Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

Ofc not, but the anti-war position on the Iraq war was also not niche - millions of people marched and protested and generally understood at the time that although Saddam Hussein was an unpleasant dictator, the US invasion was not justified and was not going to lead to good results either for the people of Iraq or for world peace - and of course the reason he had been in power for so long was due to the US quietly arming and backing him. Contemporary support for the Iraq war is, unconditionally, something to be embarrassed by.

Right, and as pointed out, Snyder seems to have evolved on his views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Interesting Twitter thread about Geoff Johns meddling:

https://twitter.com/batkilmer/status/1349126429770993666?s=21

Apparently James Wan originally pitched Aquaman as a creature horror feature influenced by John Carpenter and James Cameron, Johns was re-writing the scripts of JL and Suicide Squad on-set and they had to shoot the changes, Snyder is removing the Johns bits from JL because he also shot the original script as well as the edits, and during a book interview the only two things Snyder wouldn’t talk about were (1) if ZSJL is closure for him and the DC universe and (2) anything about Geoff Johns.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Roth posted:

Right, and as pointed out, Snyder seems to have evolved on his views.

I agree!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

and, as he points out, the material kept him more or less anonymous in his own lifetime. The one joke I've seen get Jimmy Carr in trouble in the UK, a man who's done jokes about rape, murder, child murder and so on, was a joke about returned British servicemen. It's actually a really good joke that, if you think about it for a moment, is super positive (after doing a charity gig for amputee soldiers, he said 'say what you like about the war on terror, but we're going to dominate the next paralympics') had him discussed on morning tv as someone who should be banned from TV.

It's just interesting that we three countries all picked that as our sacred subject.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Violator posted:

Interesting Twitter thread about Geoff Johns meddling:

https://twitter.com/batkilmer/status/1349126429770993666?s=21

the replies are kinda weird, I didn't realise Johns still had so many people that liked his work. I mean as cool as Aquaman was I wish we got more horror elements because the taste we got was loving awesome and considering that was Wan's playground, why not trust the dude you hired to make a movie he'd be really good at making?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wasn't Sarah Polley's take that he was an absolute kook politically, but was fine to work with?

I like Polley but she's definitely described liberals as "left wing" before; it's somewhat understandable when yankees do that, but totally confusing for a canuck. I'd take her political comments with a pinch of salt fwiw

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
It feels like you guys are talking about Geoff Johns in the same way as that Ari guy who ruined Spiderman 3. As far as I know Geoff Johns is a creative so meddling from a creative who paid his dues seems less icky than coming from just some rich guy. I could be way off base though as the only DC movies i saw (and liked) were BvS and Man of Steel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Geoff Johns was essentially the poster boy of DC during the 00s-10s, so I'd compare it more to Shigeru Miyamoto repeatedly ruining Paper Mario with terrible ideas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea Johns actually did some excellent work initially, his Flash run is still one of my favorites and I revisit it from time to time, the Green Lantern stuff was also cool and overhauled that entire mythos (prior to that the Corps itself hadn’t been part of the story for awhile)

Either he used up all his ideas early and/or he just does better when he has more editorial oversight. Once he got final say on a lot of stuff it became...worse. And needless to say his meddling in the movies hasn’t been for the better.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Isn't there some sort of weird twist where Cyborg is his pet character but he hosed over Ray Fisher in the role for reasons?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yes, but I'm not so sure Geoff Johns actually cares about Cyborg. His use in his Justice League is purely as a plot device.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Geoff Johns' pet characters are "the guys who were on the Justice League in the late 70s and early 80s when I was a kid" which is why he brought back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen after they'd been replaced for a decade and 3 decades respectively.

I actually had (have?) a Superfriends DVD that someone got for my birthday years back where he and Mark Waid do commentary on a few episodes, so I am pretty sure his fondness for Cyborg comes from him being the one black guy on the team in that, and wanting to recreate that exact lineup (likewise Martian Manhunter never showed up on SF so got marginalized as soon as Johns became CCO)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Violator posted:

Apparently James Wan originally pitched Aquaman as a creature horror feature influenced by John Carpenter and James Cameron

Ah goddamn it!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Geoff Johns had too much control over the direction of DC Comics. I caught up with DC Comics near the tail end of the New 52 era right before Rebirth. Pretty much everything by Johns was mediocre to bad. The best stuff from New 52 was by other writers and a good chunk of it got retconned again at Rebirth. (Wonder Woman was so good.) I'll admit I really liked Forever Evil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

Yes, but I'm not so sure Geoff Johns actually cares about Cyborg. His use in his Justice League is purely as a plot device.

Yeah, I remember hearing that Cyborg basically spent like 90% of the time out of action and basically got to do absolutely nothing interesting. (Although not much of a step down, given the Teen Titans comics are generally famously awful, even after the cartoon was the first time they actually appealed to their target demographic. A shitload of fans back in the day loved the show with only vague ideas of how it was connected to the rest of DC, doesn't help Robin hadn't been much of a thing for years)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Crosswell posted:

It feels like you guys are talking about Geoff Johns in the same way as that Ari guy who ruined Spiderman 3. As far as I know Geoff Johns is a creative so meddling from a creative who paid his dues seems less icky than coming from just some rich guy. I could be way off base though as the only DC movies i saw (and liked) were BvS and Man of Steel.

