Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I remember reading this thread at work back in 2019 and being depressed
Now I came back to it and
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Admiral Ray posted:

gently caress i hope not. i want to see as much of this as i can.

I'd go for a front row seat, but that's in the splash zone

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Halser posted:

lmao

was the change inside you, or inside the thread is the question you will keep wondering until you drown

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

sittin in an online conference

learnin how california is planning to hit their 2050 transportation emission targets by assuming all freight trucks will run on fuel cells

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Spime Wrangler posted:

sittin in an online conference

learnin how california is planning to hit their 2050 transportation emission targets by assuming all freight trucks will run on fuel cells

politicians are always going to push climate change deadlines as far as they could (2050 are you kidding me) and they are always going to rely on fantasy technology

we've been setting emissions targets for what, 25 years now? and we've not even come close to meeting any of them.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I was reading about how the big exciting lithium play in Nevada finally has the technology to extract it from the unique configuration it's in (dry clay) and at peak will be able to provide "enough lithium for 400,000 new EVs per year"

400,000/273,600,000 ICE vehicles registered in the US alone comes out to...a mere 684 years! Wahoo!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Car Hater posted:

I was reading about how the big exciting lithium play in Nevada finally has the technology to extract it from the unique configuration it's in (dry clay) and at peak will be able to provide "enough lithium for 400,000 new EVs per year"

400,000/273,600,000 ICE vehicles registered in the US alone comes out to...a mere 684 years! Wahoo!

so i guess we just car pool a little more, simple!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

man I remember when sea level rise was the main thing I understood about Climate Change Bad before I bothered actually looking into what it entailed

such innocent times

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cold on a Cob posted:

30 years is lots of time. What, you don't think the residents of Bangkok won't just sell their homes and move? :rolleye:

The Thai government should start buying people out now. Spread the cost out.

Hell, the US government should start buying people out now. It's already happening here and there.

My Floridian bureaucrat buddy, when a flood zone-home loses eligibility for flood insurance, you can't live it anymore. The county can buy it for 'fair market value.' Buyer of last resort.

But the thing is that it's the county doing this. On their own. And they're just doing it based on their interpretation of current policy. There's no federal assistance for this. They cannot afford a bunch of homes popping at once.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Instead we’re going to build seawalls for the rich and blame the poor for not living where the rich do

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
more accurately we're just going to post online about how it's bullshit that the 4000 series of video cards is permanently delayed due to one of the factories sliding off a cliff into the ocean after record shattering monsoons

much like how we posted about hard drive costs being too drat high in the early 10s

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Don Pigeon posted:

politicians are always going to push climate change deadlines as far as they could (2050 are you kidding me) and they are always going to rely on fantasy technology

we've been setting emissions targets for what, 25 years now? and we've not even come close to meeting any of them.

california is in many ways the furthest ahead on climate policy and in some areas their legislative implementation has been so unbelievably bad that it's a nationwide cautionary mantra

in one case the state basically wrote itself out of being legally allowed to buy construction materials from any suppliers. nobody did any meaningful evaluations of industry capabilities until after they passed the bill and they had to go back and blow huge holes in the policies because it simply wasn't physically possible to implement.

on the other hand it was a huge kick in everyone's rear end to figure their poo poo out and i commend the great state of california for loving up so bad it scared everyone straight

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

california is in many ways the furthest ahead on climate policy and in some areas their legislative implementation has been so unbelievably bad that it's a nationwide cautionary mantra

in one case the state basically wrote itself out of being legally allowed to buy construction materials from any suppliers. nobody did any meaningful evaluations of industry capabilities until after they passed the bill and they had to go back and blow huge holes in the policies because it simply wasn't physically possible to implement.

on the other hand it was a huge kick in everyone's rear end to figure their poo poo out and i commend the great state of california for loving up so bad it scared everyone straight

yeah as good as an attempt as it is, it has some very special loopholes to it. Like there’s a serious chance that it will make some coal mines so much more profitable that the mines will stay open instead of closing because they’re paying them so much to flare methane that wouldn’t be released if they shut down, ooops.

Also there’s an attempt to claim that you can burn coal for power but in your spreadsheet allocate that power to transmission line losses so according to your spreadsheet no coal electricity is being used.

