Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Had a Leaf by Oscar corojo tonight, a lancero. It's probably my favorite cigar. loving beautiful.

Ooh hell yeah, a fiver is now on my list.

Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture is also now a permanent companion. I'm really psyched to have a natural tobacco I love that I can also buy in bulk.

That Plum Pudding Barrel Aged has a smell that I couldn't pin for hours, and it's baijiu - the national liquor of China. That stuff is rosewater flavored jet fuel and I love it.

When smoking the PPBA is super mellow. I'll need to dig deeper to look for the bourbon barrel notes, but it was quite yummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NewFatMike posted:

Ooh hell yeah, a fiver is now on my list.

My last round of buys at Cigar Auctioneer I picked up two 20-packs for my buddies and I and we're all very glad to have a huge supply. It's beautifully leathery and woody, with all sorts of subtle spice notes that pop up over the course of the smoke. Also the burn and draw tend to be excellent, which makes it extremely pleasant to smoke.

The only Leaf by Oscar I haven't tried yet is the Sumatra. I'll prolly pick up a pack of try with my buddies, but I would be very surprised if it surpasses the corojo.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Man the Cigar Oasis does WORK.

Normally after pumping 3 boxes into my humidor, it would be sitting in the 40s and 50s humidity wise for a week or two.

With the Oasis, it hasn't dipped below 62% and I thought I'd give one of the Fonsecas I got yesterday a shot. It's super yummy. It's not all the way right yet, but it's smokeable and yummy, so might as well finish it.

These things are gorgeous, too. $102/20 at Atlantic is one of my best purchases.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
How long do you guys usually let cigars rest after they arrive? I’ve been buying five packs lately so I haven’t been as concerned but now that I’m on a sampler grind I want to make sure these are in optimal condition. Obviously it depends on the current humidity levels, number cigars being added, and all sorts of other variables but as a general rule of thumb what do you guys typically do? This is a tupperdor with boveda packs.

Edit: LFD Colorado Oscuro was not for me. Let it go out and didn’t relight it. Now I’m just sitting quietly on the patio with my heater and some wine. I went a grabbed a second cigar but ultimately decided against it.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 9, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I usually wait a day but if they have been in transit for more than a handful of days they sit a week.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I sit on them for a week. Same when the B&M gets new things in, I try them a week later.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I once heard humidity swings are 1 degree a week. I have zero idea if that's true, but I've used that for resting my sticks and haven't had any major trouble. YMMV.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Planet Mike is in boxes right now, but at least the important stuff is still out until the move really kicks into gear.

Blind Tiger Bourbon and a Tatuaje Miami Noella to maintain the sanity tonight.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Warped Don Reynaldo tonight. It was very good but I don’t think I have the palate some folks have. I got mostly nuts, cream, and low key spiciness in the first half and then in the second half I got some really cool lemon (almost like lemon meringue) flavors mixed in. I read some reviews after I smoked it and I definitely didn’t pick out as many flavors as a lot of those folks did but it was still very good. I might get a five pack at some point and try to see if I can pick out more flavors. It was the first cigar I nubbed in a while.

Edit: Okay people let's go, more content required! Having to edit this post to add another cigar post to prevent another double post...

I smoked a Curivari Selección Privada Natural last night. It had good moments but ended up sort of being middle of the road to me. Early on it had angel food cake type flavors (vanilla, nuts, cream?), mixed with wood, and tiny hints of spice. I think the first third was the peak for me. The remainder of the cigar was good but sort of "typical" if that makes sense.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 12, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking a Warped La Hacienda right now and it’s really good. First third has been pepper, a little bit of cream, sweet grass?, tobacco, and some dried fruits almost like in a nutrigrain bar or something similar.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i picked up a cheap box of drew estate's tabak especial cafe con leche, and i don't dig the sugar dipped tip, but it's a solid, fun smoke i can chill in my garage with on a 38 degree day at the end of the night.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i picked up a cheap box of drew estate's tabak especial cafe con leche, and i don't dig the sugar dipped tip, but it's a solid, fun smoke i can chill in my garage with on a 38 degree day at the end of the night.

That's the goofy psuedo-barberpole one right? With both a Maduro and Connecticut wrappers? I remember when those first came out, like two threads ago, a few of us bought a five pack and made it a mini box pass. It was neat, and likely the last flavoured cigar I smoked, but yeah I remember it being sickly sweet.

