Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

I was watching but away from my computer keyboard so I apologize for just creeping from a distance! Thanks BFM for the good picks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

Bright Bart posted:

I need a link to your thesis project video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FXh_bdw0cI

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you for linking my wideo, friend.

Edit- and yes, his instrument is indeed the Magic Pipe! This song is off the album Packs a Wallop, which I highly recommend.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 10, 2021

biosterous

it's such a good video! i rewatched it again with a bigger screen (and not being distracted by chat) and was able to pick out more cool lil details that i missed the first time

gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you so much! I was spoiled for crew and space so we got to really dig in, 32 shoot dates and countless builds and rehearsals over 3 years of weekends and evenings with a stellar bunch of people. I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to do anything like it again, but I'm glad I got to do it once at least!

Edit- I didn't show the posters for the shorts last time but I should have, this is awesome:

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 11, 2021

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Did you get to keep any of the puppets and if so could you make them post?

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Buy the puppets accounts

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sorry, all puppets have long disappeared into that twilight realm where old movie props are still whole and never cannibalized. Animatronics stuff ain't cheap you know!

I might have one of the background guys around here somewhere, I'll look.

Anyway, tonight, at midnight GMT (that's 7pm eastern, 4 pacific), join us for another Coupons&Deals movie night in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

This week's plate of cheese is the 1990 Japanese-British-Hungarian-American production, The Princess and the Goblin.

Bob Halliwell called it an "Uninteresting animated feature, with a dull fairy-tale plot dully executed." Honestly it looks dreadful, but I'm a sucker for goblins! See you there fellow hordlings!

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's me I'm the Goblin

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also the princess

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Basically what I'm saying is this movie is about me as I am also dull and uninteresting

BoldFrankensteinMir

Kief Richards posted:

Basically what I'm saying is this movie is about me as I am also dull and uninteresting

That's impossible, if this movie was about Goblin Princess Kief Richards there's no way it wouldn't already be a BYOB classic.

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

gallery of sigs

he/him

alexandriao

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Anyway, tonight, at midnight GMT (that's 7pm eastern, 4 pacific), join us for another Coupons&Deals movie night in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

i keep missing these ahhhhhhh

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Heather Papps

hello friend

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks for another fun movie night friends! Here is your homework- study this cruddy old Coronet film about being less filthy (and Danish supremacist overtones), we're gonna focus our combined powers of merciless mirth and do a right-proper scripted riff of it together! And wash your freaking hands!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUcqcjLn-0

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress GEORGE

Manifisto

wow, the translation of this as "wake" really opens up some interpretations

also thanks as always bfm, it was a good nite

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm glad people are having fun! Alternating riff nights and legit good movie nights seem to be a success so far.

Sig by Heather Papps

Goons Are Gifts

Finally I made it through without falling asleep and it was well worth it!!
drat these goblins are almost as mean and bad as loving George

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I bet George isn't even a little boy he's just a small gobbo with bad habits!!!!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgYywrYK7c
Apparently the vhs release of the princess and the goblin included this video instructing lost children to call a hotline where they could talk to Ireny, Kurty, and Ireny.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgYywrYK7c
Apparently the vhs release of the princess and the goblin included this video instructing lost children to call a hotline where they could talk to Ireny, Kurty, and Ireny.

Whoa. I get the feeling the makers of this film really REALLY wanted it to be a success with kids, and they put every possible effort into that goal, except, you know, making a better film.

Sig by Heather Papps

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

well put mr. youtube commenter

Whoa. I get the feeling the makers of this film really REALLY wanted it to be a success with kids, and they put every possible effort into that goal, except, you know, making a better film.

:agreed:

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

How Wonderful!

I'm sad I missed this because I actually really liked this movie as a kid, to the extent that I think my parents got me a nice edition of the 1872 novel for Christmas one year (I might be getting mixed up on this part). I think it probably contributed a lot to my decision to become both a princess and a goblin.

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm sad I missed this because I actually really liked this movie as a kid, to the extent that I think my parents got me a nice edition of the 1872 novel for Christmas one year (I might be getting mixed up on this part). I think it probably contributed a lot to my decision to become both a princess and a goblin.

is the single toe of the goblin foot from the book. i can't stop thinking about how gross they were.

How Wonderful!

Heather Papps posted:

is the single toe of the goblin foot from the book. i can't stop thinking about how gross they were.

Yeah they talk about the goblin toes and the goblin feet a ton, I thought it was the funniest thing.

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah they talk about the goblin toes and the goblin feet a ton, I thought it was the funniest thing.

the copy we watched was likely a vhs rip on youtube, and at first i thought it was just a trick of the low resolution but i couldn't look away.
the queen had 5 toes - was she a sun person?