And that’s not even getting into how they promised now new oil and gas specific regulations in order to get it passed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Don Pigeon posted:

we can totally still hit 1.5c by 2050 if we do the thing please ignore that over 2c is already locked in

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Top scientists warn of 'ghastly future of mass extinction' and climate disruption

quote:

The planet is facing a “ghastly future of mass extinction, declining health and climate-disruption upheavals” that threaten human survival because of ignorance and inaction, according to an international group of scientists, who warn people still haven’t grasped the urgency of the biodiversity and climate crises...

The report comes months after the world failed to meet a single UN Aichi biodiversity target, created to stem the destruction of the natural world, the second consecutive time governments have failed to meet their 10-year biodiversity goals. This week a coalition of more than 50 countries pledged to protect almost a third of the planet by 2030.

surely this will be the warning to move the inbred and senile ruling class to action

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Halser posted:

lmao

my periods of disassociation are apparently getting pretty severe, i don't remember registering & posting under this alt account

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda
The world will be our garden. Just as the Scottish highlands are a human made desert, so will the world be a desert. All life will be engineered by us as we desperately try to keep ourselves alive on the hell world of our creation. Wish I could see how it plays out over the next thousand years, but alas, I’ll die soon after Florida is sunk. At least I should live long enough to see Florida sink.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry, just had to let that one out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chris James 2 posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry, just had to let that one out

A scream? A fart? A jizz?

All applicable here in the climate change thread

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Lmao. In the Seattle area A massive windstorm out of fuckin nowhere rolled in and took out power to 500,000 last night. Transformers blowin up left and right.

Been here quite a while and haven't seen anything like this. It's small fries in the scheme of millions losing water but it seems like a good example of nature going harder.

Same on Vancouver Island this morning. Oddly enough we didn't lose power ourselves. Some of our neighbours are completely dependent on hydro and fire up their portable gensets within 10 minutes of losing power so they can operate their gas furnaces and stay warm. "Let Me Play You the Song of My People" combined with "You Are Not Prepared!".

Fifteen years ago I did a bit of research on west coast Vancouver Island wind speeds to see if it was just my imagination that it was getting harder to work out there in the spring. Average wind speeds had stayed the same but extreme events were becoming more common, so no, the change was real and we were actually getting the poo poo kicked out of us more severely. But the calm days were calmer, so there's that.

Kind of wondering how the windfarm on the north end of the island is doing. It was installed 6 years ago in an area noted for hurricane-force winds in the winter. It's so far off the beaten track that very few people are going to know about one of their towers coming apart.

BC Ferries has been cancelling more sailings due to wind over the last few years. Not sure how much of that is due to more extreme wind events and how much is BC Ferries brass getting tired of seeing a boatload of freshly debarked passengers being interviewed on national TV and pissing and moaning about their brush with death. They actually ran out of barf bags on one of those trips. Again, we are not prepared.

Meanwhile, back in the forest anything still alive after the last five years of summer drought is being pushed over by wind and saturated soil around the root plates.

At least I have a working chainsaw again. gently caress. :sigh:

Wakko posted:

Top scientists warn of 'ghastly future of mass extinction' and climate disruption

surely this will be the warning to move the inbred and senile ruling class to action

I'm goint to go with "No" on this one. Listening to an interview this morning with a Conservative party ("movement") apparatchik bloviating about how he's going to start calling out and severing with the Trumpists in his circle because populism is bad, man. The guy has held senior positions for some of the most extreme neoliberal leaders in Canada. He was there when ex-PM Harper was muzzling government scientists and sending political "minders" to conferences with senior scientists who mentioned the C words in publications. He was part of continuing the petroleum industry's myth and misinformation campaign from the 90s, teaching people to mistrust science.