Credit where it's due, Drew Estate does some really interesting stuff with shapes and multiple wrappers, but I don't care for "infused" cigars at all and I feel like the regular stuff (Liga Privida, KFC, MUWAT, etc.) generally command a price premium I don't feel like they justify.

Not trying to be a downer though, glad you're enjoying them.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I would agree that Drew Estate is overrated / overpriced in general, but I absolutely love the standard Herrera Esteli; particularly the lonsdale.

If anyone is a soda drinker, they go fantastically with cream soda.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I picked up a cigar oasis and that thing is awesome, thanks thread for the recommendation. Moved to the DC area from Florida so besides being cold as poo poo the humidity was getting off.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I got a five pack of Shadow King from CigarAuctioneer because it was one of the best Famous Smoke exclusives I ever tried (possibly the only one I really liked) and it does not disappoint for less than $3 a stick. I think it was $12 for the five pack and sometimes they run crazy deals on the main site or CigarMonster. It’s an AJF cigar and one of the few of his that really grabbed me. Next time you guys buy off one of the Famous Smoke sites check for it and see if it’s cheap. It’s an Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro wrapper, Mexican binder, and a bunch of different fillers. It starts off a little one note but moves into a caramel?, cocoa, and spice (cinnamon and others I couldn’t identify) profile that is tasty.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m going to need this thread to start stepping up: get out there in the cold, neglect your families, take cash advances to pay for sticks just don’t make me start reading Reddit.

I went to my B&M today because they had posted some weird little Tatuaje limited release on Instagram and they had also posted the number one cigar of the year. So I swung by and grabbed a few things. Based on recent thread chatter I grabbed that My Father I had never heard of before and the Fonsecas, and then three counter purchases EPC Pledge, Tatuaje Cohetes Sumatra, and the L’Atelier La Mission.

https://imgur.com/a/iNShqFC

I didn’t realize how many cool little boutique brands they had hidden around. They had all the Surrogates and a bunch of L’Atelier, Foundation, Black Label Trading Company, and I’m sure others I didn’t see. drat you cigars, you win again. One day I’ll set a budget and stick to it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Ive spent the last 4 nights out in the cold, in my garage, listening to dan carlin podcasts.

Feels good, man.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

They had all the Surrogates and a bunch of L’Atelier, Foundation, Black Label Trading Company, and I’m sure others I didn’t see. drat you cigars, you win again. One day I’ll set a budget and stick to it.

If you didn't know L’Atelier is a Pete Johnson brand, and are super good!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone smoked the EPC Pledge? I picked up the last on they had that won cigar of the year (Encore Majestic?) a while back and wasn't really too impressed by it.

I just got over COVID and smoked my first cigar since getting sick a couple nights ago. It was a My Father Flor de las Antilles, one I keep going back to - it was still enjoyable, but also let me know my taste and smell still have a ways to go before they're back to 100%. As soon as I get back to full taste, I've decide there's no use to be saving some of these sticks for some special occasion, and I'm smoking the nicest Padron in my humidor.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Anyone have a cheapish source for 5-finger bags? I've got more loose sticks than bags at the moment, and I get nervous about some of the nicer, older sticks getting roughed up before I'm able to make time for them.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Double posting to say I finally carved out some me time last night and had a Bolivars Royal Corona.

Spicy, leathery, very even burn. Ash held on for about 1 1/2 inches before dropping into the ashtray with a pleasant thud. I finally let it go after about 75 minutes, when I burned my finger taking a puff.

I have a big soft spot for RASS, but I think Boli is my favorite all around Habanos brand.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
RA makes like two cigars now so not a huge sample set :P

I will say RA and Bolivar both have exceptionally good cigars both regular production and re/el versions. I would give the nod to Bolivar for the best regionals and RA for best limited editions.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Hayden posted:

I have a big soft spot for RASS, but I think Boli is my favorite all around Habanos brand.

I have similar feelings.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Ophidian posted:

RA makes like two cigars now so not a huge sample set :P

:colbert:

ThatOneGuy posted:

I have similar feelings.

I would not have guessed.

I will say I recently quit smoking cigarettes, so there was more of a nicotine rush than I was expecting. Not uncomfortable or anything, but a surprise for sure.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Ive spent the last 4 nights out in the cold, in my garage, listening to dan carlin podcasts.

Feels good, man.

This is the way.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally moved the last of my stuff into the new house! The moving company sent the wrong sized truck, but not the wrong size that would have been okay.

