. Weirdly closeup heavy, it's neat you can get face models that detailed with the rapid prototype tech but there seems to be no reason not to just keep that in the computer, especially when the sets and puppet body acting get sidelined. Even the bigfoot gets sidelined for the dull society protagonist! And the story is Real boring.

If you ask me the only correct thing for Laika to make next is a biopic about will vinton.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think Laika's most visually impressive movie is Paranorman because of those weather effects. They rendered them on a computer to figure out how to make them look good, then made them in real life out of translucent cloth and wire IIRC. They could have cheated with CG but nope, they MADE THE SKY! Also that loving finale :qq:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Paranorman is the best-looking because it's not quite so smooth it looks like CGI. By the time of Boxtrolls, which I have other issues with, and definitely by Kubo, it's almost too close to CGI so you've missed the point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pick posted:

I think Paranorman is the best-looking because it's not quite so smooth it looks like CGI. By the time of Boxtrolls, which I have other issues with, and definitely by Kubo, it's almost too close to CGI so you've missed the point.

Yeah I don't like how they got too good at it. I mean kudos for the effort... It is no easy feat. But Missing Link is so CG like that the effort becomes hidden from the viewer.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I also just thought it was boring though, paranorman and coraline have more going on cinematically, better stories. Corpse Bride is also kind of amazing especially since they shot it with consumer dslrs. This one, I couldn't pinpoint a strong visual idea or art direction, which despite the weaknesses of the last couple ain't something I would say about any of those.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Missing Link is my favourite Laika film

It’s a rip-roaring adventure and a touching story about kindness towards people who are different to you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pick posted:

That brings up a question actually, is Oogie the sack itself or is he some kind of weird hive mind of bugs?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I strongly get the impression that he is the hive mind of bugs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunkyAl posted:

I also just thought it was boring though, paranorman and coraline have more going on cinematically, better stories. Corpse Bride is also kind of amazing especially since they shot it with consumer dslrs. This one, I couldn't pinpoint a strong visual idea or art direction, which despite the weaknesses of the last couple ain't something I would say about any of those.

I haven't even seen more than like 20 minutes of it ha. My daughter *loves* Coraline and Paranorman - she used to be obsessed with them when she was 4 and 5. Boxtrolls to some extent. But she bounced right off of Missing Link.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

That brings up a question actually, is Oogie the sack itself or is he some kind of weird hive mind of bugs?

The sack is ripped off of him at the end, and he keeps his form for a while, and even speaks. So the sack is just a container. But he also keeps saying "My bugs", so the bugs are things he possesses, not himself. Clearly more study is to be done on this.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't there a "chief bug" that Santa Claus squishes?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pospysyl posted:

Wasn't there a "chief bug" that Santa Claus squishes?

Yes. Oogie's probably a quasi-hivemind, controlling most of the bugs with that one bug being his actual mind/body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He also appears to be the shadow on the moon at night, so I think there's a good argument that he's a non-corporeal thing that possesses bugs