Avi Arad sucks rear end

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cyborg has a lot of potential, as does any character that gets used by dozens of writers across decades, which is why it's been so disappointing seeing him so poorly used.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roth posted:

I'm not all that broken up that Snyder was not a fan of the dictator.

loving lol at this post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

Cyborg has a lot of potential, as does any character that gets used by dozens of writers across decades, which is why it's been so disappointing seeing him so poorly used.

And Snyder was probably the first one to actually try.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aces High posted:

the replies are kinda weird, I didn't realise Johns still had so many people that liked his work. I mean as cool as Aquaman was I wish we got more horror elements because the taste we got was loving awesome and considering that was Wan's playground, why not trust the dude you hired to make a movie he'd be really good at making?
I remember some goon saying that Marvel will publish anything that caters to fans, and DC will publish anything that caters to their inner circle of middle-aged writers. Both philosophies have trenchant flaws. They're not above making stupid business decisions because of Geoff Johns' nostalgia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My favorite thing about Johns is that he is a Cyborg superfan, like singlehandedly brought the character back from being basically forgotten in the 80's and 90's to an incredibly prominent role but is extremely annoyed by the fact that the actor that plays Cyborg has a mind of his own. What a loving tool.

josh04 posted:

This just in, Snyderdome splits over the issue of... *checks notes* support of the Ba'athist party?!

Saddam was a mixed bag.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saddam, boy, I don't know

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Look, both sides have valid points.

In other news, it looks like ZSJL will be getting a 4K Blu-ray release.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Yes. Because Zack photoshopped himself stepping on Saddam Hussein's throat and showed everyone saying, "isn't this cool?" or something to that effect, lmao.

I love that this annecdote turned into a bunch heming and hawing about supporting the Iraq war or whatever, and nobody's talking about how he photoshopped himself stepping on Saddam's throat. Like, who does that?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Photoshop was also still something of a novelty at the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Patrick Spens posted:

I love that this annecdote turned into a bunch heming and hawing about supporting the Iraq war or whatever, and nobody's talking about how he photoshopped himself stepping on Saddam's throat. Like, who does that?

It was 2003. This forum literally had photoshop challenges where people would poorly shop GWB's head onto a Marlboro Man ad and add a caption like "here's two things that give you cancer" in Impact Bold and it was considered the height of hilarity.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
So this is the one example of something he created that shouldn't be analysed through a psychoanalytic lens?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's so easy to scoff at 'it was a different time' but

Yeah, it was a different time. Back when Toby Keith threatening foot anal brought cheers across radio stations everywhere

The tone didn't start shifting for the majority of people until 2004/2005.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burkion posted:

Back when Toby Keith threatening foot anal brought cheers across radio stations everywhere

I'm sure that's a typo but :stare:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^ it's not

EmptyVessel posted:

So this is the one example of something he created that shouldn't be analysed through a psychoanalytic lens?

Well, hence the two-page discussion about 9/11 brain and the Iraq war.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Violator posted:

Apparently James Wan originally pitched Aquaman as a creature horror feature influenced by John Carpenter and James Cameron

I'm not sure how I feel about this, as another 'dark' DC movie might've gone splat against the wall of smug expectations, whereas the goofier, messier version we got seemed to calm DC discourse because "okay, at least this one was fun" (then Shazam, then Birds of Prey to an R-rated extent).

"Why is James Wan trying to make this all SERIOUS and SPOOKY?"
versus
"Okay, the characters made fun of themselves for the first hour and a half, they may now get one hero moment apiece during the climax to reassure us that they *are* worth taking seriously."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Patrick Spens posted:

I was in my sophomore year of high school around the time of the second Iraq War. I literally made a website that played a flash-based photo slideshow of US Military operations in Iraq, specifically the battles of Fallujah, with music and poo poo. I did that in my spare time. Imagine that. Lmao.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

EmptyVessel posted:

No it should, and the lense is "he had 9/11 brain and was a total dumbass"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure that's a typo but :stare:

And you'll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A
'Cause we'll put a boot in your rear end
It's the American way

It's like ya'll don't remember the age of Freedom Fries.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Who here remembers 9/11 era Newground's videos?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Forget newgrounds, how about StickDeath.com?

Imagine what that dude is like now.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No it should, and the lense is "he had 9/11 brain and was a total dumbass"

So basically, "We all went mad and shouldn't be held responsible, it was just the times"? Fairish point but, a very US-centric view, and also an excuse that would have come in handy in immediately post-WW2 Germany.

Note: I am not suggesting that Snyder is even remotely a Nazi or Nazi-adjacent (opinions about the US Overton Window aside), but it's an obvious parallel.

Wonder what he thinks about that image now; "lmao" - bad look, "jeez I really was a bit of a twat*" - good look.

* would have put the c-word but refrained out of respect for your cultural sensitivites.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
:chloe:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EmptyVessel posted:

So basically, "We all went mad and shouldn't be held responsible, it was just the times"? Fairish point but, a very US-centric view, and also an excuse that would have come in handy in immediately post-WW2 Germany.

Note: I am not suggesting that Snyder is even remotely a Nazi or Nazi-adjacent (opinions about the US Overton Window aside), but it's an obvious parallel.

Wonder what he thinks about that image now; "lmao" - bad look, "jeez I really was a bit of a twat*" - good look.

* would have put the c-word but refrained out of respect for your cultural sensitivites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Everyone said he sucks but deems it likely that he has grown, given that he went on to make multiple movies where people with that viewpoint are the bad guys