How Wonderful!

Heather Papps posted:

the copy we watched was likely a vhs rip on youtube, and at first i thought it was just a trick of the low resolution but i couldn't look away.

Maybe I'll read it again because I definitely remember this being part of the plot.

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

she had six toes, and was thus monstrous to sun people and gobbos alike! no wonder she wore the stone shoes all the time!

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

BORN TO THREAD
GEORGE IS A gently caress
Wash Em All 1947
I am trash goblin
410,757,864,530 DEAD GRANDMAS

gallery of sigs

he/him

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

biosterous posted:

BORN TO THREAD
GEORGE IS A gently caress
Wash Em All 1947
I am trash goblin
410,757,864,530 DEAD GRANDMAS

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey friends, I could use some suggestions. Tomorrow (the 16th) is another good animated feature night, and I'm having a hard time, specifically with finding films to show by diverse directors. The field of movie directors in general is painfully white and male, but animated movies are even worse since they're more expensive, take longer, tend not to do well with awards and are a bigger box office risk (and yes I know these are intensely stupid reasons to have a near-monoculture for this medium, but we all know that's no barrier to it being the gross truth: producers just trust white men the most with their money :( ). So, I'm looking for a movie that is:

1-Feature length (1-3 hours)
2-Viewable on youtube in 1 part
3-Animated
4-Actually good
5-Directed by anybody other than a Caucasian dude

At present the only options I've found that check all those boxes are all Indian films, which is fine, but since we already did Sita Sings the Blues it'd be nice to not just keep hammering Hindu cosmology, which is what a LOT of the Indian animated films I'm seeing are. Thoughts?

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm guessing you're not looking for anime? There's some OVAs I've heard good things about on youtube.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

I'm guessing you're not looking for anime? There's some OVAs I've heard good things about on youtube.

I don't mind anime. We were really close to watching an effin' terrible anime version of The Jungle Book on Wednesday.

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

I don't mind anime. We were really close to watching an effin' terrible anime version of The Jungle Book on Wednesday.

Check your pms :)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would rather not watch anime, ngl. It... Does not speak to me, largely, outside of a very few select productions (yes I'm talking about poo poo like Grave of the Fireflies and anything to do with Miyazaki and his studios. There's a reason they're celebrated stories.)

I want something with meat and potatoes, you know? Not just, ooh mecha titty anime catgirl. And not loving Fruits Basket, gently caress sake.

Leraika

I'd also love to see some non-anime recs, really. I found a French/West African movie that looked promising, but couldn't find the whole thing on youtube, just a few ten minute chunks.

Manifisto

Hey friends, I could use some suggestions. Tomorrow (the 16th) is another good animated feature night, and I'm having a hard time, specifically with finding films to show by diverse directors. The field of movie directors in general is painfully white and male, but animated movies are even worse since they're more expensive, take longer, tend not to do well with awards and are a bigger box office risk (and yes I know these are intensely stupid reasons to have a near-monoculture for this medium, but we all know that's no barrier to it being the gross truth: producers just trust white men the most with their money :( ). So, I'm looking for a movie that is:

1-Feature length (1-3 hours)
2-Viewable on youtube in 1 part
3-Animated
4-Actually good
5-Directed by anybody other than a Caucasian dude

At present the only options I've found that check all those boxes are all Indian films, which is fine, but since we already did Sita Sings the Blues it'd be nice to not just keep hammering Hindu cosmology, which is what a LOT of the Indian animated films I'm seeing are. Thoughts?

Irene Starevich co-directed this, which I have not watched through but has some neat stop motion puppetry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9y1a2gl2OM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Fox

e: you can turn on auto-translated subtitles, which aren't great but better than nothin'

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

Irene Starevich co-directed this, which I have not watched through but has some neat stop motion puppetry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9y1a2gl2OM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Fox

e: you can turn on auto-translated subtitles, which aren't great but better than nothin'

Whoa, you guys are rocking it with reccs, this is freaking amazing. I am a gigantic Beastlore nerd so I'm all about Reynard (they made his name the word for "fox" in French he was so popular WTF). If this isn't this week's it's gonna be one coming up.

I understand the concerns re: anime, however I think one of Leraika's suggestions deserves at least to be considered: There are two early 80's anime films about a unicorn named Unico on youtube and they look pretty darn BYOB to me. I was even thinking a double-feature, but what do y'all think?

And of course if we're watching anime I'm gonna make y'all watch a classic Astroboy if I can at all swing it because The Mighty Atom is a guilty pleasure. Or maybe a Gigantor... but we'll see what people think about unicorns and roboboys night

Sig by Heather Papps