I've been smoking left and right, but not like taking the time to really enjoy the stick. I'm doing a minor celebration with a La Aurora 115 and Connemara tonight, looking forward to cracking open the Hakushu 12 year and an Hors d'Ages after I've gotten a chance to really relax.

Glad the cigar oasis is working out, fellow poster! Definitely the best cigar investment I've made.

I'll give those Shadow Kings a shot, too. I don't much care for AJ's blends, but that's cheap enough to not mind banging around in the humidor.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Congrats fellow recent house buyer.

It’s a fun new adventure for sure and a good opportunity to learn basic appliance repair :V

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This Warped Futuro is one of the best cigars I’ve had recently. Tons of spices, cream, bit of pepper, light chocolate, coffee, just a great cigar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hayden posted:

Anyone have a cheapish source for 5-finger bags? I've got more loose sticks than bags at the moment, and I get nervous about some of the nicer, older sticks getting roughed up before I'm able to make time for them.

Earlier in the thread Ophidian recommended these, they work great for protecting old or valuable sticks from getting banged around -

Ophidian posted:

If you are going to be shipping cigars frequently I would suggest buying cigar bags like these:
https://www.aplasticbag.com/product.asp?groupcode=bag11

Had a random 60+ degree day a bit ago, smoked a RASS. Need more nice days to sit outside but I feel pipe smoking season is here for a bit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hey guys reporting in on the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru Corona Grande: it whips.

It's very milk chocolatey, spiced like glügg, and white pepper.

Dang good nicotine level, too, but I'm a glutton.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Hey guys reporting in on the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru Corona Grande: it whips.

It's very milk chocolatey, spiced like glügg, and white pepper.

Dang good nicotine level, too, but I'm a glutton.

Interesting, I will have to check that out. I think my B&M has them so I’ll try to pick one up there, I’m trying to slow the online cigar ordering but I’ve said this a hundred times. I’ve still been smoking about a cigar a day but nothing crazy interesting. The Curivari El Gran Rey was pretty dope though, the Achilles was good but wasn’t super memorable.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

ThatOneGuy posted:

I have similar feelings.

What Boli's do you folks like? I've got a credit for a missing box of RASS and need to spend it on something

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

It's very milk chocolatey

This is my second favorite flavor to discover in a cigar and one of my go to loose bag tobaccos to smoke after lunch in my pipe.

Sadly I had I bought three boxes of Tubed HDM Dark Knights in 2009 because it was not only my American Hoyas but the specific flavor in a very consistent construction and even were better than every Cuban I ever smoked from the first to the present. Every one ended up with the last 2/3 tasted exactly like an marinated steak. Including stuffing the burning butt in my churchwarden. Only cigar I ever fought the urge to chew up and swallow 😜

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Maksimus54 posted:

What Boli's do you folks like? I've got a credit for a missing box of RASS and need to spend it on something

Petite Coronas are my favorite production bolivar by a pretty huge margin. The no 1 tubos are also pretty great but I think they were discontinued.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'd add that I personally love the Royal Coronas, but I haven't had a bad Bolivar. They're probably my favorite Cuban brand if taken as a whole.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Maksimus54 posted:

Royal Corona, and Corona shapes whatever they are called (Petite Corona, Coronas Junior, etc). If you like strength and body in a cigar, do not be tempted by the Belicoso Fino; it is not the Royal Corona in a different vitola.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I recently found a cigar discord, it’s a bit immature but overall not terrible. They have nice setups for verifying new users and then trades, box splits, box passes, wish lists, etc. The only reason I mention it is that prevailing opinion there is that the Bolivar PC is bad and that the BF is good. Just funny to see the different opinions.

I’m smoking an ESG 20 and it’s okay so far but for the price it seems a bit underwhelming. I’m only about a third in so maybe it’s about to shine and I’ll come back with an updated opinion.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That discord isn’t worth being in based on that prevailing opinion alone

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Haha I’ve never had the Belicosos Finos but you guys haven’t steered me wrong yet.

ThatOneGuy posted:

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

It’s viewed as serviceable I believe, haven’t seen any strong opinions on it either way. I’ll report back any whacky opinions they have though.

I run a couple of discord servers so I spend a lot of time in the app and while this is not my favorite group of people it is nice to have a place to poo poo post about cigars.

I smoked that ESG last night and it ended up cracking and then unraveling so I don’t know if it needed more time in the humidor, if it was the cold, or if I hosed up somehow. I did the best I could but ended up chucking it early and getting a Partagas Short which was much better.