Complete lack of self-awareness. THIS IS THE WORLD YOU BUILT YOU SHITSTAIN! Those red hats swarming the capitol with zap straps and pipe bombs? They're yours. Those guys in MAGA hats protesting in downtown Parksville (where?) in favour of dilBit pipeline expansion in BC? Those are yours. :thermidor:

Am I screaming at the void or a Wendy's? Hard to keep track these days.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Wakko posted:

The economists can tell you with Nobel prize winning math that world gdp growth will barely falter since 85%+ of global industry and commercial activity are unaffected by climate and the remainder are more productive at temperatures both higher and lower than present day. Indeed, plus or minus six centigrade is optimal for growth given inevitable change. Full speed ahead, for even 4C change is grossly insufficient if more is within our grasp.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Carbon dioxide is what plants breathe. We're going to get massive lush green forests and liberals say this is bad?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Carbon Dioxide: It's What Plants Crave

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

In terms of going harder... something I realized was that about half a decade ago it was pretty "en vogue" to note that that climate change would impact SE Asia the soonest and most severely. And now I don't see any mention of SE Asia at all but everyone should uh check in on that whole um situation because jesus christ.

Dug up some headlines from this week.

150K evacuees minimum across two countries. If you follow climate news from SE Asia you'd, uh, recognize that this is not exactly out of the ordinary flooding anymore.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just make the city float

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
One story that made the rounds a while ago is that Indonesia is relocating its capital city because it's sinking underwater.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*schadenfreude thread-ishly*

why don't they just raise the city or lower the water table

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

are indonesia the guys who buy up world reserves of sand to increase their landmass or were they the ones selling it/getting it stolen?

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Jan 13, 2021

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ok it was singapore who were doing that, and they're stealing indonesian sand to do it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Like a few other places Indonesia has sand mining and sand mafias/gangs plundering sand and causing all sorts of problems. That's concrete for ya

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hairy Marionette posted:

The world will be our garden. Just as the Scottish highlands are a human made desert, so will the world be a desert. All life will be engineered by us as we desperately try to keep ourselves alive on the hell world of our creation. Wish I could see how it plays out over the next thousand years, but alas, I’ll die soon after Florida is sunk. At least I should live long enough to see Florida sink.

Speaking of this, I only recently learned that most of the UK actually used to be dense forest lol. Saw the talk from the dude who's been trying to restore the calcedonian forests.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

silicone thrills posted:

Speaking of this, I only recently learned that most of the UK actually used to be dense forest lol. Saw the talk from the dude who's been trying to restore the calcedonian forests.

Yeah, the UK is a good example of a post natural world.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

silicone thrills posted:

I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Hairy Marionette posted:

and soon, the planet

and soon after that, the planet will be a good example of a post-human world

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

love to work all day on useless poo poo for money while a catastrophe that began before I was born continues to unfold and destroy everything

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Minrad posted:

more accurately we're just going to post online about how it's bullshit that the 4000 series of video cards is permanently delayed due to one of the factories sliding off a cliff into the ocean after record shattering monsoons

much like how we posted about hard drive costs being too drat high in the early 10s

the world will end before a PC is created that can play crysis on max settings

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hairy Marionette posted:

always really liked the visual aids for this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_the_United_States

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

All you goons complain about arctic methane destroying the climate?

Well I have a company for you: https://www.frostmethane.com/

quote:

Frost Methane exists to identify, flare, and monitor concentrated methane seeps in Arctic permafrost and around the world. This approach has the potential to offset 1% of global human emissions, adding to the scientific dataset of methane release in the process. We earn revenue through carbon offset markets, which we re-invest into future deployments, building a global network of self-sustaining devices to combat climate change.

That’s right, flaring arctic methane so you can sell the marginal climate benefit to someone else so they can pollute more.

Who says technology and markets can’t solve things?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

that doesnt even make sense the problem is its little bubbles being released across areas the size of like fuckin siberian coast line... how did that idea even last 15 seconds

edit: nevermind, its white people "from" oakland

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

that doesnt even make sense the problem is its little bubbles being released across areas the size of like fuckin siberian coast line... how did that idea even last 15 seconds

I’m sure there will be enough methane released they can find some close enough together!

they have apparently tested it in Alaska but it failed because the tarp listed. Oh yeah, it’s made out of a tarp.

And remember even if it does work, the purpose is to generate credits to allow someone else to emit more. Even if all the tech is perfect it can’t actually make things better (since this all has a cost to itself).

But the best part is that we’re at the stage where we startups assuming runaway warming as part of their pitch