Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Its an injected blood oxygenator in the same vein as tri-ox from Star trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1349436110766657537

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Lamebot posted:

Its an injected blood oxygenator in the same vein as tri-ox from Star trek.

Future version of this: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247295

(More sciency background if interested: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5098671/)

EDIT: To incentivize interest, there's been version of this since 2012 - gaseous oxygen suspended in either lipid microparticles or gas permeable polymer micro shells at a much higher density than RBCs can handle. After all, even fully oxygenated packed RBCs wouldn't give you much extra time in the volume available in that kind of injection. Some hypothetical engineered RBC with extra hemoglobin or other modified oxygen-carrying protein would work too. Though none of this is going to work in an intramuscular injection into your quad, so it's kind of space magic as presented. I'm glad this show largely avoids technobabbling cause I end up not getting bothered by this kind of stuff.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommanderApaul posted:

Yeah, it's what Holden injected Monica with when they found her unconscious in the shipping container.

Specifically, it's hyperoxygenated blood.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

now i want to hear lang belta versions of some Killing Joke songs.

EmptyVessel posted:

Now I want a Lang Belta version of this for Marco's faction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ujsROMsAU

:hf:

This would work with lyrics mostly unchanged too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UaHeuA-ptE

First verse:
Our destination is nowhere
Our feelings are destroyed
We've got nothing at all
This is life in the fall
We keep searching for the positive
We're using everything
We got nothing at all
This is life in the fall

Are you receiving... Are you receiving... Are you receiving?

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It seems to me that Marco doesn't want to destroy the Inners so much as replace them: while he talks a lot about Belter unity, culturally he doesn't seem very Belter at all. His accent skews more towards Earth and you almost never hear him speak Lang Belta, he has few (if any) tattoos, and he has a love of fancy ships and weapons (remember Naomi and most Belters have an aversion to well-made inner parts)...

His accent seems deliberate to me. He probably think it makes him sound even more commanding. A large part of Marco is that he wants to be the belters Che so bad..... immortalized for eternity as a symbol for freedom, justice and fighting against tyranny. Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Like you guys I'm wondering what actually happened to the protomolecule. No way it was popped that easy.

uber_stoat posted:

now i want to hear lang belta versions of some Killing Joke songs.
I'd kill for them to do a Love Like Blood. Young Jazz could be Marco's cousin. Thanks goons for introducing this band to me. Not normally my cuppa but really like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How does Alex and Bobby's ship still have an engine? Didn't they eject the core or whatever to escape that torpedo a few episodes ago?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

uXs posted:

How does Alex and Bobby's ship still have an engine? Didn't they eject the core or whatever to escape that torpedo a few episodes ago?

I think they essentially dumped all the currently combusting fuel from the reactor

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

uXs posted:

"Dumping core" means ejecting the ball of currently lit nuclear fuel out the back, not the entirety of the reactor machinery just the burning fuel in the chamber. You can start it up again later with fresh fuel, that just takes a second and is obvious to anybody watching, so they couldn't do it while they were playing dead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

uXs posted:

People are really being thrown by this. They dumped the ball of plasma in the reactor out the back. They did not dump the engine out, they just had to restart it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I think it's because it's a bigger deal in Star Trek when they dump the warp core.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
What was the timeline of the Zmeya exactly? Whose ship was it first and did we ever see any scenes on it? I'd google it but I'm too afraid of stumbling into book spoilers. :ohdear:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ah ok.

niethan posted:

I think it's because it's a bigger deal in Star Trek when they dump the warp core.

Yeah that's exactly it, I was thinking of warp cores.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

timp posted:

What was the timeline of the Zmeya exactly? Whose ship was it first and did we ever see any scenes on it? I'd google it but I'm too afraid of stumbling into book spoilers. :ohdear:

As far as I know the first appearance of the Zmeya was when it appeared and attacked Tycho a few episodes ago. No big backstory

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Dumping core = rolling coal in space

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

timp posted:

The Zmeya wasn't in the books so google away. The protomolecule theft was carried out a little differently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

niethan posted:

Yup I think everyone was thrown by this haha

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

The Zmeya wasn't in the books so google away. The protomolecule theft was carried out a little differently.

Cool, thanks! I was having trouble recalling the short term history. The Zmeya is the one that launched a missile at the zero G shipping container, deployed the salvage bot, and escaped with the protomolecule.

The Zmeya also effectively led the Roci to Marcos, AND we know the Razorback is relatively close to the Roci as well. poo poo is really heating up!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh hey finally an official reason why the crash couches are different on TV.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh hey finally an official reason why the crash couches are different on TV.

Yeah, that happens a lot. pretty much the same reason the old Dresden files series used a Jeep instead of a beetle, didn't work on screen since it was to small to film in effectively

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I loved when the Ship just opens up its forward cargo bay and its just full of racks of missiles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

swickles posted:

There is also the fact that the solar system and even the galaxy is almost 2 dimensional in that planets are mostly in the same plane or of orbit, so once those rounds get enough height or depth, they will be out of the way of like 99% of things in our system.

Yeah, I remember in the books one of the rare occasions they visit some rocks off the plane everyone gets the creeps about being out there

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

People are really being thrown by this. They dumped the ball of plasma in the reactor out the back. They did not dump the engine out, they just had to restart it.

Star Trek has ruined this concept forever.

I kind of want Naomi to cross over into the Star Trek universe to give them poo poo about it.

"Tell you what. You show me how to make food and water out of nothing with those replicator things and I'll show you how to purge your core without dumping your entire loving engine out of the rear end of your ship. Deal?"

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that happens a lot. pretty much the same reason the old Dresden files series used a Jeep instead of a beetle, didn't work on screen since it was to small to film in effectively

Also Paul Blackthorne the actor who played Dresden in the show is 6'4" and didn't want to have break his skeleton folding and unfolding himself trying to get into and out of the thing.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Great episode with great acting. That said, does anyone else get bothered any time they hear SFX in the void of space? For a show that attempts such realism, this one thing just irks me despite knowing it makes the scenes more 'exciting'.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Anyone else notice all the Dutch angles in the scenes with Naomi on Marco's ship?

Yep, I noticed and thought it was cool and appropriate directing. Helped add the off-kilter emotional effect going on.

Baronjutter posted:

Holden: Try spinning, that's a good trick.

Yeah... I also wasn't a fan. Felt a little too space invader-esque. But whatever, it'll do.

Taintrunner posted:

must suck to be the Alexander the Great Wannabe

Nice. I feel like for Marco, a Sparticus obsession would be better. Alexander was not a self-made man; he inherited his army from dad Philip. Say what you want about Marco, he seems to be a self-made guy. Sparticus or some other peasant, slave, or commoner revolutionary figure would have been better.

But naming stuff after classical conquerors is pretty badass.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TommyGun85 posted:

Great episode with great acting. That said, does anyone else get bothered any time they hear SFX in the void of space? For a show that attempts such realism, this one thing just irks me despite knowing it makes the scenes more 'exciting'.

No, I want to hear rockets go BRRRRRR and explosions go BOOOM and PDCs go PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TommyGun85 posted:

I want to say they said they tried it without sound, but the space shots ended up feeling "fake" or unconvincing?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TommyGun85 posted:

It’s not actually making any sounds, that’s just your brain filling it in :v:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Pretend the sound is just what they can hear inside the ship in the case of PDCs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Josh Lyman posted:

Toward the end of the episode when Marco yelled at Filip and said “You’re nothing with me!” and then realized he went to far and walked it back, the walking back wasn’t convincing enough for me. :colbert:

It seemed very conspicuous that this followed the Naomi/Filip scene where she tells him "I knew I was nothing without you". Loved that reversal

Also lol remembering that a couple episodes ago we were all super lukewarm on Marco's acting :v:

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

sure okay posted:

So is the Protomolecule like, gone? No more anywhere? (That we know of in the show)

Someone in the spoiler thread claims that if you rewatch all the torpedos being launced one of them (the first) has a blue rather than yellow exhaust, indicating a long range Epstein drive, and it scoots off for space rather than going after the Roci like the rest. So that's probably where the protomolecule went.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Pretty sure all of Roci's torpedoes have blue exhaust.
I don't think blue exhaust necessarily means epstien drive.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I loved the fact that Zmeya fired not all of their torpedoes out because they have spent these on Tycho.
The show that keeps on giving.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Drone Jett posted:

Someone in the spoiler thread claims that if you rewatch all the torpedos being launced one of them (the first) has a blue rather than yellow exhaust, indicating a long range Epstein drive, and it scoots off for space rather than going after the Roci like the rest. So that's probably where the protomolecule went.

It's the last one in the sequence- look near the center of the spiral.

e: and yeah, the Roci's have blue exhaust but the difference in that array is conspicuous

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 14, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Groetgaffel posted:

The books say torpedos are just bombs attached to souped up Epstein drives.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Groetgaffel posted:

We see blue exhaust on the UN and Martian proper military grade torpedoes, but the ones the Zmeya dumped had yellow exhaust. I'm guessing that was because they were lovely Belter homemade torpedoes that had some kind of different (probably inferior) drive system from the military grade ones the real navies have. Whether the military torpedoes use mini-Epstein drives or something else, they're visibly different and presumably better than the Belter knockoffs.

Except for that one single dot of military-blue exhaust in the spiral of yellow exhaust.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What's even worse about the idea that they managed to keep the protomolecule in transit is that Marco was intentionally lying to Filip about the Zmeya just to make his son feel bad

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TommyGun85 posted:

I assume the sounds we hear are from the perspective of whoever is the protagonist at the time. Like when Naomi is floating to the other airlock, we don't hear anything until she hits the airlock, and what he wear is muffled as if she's hearing it through the sound conducting through her bones.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Considering how much of the show happens in the vacuum of space (not just exterior ship shots, but spacewalks, or venting the ship for a battle), committing to soundless sequences would honestly make the show pretty boring, even if a lot of us would be giddy over the realistic depiction. Firefly could pull it off because there weren't that many scenes that took place in vacuum, and most of those were just short exterior shots of the ship.

They keep a nice balance by letting the silence of a vacuum hit where it makes a scene more dramatic or interesting. See: Naomi's suitless space walk jump, Bobbie and her marines getting signal jammed and needing to knock helmets together to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a feeling when they launched that huge barrage of torpedoes that one was a cargo torpedo sneaking off in the chaos.